PDA

View Full Version : Memo to Jerry Reinsdorf: Team up North Season Ticket Sales UP 37%

Hangar18
02-28-2004, 07:38 AM
Mr Reinsdorf, yes I know that they always sell out regardless,
but this time, theyre Season base went UP. which means
$$$$$$$. something to think about while your getting rid
of Maggs and Thomas this year

ondafarm
02-28-2004, 08:43 AM
I think the key to the Cubs financial success has always been their treatment of the fans. I have never heard any member of the Cubs ownership state that ". . . baseball fans are as dumb as wrestling fans. . ." JR. Wrigley Field does not ruin all the upper deck views by having an extra level of (greed) skyboxes. The Cubs organization has always been great at fan service. If you bring a group from Indianapolis or Madison or Des Moines, they treat you very well. White Sox, ha! The fact that the Cubs air most of their games in those markets means there are significant fan bases in all those cities, willing to get on a bus and go to Wrigley Field. JR would rather squeeze that extra nickel out of every last fan who does watch his inferior product. JR, penny-wise, pound foolish; the worst owner in the history of this great franchise.

rahulsekhar
02-28-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by ondafarm
I think the key to the Cubs financial success has always been their treatment of the fans. I have never heard any member of the Cubs ownership state that ". . . baseball fans are as dumb as wrestling fans. . ." JR. Wrigley Field does not ruin all the upper deck views by having an extra level of (greed) skyboxes. The Cubs organization has always been great at fan service. If you bring a group from Indianapolis or Madison or Des Moines, they treat you very well. White Sox, ha! The fact that the Cubs air most of their games in those markets means there are significant fan bases in all those cities, willing to get on a bus and go to Wrigley Field. JR would rather squeeze that extra nickel out of every last fan who does watch his inferior product. JR, penny-wise, pound foolish; the worst owner in the history of this great franchise.

Yeah - I'm sure the fact that Wrigley's really old and the Trib would never build a new stadium has nothing to do with the skyboxes.

And what says fan friendly more than scalping your own tickets! Trib+WGN+bars = Wrigley popularity. That's all there is to it.

TornLabrum
02-28-2004, 09:56 AM
I think the key to the Cubs financial success has always been their treatment of the fans. . . . Wrigley Field does not ruin all the upper deck views by having an extra level of (greed) skyboxes.

This is about the only point I you made that is factually inaccurate. What the Tribune Co. did do was add skyboxes that obstructed the views of patrons in the upper half of the lower deck. That's why there are TV monitors installed there. You can't see where a flyball is going otherwise.

Your comments on how the Sox treated their fans did remind me of a conversation I was in a couple of days ago. The participants were season ticket holders, the people you'd think the Sox would least want to anger.

A few of the items brought up about their general treatment:

1) One person inquired multiple times about moving their seats to a better location this year. This started late in 2003. The Sox have yet to answer any of their inquiries.

2) Another related the story of a person they knew who decided once they saw the new prices to ask for their playoff ticket money back that they had put down as a partial payment for their new tickets. Their ticket agent informed them that by doing this, they were contractually obligated to purchase the tickets or forfeit the money.

3) Another person there told his agent that he wanted his seats, if available, on the aisle in one of two sections in left field behind the bullpen. He told them he didn't care what row or which end. The first four return calls from his ticket agent were for locations nowhere near where he requested, and all in seats not on the aisle.

After the fourth call, he told them that not to bother calling back unless the agent found something that fit his description. Apparently the threat of not making the sale was enough for the agent to find something within a half hour that were exactly what he requested.

4) Another person told of several experiences with an agent who was described as rude and condescending every time they talked on the phone. It got so bad that the person demanded from the agent's boss that something be done about it. The agent was eventually fired.

Is it any wonder that "Chicago has always been a Cubs town?"

voodoochile
02-28-2004, 10:44 AM
:reinsy
"YES! It worked, Kenny. I told you we didn't need to build a better team this year. The attendance will be fine because of overflow at Wrigley. Hey Rob, can we save some money on promotions?"

jabrch
02-28-2004, 11:19 AM
And - in addition to season tickets through the roof they sold our 30 games on the first day tickets were for sale - 30 games...we might not sell out 30 all season.

ewokpelts
02-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
This is about the only point I you made that is factually inaccurate. What the Tribune Co. did do was add skyboxes that obstructed the views of patrons in the upper half of the lower deck. That's why there are TV monitors installed there. You can't see where a flyball is going otherwise.

Your comments on how the Sox treated their fans did remind me of a conversation I was in a couple of days ago. The participants were season ticket holders, the people you'd think the Sox would least want to anger.

1) One person inquired multiple times about moving their seats to a better location this year. This started late in 2003. The Sox have yet to answer any of their inquiries.

2) Another related the story of a person they knew who decided once they saw the new prices to ask for their playoff ticket money back that they had put down as a partial payment for their new tickets. Their ticket agent informed them that by doing this, they were contractually obligated to purchase the tickets or forfeit the money.

3) Another person there told his agent that he wanted his seats, if available, on the aisle in one of two sections in left field behind the bullpen. He told them he didn't care what row or which end. The first four return calls from his ticket agent were for locations nowhere near where he requested, and all in seats not on the aisle.

After the fourth call, he told them that not to bother calling back unless the agent found something that fit his description. Apparently the threat of not making the sale was enough for the agent to find something within a half hour that were exactly what he requested.

4) Another person told of several experiences with an agent who was described as rude and condescending every time they talked on the phone. It got so bad that the person demanded from the agent's boss that something be done about it. The agent was eventually fired.

well..if you ***** foot with ticket reps, you get the runaround....flash green(or the treat of no green) and they react...quick...salesmen are all alike...no matter what field.
Gene

Lip Man 1
02-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Onthefarm:

Just wondering...

Would you know exactly where that quote from Uncle Jerry came from? I'm looking for the date and the source.

Many thanks,

Lip

TornLabrum
02-28-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
well..if you ***** foot with ticket reps, you get the runaround....flash green(or the treat of no green) and they react...quick...salesmen are all alike...no matter what field.
Gene

I think the problem is that Uncle Jer keeps talking about fan friendliness, but there is often far too little of it. The question is, "Is it bad employees, or does this attitude start at the top?"

From what the brass say, I'd say that like ****, the attitude flows downhill.

"If more fans would come to the games, I'd instruct our ticket reps to be more courteous to our season-ticket holders."

soxnut
02-28-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
"YES! It worked, Kenny. I told you we didn't need to build a better team this year. The attendance will be fine because of overflow at Wrigley. Hey Rob, can we save some money on promotions?"

You know, as funny as that is...there may be some truth to it in regards to the overflow thing. If there are out-of-towners, who are casual basebal fans, who can't get a ticket to Wrigley, they may come to our park, on days when both teams are in town. If that happens, hoepfully they'll want to come back, and hopefully they will spread the word to others about they're good experience. :smile:

doublem23
02-28-2004, 01:54 PM

You're talking about the same franchise that scalps its own tickets and put up screens in the outfield to run the rooftops out of business right?

Yeah, they're real fan-friendly. As long as it doesn't cost anything.

ewokpelts
02-28-2004, 03:19 PM
I think the problem is that Uncle Jer keeps talking about fan friendliness, but there is often far too little of it. The question is, "Is it bad employees, or does this attitude start at the top?"

From what the brass say, I'd say that like ****, the attitude flows downhill.

"If more fans would come to the games, I'd instruct our ticket reps to be more courteous to our season-ticket holders."

Well...salesstaff will always be agressive, or downright sneaky unless cash is flashed....when deal ing withmy rep, I leardned to be blunt and upfront...i get what i want....when i asked for my playoff refund, I got it swiftly.....
Gene

ewokpelts
02-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Well...salesstaff will always be agressive, or downright sneaky unless cash is flashed....when deal ing withmy rep, I leardned to be blunt and upfront...i get what i want....when i asked for my playoff refund, I got it swiftly.....
Gene

also good grammar helps too...
Gene

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-28-2004, 03:46 PM
Wow, I've heard that the cubs have sold out about 60 games already with only single seats left for the rest of the games. That's unbelievable. Sort of sucks for the cub fans who aren't bandwagoners. Whenever I get to go to a game, we just buy the tickets at us cellular field because we don't really know ahead of time when we'll be able to go.

voodoochile
02-28-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
Wow, I've heard that the cubs have sold out about 60 games already with only single seats left for the rest of the games. That's unbelievable. Sort of sucks for the cub fans who aren't bandwagoners. Whenever I get to go to a game, we just buy the tickets at us cellular field because we don't really know ahead of time when we'll be able to go.

That means 90% of all day of game baseball game tickets will have to be Sox seats. I guess Daley really is a Sox fan, or maybe him and Jerry are just good buddies.

If the Sox do make a run at the division this year, they should break 2M fans easily, IMO. Heck, this could lead to more season packages being sold as any corporate customers from here forward who decide to get seats for the coming season HAVE to buy Sox packages.

I wonder if part of the decision to not up the payroll is to keep the division closer in talent discrepency. You just know that JR noticed the difference between late season sales in 2003 Vs. 2000.

WSox8404
02-28-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
You're talking about the same franchise that scalps its own tickets and put up screens in the outfield to run the rooftops out of business right?

Yeah, they're real fan-friendly. As long as it doesn't cost anything.

Whats funny about that is that if you mention those facts of unfriendliness to a Cub fan, they won't even give an answer to it.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-28-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by WSox8404
Whats funny about that is that if you mention those facts of unfriendliness to a Cub fan, they won't even give an answer to it.
I bet they would probably say something like this: "That gave the Tribune money that they didn't have. Which allowed the Cubs to sign Maddux and give new contracts to Lee and Wood!"

gosox41
02-29-2004, 07:43 AM

Do you have any names to these ticket agent's? If these stories are true, then these people need to be fired. Let's expose them right here. So-ans-so is a lousy agent, etc. Maybe it will force the Sox to fire them and get some people with a clue working there. Supposedly there are lurkers here, so why nto out a few of the Sox bad PR people.

Also, have any of the people who ahd problems mentioned above filed a complaint with the team? If I get bad serice is a restaurant I let the manager know, I don't just keep it to myself and never come back. I tell the manager the place sucks and never come back.

Bob

TornLabrum
02-29-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
Do you have any names to these ticket agent's? If these stories are true, then these people need to be fired. Let's expose them right here. So-ans-so is a lousy agent, etc. Maybe it will force the Sox to fire them and get some people with a clue working there. Supposedly there are lurkers here, so why nto out a few of the Sox bad PR people.

Also, have any of the people who ahd problems mentioned above filed a complaint with the team? If I get bad serice is a restaurant I let the manager know, I don't just keep it to myself and never come back. I tell the manager the place sucks and never come back.

Bob

I don't have names of agents. I wasn't taking names for a story, and the only reason I ended up mentioning the story was because of the appearance of this thread.

I do know that the person who has requested to have their seats moved up was going to call the agent's boss, though.

I would further add that I'm not in the business of naming names. If the reports I received are inaccurate in any way, and I published names, um...can you say libel?

ewokpelts
02-29-2004, 12:09 PM
I don't have names of agents. I wasn't taking names for a story, and the only reason I ended up mentioning the story was because of the appearance of this thread.

I do know that the person who has requested to have their seats moved up was going to call the agent's boss, though.

I would further add that I'm not in the business of naming names. If the reports I received are inaccurate in any way, and I published names, um...can you say libel?

If i had aproblem with my rep, i'd call the ticket dept managwer...
Gene

TornLabrum
02-29-2004, 01:07 PM
If i had aproblem with my rep, i'd call the ticket dept managwer...
Gene

Fortunately I wasn't the one with the problem. However, that advice was given to one of the people involved. She was also given the boss's name so she'd know who to call.

jabrch
02-29-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by WSox8404

I wouldn't give a damn if the Sox did those things if we had a team as good as theirs this season.

gosox41
03-01-2004, 07:03 AM

I just want people held accountable. The very least soemone should do is file a complaint with a manager about a bad ticket agent. The person may still decide to buy or not buy tickets, but at least complain to the right people. Change only happens when actions are taken and in this case the reasons for the actions are given to the right people. A manager wouldn't be so happy if ticket agent John Doe was costing the team sales by not retunring calls, but may not know this guy doesn't return calls if no one complains.

Bob

cubhater
03-01-2004, 07:23 AM
Fan friendly my ***! A few years ago I couldn't leave my house for more than a few minutes at a time while I took care of my ailing mom. There was a long rain delay for a Cub's day game but the skies cleared and I found a neighbor who would look after her while I went to the game. I got tix at the box office and not less than five minutes later they called the game. When I inquired about a refund, the guy at the ticket window said I could only exchange them for the next game, which was the final home game of the year. I told him my situation and that I couldn't make that game. He closed the shade in my face as I tried explaining my dilemna.

Yeah, that sounds like a fan-friendly organization. Almost like the one we have on the south side.

KingXerxes
03-01-2004, 09:31 AM
Is there a news story or a link available showing that the Cubs actually sold out 60 games? That is a staggeringly high total.

jabrch
03-01-2004, 09:42 AM
Go to Cubs.com and click the tickets link. There are only tickets available for 21 of their home games. I tried to check a few - and for some of those 21 you couldn't even get a pair next to eachother ANYWHERE in the park - so it is singles left.

That's amazing. They will end up selling out the entire season.

"Good thing they own their stadium so they won't have to pay rent, huh?'

voodoochile
03-01-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Is there a news story or a link available showing that the Cubs actually sold out 60 games? That is a staggeringly high total.

In their hayday in the mid-late 90's the Indians used to sell out the tnirte season before it ever started. Went on for 4 or 5 years, IIRC. Nothing unusual about this at all if you have good players and PR people and hope for the season.

Hangar18
03-01-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
Go to Cubs.com and click the tickets link. There are only tickets available for 21 of their home games. I tried to check a few - and for some of those 21 you couldn't even get a pair next to eachother ANYWHERE in the park - so it is singles left.

That's amazing. They will end up selling out the entire season.

" ......yeah, but we dont care what they do. Their Actions
do NOT AFFECT the White Sox. Business As Usual over here.
Now see, if you Sox Fans would sell out the whole season, maybe I couldve Signed Colon to his deal. See, its your fault