PDA

View Full Version : sox on wgn?

soxfan_9
03-01-2004, 06:01 AM
I was looking at the sox schedule for this year and I saw no WGN signs on there. Are the sox no longer being televised on WGN?

If not, that is really going to suck for us out of state fans. Especially for us who live in alaska and cant even get direct tv with the baseball package.

:whiner: no more sox games for me.

Rex Hudler
03-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by soxfan_9
I was looking at the sox schedule for this year and I saw no WGN signs on there. Are the sox no longer being televised on WGN?

If not, that is really going to suck for us out of state fans. Especially for us who live in alaska and cant even get direct tv with the baseball package.

The Sox will definitely be back on WGN in 2004. In fact, their games will be broadcast in high definition, which will be awesome for those that have the technology. My guess is they haven't set the broadcast schedule yet, because it is not listed on WGN's web site either.

SoxxoS
03-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by soxfan_9

May be a stupid question, but why can't you get DirectTV in Alaska?

DrCrawdad
03-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Does anyone know and would you please post the White Sox Spring Training Broadcast Schedule?

Randar68
03-01-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
May be a stupid question, but why can't you get DirectTV in Alaska?

The satellites operate in a geosynchronous LEO (Low Earth Orbit), thus, they are in the same place in the sky all the time. That said, they have limited coverage and do not necessarily cover places like Alaska and Hawaii, which have limited markets and are not cost effective to operate when talking about multi-million-dollar satellites.

That said, I have no direct knowledge of whether or not DirectTV or Dish Network have coverage in those markets or not, just hypothesizing the reasons.

DrCrawdad
03-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Does anyone know and would you please post the White Sox Spring Training Broadcast Schedule?

White Sox Calendar

Thu_03.04
@ Arizona
2:05p
GameCast_

Fri_03.05
vs Arizona (ss)
GameCast_

Fri_03.05
@ Colorado (ss)
GameCast_

Sat_03.06
vs Arizona
GameCast_

Sun_03.07
@ Arizona
GameCast_

Mon_03.08
vs Oakland
GameCast_

Tue_03.09
@ Colorado
GameCast_

You can hear the first Sox spring training game on the air on Friday, March 4, when the White Sox play the Arizona Diamondbacks. Air time on ESPN 1000 is 1:55p.

Mac, Jurko and Harry will spend a week covering Spring Training as well. The guys will be in Arizona the week of March 8th where they'll be joined by players from both the White Sox and the Cubs. It should be great!

Mickster
03-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

The 3 that I know about are:

1. 3/13 v. Cubs 1:05p WGN
2. 3/14 v. Giants 1:05p WGN
3. 3/21 v. Seattle 1:05p on Fox Sports NW (for DirecTV customers)

Hope there is more...

Does anyone know if MLB.com will be broadcasting audio ST games?

sas1974
03-01-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
The Sox will definitely be back on WGN in 2004.

That's great news! I am stuck out in Richmond, VA until August and WGN will be my only source (I guess that season ticket package was a great investment).

I will be able to see the games against to O's though.

HITMEN OF 77
03-01-2004, 12:29 PM
Last year I noticed that just about every Saturday game was on WGN, which was great.. I wonder if they will do the same this year?

Brian26
03-01-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
Last year I noticed that just about every Saturday game was on WGN, which was great.. I wonder if they will do the same this year?

Beats the hell out of Family Classics or reruns of Mama's Family.

Lip Man 1
03-01-2004, 01:46 PM
Because Alaska is so far North, the curviture of the Earth blocks out some of the satellite signals from particular satellites. It has to do with where they are located in space and the angle of the signals from particular stations.

Lip

soxfan_9
03-01-2004, 05:23 PM
they have direct tv up here, but you have to get this huge satellite which takes up half of your yard, and then it still isnt normal like down in the states, some things are different. Also, they dont worry about it to much up here, because there is another satellite company called dish network(thats what I have).

now dish network cant have the baseball package, because like the nfl, they are in contract with direct tv. What dish network does have, is all the fox sports net channels, however all the games, except for seattle games, get black out. seattle, because it is closest to here. So that leaves me with only getting to watch games on WGN.

ode to veeck
03-01-2004, 05:28 PM
The Sox will definitely be back on WGN in 2004. In fact, their games will be broadcast in high definition

I think the WGN site said only the home Sox and Flubs games will be broadcast in HD

My DirectTV tranceivers all point towards a generally south direction to their (different) geosynchrounous orbit sattelites. If they're soouth of me here in mountain view CA (near SF) could be they're over the horizon for folks in Alaska