PDA

View Full Version : Konerko Must Go...

Mammoo
03-01-2004, 11:19 AM
I have nothing against PK, it's just that Big Frank will have a monster year if he plays first base.

Plus we need another pitcher and PK is marketable.

HITMEN OF 77
03-01-2004, 11:22 AM
So if Frank doesn't play 1st and is DH he will have a bad year? If that's the case, let's trade him instead of PK. Personally I'd like to keep them both.

sas1974
03-01-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
I have nothing against PK, it's just that Big Frank will have a monster year if he plays first base.

Plus we need another pitcher and PK is marketable.

I agree that Frank is better when he's in the field, but I am not sure how marketable Paulie really is at that moment.

I think he's due to bounce back in a big way and I would just as soon hang on to him for now. If he does take off early and we still decide we want to unload him, we'd get a little more for him.

guillen4life13
03-01-2004, 12:21 PM
Then DH GIDPaul and have Frank field. Doesn't sound so complicated to me.

SouthSideHitman
03-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Thomas will hurt the team and maybe himself by being in the field everyday and Paulie is at least average if not a little above around the bag (he can pick 'em pretty well). If you want, put Frank in the field a couple times a week but don't leave him out there. 2000 showed that he can still hit well playing only DH. Another problem is that Paul is better than he played last year and we just won't get fair market value for him now.

Here's my solution, hang on to Paul for now and let him show the world how good he can be. Then, deal him in June or July for some pitching when it'll help us most and bring up Ross Gload. Given all the big bats that moved this offseason, my guesse is that there will be a real demand for sluggers around the deadline and Konerko will haven proved himself more, which will make him far more valuable than he is now. It would also give the Sox the payroll room to add even more pitching at the deadline (KW said that if we're in contention he'll have a little room to go out and add people, just add $4 million to that amount). This allows us to reload midseason, get even more help than we would have and not have to trade away prospects like last year.