PDA

View Full Version : Freddy Garcia--Sox in 2005?

beckett21
02-29-2004, 06:56 PM
Of course this means nothing, but thought this was an interesting little blurb:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=1746875

I like the part where it mentions he spent the off-season golfing with his buddies, Ozzie Guillen and Joey Cora. Since the trade fell thru, I would love to see the Sox make a run at Garcia next season. Of course, if he has a big year that will translate to big bucks. I know, I know, let's worry about this season first. Just thought it was interesting. I've always liked Freddy, he is a workhorse.

MRKARNO
02-29-2004, 06:59 PM
I would like to see him return to his previously great form before supporting giving him a contract. There are also other pitchers out there next year who I might rather see on this team

beckett21
02-29-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I would like to see him return to his previously great form before supporting giving him a contract. There are also other pitchers out there next year who I might rather see on this team

Not saying Freddy's going to be the best FA SP available next season, but who did you have in mind? Just curious, and remember who's writing the checks.

And of course, any offer to Garcia would hinge on his performance this season; but given his age and previous successes I would be willing to take a shot at him. He would be a solid middle of the rotation guy, #2 or #3, with ace potential.

Of course, if Schoney wins 18 this year, who needs him?

SoxxoS
02-29-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

That is OK for the Yankees or Red Sox...they can wait until he gets his form back. The White Sox can't (or won't). We need to buy low (Loiaza, Gordon Marte) etc, and try to catch guys on the cheap. We are going along those same lines with Politte, Grilli, Darensburg etc.

We need to trade for him NOW if we are going to do it. One big season and he is out of Reinsy's price range.

WSox8404
03-01-2004, 11:50 AM
Who knows? Maybe we can pick him up in the middle of the year when the Mariners are sucking it up. I don't think the Mariners are going to do much this year because of the progress Anaheim made. I think the Angels will finish first and Oakland second, leaving Seattle out to dry.

Brian26
03-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by WSox8404
Who knows? Maybe we can pick him up in the middle of the year when the Mariners are sucking it up. I don't think the Mariners are going to do much this year because of the progress Anaheim made. I think the Angels will finish first and Oakland second, leaving Seattle out to dry.

The Mariners age is going to catch up with them this year at a number of positions. They'll finish no higher than 3rd in that division. (And still probably win 90 games :smile: )