PDA

View Full Version : Most Hate Filled Rivalry?


WSox8404
02-27-2004, 04:25 PM
My vote goes to Sox vs. Cubs. But does anyone think that Yanks vs. Boston, or the Yanks vs. Mets is more hate filled? Or is there another one out there that has more passion involved? Any thoughts?

KingXerxes
02-27-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by WSox8404
My vote goes to Sox vs. Cubs. But does anyone think that Yanks vs. Boston, or the Yanks vs. Mets is more hate filled? Or is there another one out there that has more passion involved? Any thoughts?

It's definitely not Yankees/Mets. I spent a lot of time in New York, and the two sides are seemingly indifferent to each other. The media is constantly trying to whip everybody up into a frenzy of the "rivalry" but it just doesn't get much traction.

My guess is Yankees/Red Sox based upon the fact that they've both had pretty good teams for the past 80 years, and the Yankees always seem to come out on top.

I understand from talking to some old-timers that the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giant rivalry was absolutely second to none.

Vsahajpal
02-27-2004, 04:32 PM
Dodgers/Giants

Yankees/Red Sox

Etownsox13
02-27-2004, 04:35 PM
I'd go with Yankees/Red Sox in baseball, though if the cubs won the WS I think I'd have to kill myself. Bears Packers in football definately. Hockey Islanders Rangers, Hawks Detroit, Toronto Montreal are all vicious ones.

Hokiesox
02-27-2004, 04:36 PM
Duke/Carolina

or

Duke/Maryland

npdempse
02-27-2004, 04:41 PM
Yankees/Mets had some traction when I was a kid, but seems to have fizzled since the 80s.

Gotta say Yankees/Boston is probably tops, but with more animosity from the Boston side, similar to most of the animosity in our relationship with the Cubs seeming to come from the Sox side.

Baby Fisk
02-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Etownsox13
I'd go with Yankees/Red Sox in baseball, though if the cubs won the WS I think I'd have to kill myself. Bears Packers in football definately. Hockey Islanders Rangers, Hawks Detroit, Toronto Montreal are all vicious ones.

Baseball:
Yanks--RedSox is one sided. Baston envies New Yawk, but it's not vice versa.

WhiteSox--Cubs has much more visceral hatred both ways.

Hockey:
Leafs--Canadiens has faded in recent years. The hot hot hate is now between Toronto & Ottawa.

SSN721
02-27-2004, 04:48 PM
Unfortunately I woul dhave to say Yankees/Red Sox. I just dont see as much hatred for the Sox from cubs fans as it is vice versa, plus I would always have to say close teams in the same league would have to be a better rival just because you play them a lot more. I mean, with interleague play only started so recently its hard to say how heated a rivalry sox/cubs is compared to division rivals. I personally wish more Sox fans would hate the Twins/Indians as much as they hate the cubs, makes more sense to me since it has a stronger outcome on the season.

Uncle_Patrick
02-27-2004, 04:50 PM
In baseball, I'd definately says Red Sox/Yankees 'cause historically their games have counted and they are division rivals.

Cubs/Sox is largely one-sided. Cubs fans don't even acknowledge the Whtie Sox for the most part. From what I hear, Giants/Dodgers is the same way. My uncle lives near San Fran and is a Giants fan and he says most of the animosity is on the Giants' side. Dodgers don't care as much. The joke in San Fran is that in LA Dodgers fans arrive in the 3rd inning and leave by the 7th.

In NY, I've heard Yankees/Mets rivalry is pretty friendly. Most fans of one team have no problem rooting for the other if they are winning. The Mets have been so bad and the Yankees so good anyway, it doesn't matter.

ode to veeck
02-27-2004, 04:54 PM
How bout AJ Foyt and Booby Allison, good enough to go at it with the wrenches many moons back

Uncle_Patrick
02-27-2004, 04:59 PM
I do wish Sox fans had more animosity towards the Indians or the Royals or especially the Twins (lots of trash-talking coming from that first baseman for the past couple of years) instead of worrying about the Cubs. I hate going to a Sox-Indians games at the Cell and being surrounded by a bunch of Indian fans. Let's get more passionate about our own division!

thepaulbowski
02-27-2004, 05:02 PM
Most hated has to be Yankess/Red Sox because there is always so much at stake and with the frequency they play. Not to mention how much the Yanks have pissed in Bo Sox's shoes. The Yanks know they are superior and the Red Sox know they are inferior and hate them for it. Cubs/White Sox in the inter-city thing. While we hate each other during the summer, these are same people we go to Bears, Hawks & Bulls games with.

PINWHEELS
02-27-2004, 05:10 PM
Boston vs NYY

thepaulbowski
02-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Also...Michigan vs Ohio State.

beckett21
02-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Baseball I have to say Yanks/Red Sox, although it's not much of a rivalry when only one team wins.

Voodoo may agree with me here, I think Ohio State/Michigan is one of the top rivalries in all of sports. My wife is a Buckeye alum and if I even JOKE about Michigan around my father in law he gets pissed. (For the record I went to Illinois, and for how much I personally hate Michigan they probably don't even know Illinois still has a football team! :(: )

beckett21
02-27-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Also...Michigan vs Ohio State.

Beat me to it! :)

PINWHEELS
02-27-2004, 05:21 PM
ND vs USC

Brian26
02-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Jordan/Krauss

ode to veeck
02-27-2004, 05:23 PM
mid 80s Pistons vs Bulls; these guys hated each other, and the Bad Boys Piston thugs instrinic behavior never let up even as they got knocked off the court on the way to the Bulls 1st title


that was the most amazing thing about Rodman later joining the Bulls--that it even happened

Brian26
02-27-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
that was the most amazing thing about Rodman later joining the Bulls--that it even happened

Even more amazing that John Starks basically being booed off the team. Who says Chicago fans don't have a memory?

PINWHEELS
02-27-2004, 05:37 PM
BEARS vs GREEN BAY

JoseCanseco6969
02-27-2004, 05:38 PM
Skins VS Cowboys is pretty heated as well as the obvious, BEARS VS Packers....i dont know about the rest of you bears fans but i really hate the packers with a passion! Almost as much as the flubs

DrCrawdad
02-27-2004, 05:39 PM
http://www.icollectcards.com/gallery/74tt1.jpg

I understand the rivalry in Chicago between Cubs and Sox fans. I have always sensed that Sox fans hate the Cubs fans more than vice versa. There seems to be a lot of resentment over the extra attention the Cubs have always received. Personally, I never had anything against the Sox when I was a Cub. Maybe because we were the big shots in town. To tell the truth, I honestly didn't pay much attention to what was going on with the Sox. I had some friends that played over there, but I wasn't paying much attention to success or lack of it. But there was great rivalry between the fans and probably management, too. Both teams wanted to be number one in the city. - From Ron Santo's book, For The Love Of Rugs.

Here's a Cub fan who disagrees with Santo.

It's been said that Sox fans hate the Cubs, but Cub fans hate the Sox fans.
There's more than a little truth to that. - Al Yellon, Cubs fan

On Opening Day at Comiskey Park it was snowing...A large banner hung out in left field, "Welcome Ron Santo to the major leagues," as a not-so subtle slap at my former team. - From Ron Santo's book, For The Love Of Chrome Dome Covers.

billnahorodny
02-27-2004, 05:48 PM
For anyone that follows international soccer or knows any Dutch people...there's a huge rivalry between Holland and Germany.

Big Swo
02-27-2004, 05:55 PM
Yanks/Boston for sure. The Chicago media has fueled the Chicago rivalry with thier obvious favoratism toward the Flubs. I mean what other town would put thier baseball team on the front page headline for losing like 14 in a row, which happened a few years back. The Sox are definately the dirt on the heels of the Chicago meadia. Not fair, but definately true. The only positive is, you can get tickets for a Sox game whenever you want with a few exceptions, you can park, Comiskey definately has better grub, and MILLER PRODUCTS! I hate Bud and does anyone really drink Hielemanns Dog Pyle anymore? South Side Rules!

Uncle_Patrick
02-27-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Big Swo
Yanks/Boston for sure. The Chicago media has fueled the Chicago rivalry with thier obvious favoratism toward the Flubs. I mean what other town would put thier baseball team on the front page headline for losing like 14 in a row, which happened a few years back. The Sox are definately the dirt on the heels of the Chicago meadia. Not fair, but definately true. The only positive is, you can get tickets for a Sox game whenever you want with a few exceptions, you can park, Comiskey definately has better grub, and MILLER PRODUCTS! I hate Bud and does anyone really drink Hielemanns Dog Pyle anymore? South Side Rules!

You had me until you dissed Bud. I hate Miller beer. There's a heated rivlary.

Foulke You
02-27-2004, 06:14 PM
White Sox vs Cubs

Hands down. Many people like to downplay this rivalry, even Sox fans and I'm not sure why. Anyone who claims that it isn't that big has obviously never attended one at either park. It's the best rivalry in baseball in my opinion. I've been to Boston, I've seen the seething and animosity towards the Yankees and their fans first hand. It matches our own hatred of the Cubs and their fans every bit as much. HOWEVER, the entire city of Boston is behind the Red Sox and they probably return to their families and places of employment and commune daily with mostly Red Sox fans. Chicago's loyalties are split. When you are at a Cubs vs. Sox game at either park, there is a playoff electricity in the ballpark that is just not there for any other regular season games. It is pure World Series atmosphere. The fans are with every pitch, every play, and every out. When one team wins, you can expect retribution from friends or co-workers that are fans of the other side. I know my phone rang the instant the Cubs beat the Sox last year in the Comiskey finale and I received chirping from an annoying Cubs fan friend who was too dumb to realize they lost the series anyway. I don't think this type of stuff happens in Boston or NY. I'm sure there are Yankee fans in Boston and vice versa however, it isn't close to the loyalty split present in Chicago.

Cubs fans can say all they want about how it means more to us then it does to them. This is a bunch of lies. Anyone who has been at the ballpark or even at a local bar for those games can tell you how much those games mean to both groups of fans. With the ballpark allegiences split, the energy and noise level is extremely high. With there only being 6 games a year for this Chicago civil war to be settled, it makes the atmosphere and games that much more special. The loudest moment I've ever been present for in all sports took place in June of 2001 at Comiskey Park. Carlos Lee's grand slam off of Courtney Duncan to win it in the 10th for the White Sox. The place was up for grabs. I've been to Blackhawks playoff games in the '90s, the Wolves when they won the Turner and Calder Cup, Bulls games, Sox 2000 playoffs, but the most energy I feel is there at both Comiskey and Wrigley during the crosstown series.

hillbilly
02-27-2004, 06:18 PM
Red sox are envious of the yanks. And the yanks just laugh at the red sox pretty much. Thats just hatred. In a rivalry, one team cant be winning everytime IMO.

owensmouth
02-27-2004, 07:17 PM
The hottest right now has gotta be the Yanks-Red Sox. But keep something in mind... they have geography and the national media to help foment it.

The Sox-Cubs is basically a local fight between two organizations that each year hope that there's at least one team worse than themselves. The White Sox fans hate the Cubs. The Cubs fans have too many distractions besides the White Sox (1. Bartman 2. goat 3. Cardinals 4. Their own self pity).

Giants-Dodgers rivalry is much alive in Los Angeles. Don't forget, a year or so ago a Giants fan was murdered in the Dodger Stadium parking lot.

Bears-Packers is probably the purest, although the Bears are doing their absolute best to make everyone forget why it's important.

Michigan-Ohio State is the best in college football. The two best football teams in the most recognized conference playing each other the last Saturday of the Big Ten schedule. A natural.. Go Blue!!

Illinois-Michigan used to be more important. The Illini need to improve drastically. Last year they were the third best team in the state, nuff said.

ChiSox65
02-27-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by WSox8404
My vote goes to Sox vs. Cubs. But does anyone think that Yanks vs. Boston, or the Yanks vs. Mets is more hate filled? Or is there another one out there that has more passion involved? Any thoughts?

Red Sox vs. Yankees.........go to Fenway Park for a game and at some point they will break out a "Yankees Suck!" chant. It doesn't matter who they are playing. They despise the Yankees.

chisoxmike
02-27-2004, 07:54 PM
I do wish Sox fans had more animosity towards the Indians or the Royals or especially the Twins (lots of trash-talking coming from that first baseman for the past couple of years) instead of worrying about the Cubs. I hate going to a Sox-Indians games at the Cell and being surrounded by a bunch of Indian fans. Let's get more passionate about our own division!


I agree, as much as I do hate the Cubs, I'm starting to hate the Twins a lot more. Indians I've never liked becuase of their '95-'99/ '01 years! Indian fans suck. You don't see many of them at the cell anymore.

JohnJeter
02-27-2004, 07:54 PM
Cubs' fans spend much more time obsessing over the Cards than they do the Sox. In many ways, the Cub fan distaste makes more sense. After all, Cards are in their division. Sox are an afterthought compared to the St. Louis team.

Realist
02-27-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
White Sox vs Cubs

Hands down. Many people like to downplay this rivalry, even Sox fans and I'm not sure why. Anyone who claims that it isn't that big has obviously never attended one at either park. It's the best rivalry in baseball in my opinion. I've been to Boston, I've seen the seething and animosity towards the Yankees and their fans first hand. It matches our own hatred of the Cubs and their fans every bit as much. HOWEVER, the entire city of Boston is behind the Red Sox and they probably return to their families and places of employment and commune daily with mostly Red Sox fans. Chicago's loyalties are split. When you are at a Cubs vs. Sox game at either park, there is a playoff electricity in the ballpark that is just not there for any other regular season games. It is pure World Series atmosphere. The fans are with every pitch, every play, and every out. When one team wins, you can expect retribution from friends or co-workers that are fans of the other side. I know my phone rang the instant the Cubs beat the Sox last year in the Comiskey finale and I received chirping from an annoying Cubs fan friend who was too dumb to realize they lost the series anyway. I don't think this type of stuff happens in Boston or NY. I'm sure there are Yankee fans in Boston and vice versa however, it isn't close to the loyalty split present in Chicago.

Cubs fans can say all they want about how it means more to us then it does to them. This is a bunch of lies. Anyone who has been at the ballpark or even at a local bar for those games can tell you how much those games mean to both groups of fans. With the ballpark allegiences split, the energy and noise level is extremely high. With there only being 6 games a year for this Chicago civil war to be settled, it makes the atmosphere and games that much more special. The loudest moment I've ever been present for in all sports took place in June of 2001 at Comiskey Park. Carlos Lee's grand slam off of Courtney Duncan to win it in the 10th for the White Sox. The place was up for grabs. I've been to Blackhawks playoff games in the '90s, the Wolves when they won the Turner and Calder Cup, Bulls games, Sox 2000 playoffs, but the most energy I feel is there at both Comiskey and Wrigley during the crosstown series.

OH BABY YOU JUST GOT MY BLOOD GOIN'!!

I attend at least one game at each park when we play the Cubs. You're description of the atmosphere at the parks is right on the money. Last year I had seats right behind home plate at Wrigley for one of the games and I lost my voice for 2 days after screaming at Sosa each time he was up to bat - "CHEATER!! CHEATER!! YOU'RE A DISGRACE TO CHICAGO, CHEATER!! MOVE TO NEW YORK!! YOU'RE A DISGRACE, SOSA!! CHEATER!!" Holy smokes, you can't beat fun at that old pallbark. :D:

A couple of years ago I was at the game at Comiskey when the Sox we're down by 8 runs early in the game and came back to win the game. To watch the taunts flip from Cubs fans taunting Sox fans to Sox fans taunting Cubs fans was breathtaking.

On that note, I manage a bar 4 blocks from Wrigley Field and I'm planning on having a party in our private room for Sox fans after (and during for those of us without tickets to the game) one of the games played at Wrigley. The private room can hold 80 people and 4 pool tables. To get in you'll have to be wearing White Sox colors (hat, jersey, jacket, etc...) and know the password. It'll probably be "swordfish" or something like that. I'll start a thread for the party as we get closer to the date.

JohnJeter
02-27-2004, 09:17 PM
Your passion is commendable (albeit rabid-foamy maybe?); however, the only time you'll see Cub fans spending any time on the Sox is when the two teams meet.

Otherwise, my experience is that Cub fans obsess over Cardinals or Astros. Maybe Sox fans can learn something from that.

BackInBlack
02-27-2004, 09:30 PM
No problemo. ALL-TIME awesome rivalries.

1. Bears vs. Packers.

2. Yankees vs. Red Sox.

3. Duke vs. North Carolina.

4. Alabama vs. Auburn.

5. Blackhawks vs. Red Wings.

6. Michigan vs. Ohio State.

7. White Sox vs. Cubs

8. Yankees vs. Mets

9. Canadiens vs. Maple Leafs.

10. Penn State vs. Pitt.

BackInBlack
02-27-2004, 09:35 PM
"Otherwise, my experience is that Cub fans obsess over Cardinals or Astros. Maybe Sox fans can learn something from that."


Gotta laugh at all those yuppie Chubs fans with no sense of baseball history. Sure, the Cubs have been the hot ticket over the last 2 decades, but keep in mind who set all the Chicago baseball attendance records until last year. The White Sox have more history in their collective pinky finger than the Cubs have in Wrigely Field. BTW, you're welcome for Harry Caray. The fact of the matter is, no matter how hot you think you are over the last 20 years, the CHICAGO WHITE SOX WILL ALWAYS BE THE WINDY CITY'S CLASSIC MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM. Cubs benefitted big-time from the real-estate explosion in Wrigleyville that coincided with additional exposure from WGN. Lest be known, Bridgeport is undergoing a makeover that looks very much like the one that occurred about 13 miles north about 20 years ago. Just a matter of time before the White Sox reclaim their ticket as the city's premier baseball organization.

PINWHEELS
02-27-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by BackInBlack
"Otherwise, my experience is that Cub fans obsess over Cardinals or Astros. Maybe Sox fans can learn something from that."


Gotta laugh at all those yuppie Chubs fans with no sense of baseball history. Sure, the Cubs have been the hot ticket over the last 2 decades, but keep in mind who set all the Chicago baseball attendance records until last year. The White Sox have more history in their collective pinky finger than the Cubs have in Wrigely Field. BTW, you're welcome for Harry Caray. The fact of the matter is, no matter how hot you think you are over the last 20 years, the CHICAGO WHITE SOX WILL ALWAYS BE THE WINDY CITY'S CLASSIC MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM. Cubs benefitted big-time from the real-estate explosion in Wrigleyville that coincided with additional exposure from WGN. Lest be known, Bridgeport is undergoing a makeover that looks very much like the one that occurred about 13 miles north about 20 years ago. Just a matter of time before the White Sox reclaim their ticket as the city's premier baseball organization. AMEN Brother!

Fenway
02-27-2004, 09:45 PM
As Chris Moore of ESPN Radio once astutely observed, "How can you call the Yankees and Red Sox a rivalry? Do you call the hammer and the nail a rivalry?"

Ahh but Mr Moore there is more to this than baseball.....

Boston has been playing second fiddle to New York since March of 1776 when the British gave Boston to the colonists and moved all their troops to New York.

The 2 cities are 200 miles apart....but they seem much closer.

Maybe this article can explain

Words can't do rivalry justice BOB RYAN Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2004/02/19/words_cant_do_rivalry_justice?mode=PF)

SoxFan76
02-27-2004, 09:53 PM
I would say Yankees/Bo Sox is the best just because the Yankees always get the best of them, and plus they are in the same division. You all make good points though. We really should hate the Twins more than we do. I will always hate the Cubs for reasons beyond the baseball diamond, but the Twins should drive us all crazy. They always one up us and sneak away with the division title. Last year the Twins were in 3rd place all year, and all the sudden they won the division.

SoxFan76
02-27-2004, 10:02 PM
Actually if you are talking all sports, any college rivalry would take the prize. Those rivalries can get violent.

BackInBlack
02-27-2004, 10:12 PM
"Actually if you are talking all sports, any college rivalry would take the prize. Those rivalries can get violent."

Very true. Just take a look at all the riots that occur on the campuses of Michigan State, Maryland, etc... after a win OR a loss in a big game. One big-time overlooked rivalry has to be Cal vs. Stanford, aka "The Big Game." Penn State vs. Pitt had to be discontinued due to the disgusting hatred that occured within the rivalry. I heard that regardless of who Pitt plays (i.e. WVU in basketball), the end part of their fight song goes "P-E-N-N-S-T-SUCKS! PENN STATE SUCKS! PENN STATE SUCKS!" The rivalry was discontinued due to uncontrollable hatred. Wish they still played, it'd be good for the college game. Then again, so would playoffs.

Fenway
02-27-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
Actually if you are talking all sports, any college rivalry would take the prize. Those rivalries can get violent.

and your point is?

http://www.gorillamask.net/9768500.jpg

hsnterprize
02-27-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
White Sox vs Cubs

Hands down. Many people like to downplay this rivalry, even Sox fans and I'm not sure why. Anyone who claims that it isn't that big has obviously never attended one at either park. It's the best rivalry in baseball in my opinion. I've been to Boston, I've seen the seething and animosity towards the Yankees and their fans first hand. It matches our own hatred of the Cubs and their fans every bit as much. HOWEVER, the entire city of Boston is behind the Red Sox and they probably return to their families and places of employment and commune daily with mostly Red Sox fans. Chicago's loyalties are split. When you are at a Cubs vs. Sox game at either park, there is a playoff electricity in the ballpark that is just not there for any other regular season games. It is pure World Series atmosphere. The fans are with every pitch, every play, and every out. When one team wins, you can expect retribution from friends or co-workers that are fans of the other side. I know my phone rang the instant the Cubs beat the Sox last year in the Comiskey finale and I received chirping from an annoying Cubs fan friend who was too dumb to realize they lost the series anyway. I don't think this type of stuff happens in Boston or NY. I'm sure there are Yankee fans in Boston and vice versa however, it isn't close to the loyalty split present in Chicago.

Cubs fans can say all they want about how it means more to us then it does to them. This is a bunch of lies. Anyone who has been at the ballpark or even at a local bar for those games can tell you how much those games mean to both groups of fans. With the ballpark allegiences split, the energy and noise level is extremely high. With there only being 6 games a year for this Chicago civil war to be settled, it makes the atmosphere and games that much more special. The loudest moment I've ever been present for in all sports took place in June of 2001 at Comiskey Park. Carlos Lee's grand slam off of Courtney Duncan to win it in the 10th for the White Sox. The place was up for grabs. I've been to Blackhawks playoff games in the '90s, the Wolves when they won the Turner and Calder Cup, Bulls games, Sox 2000 playoffs, but the most energy I feel is there at both Comiskey and Wrigley during the crosstown series. I've been to several Sox/Cubs games as a fan and as a reporter. I'll tell you there nothing like being in either ballpark when those two teams meet. The Cell is super-loud when the Cubs are there, and Wrigley fans are the most obnoxious when the Sox show up.

I don't think the Sox/Cubs rivalry is the biggest in baseball, but it definitely is the top rivalry in sports when it comes to cities/states with more than 1 team in a league. I talked with an ESPN reporter last year while at Wrigley covering a game. He told me there was no question the Sox/Cubs rivalry was the best in that regard. The Yankees/Mets wasn't even a contest...the Angels/Dodgers wasn't as intense, and the A's/Giants isn't all that big. Then the occasional games between the Astros/Rangers, Devil Rays/Marlins, Indians/Reds, and other teams within the same state that don't normally play each other just don't have the same juice to them. The California teams, regardless of that league they're in, seem to always play each other, and I don't hear much about a rivalry between say the Padres/A's, or the Giants/Angels...even though they met in the 2002 World Series.

Vsahajpal
02-27-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by BackInBlack
No problemo. ALL-TIME awesome rivalries.

1. Bears vs. Packers.

2. Yankees vs. Red Sox.

3. Duke vs. North Carolina.

4. Alabama vs. Auburn.

5. Blackhawks vs. Red Wings.

6. Michigan vs. Ohio State.

7. White Sox vs. Cubs

8. Yankees vs. Mets

9. Canadiens vs. Maple Leafs.

10. Penn State vs. Pitt.

I didn't know the list was supposed to be all encompassing; in that case, the 10 greatest rivalries in all of sports:

10. USA vs Europe (Ryder Cup)

9. AC Milan vs. Inter Milan

8. Redskins vs. Cowboys

7. Alabama vs. Auburn

6. Bears vs Packers

5. Duke vs UNC

4. Celtic vs Rangers

3. Ali vs Frazier

2. Canadiens vs. Maple Leafs

1. Michigan vs. osu

Fenway
02-27-2004, 11:41 PM
Bruins/Montreal in hockey
Brruins went 44 years without beating Habs in playoffs

Celtics/Lakers in hoops

Sox Yankees as one sided as it has been is still the most intense. It has become year round and is fueled by the media in both cities. The New York Post and the Boston Herald are classic tabloids. The Globe is owned by the New York Times that in turns owns 18% of the Sox.

The Arod fiasco just has taken it into uncharted waters.

The root of it of course is one George Herman Ruth.

Until you go to a game in person, you have no idea how intense it is between the rival fans.

The harsh truth is now looking at the NY papers, the Mets are now #3 in NY behind NYY and Boston.

Uncle_Patrick
02-28-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
I've been to several Sox/Cubs games as a fan and as a reporter. I'll tell you there nothing like being in either ballpark when those two teams meet. The Cell is super-loud when the Cubs are there, and Wrigley fans are the most obnoxious when the Sox show up.

I don't think the Sox/Cubs rivalry is the biggest in baseball, but it definitely is the top rivalry in sports when it comes to cities/states with more than 1 team in a league. I talked with an ESPN reporter last year while at Wrigley covering a game. He told me there was no question the Sox/Cubs rivalry was the best in that regard. The Yankees/Mets wasn't even a contest...the Angels/Dodgers wasn't as intense, and the A's/Giants isn't all that big. Then the occasional games between the Astros/Rangers, Devil Rays/Marlins, Indians/Reds, and other teams within the same state that don't normally play each other just don't have the same juice to them. The California teams, regardless of that league they're in, seem to always play each other, and I don't hear much about a rivalry between say the Padres/A's, or the Giants/Angels...even though they met in the 2002 World Series.

You don't really get intense rivalries from other teams in the same states because the teams are spread too far apart for a strong fan rivalry to develop. I've worked with several people from Cleveland, and to them, the Reds may as well be playing in another state. It would be like us hating the Brewers now (it made a little more sense for a rivalry when the Brewers were in the American League). The Pirates are much closer to Cleveland, but even then, its a different city. Think about how far San Diego is from San Fran or Oakland. It would be like us getting worked up when Baltimore comes to town or something. Only Chicago and New York have two teams in the same city, and the Mets haven't been in NY as long as the Yankees, while in Chicago they've both been around forever. The rivalry spans generations here, and when both teams have been in the toilet most of that time, all you can fight for is city pride.

StillMissOzzie
02-28-2004, 01:20 AM
Prior to the Scrubs vs. Sox, which took on much more meaning and venom with true interleague play, one of my favorites was the Sox vs. Milwaukee before they flipped over to the NL. Remember "Boom Boom" Bevington vs. "Scrap Iron" Garner going toe to toe?

SMO
:gulp:

Hangar18
02-28-2004, 08:33 AM
Ive Never HATED the Cubs, and their "fans" as much as I do today. Their "fans" made Us (chicagoans) look like a Bunch of Buffoons the other nite. Buffoons

SSN721
02-28-2004, 09:53 AM
Just to somewhat add on to my earlier point, I don't really understand why the Sox/Twins has not become a major rivalry in our eyes. I hate the Cubs as much as the next Sox fan, but we always seem to at least split games with them and more often win series. But it is only six games. The Twins have been our true nemesis for quite a long time now. They keep pulling the rug out from under us every time we are supposed to win the division. It just doesn't seem like we are passionate enough about that. It makes me awfully mad. I want the Sox to tear them apart every time they play. I mean I still have a strong hatred for the Indians from the mid to late 90s and now the Twins are just destroying my hopes and dreams every year.

I have been to at least one of the Cubs/Sox games every year for the last 4 years and I do agree with the point from hsnterprize that it is a playoff atmosphere. Every game is huge and I rarely see the crowds more electrified and hanging on every pitch like I do at those games. But I was at a couple games in the last couple series that the Sox played the Twins and it was fantastic. They never sold out (of course) but the night of the infamous jose paniagua incident there were maybe 30000 people there. I can honestly say I don't remember the crowd louder or more intense then that game. In the eighth inning when I think the Sox put up 3 or 4 runs (maybe more don't remember exactly) I thought I was gonna go deaf the crowd was so loud. I believe Burhle even made a comment in the trib the next day that he had never heard such an intense crowd then he did that night.

I just hope that the Twins and the Sox duke it out for the division crown the next few years so this can develop in the rivalry it should and deserves to be. Plus it would be nice to go to intense games that you can still get tickets for the day of the game. But then again I hope that would change soon too. :smile:

vegyrex
02-28-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Uncle_Patrick
The rivalry spans generations here, and when both teams have been in the toilet most of that time, all you can fight for is city pride.

LOL!! So true. Although the Flubs have been flushed more often than the Sox.

I had a Yankee fan tell me when he was a kid, back in the early to mid 60's, the White Sox bothered him more than the Red Sox. He told me he would check the newspapers the next day to see what the White Sox did the night before.

He feared our Sox. :o: :cool: :smile:

SoxEd
02-28-2004, 11:31 AM
Arsenal vs Man U anyone?

On the nasty rivalries front,
Galatasary (+ Istanbul Police Force) vs Anyone Playing Against Them.

SoxFan76
02-28-2004, 11:38 AM
^ I have no idea what you are talking about.

SoxEd
02-28-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
^ I have no idea what you are talking about.

Sorry, European soccer.

The first two teams play in the English Premiership andare basically the only two sides who can win it (although Chelsea now have the money to compete too).

Galatasary are a Turkish side whose fans are notoriously violent to visiting teams and their supporters - unfortunately the police force in Istanbul has a history of helping Galatasary supporters harass/attack visiting fans rather than arresting the hooligans.

SSN721
02-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
^ I have no idea what you are talking about.

I concur, understand Arsenal vs. Man U, SoxEd, but what about the Istanbul Police Force?! I dont get that, what is it?

SSN721
02-28-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by SoxEd
Sorry, European soccer.

The first two teams play in the English Premiership andare basically the only two sides who can win it (although Chelsea now have the money to compete too).

Galatasary are a Turkish side whose fans are notoriously violent to visiting teams and their supporters - unfortunately the police force in Istanbul has a history of helping Galatasary supporters harass/attack visiting fans rather than arresting the hooligans.

Sorry, posted too slow, answered while writing my last post. :D:

SoxFan76
02-28-2004, 04:54 PM
I won't get into my views about soccer, but I do know that those soccer rivalries can get much more intense than even college football rivalries. I will still never get into it.

hsnterprize
02-28-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
Just to somewhat add on to my earlier point, I don't really understand why the Sox/Twins has not become a major rivalry in our eyes. I hate the Cubs as much as the next Sox fan, but we always seem to at least split games with them and more often win series. But it is only six games. The Twins have been our true nemesis for quite a long time now. They keep pulling the rug out from under us every time we are supposed to win the division. It just doesn't seem like we are passionate enough about that. It makes me awfully mad. I want the Sox to tear them apart every time they play. I mean I still have a strong hatred for the Indians from the mid to late 90s and now the Twins are just destroying my hopes and dreams every year.

I have been to at least one of the Cubs/Sox games every year for the last 4 years and I do agree with the point from hsnterprize that it is a playoff atmosphere. Every game is huge and I rarely see the crowds more electrified and hanging on every pitch like I do at those games. But I was at a couple games in the last couple series that the Sox played the Twins and it was fantastic. They never sold out (of course) but the night of the infamous jose paniagua incident there were maybe 30000 people there. I can honestly say I don't remember the crowd louder or more intense then that game. In the eighth inning when I think the Sox put up 3 or 4 runs (maybe more don't remember exactly) I thought I was gonna go deaf the crowd was so loud. I believe Burhle even made a comment in the trib the next day that he had never heard such an intense crowd then he did that night.

I just hope that the Twins and the Sox duke it out for the division crown the next few years so this can develop in the rivalry it should and deserves to be. Plus it would be nice to go to intense games that you can still get tickets for the day of the game. But then again I hope that would change soon too. :smile: As long as the Sox and Twins keep duking it out for the division title, the Sox/Twins rivalry will be a huge one very soon.

Realist
02-28-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
Just to somewhat add on to my earlier point, I don't really understand why the Sox/Twins has not become a major rivalry in our eyes. I hate the Cubs as much as the next Sox fan, but we always seem to at least split games with them and more often win series. But it is only six games. The Twins have been our true nemesis for quite a long time now. They keep pulling the rug out from under us every time we are supposed to win the division. It just doesn't seem like we are passionate enough about that. It makes me awfully mad. I want the Sox to tear them apart every time they play. I mean I still have a strong hatred for the Indians from the mid to late 90s and now the Twins are just destroying my hopes and dreams every year.

I have been to at least one of the Cubs/Sox games every year for the last 4 years and I do agree with the point from hsnterprize that it is a playoff atmosphere. Every game is huge and I rarely see the crowds more electrified and hanging on every pitch like I do at those games. But I was at a couple games in the last couple series that the Sox played the Twins and it was fantastic. They never sold out (of course) but the night of the infamous jose paniagua incident there were maybe 30000 people there. I can honestly say I don't remember the crowd louder or more intense then that game. In the eighth inning when I think the Sox put up 3 or 4 runs (maybe more don't remember exactly) I thought I was gonna go deaf the crowd was so loud. I believe Burhle even made a comment in the trib the next day that he had never heard such an intense crowd then he did that night.

I just hope that the Twins and the Sox duke it out for the division crown the next few years so this can develop in the rivalry it should and deserves to be. Plus it would be nice to go to intense games that you can still get tickets for the day of the game. But then again I hope that would change soon too. :smile:

I've heard that there's a very intense on-field rivalry going on between the White Sox and Twins right now. I'm not sure how true it is but I've heard that you never hear the "F" bomb tossed around more than you do between the White Sox and Twins players. Supposedly these two teams generally hate each other.

white sox bill
02-29-2004, 10:00 AM
Wasn't it last yr that someone got shot (and later died) from a LA/SF game? IIRC, it was a Dodger fan shooting a Giant fan..anyone remember?

DSpivack
02-29-2004, 02:07 PM
I'm used to being a fan of the team further south, that hates the rival more than the rival hates them... Sox v. Cubs, Bears v. Packers, Evanston v. New Trier [before seeing Bonds hit a 9th inning game-winning homer last August, the most exciting sporting event I've ever been to was not a Cubs-Sox game, but one Evanston-New Trier basketball and one football game].

In terms of pure hatred, I would think BoSox-Yanks are about even with Cubs-White Sox. The big difference, however, is success. The Yankees are one of the most successful franchises in sports, and have a [deserved] superiority complex when comparing themselves to the Red Sox. Chicago is vastly different in this respect; each team has a long history of mediocrity, failure, and futility. Each team desperately wants to be the first in the city either just back into the World Series, or winning it. That's why this rivalry is so bitter- because the crosstown series is our own World Series; as the World Series seems an impossible event.

SSN721
03-01-2004, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
As long as the Sox and Twins keep duking it out for the division title, the Sox/Twins rivalry will be a huge one very soon.

I certainly hope that is true, seems to get a little more intense every year. Which I definitely enjoy. :D:

cubhater
03-01-2004, 08:33 AM
NCAA-Colorado

Sad
03-01-2004, 10:16 AM
easy, football-
THE University of Michigan vs. ohio state

Fenway
03-02-2004, 02:16 PM
I will still stick with Red Sox/Yankees

http://forums.redsoxnation.net/uploads/av-1802.gif

As I stated earlier Boston has been playing second fiddle to New York since 1776. Then you have

Babe Ruth sold to New York, December 26, 1919
Williams vs DiMaggio
1949
Williams vs Mantle
Danny Cater for Sparky Lyle
Fisk vs Munson
Bucky Dent
Luis Tiant joing Yankees
Wade Boggs
Roger Clemens
Aaron Boone
Grady Little
WFAN vs WEEI
A divided Connecticut

it just goes on and on

Railsplitter
03-07-2004, 08:19 AM
Ohio State-Michicagn. A story, probably apocryphal, goes like this: During WWII, a Japanese soldier runs out of the brush shouting "Don't shoot! I went to Ohio State." A marine shoots him and says "Too bad. I went to Michigan!"

Whitesox029
03-12-2004, 09:35 PM
It's hard for someone who has not experienced either side of a rivalry to judge that rivalry...all I know is that if we were judging the Sox-Cubs rivalry based on me alone, it would be hard to get any more intense....There aren't many things I hate more than the Cubs..heck, I even hate them more than France and that's saying something.
I miss the days when the Sox had real rivalries with teams they played more than 6 times a year.... We used to have huge rivalries with the Yanks and Indians and to a lesser extent teams like Milwaukee. Sure we have Minnesota now but it just doesn't seem the same...maybe that's because either the Sox or Twins would finish 3rd in any other division in baseball.....

Whitesox029
03-12-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by white sox bill
Wasn't it last yr that someone got shot (and later died) from a LA/SF game? IIRC, it was a Dodger fan shooting a Giant fan..anyone remember?
I hadn't heard about that at the time but I actually saw it on America's Most Wanted a few weeks ago. They did apprehend the guy.

jordan23ventura
03-12-2004, 11:50 PM
The Twins are one of those teams that you just want to destroy and make them disappear. Nothing good will ever come out of Mini-Canada. The Indians are the only ones in this division worthy of being rivals, and maybe Detroit if they'd ever act like professional ball players instead of helpless mascots.

SoxBoy14
03-13-2004, 10:48 AM
The Ohio State University vs michigan

OSU all the way :D: