PDA

View Full Version : Updated Renovation Pics!

dllrbll7
02-28-2004, 10:53 PM
Hey guys the sox just put a new set of Renovation pics up. They seemed to actually leave the stadium club this time and walk around. Seeing the green grass makes me want this season to start even more.
CHISOX.com (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=cws)

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the link, it looks great. I won't be able to go to any of the opening series because they're all 1:05 starts. Hopefully I'll be able to go to one of the Yankee games the following week.

Medford Bobby
02-28-2004, 11:28 PM
Hey I'd kill to be there Opening Day..wow...the park looks great!!!!!! :)

mantis1212
02-28-2004, 11:43 PM
Awesome! They really put some effort into the pics this time...

soxnut
02-29-2004, 12:58 AM
Thank you. I will take credit for them taking pictures from different viewpoints. I emailed them a little over a week ago and mentioned that as much as we all apreciated the pictures, we would like them to take the pictures like they cared. And so, there ya go............... :smile:

SoxFan76
02-29-2004, 01:37 AM
I wish all the Comiskey nay-sayers would actually go to this stadium and realize how great it is. So it's not the best, but it's a damn good place to watch a game.

SouthSideHitman
02-29-2004, 03:13 PM
Me likee. :smile: :smile:

I noticed in picture 3 that the walls and padding across the park have been taken down. I hope that they are going to replace the old blue color scheme with black like I suggested this fall when I first heard about the rennovations. The solid black looked great in center last year but they did those stupid fireworks and went back to blue. A black scheme would look great and make the cell distinctive.

ChiSox14305635
02-29-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
I wish all the Comiskey nay-sayers would actually go to this stadium and realize how great it is. So it's not the best, but it's a damn good place to watch a game.

Naw, they'd rather be at a urine-stench sinkhole where gigantic poles block out your field of vision.

lths06
02-29-2004, 03:51 PM
In the 1st pic, the beams that are going up are tan. In the ballpark renderings, they have them grey (which I think looks much better). And if u look to earlier pics, the beams are grey. Any ideas?

lths06
02-29-2004, 03:59 PM
I also think that they should change the color of the seats to dark green or something. It would really complement the new dark green and grey colors they have been putting in.

Daver
02-29-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by lths06
In the 1st pic, the beams that are going up are tan. In the ballpark renderings, they have them grey (which I think looks much better). And if u look to earlier pics, the beams are grey. Any ideas?

That tan is the primer that they are shipped from the factory in to prevent rust.

They still have to be painted.

Randar68
02-29-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Daver
That tan is the primer that they are shipped from the factory in to prevent rust.

They still have to be painted.

I think if you look closely, you ma see that those beams are in fact, made of wood. At least thats the way it looks to me.

pearso66
02-29-2004, 06:24 PM
They do look to be made of wood, but they would never do that, too much liability. They woudl be made out of steel.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
They do look to be made of wood, but they would never do that, too much liability. They woudl be made out of steel.
:reinsy
"Hah! Steel? No one comes to any of our games anyways! Chicago is a Cubs town."

Konerko05
02-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I think if you look closely, you ma see that those beams are in fact, made of wood. At least thats the way it looks to me.

They can't really be wood, can they? Wood beams just seem a little unstable and unsafe. I would hope they are steel.

mantis1212
02-29-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Konerko05
They can't really be wood, can they? Wood beams just seem a little unstable and unsafe. I would hope they are steel.

Looking at the pictures from Jan. 19th, I see steel beams there. I think they just wrapped some wood around the steel beams for some reason. Decorative maybe?

soxnut
02-29-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
Me likee. :smile: :smile:

I noticed in picture 3 that the walls and padding across the park have been taken down. I hope that they are going to replace the old blue color scheme with black like I suggested this fall when I first heard about the rennovations. The solid black looked great in center last year but they did those stupid fireworks and went back to blue. A black scheme would look great and make the cell distinctive.

They take down the padding every year. I would hope that they do get rid of the blue, I think it looks awful on tv. I wouldn't want to see black, I'd prefer the green they used on the batters eye.

Brian26
02-29-2004, 07:44 PM
The diagonal beams are steel. There's no way wood beams would be used for reinforcement beneath a concrete and steel upper deck super-structure.

Randar68
02-29-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Konerko05

Wood beams can be built to be nearly as strong as steel.

Besidies, those beams are angled to hold the force caused by some of the reduction in vertical support, they aren't the only beams holdinig the UD in place and aren't meant to bear that load in the first place.

joeynach
02-29-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Wood beams can be built to be nearly as strong as steel.

Besidies, those beams are angled to hold the force caused by some of the reduction in vertical support, they aren't the only beams holdinig the UD in place and aren't meant to bear that load in the first place.

To me those wood looking beams look temporary. They dont look like the steel beams that are going to be used when the project is finished. Maybe they put those up for temporary support and the real ones will go in when they totally enclose the upper deck before the season starts.

lths06
02-29-2004, 09:19 PM
No, if you look at the earlier pics, the metal beems are up, and now they have the wood looking thing on them

Randar68
03-01-2004, 12:02 AM
No, if you look at the earlier pics, the metal beems are up, and now they have the wood looking thing on them

That does make more sense, but we'll be able tot tell ini a little over a month... LOL!

batmanZoSo
03-01-2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
To me those wood looking beams look temporary. They dont look like the steel beams that are going to be used when the project is finished. Maybe they put those up for temporary support and the real ones will go in when they totally enclose the upper deck before the season starts.

The wood would (lol) clash aesthetically. It's probably temporary.

MisterB
03-01-2004, 02:20 AM

To my untrained eye they look like wooden forms - perhaps the beams are being encased in concrete?

mikef1331
03-01-2004, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by MisterB
To my untrained eye they look like wooden forms - perhaps the beams are being encased in concrete?

That's kinda what I thought they looked like. They may also have a wood covering to protect the steel beams during construction. It's also possible the wood is on there for a base for some sort of stucco decorative covering.

SaltyPretzel
03-01-2004, 08:16 AM
I went back and looked at the renderings on the Sox website and it states:

"The walls and walkways of the concourse will take on a look similar to the main concourse with ironwork beams and artwork highlighting the franchise's history."

I'd bet the beams are steel.