PDA

View Full Version : Prior out 5-10 days....

Mickster
03-01-2004, 11:28 AM
Here is the link (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-cubs-prior&prov=ap&type=lgns) to the Yahoo article.

A crack in the cubbie armor coming early....

WSox8404
03-01-2004, 11:29 AM
And so the downfall slowly begins..............

Baby Fisk
03-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Almighty God, why have you forsaken the Cubbies?! :cool:

sas1974
03-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Mickster
Here is the link (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-cubs-prior&prov=ap&type=lgns) to the Yahoo article.

Good to see. Now let's see him overcompensate for that ankle and throw off those great mechanics. Sophomore Jinx anyone?

SoxxoS
03-01-2004, 11:39 AM
Coming to a theatre near you:

The Passion of the Prior

Hangar18
03-01-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Mickster

Thank You God

doublem23
03-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Coming to a theatre near you:

The Passion of the Prior

:)

cubhater
03-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Gee...I thought the Bartman Ball destruction would prevent this from happening? Somewhere there's a smiling goat! :)

WinningUgly!
03-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by cubhater
Gee...I thought the Bartman Ball destruction would prevent this from happening? Somewhere there's a smiling goat! :)

The Big Squirt
03-01-2004, 01:19 PM
Per ESPN.com...looks like their Roman god Hermes has got a little ouchy.

Fisk Fan
03-01-2004, 02:34 PM
And so it begins................

Northside fan
03-01-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Thank You God

Classy post. Shows a lot about you to be HAPPY about an injury to a player. Hating a team is one thing, to be HAPPY about an injury to a player on that team is worse then pathetic.

Furthermore, he will be back in 10 days. That must really piss you off. I'm sure you are like-Damn!! Why could it not be season or career ending?

doublem23
03-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Northside fan
Classy post. Shows alot about you to be HAPPY about an injury to a player. Hating a team is one thing, to be HAPPY about an injury to a player on that team is worse then pathetic.

I think Hangar's quote was more that this is hopefully the sign that the Cubs are ****ed this year. Irregardless, Prior's a little punk ****head, so he can wallow in the depth's of hell for all I care. But he's a Cub, so that's already taken care of.

TaylorStSox
03-01-2004, 02:54 PM
I'm with the Cub fan here. How can you be happy about a player being injured.

Northside fan
03-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
[B
Irregardless, Prior's a little punk ****head, so he can wallow in the depth's of hell for all I care. But he's a Cub, so that's already taken care of. [/B]

But if he played for the Sox we know you would say he is one of the best pitchers in the game, no?

Hangar18
03-01-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I think Hangar's quote was more that this is hopefully the sign that the Cubs are ****ed this year. Irregardless, Prior's a little punk ****head, so he can wallow in the depth's of hell for all I care. But he's a Cub, so that's already taken care of.

what doublem said

OEO Magglio
03-01-2004, 03:10 PM
But if he played for the Sox we know you would say he is one of the best pitchers in the game, no?
Doublem23 didn't say he wasn't one of the best pitchers in baseball, we all know prior is one of the best around. But don't be so quick just to call it a 10 day injury, some of these things can be nagging and lead to other injuries.

santo=dorf
03-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
I'm with the Cub fan here. How can you be happy about a player being injured.

He makes millions of more dollars than I ever will playing a game.

ericthecubfan
03-01-2004, 03:19 PM
I'm a Cubs fan and I want to have Mark Prior's baby.

:troll

Northside fan
03-01-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Doublem23 didn't say he wasn't one of the best pitchers in baseball, we all know prior is one of the best around. But don't be so quick just to call it a 10 day injury, some of these things can be nagging and lead to other injuries.

You are correct but all indications are that it is not that big of a deal. I really am more amazed that there are some posters here that are CELEBRATING. That is classless anyway you slice it.

Meixner007
03-01-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by ericthecubfan
uhhh guys, he is only out for up to 10 spring training days, this isnt the season or the playoffs, remember last year when he was out for a month, came back strong as he was before, if not stronger......cub fans have nothin to worry about.

The cubs have a lot to worry about. No lefties in the starting rotation, possible future injuries, the Astros, possible lack of offense, and samMe's clubhouse cancerous ways.

Northside fan
03-01-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
He makes millions of more dollars than I ever will playing a game.

So if you see Mark Cuban walking down the street and he breaks his leg after getting hit by a car, do you applaud?

Meixner007
03-01-2004, 03:28 PM
So if you see Mark Cuban walking down the street and he breaks his leg after getting hit by a car, do you applaud?

Cuban made his money off his intelligence...which I may add is a lot more than you can ever hope on having.

Northside fan
03-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Meixner007
Cuban made his money off his intelligence...which I may add is a lot more than you can ever hope on having.

So you are saying it is ok to applaud when a ATHLETE gets hurt? On the second comment, very laughable.

Meixner007
03-01-2004, 03:34 PM
All I'm saying is that you submitted the wrong quote in your post. You're comparing apples and oranges. On the second part, thanks, I'm glad you enjoy my humor.

santo=dorf
03-01-2004, 03:37 PM

Only if Mark Cuban is being hailed as the next Messiah by the Chicago media.

white sox bill
03-01-2004, 03:39 PM
No I don't want Prior hurt, just for him to suck this yr. Thats all

Northside fan
03-01-2004, 03:41 PM

Oh, so because of the MEDIA you would applaud a injury to someone? Interesting logic. Seems you have a problem with the Media, not Prior. And one can only wonder what you would say if Prior was wearing a Sox jersey with number 22 on the back of it.

Northside fan
03-01-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by white sox bill
No I don't want Prior hurt, just for him to suck this yr. Thats all

Now that I understand. Nothing at all wrong with that.

white sox bill
03-01-2004, 03:47 PM
What gets lost is the fact that this mans a living, breathing human being---trying to make a living, trying to eke it out on millions, poor guy. Nah, I don't wish an injury on ANYONE even a cub

santo=dorf
03-01-2004, 03:47 PM
Oh, so because of the MEDIA you would applaud a injury to someone? Interesting logic. Seems you have a problem with the Media, not Prior. And one can only wonder what you would say if Prior was wearing a Sox jersey with number 22 on the back of it.

It was a joke. What about the people who are in fantasy leagues and don't have tootiredprior on their team?

white sox bill
03-01-2004, 03:49 PM
Thankx Northside Fan, my new resolution is to respect others opinoins regardless!

white sox bill
03-01-2004, 03:50 PM
regardless of the fact I can't spell!!

Konerko05
03-01-2004, 03:51 PM

Why are you being retarded? You wish injury on a person just because they make more money than you or because the media hypes him as a great pitcher. Maybe the media hypes him because he is a great pitcher and he will continue to be a great pitcher for the rest of his career.

Yes, he's on the Cubs and not the Sox but that's really not his fault. Wishing him to be hurt seems pretty ridiculous.

hftrex
03-01-2004, 03:56 PM
Its the curse of the ghost of the Bartman ball!

santo=dorf
03-01-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Konerko05
Why are you being retarded? You wish injury on a person just because they make more money than you or because the media hypes him as a great pitcher. Maybe the media hypes him because he is a great pitcher and he will continue to be a great pitcher for the rest of his career.

Yes, he's on the Cubs and not the Sox but that's really not his fault. Wishing him to be hurt seems pretty ridiculous.

Show me where I said I wished for him to be hurt. I'm only coming up with possible reasons why some people are glad he suffered an injury. I know he is going to bounce back and be fine. Yes I'm sick of him being shoved down our throats, and why should someone busting their ass through college be upset when a millionaire gets a boo-boo?

Konerko05
03-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Yes I'm sick of him being shoved down our throats, and why should someone busting their ass through college be upset when a millionaire gets a boo-boo?

Sounds like you're a little jealous. When you have the talent that Prior does then you can go and make millions. So are you happy when Frank Thomas gets hurt too? I mean he is a millionare. Also, I'm sure most major league players busted their ass their whole life to reach the major leagues. I'm sorry you have to write some papers in college.

steff
03-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Thank You God

Even for you.. crossing a line. Sad.

longshot7
03-01-2004, 04:10 PM
he played for USC so he's okay in my book - even if he now plays for the enemy. I hope Mark gets better - but I hope Sammy gets hit by a car.

kittle42
03-01-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Meixner007
intelligence...which I may add is a lot more than you can ever hope on having.

There was absolutely no need for that.

Baby Fisk
03-01-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Hey Kittle42, ye of the grammatical ways -- I actually thought about you this weekend. No, not in "that kind of way" -- not that there's anything wrong with that, etc etc.

I'm reading this book called Twilight Teams by Jeff Stuart. It's about 6 MLB teams that moved from one city to another during the 50s-70s: Boston Braves, St. Louis Browns, Phila A's, NY Giants, Brooklyn Dodgers and Washington Senators. The book is so-so. I'll write a review when I'm done, but what blew me away was the atrocious amount of typos. This book was badly in need of a proofreader before publishing. There were 3 glaring typos in the first 5 pages, so I started keeping score on the last page just to see how bad it gets. And it's pretty damn bad. This man commits atrocities to commas and apostrophes like you've never seen in your life.

Anyway, keep up the battle! :cool:

steff
03-01-2004, 04:31 PM

There was no need for a lot of things posted in this thread...

TaylorStSox
03-01-2004, 04:31 PM
The thing that really disturbs is that alot of people probably wish that the Twins would have drafted him #1 overall instead of the Cubs.

kittle42
03-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
I'll write a review when I'm done, but what blew me away was the atrocious amount of typos. This book was badly in need of a proofreader before publishing. There were 3 glaring typos in the first 5 pages, so I started keeping score on the last page just to see how bad it gets. And it's pretty damn bad. This man commits atrocities to commas and apostrophes like you've never seen in your life.

Anyway, keep up the battle! :cool:

This reminds me of when I used to work for the (former) WWF. They started putting out books "written" by the wrestlers - I believe the first one was The Rock's. In any event, the books were given to me and a few others to proof, and they were always, alwyas filled with misspellings and atrocious grammar - they even would screw up the names of their own talent. Idiots. And then when we would suggest edits, they rarely ever made them. I suppose when you are pandering to wrestling fans who can't read anyway, it doesn't really matter.

Baby Fisk
03-01-2004, 04:35 PM
This reminds me of when I used to work for the (former) WWF. They started putting out books "written" by the wrestlers - I believe the first one was The Rock's. In any event, the books were given to me and a few others to proof, and they were always, alwyas filled with misspellings and atrocious grammar - they even would screw up the names of their own talent. Idiots. And then when we would suggest edits, they rarely ever made them. I suppose when you are pandering to wrestling fans who can't read anyway, it doesn't really matter.
Gosh, which is worse: wrestlers who write books or the people who buy and read these books? :?:

CWSGuy406
03-01-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
The thing that really disturbs is that alot of people probably wish that the Twins would have drafted him #1 overall instead of the Cubs.

I think the jury is still out on that, though even if Joe Mauer is really, really awesome, I'd still rather have Prior than him.

What I'm saying is in a three game series, there'd be a chance we wouldn't even face Prior. But if Mauer turns out to be real good, I don't like the thought of our pitchers facing him 9-14 times a series...

MarkEdward
03-01-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Gosh, which is worse: wrestlers who write books or the people who buy and read these books? :?:

Don't generalize here. I've only read one wrestling book (Mick Foley's "Have a Nice Day"), and if you're a wrestling fan, it's a great read. He has some hilarious anecdotes, and the reader gets a glimpse inside the mind of a crazy man (watching some of Foley's matches, I'm convinced that he's pretty deranged). Aside from his in-ring antics, though, Foley is a very intelligent guy. It's not an epic of literature, but it's not supposed to be. I'd call it the "Ball Four" of wrestling books.

CubKilla
03-01-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Don't generalize here. I've only read one wrestling book (Mick Foley's "Have a Nice Day"), and if you're a wrestling fan, it's a great read. He has some hilarious anecdotes, and the reader gets a glimpse inside the mind of a crazy man (watching some of Foley's matches, I'm convinced that he's pretty deranged). Aside from his in-ring antics, though, Foley is a very intelligent guy. It's not an epic of literature, but it's not supposed to be. I'd call it the "Ball Four" of wrestling books.

Agreed. Mick Foley is a talented writer whose book gave wrestling fans a glimpse of what it is like in front of and behind the scenes of wrestling that's rarely, if ever, seen through the lens of a TV camera.

MRKARNO
03-01-2004, 05:57 PM
While I am not applauding his injury, I am applauding Prior's inability to contribute to the Cubs and potential for being unable to contribute to the Cubs down the line.

munchman33
03-01-2004, 06:15 PM
I heard the wise guys talking about this today. Bafone said he had similar problems, which eventually led to him snapping the achilles tendon. He said normally this is a problem with football players, as their muscular cavs cause extreme pressure on the tendon. Prior's legs are built like a football player, which is why he has this problem.

I'd say this makes me happy, but Xerxes might chastise me again. :D:

AOEllis
03-01-2004, 11:49 PM
I was talking with 2 people today, one of whom was a Cardinal fan, and the other a Cub fan. The Card fan said, "Prior hurt his achilles, the long and painful season for the Cubs begins." Without missing a beat the Cub fan replies, "Well at least Mark Prior is still alive." [refering to Darryl Kile]

Now people were saying before that cheering an injury is low, but this? I think this wins out in the lowness factor.

JoseCanseco6969
03-02-2004, 12:17 AM
Sounds like you're a little jealous. When you have the talent that Prior does then you can go and make millions. So are you happy when Frank Thomas gets hurt too? I mean he is a millionare. Also, I'm sure most major league players busted their ass their whole life to reach the major leagues. I'm sorry you have to write some papers in college.

Hey tough guy, I know plenty of Cubs fans that were pretty happy when Thomas went down. I still hear people bring up the tricep injury and laugh. I for one was glad to see the injury to Prior but wish it was for a longer time. And I'm also sick of people calling him a lock as a future hall of famer. Yes he may someday, but let him pitch great for more than one full season to make that assumption. With the overwork Dustiny Baker puts on him, he could have a very short career.

Konerko05
03-02-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by JoseCanseco6969
Hey tough guy, I know plenty of Cubs fans that were pretty happy when Thomas went down. I still hear people bring up the tricep injury and laugh. I for one was glad to see the injury to Prior but wish it was for a longer time. And I'm also sick of people calling him a lock as a future hall of famer. Yes he may someday, but let him pitch great for more than one full season to make that assumption. With the overwork Dustiny Baker puts on him, he could have a very short career.

Whats your point? Just because some Cub fans are morons, does't mean I have to be too. Go cheer on your boy Canseco in LA, he looked pretty good in the outfield today haha.

JoseCanseco6969
03-02-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by AOEllis
I was talking with 2 people today, one of whom was a Cardinal fan, and the other a Cub fan. The Card fan said, "Prior hurt his achilles, the long and painful season for the Cubs begins." Without missing a beat the Cub fan replies, "Well at least Mark Prior is still alive." [refering to Darryl Kile]

Now people were saying before that cheering an injury is low, but this? I think this wins out in the lowness factor.

Wow, now that guy seriously deserved a punch in the face from that cardinals fan. Hell, I'd be happy to deck that ass myself for making a comment like that. No matter how much you hate a team or even want a player hurt, joking about death is not cool at all.

santo=dorf
03-02-2004, 12:43 AM

I'm not jealous because I don't want to be a baseball player (I wouldn't mind it.) I don't understand why people are feeling so bad for this guy after he suffered a minor injury. I'm already reading posts from Cub fans to say a prayer. What makes you think I was happy when Frank went down with an injury? I never even said I was happy that Prior got hurt.

JoseCanseco6969
03-02-2004, 12:48 AM
Whats your point? Just because some Cub fans are morons, does't mean I have to be too. Go cheer on your boy Canseco in LA, he looked pretty good in the outfield today haha.

Yeah Canseco is washed up I know, but get your facts straight, he was at first base. hows your boy konerko and his bum-ass hip?

Konerko05
03-02-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by JoseCanseco6969
Yeah Canseco is washed up I know, but get your facts straight, he was at first base. hows your boy konerko and his bum-ass hip?

Not that it really matters, but ESPN showed highlights of him fielding a ball in the outfield then throwing home. It didn't look too pretty. Yeah Konerko sucks, I know. I was just joking around about the Canseco thing anyways.

Hangar18
03-02-2004, 01:33 AM
Man...Im just hearing it was an Achilles Heel injury.
that could HURT HIM BIG TIME ALL YEAR. HURRAH.
though im not applauding him getting hurt, IM APPLAUDING
the Media not being able to write stories ahead of time
with him out. as you were

ewokpelts
03-02-2004, 01:55 AM
Man...Im just hearing it was an Achilles Heel injury.
that could HURT HIM BIG TIME ALL YEAR. HURRAH.
though im not applauding him getting hurt, IM APPLAUDING
the Media not being able to write stories ahead of time
with him out. as you were

Henry,
Switch to decaf......
Gene

doublem23
03-02-2004, 04:16 AM

I never said he wasn't, but if you're honestly reaching that Sox fans are the only fans in the world whose opinions of pro athletes is dependant on what hat they wear, that's ridiculous. There have been a line of Sox players I didn't like, and there are many players on teams I despise that I am somewhat fond of. Anyway, Prior's still going to be raking in the dough. I wouldn't shed a tear.

Realist
03-02-2004, 05:59 AM
For chrissake, we're SOUTHSIDERS. The fact that we don't wish every Cub player DEAD is one hell of a reach for us. Let 'em all tear their labrum or labia or whatever them northsiders are sporting these days.

It's not like we're gonna drive 'em all out to some field in northwest Indiana with a spade shovel and a bag of lime in our trunk. Sheesh lighten up you northside latte drinkin' slack jaws. Your boys are gonna make a pile of cash no matter what happens to their poor ligaments or tendons.

I hope the Cubs lose 100 games and I don't give a flyin' rat's patootee how it happens.

blueeyes33
03-02-2004, 06:14 AM
i think sometimes alot of you guys would rather see the cubs loose than the sox win.who cares about them lets talk about us god dammit

Realist
03-02-2004, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by blueeyes33
i think sometimes alot of you guys would rather see the cubs loose than the sox win.who cares about them lets talk about us god dammit

Aw screw that crap. I grew up LOVING the White Sox and HATING the Cubs damn near as much. I bleed black and silver but that doesn't mean that I have to ignore the Flubs. Hating the Flubs and their mindless fans is almost half the fun of loving the White Sox.

Seperatism is fun. I love fun. Stop trying to rain on my fun.

white sox bill
03-02-2004, 06:28 AM
I'm with you Realist, (except the injury part), hating the flubs is like having a 2nd favorite team(meaning whoever the flubs are playing)
Bill

Realist
03-02-2004, 06:33 AM
I know what you mean. I don't sit around "lighting candles" hoping that every Cub player comes down with ovarian cancer, but if they do... I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. :D:

SSN721
03-02-2004, 06:39 AM
Wow, this is really starting to turn ugly. I hate the Cubs as well, but I still wouldn't say the hate for the Cubs is on the same level as my love for the Sox. I will always care much more about the Sox then what is happening with the Cubs. And even wanting them to lose, I would rather they were all healthy and just performed poorly on the field. To me that is much more rewarding then having the staff injured, because then it would be everyone saying, "oh, if only the staff wasn't injured we'd be the best." Let them play healthy and let them play it out. If they are good, so be it, nothing we can do to change that. If they fail, all the better being completely healthy. If we have to hope for injury to have them fail we are only acknowledging how good they are that that is the only way they can fail. And I still think to hope or be happy for an injury to any player, regardless of how much they make, is just in poor taste and sportsmanship.

Realist
03-02-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
Wow, this is really starting to turn ugly. I hate the Cubs as well, but I still wouldn't say the hate for the Cubs is on the same level as my love for the Sox. I will always care much more about the Sox then what is happening with the Cubs. And even wanting them to lose, I would rather they were all healthy and just performed poorly on the field. To me that is much more rewarding then having the staff injured, because then it would be everyone saying, "oh, if only the staff wasn't injured we'd be the best." Let them play healthy and let them play it out. If they are good, so be it, nothing we can do to change that. If they fail, all the better being completely healthy. If we have to hope for injury to have them fail we are only acknowledging how good they are that that is the only way they can fail. And I still think to hope or be happy for an injury to any player, regardless of how much they make, is just in poor taste and sportsmanship.

Sure sure, but think about it... no matter how the Flubs choose to choke, their fans will come up with some lame excuse as to why it happened (Steve Bartman and that whole "blowing up the ball" incident springs to mind).

The most important thing on this planet is FAMILY so if the Cubs entire starting staff tears their labrums, they'll get to spend more time with their family, they'll still get their monster sized payday, they'll eventually heal, and we don't have to put up with another playoff run by the Flubs. It's a win/win situaltion for everybody. :D:

doublem23
03-02-2004, 07:05 AM
I've got to agree with Realist here. Growing up on the North Side, I watched Cub fans writhe as their team stunk up to mediocrity (didn't they start like 0-10 one year? '97ish?). Obviously, if I had to choose between both teams winning 100 or losing 100, I'd choose the 100 Ws for my Sox, but hating the Cubs can be just as fun as loving the White Sox. I personally think anyone who grew up in Chicago and says the opposite ought to check their allegiances.

Go Sox!

Fisk Fan
03-02-2004, 07:32 AM
This thread reminds me of a conversation that I had last year with a couple of co-workers. They are die-hard Sox fans and hate the Cubs with serious passion. The discussion turned to whether a Sox fan would cheer for the Cubs if they were playing the Twins and the Sox needed the Twins to lose in order to make the playoffs. Both co-workers said they would never cheer for the Cubs, no matter what. What would everyone else do?

While I could never bring myself to actually cheer or applaud the Cubs, I would still prefer the Sox going to the playoffs over the Cubs losing to the Twins. Keep in mind this was all a hypothetical situation, but it was an indication of how some die-hard Sox fans think. These guys would rather have the Cubs lose, to the Twins mind you, and eliminate the Sox from the playoffs. Thoughts?

doublem23
03-02-2004, 07:41 AM
Did they explicitally say that they'd rather see the Cubs lose than the Sox make the play-offs, because I wouldn't cheer for the Cubs in that situation, I'd just root against Minnesota.

Anyone who would take 1 measly Cub win over the Sox getting in the post-season needs to check their allegiances.

Fisk Fan
03-02-2004, 07:49 AM
They said they could never cheer for the Cubs, no matter what the situation. That is what started the debate. My hate for the Cubs runs very deep and I was raised to despise the Cubs, but if it means the difference between the Sox going to the playoffs or sitting at home watching the playoffs, I think the answer is obvious.

SSN721
03-02-2004, 07:54 AM
I would say you cant be a true Sox fan if you would want the Twins to beat the Cubs and win the division over the Sox just so the Cubs wouldnt win. To root for a Cubs loss at the cost of the Sox going to the playoffs is completely ridiculous.

bafiarocks03
03-03-2004, 07:56 PM
Prior is a loseer! the cubs are cocky and they think they are so good!

i'm glad hes out! hahah!

CORKY!!!!
^
Steroids!!!!

hehe!!

sry i had too!!