PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers article on Frank/Ozzie

Kittle
03-01-2004, 12:18 PM
My apologies if this has already been posted:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2004/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=1747487

Lip Man 1
03-01-2004, 02:00 PM
What I found interesting in the story was this comment:

"They've got an owner who feels passionately about both people and the sport of baseball but cannot communicate his feelings to fans who resent the businesslike approach demanded by larger investors in his group. "

That dovetails with the posted comments told to me by Ed Herrmann who said that the way the system is set up, for Uncle Jerry to sell (or someone else on the board) EVERYONE has to OK the deal.

That's never going to happen.

Lip

StepsInSC
03-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Just a week ago he was saying Thomas should be traded b/c of the Ozzie "fiasco".

rahulsekhar
03-01-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

"They've got an owner who feels passionately about both people and the sport of baseball but cannot communicate his feelings to fans who resent the businesslike approach demanded by larger investors in his group. "

That dovetails with the posted comments told to me by Ed Herrmann who said that the way the system is set up, for Uncle Jerry to sell (or someone else on the board) EVERYONE has to OK the deal.

Lip

Also with Rich King's comments that Jerry pushes to do what he can to make the team competitive. Maybe "Sell Jerry Sell" should be modified to "Sell larger investors, Sell"?

maurice
03-01-2004, 02:40 PM
But the one problem they do not have is the one that has been debated endlessly throughout another cold Chicago winter -- whether that manager, long-time shortstop Ozzie Guillen, can coexist with one of his former teammates, Frank Thomas. . . . The story took on a life of its own . . . . But playing for Guillen won't be a problem for Thomas, nor will handling Thomas cause problems for Guillen.

An upstanding and insightful journalist like Rogers never would write that Thomas and Guillen can't coexist. But if he did write such drivel, he'd certainly acknowledge that he immediately was proven wrong.

With Guillen creating a new, more relaxed atmosphere around the White Sox, this winter would have been the time for Williams to jettison Thomas, giving his rookie manager a completely clean slate.

Way to contradict the entire point of your article.

[Thomas] would not make himself available for reporters.

The crux of this issue. It never was about "team chemistry." It was about a bitter Chicago media, which prefers extroverted scumbags to quiet, clean, and productive players like Thomas.

Dadawg_77
03-01-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

That is the frustrating part, the Sox can win with a lower payroll, just need management with skills. Kenny can not win unless he outspends everyone. The GM has to go.

JRIG
03-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
That is the frustrating part, the Sox can win with a lower payroll, just need management with skills. Kenny can not win unless he outspends everyone. The GM has to go.

I've been making this point for quite a while. It's pointless to criticize JR for not giving KW money to spend when he can't even spend the money he's given correctly.

It's just as likely that if KW had more money to spend we'd end up with a Chan Ho Park-esque contract on our hands.

maurice
03-01-2004, 04:20 PM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/mlb/2004/0226/photo/a_fthomas_frt.jpg
From ESPN (http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/mlb/2004/0226/photo/a_fthomas_frt.jpg)

SoxFan76
03-01-2004, 04:39 PM
I love that picture. It's like he is mocking every media outlet in Chicago.