PDA

View Full Version : Kotex Boy continues his agenda of hate...

rdivaldi
03-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Looks as though we're being railroaded on our own flagship station boys. I tried giving Kotex Boy the benefit of the doubt, but it's obvious that he's using AM1000 to continue his fight against JR and Sox fans.

This morning he stated that the upper deck changes at the Cell will do very little for the ballpark. The roof is not hanging the right way, the upper deck is still too high, and that fans will still not go up there. He also stated that Sox fans only care about what happens to the Cubs and ignore their team.

Pretty disgusting that he's trying his hardest to rip the new upper deck before he's even SEEN it, or (gasp) gone up there.

How can people even wonder why Sox fans hate the media so much?

sas1974
03-01-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
Looks as though we're being railroaded on our own flagship station boys. I tried giving Kotex Boy the benefit of the doubt, but it's obvious that he's using AM1000 to continue his fight against JR and Sox fans.

This morning he stated that the upper deck changes at the Cell will do very little for the ballpark. The roof is not hanging the right way, the upper deck is still too high, and that fans will still not go up there. He also stated that Sox fans only care about what happens to the Cubs and ignore their team.

Pretty disgusting that he's trying his hardest to rip the new upper deck before he's even SEEN it, or (gasp) gone up there.

What a JACKASS! I think that says it all.

Sad
03-01-2004, 01:23 PM
I still dont see where our upper deck is the worst ever
they're not great seats, no, but they're not THAT BAD if youre near the infield...
:?:
yes, granted the UD on the N side is closer and I presonally like the walkway at the 1/2 way point vs. a steep hike but there are many other parks just like the cell or worse...

that guy needs a new horse to ride...
can't believe he's on the AM airwaves now to boot...

beckett21
03-01-2004, 01:28 PM
Glad you brought this up. I heard it myself this morning. He went on to say how he knows for a fact that the park sucks because he has been to every park in the majors...don't argue with him, he knows for a fact, so there. End of discussion. He also defended advertising at the urinal and the addition of "premium seating" behind home plate at $250 a pop to generate increased revenue to pay for Maddux. As if they don't make enough money already...

I guess it is only fair to rip the guy once you have listened to him...well I have listened....and I have had enough. Total jerkoff.

beckett21
03-01-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
What a JACKASS! I think that says it all.

Doesn't even begin to scratch the surface! :angry:

rdivaldi
03-01-2004, 01:37 PM
He went on to say how he knows for a fact that the park sucks because he has been to every park in the majors...don't argue with him, he knows for a fact, so there. End of discussion

Yeah, that was pretty ignorant of him to say. Kotex Boy has obviously never sat in the nosebleed seats in Coors or in BOB. Both are in the stratosphere compared to the Cell.

What a shame that this slimebag is able to trick more Chicagoans into believing his filth...

Lip Man 1
03-01-2004, 01:43 PM
Just wondering.....

Am I wrong but will the upper deck still be at the same angle? Yes or no. They lopped off the top eight rows but did nothing to change that angle right? (because they couldn't)

I recall that same point being brought up here by fans when the changes were announced back in November.

Personally while the park looks better without question, the upped deck problem remains and will continue to remain.

While I can see anger at the way Jay presented this, that does nothing to change the impression that he's probably right and that the upper deck will continue to be a ghost town (unless of course the Sox actually start winning something...)

Lip

doublem23
03-01-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Personally while the park looks better without question, the upped deck problem remains and will continue to remain.

It remains because the hysterics of the douchebag for whom this thread is named and his ilk. I'm sure asking him to be fair in his critique of the park is too much to ask, but if he'd ever travel to some of the other new, "cozy" ballparks, he'd find the Cell's upper bowl relatively tame.

SaltyPretzel
03-01-2004, 01:47 PM
The top rows that were removed were at a higher angle than the lower rows. So in a way, the steepness of the upperdeck was addressed. BTW, does anyone know where we could find comparisons of the new stadiums in terms of height and steepness of their seats? I've been to several of the new parks and the Cell's uppermost seats can't be any higher now compared to the other parks.

duke of dorwood
03-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Turned him off before 9:10 today

sas1974
03-01-2004, 01:58 PM
There is no Upper Deck Problem! It only exists because idiots are looking for reasons to rip the Sox. It's a good vantage point for those that choose not to pay the prices in the lower deck. Would I prefer to sit there as opposed to the lower deck? Of course not, but sometimes it's a choice between going to the game or staying home (ie-cubs, yankees games). I admit that I have rarely sat up there, but that's bc I would rather be as close as possible to the field and don't mind paying the $35 to do it. Bottom line is that it's not that bad. Is it steep? Yes, but I would rather it be steep and feel closer to the field then a lower angle and be further away.

Sad
03-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Im not sure if this site would have that or not,
I think they had a compare-seat- views, however some of the features they want $ to access...

check it out

www.seatdata.com

beckett21
03-01-2004, 02:15 PM
Just wondering.....

Am I wrong but will the upper deck still be at the same angle? Yes or no. They lopped off the top eight rows but did nothing to change that angle right? (because they couldn't)

I recall that same point being brought up here by fans when the changes were announced back in November.

While I can see anger at the way Jay presented this, that does nothing to change the impression that he's probably right and that the upper deck will continue to be a ghost town (unless of course the Sox actually start winning something...)

Lip

Lip,

That in essence was the crux of his argument, that the angle of the UD was the same. It was the smugness in which he made his statements, and his omnipotence all things baseball and baseball stadiums which were irritating.

Here we are addressing "percieved" problems with the ballpark, and instead of lauding the Sox' efforts, it gives Moronnoti more ammo against us. Whether or not he is right is not the point; had you heard the tone of his statements and the attitude he portrayed as the ultimate authority in ballparks, you would have been offended as well. Yet he all but embraced changes to "the shrine" in the name of making more money.

I do not know the man, but he is a hypocrite and will NEVER give the White Sox a fair shake in ANYTHING they EVER do. I have no use for his drivel. The man is a hemorrhoid on the ass which is the Chicago media.

beckett21
03-01-2004, 02:25 PM
Yeah, that was pretty ignorant of him to say. Kotex Boy has obviously never sat in the nosebleed seats in Coors or in BOB. Both are in the stratosphere compared to the Cell.

What a shame that this slimebag is able to trick more Chicagoans into believing his filth...

I'm sure that with his media credentials he spends a lot of time with the "commoners" in the upper reaches of every ballpark in America.

IronFisk
03-01-2004, 02:27 PM
The man is a hemorrhoid on the ass which is the Chicago media. [/B]

AMEN Brother!

I think the most positive aspect of the UD changes will simply be the appearance. With a larger overhang, and an open space between the stands and the roof, it will provide for a lot more character and feeling. You can't really measure this, but I am certain it will become apparent once we get up there....which is another stone to throw at Mr. Kotex.

Irishsox1
03-01-2004, 02:30 PM
Jay is just going with the popular opinion that the upper deck is bad. Every upper deck is bad, but this is what is "shocking", so thats what he says. Every morning Jay pulls his finger out of his butt, licks it and sticks it up in the air. Whatever the popular opinion is, thats what he writes about, but he does something other writers won't do. He writes it from a 5th grade level and not the usual 7th grade level. He's a total hack writer.

rahulsekhar
03-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Jay is just going with the popular opinion that the upper deck is bad. Every upper deck is bad, but this is what is "shocking", so thats what he says. Every morning Jay pulls his finger out of his butt, licks it and sticks it up in the air. Whatever the popular opinion is, thats what he writes about, but he does something other writers won't do. He writes it from a 5th grade level and not the usual 7th grade level. He's a total hack writer.

I disagree.....he wakes up, pulls his head out of Sham-me's butt, and sees which cheek he feels the breeze on.

beckett21
03-01-2004, 02:40 PM
Lets look at it this way:

If the teams were reversed, and the CUBS were making alterations to Comiskey i.e. UD renovations, I would be willing to bet the human hemorrhoid would say what a great, fan-friendly gesture this was. I mean, after all, taking OUT seats, what a nice thing to do to improve the aesthetics of the ballpark.

At the same time, out of the other "cheek,", he would RIP the Sox as insatiable money-grubbing swine for adding three rows of premium seats behind home plate, commercializing and adding advertisments to "the urinal," (which would become his term of choice if it were home of the Sox), blocking the view of the rooftops with screens--what a HORRIFIC thing to do to your fans, as well as fleece them by scalping their own tickets to their "lemmings."

And you tell me there is no double standard in this town?

I beg to differ.

Blueprint1
03-01-2004, 02:57 PM
I sit in the upper deck at least once per year. I get most of my tickets from advertisers for free but when i have to buy tickets myself i always buy an upperdeck ticket. why would i do this? Well in my opinion the seats are not bad. its a cheap place to watch. with the new roof it will be even better.

Medford Bobby
03-01-2004, 03:13 PM
The upper deck at Coors Field is indeed too high..........higher than The Sell and no one wants to lob off seats at Coors.....Actually the rockpile is cheaper and feels like you are on the field............good seats for 5 bucks......

TaylorStSox
03-01-2004, 03:24 PM
No disrespect here. Take a look at the the threads on this board. They would lead many to believe that people are more concerned with The Cubs than The Sox.

ChiSoxBobette
03-01-2004, 04:41 PM

As far as our field how would he know. As far as Sox fans only caring about the scrubs then he should go to a White Sox site and see all of the scrub fans on our sites, he was he was probably one of the idiots saturday night on espn radio asking which scrub pitcher would be starting in the 1st playoff game WHAT A BUNCH OF DORKS!

rdivaldi
03-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
No disrespect here. Take a look at the the threads on this board. They would lead many to believe that people are more concerned with The Cubs than The Sox.

I disagree with that statement. I'd say about 10% of the threads on this board are about how much someone hates the Flubs. I've yet to meet a Sox fan who is more concerned with hating the Flubbies than loving/hating their own team. Don't believe the hype...

SoxFan76
03-01-2004, 04:48 PM

This isn't about the game on the field. It is the continuous disrespect from our own city's media personalities. He only says the upper deck is bad because that's the popular opinion, no matter how untrue it is. If he has been to every park, he would know that Comiskey is no where near the worst in the Majors. That is a load of crap. Upper deck aside, if he ever said TB and the Twinkies have a better stadium than the Sox, then he should be yanked off the air.

TaylorStSox
03-01-2004, 05:02 PM
My point is that who cares if we're in the minority. I was born a Sox fan. I take pride in it. No amount of negative media coverage will make me think differently. I could care less how many idiots on the north side go to that hell hole. When I see Cubs coverage, I change the channel. It'll never be fair. That's fine.

At the person that said 10% of this board is about Cubs hating: Look at the amount of Cubs threads today alone.

I love this board. However, the concentration needs to be on our team.

rdivaldi
03-01-2004, 05:08 PM
My point is that who cares if we're in the minority. I was born a Sox fan. I take pride in it. No amount of negative media coverage will make me think differently. I could care less how many idiots on the north side go to that hell hole. When I see Cubs coverage, I change the channel. It'll never be fair. That's fine.

At the person that said 10% of this board is about Cubs hating: Look at the amount of Cubs threads today alone.

I love this board. However, the concentration needs to be on our team.

I appreciate a long time Sox fan, as I was converted from the dark side years ago.

Judging by todays threads I see 6/35 dealing with the "other team". That's about 17%, so maybe a little more than what I originally said.

While I appreciate the fact that the media will not change your stance, you have to look at the big picture. The more disparity in the media, the more kids growing Flubbie fans due to their very impressionable minds being bombarded by propaganda. I view it as a war of attrition.

Jerko
03-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Yeah, the UD at the Cell sucks. I'd much rather sit on top of a row of stands on the roof of a building across the street from the park. Those are real nice.

TaylorStSox
03-01-2004, 05:29 PM
I agree with your points. However, the media doesn't reflect the amount of Sox fans that there are in this city and the surrounding areas. Our walk up crowds were huge in August when the team played to it's potential. There really are a ton of Sox fans. Perhaps I'm being too optimistic, but I truly believe that any knowledgable baseball fan knows that Wrigley is full of frat boys and seniors from Iowa. There's enough of us to be a presence in this city. The team has to perform though.

rdivaldi
03-01-2004, 06:04 PM
I agree with your points. However, the media doesn't reflect the amount of Sox fans that there are in this city and the surrounding areas. Our walk up crowds were huge in August when the team played to it's potential. There really are a ton of Sox fans. Perhaps I'm being too optimistic, but I truly believe that any knowledgable baseball fan knows that Wrigley is full of frat boys and seniors from Iowa. There's enough of us to be a presence in this city. The team has to perform though.

What disappoints me the most is what happened in 2000. A team that lead the division practically wire to wire, and won the most games in baseball, should have drawn more than 1.9 million fans. The fans were constantly being ripped in the media, and how many snide "empty blue seat" columns and newscasts did we see that year? Sox fans in general dropped the ball in 2000.

But yeah, there are more than enough Sox fans in Chicago(land) to make a strong presence in the face of the Losers In Blue lovefest going on right now. The problem is, will they make their presence felt. My guess is, "No".

joecrede
03-01-2004, 06:32 PM
How many bad seats are we talking about at the Cell now, 2,500 - 3,000? Why would Mariotti harp on them? Oh that's right, he's the least talented and laziest sports media member in Chicago this side of Mike North. All he knows is how to appeal to the masses.

rdivaldi
03-01-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
All he knows is how to appeal to the masses.

That statement in itself is scary. Kotex Boy should not appeal to the "masses". He should appeal to the sheep of the world, those who cannot form their own ideas.

pearso66
03-01-2004, 06:49 PM
I personally enjoy the UD. I think I've sat in the lower bowl 2-3 times tops, all the others, around 30-40 were in the UD, including 1 that was 2 rows from the very top. You can see everything just fine, and I'd much rather sit in the UD behind homeplate or 3rd or 1st base than sitting in the OF. My uncle had season tickets 5 rows back in the UD right behind home plate, and I thought the seats were amazing. There is nothing wrong with the Cell.

I actually think its funny when columnists write about the same thign all the time, attendance, UD, Thomas being pissy, because that means they dont have anything else bad to write about us, so they go back to what appeals to Cub fans. They have nothing bad against us, so they use the same argument. I dont even care anymore.

Frater Perdurabo
03-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Just wondering.....

Lip

I have to disagree, Lip.

The Upper Deck "problem" is a matter of perception. Of course it is rather steep. But it is no steeper than some other upper decks at other pro sports stadiums. But because the media beats the dead horse of the horrible, terrible upper deck at the Cell, it becomes the truth. Hitler was a master of propaganda. He said that if you tell a lie long enough, eventually it becomes the "truth."

Until the media stops parroting the upper deck myth, the situation is not going to change. What makes it most egregious, though, is that MARIOTTI HAS NOT HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO WATCH A GAME FROM THE UPPER DECK SINCE THE RENOVATION!

I'm withholding judgment until I have the opportunity to sit up there. I wish Mariotti would give the renovated upper deck the same courtesy. He hasn't been up there yet, perhaps he should just shut up before he propagandizes still more listeners.

Lip Man 1
03-01-2004, 08:43 PM
The comment was made: "What disappoints me the most is what happened in 2000. A team that lead the division practically wire to wire, and won the most games in baseball, should have drawn more than 1.9 million fans."

Of course the fact that the team was a fluke given their 'imposing' records in both 1998 - 1999 have nothing to do with it right?

The fact that most good fans, let alone the run of the mill ones didn't know who half the players on the team were had nothing to do with it right?

And the fact that the Sox were basically mediocre from the time Cal Eldred walked off the mound in the 4th inning of that July game versus the Cards holding his elbow had nothing to do with it right?

The Sox should have been grateful they drew what they did instead of having Manager Gandhi open his mouth and rip the fans that September.

As others have already stated here at WSI, the only way attendence starts to build up is with consistent winning seasons and playoff races. Over a period of at least four or five years. Only that will begin to wash away the stains of the organization, the 94 labor impasse and the 97 White Flag Trade.

Lip

SoxFan76
03-01-2004, 08:59 PM
I don't care what any Cub drone says. Last year some big crowds were showing up when the Sox were winning. I don't have numbers, but I believe they were bringing in numbers pretty close to the Cubs. Now I could be way off, but I thought I remember some 30 plus thousand showing up.

Lip Man 1
03-01-2004, 11:19 PM
The Sox averaged about 26-28 thousand per game after July 1 (when they made the trades) They also had the largest walk up game day sales in franchise history.

Bottom line, winning solves a bunch of problems.

Lip

rahulsekhar
03-01-2004, 11:26 PM
The comment was made: "What disappoints me the most is what happened in 2000. A team that lead the division practically wire to wire, and won the most games in baseball, should have drawn more than 1.9 million fans."

Of course the fact that the team was a fluke given their 'imposing' records in both 1998 - 1999 have nothing to do with it right?

The fact that most good fans, let alone the run of the mill ones didn't know who half the players on the team were had nothing to do with it right?

And the fact that the Sox were basically mediocre from the time Cal Eldred walked off the mound in the 4th inning of that July game versus the Cards holding his elbow had nothing to do with it right?

The Sox should have been grateful they drew what they did instead of having Manager Gandhi open his mouth and rip the fans that September.

As others have already stated here at WSI, the only way attendence starts to build up is with consistent winning seasons and playoff races. Over a period of at least four or five years. Only that will begin to wash away the stains of the organization, the 94 labor impasse and the 97 White Flag Trade.

Lip

I think the point is that fans of other teams do not have the requirement of consistent winning. If a team gets hot and is leading the division/making the playoffs, they tend to come out. It's primarily Sox fans who don't. That makes it that much more difficult for the team because it means they don't get any real benefit from a good season or 2 - they need to invest over multiple years before attendance benefits accrue. Most other teams don't have that problem. They win, they draw - as simple as that. With the Sox it's: they win.....fans say "well, show me more". That may be warranted, but it certainly disadvantages the Sox relative to other teams.

doublem23
03-02-2004, 05:21 AM
What disappoints me the most is what happened in 2000. A team that lead the division practically wire to wire, and won the most games in baseball, should have drawn more than 1.9 million fans. The fans were constantly being ripped in the media, and how many snide "empty blue seat" columns and newscasts did we see that year? Sox fans in general dropped the ball in 2000.

What? Attendance jumped like 45% that year.

rdivaldi
03-02-2004, 11:18 AM
Sorry guys I don't agree with your assessments of 2000 at all. A team in a large market with a team that leads wire to wire shouldn't be drawing 1.9 million fans, even if we weren't expected to do well. I remember plenty of beautiful summer days during that season when there were only 20,000 fans in Comiskey. Drawing 2 million fans is not that impressive, that's only 25,000 fans per game. It was pathetic that we couldn't even achieve that level. Improving 40% really isn't that great when you were only drawing 16,000 fans per game in the first place.

Secondly, Lip you really need to relax. I understand that you're frustrated and have been a Sox fan much longer than I have, but there's really no reason for your venomous replies to anyone you don't agree with. Simple disagreements about a baseball team/organization should not warrant the extreme sarcasm and anger you seem to display. Peace...

Frater Perdurabo
03-02-2004, 11:43 AM
The Sox averaged about 26-28 thousand per game after July 1 (when they made the trades) They also had the largest walk up game day sales in franchise history.

Bottom line, winning solves a bunch of problems.

Lip

I'll drink to that. :gulp:

Iwritecode
03-02-2004, 11:55 AM
Drawing 2 million fans is not that impressive, that's only 25,000 fans per game.

Which would have required what? almost 20,000 in walk-up sales every game???

That's a lot to ask. I don't care which team it is or how good they are doing.

Plus, you have to consider that there were still plenty of people upset about the strike and WFT in 2000.

Hell, they still are to this day and refuse to go to another game until JR is gone.

Lip Man 1
03-02-2004, 12:47 PM
Rdivaldi:

I get sarcastic but only on rare occurances do I get personal and then I make it a point to apologize. I dislike getting personal and wish some of my critics would feel the same way since they never apologize afterwards.

I didn't feel my comments were anything out of ordinary or were disrespectful I pointed out why that opinion was wrong (in my opinion).

I could have said something like 'so and so is an idiot because he thinks fans should have come out more in 2000.'

But I didn't say that.

Lip

Tekijawa
03-02-2004, 01:21 PM

then pay the extra 8 bucks and sit in the empty seats in the lower bowl! This is like saying that a steak house sucks because you had the Hamburger...

I'm begining to dislike more and more people everyday...

rdivaldi
03-02-2004, 02:25 PM
That's cool Lip, as long as we're not squabbling like schoolgirls...