PDA

View Full Version : Great Lincicome Article in Sunday Sun-Times

StillMissOzzie
02-29-2004, 03:08 AM
I still don't know how to do the links, but there's a great article in the Sunday Sun-Times by Bernie Lincicome, formerly of the Tribune. Essentially, it says that he went in to see if the goof he knew Ozzie to be from his ROY days was now the clown prince of Chicago. It says HE is the one who came out feeling like the fool.

It's about time.

SMO
:D:

Nick@Nite
02-29-2004, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
I still don't know how to do the links, but there's a great article in the Sunday Sun-Times by Bernie Lincicome, formerly of the Tribune. Essentially, it says that he went in to see if the goof he knew Ozzie to be from his ROY days was now the clown prince of Chicago. It says HE is the one who came out feeling like the fool.

It's about time.

SMO

SMO... is this the link? :smile:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/sports_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_83_2686640,00.html

StillMissOzzie
02-29-2004, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by Nick@Nite
SMO... is this the link? :smile:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/sports_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_83_2686640,00.html

That's the column. Thanks, Nick!!

SMO
:gulp:

DrCrawdad
02-29-2004, 05:39 AM

It's about time.

SMO

Thanks for posting the heads-up for this column.

hose
02-29-2004, 07:55 AM
................Guillen was not even a candidate for the White Sox job, held for six years by the very serious and levelheaded Jerry Manuel. I mentioned to Dale Torborg, the Sox strength coach, that it has been like changing light bulbs, from a 40-watt to a 250.

"A three-way," Torborg said.

That's a great analogy.

Realist
02-29-2004, 09:03 AM
This is why I'm jumped on the Ozzie bandwagon. On another thread I appologized for being an Ozzie basher after he was hired. Ozzie has completely changed my mind. Now I'm predicting 96 wins. If he gets a little health luck, a little timely hitting, and the players to bust their behinds, this team can really bust out. You KNOW they're gonna hustle. When's the last time any of you've seen a White Sox team really play like every game could be their last?

One other thing that I haven't heard brought up is the fact that at this time last year we had two starting pitchers that had the potential to be the best one/two in baseball. Last year we had potential 20 game winners Colon and Buehrle. Garland and Loaiza were considered 3rd and 4th starters. All that's different this year is Loiza is now the other potential 20 game winner and Schoeneweis has replaced Loaiza as our "cross your fingers" guy. The 5th spot still has the potential to give me nitemares, but I'm sorta getting used to that by now.

Hopefully Rowand has gotten over his accident and won't be having a brody on his moped anytime soon. He's the guy we we're counting on last year. Does anybody really expect Willie Harris to be worse than Ray "Ray's A Bum!!" Durham or Jimenez?

The pen looks solid. We'll be fine. Burn rubber, Ozzie.

Michelle
02-29-2004, 02:05 PM
I still don't know how to do the links
Just highlight the URL in the address bar in your browser, right-click and choose 'copy', then come to your post where you type text, right-click in the box and choose 'paste'

Hope that helps :smile:

Konerko05
02-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Realist
Does anybody really expect Willie Harris to be worse than Ray "Ray's A Bum!!" Durham or Jimenez?

You kind of had me going until I got to this comment. Yes, yes I do expect Willie Harris to be worse than Ray "One of the Best Second Basemans in Baseball" Durham. Until Willie posts an OBP around .340, hes a considerable downgrade from Durham or Jiminez.

pudge
02-29-2004, 02:18 PM
That column seems to be missing a big chunk, I get a feeling it was edited for space, which is really too bad - I'd love to see the whole piece.

ChiSox14305635
02-29-2004, 03:13 PM
:moron

Giving praise to Ozzie? Why in the world would Linicome do that? Doesn't he know by now the Sox are only here to be ridiculed? We all know this is a Cubs town.......and Sammy's team. Isn't Sammy dreamy?

ode to veeck
02-29-2004, 03:37 PM
It wouda been interesting to see Ozzie coaching Ray Ray, who couldn't stop swinging for the fences. Maybe he woulda been able to turn him into a decent leadoff man, as he certainly had the physical skills.

hose
02-29-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Michelle
Just highlight the URL in the address bar in your browser, right-click and choose 'copy', then come to your post where you type text, right-click in the box and choose 'paste'

Hope that helps :smile:

Smart and good looking :D:

Realist
02-29-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Konerko05
You kind of had me going until I got to this comment. Yes, yes I do expect Willie Harris to be worse than Ray "One of the Best Second Basemans in Baseball" Durham. Until Willie posts an OBP around .340, hes a considerable downgrade from Durham or Jiminez.

My brother really liked Ray a lot too. We go to a ton of games together each year and whenever Ray would come up to bat with runners on I'd say, "Aw crap. Ray's a bum" and he would inevitabley get a hit. It got to the point where my brother would say, "Dude, you gotta keep saying that. It works every time."

I was with a buddy at the first game we had with Robbie Alomar at 2nd base last year. He looked at me and said, "You're gonna see plays made at 2nd base that you haven't seen made in years with this guy." He was right.

I'm not saying that Harris is going to be as good a 2nd baseman as Alomar, but he's gotta be an upgrade over Durham. Durham is a fireplug. As for his OBP, we'll have to see. I believe Harris has the potential to have a .340 OBP and he DOES have Guillen coaching him.

I'd love to get a report from ST on how the Valentin-Harris-Konerko DP combo is shaping up.

I remain very excited about the upcoming season.

Mickster
02-29-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Konerko05

You took the words right out of my mouth!