PDA

View Full Version : Miguel Olivo

Frater Perdurabo
02-27-2004, 09:46 AM
"One more year of experience [should give Olivo] all the confidence he needs," Alomar said. "He should be a lot better this year. … I'm counting on it."

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen compares Olivo to a young Ivan Rodriguez, perhaps the best catcher of his generation who led the Florida Marlins to the World Series title last season.

"I saw 'Pudge' come on as a big-league player with all the great tools he has and take advantage of it," Guillen said. "I expect Olivo to do the same thing. He's going to be one of the biggest keys of the team because he's going to dictate the game."

Olivo, like Rodriguez, has a cannon arm—and loves to show it off. But Olivo, who hit just .237 in 114 games last season, hasn't demonstrated he can approach Rodriguez offensively.

From the Tribune story on defense up the middle (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040226sox,0,68107.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

I am NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES saying that Olivo will become the next Ivan Rodriguez. I'd be happy if he was the next Ron Karkovice.

However, during Rodriguez's first few seasons, he was not exactly an All-Star caliber hitter. I-Rod's career stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=4680&context=batting)

I'm not too concerned that Olivo has not yet produced great offensive numbers. All I ask of a catcher is to just handle the pitchers, call a good game and throw out would-be base stealers.

Happy Felsch Fan
02-27-2004, 10:28 AM
frater,

You are right on regarding Olivio. He has the tools to become a outstanding defensive catcher and does have power potential. I feel that Olivio should end up being a better hitter than Karko, I know thats not saying much, but given the sad shape of the catchers position in MLB, I would say that most teams would love to have Olivio.

Karko had to wait around for years waiting for Fisk to retire and perhaps that slowed his hitting progress. After many years he behind Fisk, he got his chance and showed some power although he never hit for high average.

Olivio had to really step up last year and catch alot of games, and his focus was and should have been on the defensive side of the game. His hitting should only improve from last year.

StepsInSC
02-27-2004, 10:35 AM
Alomar said. "He should be a lot better this year. … I'm counting on it."

Damn skippy he's counting on it.

:sandy
"Unless they let me play catcher with a walker....I got 5, 6 games in me for this season, tops."

SSN721
02-27-2004, 11:37 AM
Call me crazy, but I am really high on Olivo, I think he has a good shot to be a very good hitting catcher. Maybe not Lopez or Pasada level, but I think he can over time get a good .270-.280 average. ANd he has definately shown his ability to hit with power. I just think over time he will be an excellent all around catcher. Already shown he is very very good defensively and I think he will hit at least .250 this year. Course if he hits .230 again feel free to rip on me and mock, I am no scout, I just think he has a lot of upside.

SEALgep
02-27-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
Call me crazy, but I am really high on Olivo, I think he has a good shot to be a very good hitting catcher. Maybe not Lopez or Pasada level, but I think he can over time get a good .270-.280 average. ANd he has definately shown his ability to hit with power. I just think over time he will be an excellent all around catcher. Already shown he is very very good defensively and I think he will hit at least .250 this year. Course if he hits .230 again feel free to rip on me and mock, I am no scout, I just think he has a lot of upside. I agree, I believe he can become a pretty solid hitting catcher. He has it defensively. The reason he hit .230 last year, in my opinion, was his pitch recognition. He didn't have a lot of patience and swung and some poor pitches. He has a quick bat, which is a good sign, and really just needs the experience. The more pitching he sees, and working on his patience, the better hitter he will become. I am confident that he will.

DrCrawdad
02-27-2004, 11:55 AM
Whatever offensive the Sox get out of Olivo is a plus. What I'm looking for from Olivo is a solid catcher, and I'm positive from what I observed last year I'm sure he'll be fine. In fact, I think Olivo is already terrific behind the plate.

(Speaking in the pro-sports "third person") DrCrawdad is positive that the Sox are going all the way this year! Of course, DrCrawdad thinks this just about every year during ST.

KingXerxes
02-27-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
However, during Rodriguez's first few seasons, he was not exactly an All-Star caliber hitter.

I'm not too concerned that Olivo has not yet produced great offensive numbers. All I ask of a catcher is to just handle the pitchers, call a good game and throw out would-be base stealers.

Ivan Rodriguez was something like 18 or 19 years old when he came up to the majors. If Olivo were that young, a comparison would make sense, but isn't he 25 or so?

I think Olivo will make a very good defensive catcher, and might very well have a decent offensive career as well. The only issue I have with the guy - and one I hope he grows out of - is that he seems to have brain cramps on the field periodically (particularly baserunning). Let's hope that the new manager, who also suffered from tactical brain cramps while a player, can tout the "do as I say not as I did" line.

Maximo
02-27-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
Call me crazy, but I am really high on Olivo, I think he has a good shot to be a very good hitting catcher. Maybe not Lopez or Pasada level, but I think he can over time get a good .270-.280 average. ANd he has definately shown his ability to hit with power. I just think over time he will be an excellent all around catcher. Already shown he is very very good defensively and I think he will hit at least .250 this year. Course if he hits .230 again feel free to rip on me and mock, I am no scout, I just think he has a lot of upside.

Batting .250 and doing the little things offensively, like moving runners over, would be fine with me. I, too, think he is very good, defensively. What would make me ecstatic.....would be taking charge of the young pitchers, i.e., Garland, during key game situations like a strong catcher should. Fisk and "Crash Davis from Bull Durham" come to mind. I would like to see him develop into that kind of guy.

lowesox
02-27-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Happy Felsch Fan
frater,

You are right on regarding Olivio. He has the tools to become a outstanding defensive catcher and does have power potential. I feel that Olivio should end up being a better hitter than Karko, I know thats not saying much, but given the sad shape of the catchers position in MLB, I would say that most teams would love to have Olivio.

Karko had to wait around for years waiting for Fisk to retire and perhaps that slowed his hitting progress. After many years he behind Fisk, he got his chance and showed some power although he never hit for high average.

Olivio had to really step up last year and catch alot of games, and his focus was and should have been on the defensive side of the game. His hitting should only improve from last year.

It's Olivo. Sorry to be picky - just a little pet peave.