PDA

View Full Version : Great Sox Promotion: Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkin Demolition Night

Viva Magglio
02-27-2004, 04:52 PM
Critics of us often claim that only we are capable of hatred. That is, we hate the Cubs but their fans are "above" our fans and don't hate the White Sox. Well, I think Mr. Corgan has proven that this theory is, Hawk?

:hawk
"BEEEEEEEEE ESSSSSSSSSSS!"

nlentz88
02-27-2004, 05:25 PM
What did Billy do/say? I saw that he was at that weird voodoo ceremony they were having at Harry Caray's involving some kind of baseball mutilation. Did he say something about the Sox there?

I have a lot of respect for Billy and the Pumpkins (other than Darcy), but he sure would lose some of my esteem if I found out he was a Sox basher. What's the scoop?

voodoochile
02-27-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by nlentz88
What did Billy do/say? I saw that he was at that weird voodoo ceremony they were having at Harry Caray's involving some kind of baseball mutilation. Did he say something about the Sox there?

I have a lot of respect for Billy and the Pumpkins (other than Darcy), but he sure would lose some of my esteem if I found out he was a Sox basher. What's the scoop?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29732&perpage=15&display=&pagenumber=2

I love the idea, Viva. At the least they could have a no billy night and hand out t-shirts with his likeness and a circle with a line through it. Does Billy know that his local fan base is 30% minimum diehard Soxfans?

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-27-2004, 06:34 PM
I would be all for it but it would require me buying one of the dude's CDs and supporting him. Just blow the cd's up after the last game of a series before the sox go on the road so the sox won't need to worry about cleaning up the field in time + having to forfeit a game

Viva Magglio
02-27-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29732&perpage=15&display=&pagenumber=2Does Billy know that his local fan base is 30% minimum diehard Soxfans?

Oh, yeah? Well, after this, Corgan's popularity will fall faster than Howard Dean's!

Huisj
02-27-2004, 10:01 PM
that would be tough for me to do. ok, so i don't like what he said about the sox, but some of that earlier pumpkins stuff from their first few albums is still brilliant. i could never blow those up.

then again, i'm extremely biased towards early 90s rock like pearl jam, soundgarden, pumpkins, live, etc . . . so maybe my opinion isn't totally reliable. but it certainly fun stuff to play along with

nodiggity59
02-27-2004, 10:08 PM
What if we just destroyed a pumpkin?

southsidegirl
02-27-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
What if we just destroyed a pumpkin?

Smashed a pumpkin?

nodiggity59
02-27-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by southsidegirl
Smashed a pumpkin?

Yeah how did I miss that?

ewokpelts
02-28-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by nlentz88

well...billy's wrote a song bashing sox fans, and as for the pumpkins, he's blaming james iha...
Gene

guillen4life13
02-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Blow up Zwan CD's. The Pumpkins were too good to get blown up (I have a bias similar to Huisj's... I love early/mid '90's music like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, PJ, etc.).

Although I have maintained throughout that Billy Corgan is an a-hole.

ewokpelts
02-28-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
Blow up Zwan CD's. The Pumpkins were too good to get blown up (I have a bias similar to Huisj's... I love early/mid '90's music like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, PJ, etc.).

Although I have maintained throughout that Billy Corgan is an a-hole.

ealry era pumpkins is kinds sucky....i dont like gish or siameese dream....mellon collie is ok in bits and pieces...but it's too bloated for my tastes
Gene

ode to veeck
02-28-2004, 03:42 PM
I asked my youngest daughter if she had any Smashing Pumpkin CDs she might want to contribute to a disco demolition of Billy Corgin's music to represent the feelings of Sox fans everywhere--she declined---I might have to ground her for this lack of loyalty to the Sox

doublem23
02-28-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
I would be all for it but it would require me buying one of the dude's CDs and supporting him. Just blow the cd's up after the last game of a series before the sox go on the road so the sox won't need to worry about cleaning up the field in time + having to forfeit a game

There are still plenty of misguided souls who thought the Smashing Pumpkins were worth listening to years ago. Sigh, so misguided...

Hangar18
02-28-2004, 08:21 PM
Does anyone remember that TV Show, where the Dad is a really intelligent scientist, and "builds" a Daughter Robot, to be the sister for the twerp kid?
That was Billy Corgan (heh heh). He got tired of being beat up, having his milk money stolen and playing 2nd fiddle to his much smarter Robot sister, that he took up guitar and put a band together. Since Corgan has now chosen to become the Musical version of Jim Belushi (has-been-Actor-coattailing-cub-bandwagon) and Ronnie WooWoo (has-been-window-washer-coattailing-cub-bandwagon-for-dental-work) and seems to be "seen" all about town, What your duty as a Sox Fan, is to Just BOO the guy whenever/wherever you see him. Let him know how petty it was for him to take a shot at SoxFans, especially considering that we are the Smarter Fans, and somehow, he missed that truth. Ask him where his "Robot" sister is and see if he gets it. Tell Him His Robot Sister Plays Guitar better. Remind him that it was his DRUMMER that helped mold the pumpkin sound, and like Samsons Hair, he was Nothing without him. OH, and tell him to his face that the Cubs Still Suck

beckett21
02-28-2004, 09:21 PM
In a way, Hangar, I think you are not all that far off. I went to school with one of his brothers, only thru junior high. I never knew Billy, but my friend's brother went to high school with him. IIRC, he was kind of like you describe, one of those kids who would be picked on. I am not sure on that, but I am pretty sure he was far from popular. Kind of like a square peg...the typical story of the "misunderstood genius..."

As for the drummer, Jimmy Chamberlain, he was great but had a major league drug problem (big surprise) and they couldn't count on the guy. Too bad because you are right he was talented.

I do think Billy was a great musical talent for his time; in the grand scheme of things I know it is ridiculous to say he was great, but for his time he was pretty good. He was a good songwriter IMO, very creative. After Mellon Collie, he did fall off however and now his music is totally irrelevant.

As for where I'm going with this...I'm not real sure :D:

But in light of his Sox bashing, I have to say that personally I am disappointed. The Cubs epitomize what it is to sell out, and to align himself with the Cubs is in essence saying that he is a sellout. So I think what I am trying to say is...

SCREW YOU BILLY CORGAN! Congratulations, you are officially a sellout! :angry:

red faber
02-28-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by southsidegirl
Smashed a pumpkin?

aow about this...

SMASN BILLY CORGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SoxFan76
02-29-2004, 12:30 AM
"Hi, I'm Billy Corrgan, Smashing Pumpkins."

"I'm Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

guillen4life13
02-29-2004, 07:50 PM
Corgan is a dick. I'm not denying it... and I've always thought he was a dick (I'm a huge, huge Soundgarden fan, and so there was some crap he said to Kim Thayil that sorta convinced me of it). But The Pumpkins were good for a while (Chamberlain and Iha were amazing).

So I guess this is something of a "Love the sin, hate the sinner" thing. lol.