PDA

View Full Version : What can SOX fans do to get some media coverage?

MarkPloch
02-27-2004, 08:02 AM
I am tired of seeing all things Cubs on my TV and newspapers. You would have thought they won the WS instead of choking in the playoffs.

We Sox fans are a creative bunch of folks. I have to think that if put our heads together we can come up with an event or action that will create buzz.

It will have to be legal.
Mullet free.
Intelligent.
Creative.

Maybe something involving the South Side St. Pat parade.

Your thoughts.

SoxFan76
02-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Have Bartman throw out the first pitch at the home opener.

Frater Perdurabo
02-27-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by MarkPloch
I am tired of seeing all things Cubs on my TV and newspapers. You would have thought they won the WS instead of choking in the playoffs.

We Sox fans are a creative bunch of folks. I have to think that if put our heads together we can come up with an event or action that will create buzz.

Mullet free.
Intelligent.
Creative.

Your thoughts.

I think the Sox need to tap in to the South Side Irish community. I like the St. Pat's day parade idea. They should market themselves as the offical team of the South Side Irish. I would even suggest that the Sox put a small green shamrock on their uniform sleeves.

They also should market themselves to the Latino community in Chicago. They should get Maggs, Lee, Valentin and Ozzie to do some TV spots on Spanish language TV and sell the Sox as the official team of the huge Spanish-speaking population in Chicago.

Jerko
02-27-2004, 09:12 AM
The day the White Sox have Shamrocks as a part of their uniform is the day I stop buying White Sox merchandise. This isn't Notre Dame.

irish rover
02-27-2004, 09:18 AM
I think they should tap some of the hollywood types like they did a few years ago

Jerko I agree, and I'm Irish/Cath and I hate ND

there are a ton of sox signs all along western ave

The south side is very diverse, Italian, Irish, Afro-Amer, Chinese, Hispanic, Polish(other Eastern euro)

Nord side is pretty much waspish, though they have Indian and Korean areas

I'm in fav of having, Irish night, Polish etc......

wdelaney72
02-27-2004, 09:28 AM
Here's a thought.

Win.

Frater Perdurabo
02-27-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
The day the White Sox have Shamrocks as a part of their uniform is the day I stop buying White Sox merchandise. This isn't Notre Dame.

For goodness sake, I'm not calling for a cheesy leprechaun or anything like that. I don't like Notre Dame and I'm not Irish, but I think that a small shamrock/clover on the uniform sleeve would be a nice touch. Just like the logo of the white sock inside the black diamond. Put the sock logo one one sleeve and put the green shamrock inside a black diamond on the other sleeve. The A's have a small logo of an elephant on their uniforms (at least they used to anyway), which, although I am not a Republican, is pretty cool. The Sox should do the same as a tip of the cap to the South Side Irish.

Fungo
02-27-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by wdelaney72
Here's a thought.

Win.

Exactly. Winning creates a buzz every time.

Jerko
02-27-2004, 09:49 AM
Here's a thought.

Win.

I like that one the best.

Uncle_Patrick
02-27-2004, 09:59 AM
Although, I agree winning would be the best thing the Sox could do, I like the idea of tying in something with the South Side Irish parade, too. Even though I live in the Northwest Suburbs, I come from a family of South Side Irish Catholics and I'm down at the South Side Irish parade every year and always see a ton of Green White Sox hats down there. I think it'd be great to see the Sox represented in the parade. I don't know if a Shamrock is necessary on the uniform, but I think it'd be a cool touch. I wouldn't mind displaying my Sox pride and Irish pride at the same time.

I like the idea of having ethnic nights too, like Irish night, Italian night, etc, but you've got to include more that European ethnicities, and then it might become too much. Someone would complain about being left out and then it becomes a PR nightmare.

CubKilla
02-27-2004, 10:11 AM
Attack the 1B coach during the home opener.

Jerko
02-27-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
For goodness sake, I'm not calling for a cheesy leprechaun or anything like that. I don't like Notre Dame and I'm not Irish, but I think that a small shamrock/clover on the uniform sleeve would be a nice touch. Just like the logo of the white sock inside the black diamond. Put the sock logo one one sleeve and put the green shamrock inside a black diamond on the other sleeve. The A's have a small logo of an elephant on their uniforms (at least they used to anyway), which, although I am not a Republican, is pretty cool. The Sox should do the same as a tip of the cap to the South Side Irish.

Ok, then I want a logo of a fish on there too to honor St. Joseph, maybe a cross for the Catholics, a Star of David for the Jewish fans, maybe a big red dot now that we have Mr. Zero, and while we're at it we can throw in the "Three Crowns" for our Swedish fans. Leave ethnic and/or religous symbols OFF the uniforms unless it's your team name or you're playing in the Olympics. We're gonna start looking like NFL Europe teams who have like one inch of uniform showing from under all the patches of sponsors they have sewn on there.

SSN721
02-27-2004, 10:28 AM
Here's a thought.

Win.

I agree, winning will get you repect and press. Especially if both CHicago teams show playoff potential. Contrary to an all New York world series, I think an all Chicago world series would be a great thing for the Sox. While both teams were hot last year there were tons of stories and guests on national radio shows comparing the two teams and speculating what the city would be like if both teams got to square off. I think the biggest thing that could happen for the Sox is to make it to the series vs the cubs and win in seven games. Lots of drama, both bad luck teams, and would garner respect from the national media for beating one of the best staffs in baseball. Also just be lots of local publicity and if the Sox could keep a trend going, could change the PR tide. Or at least put them on equal footing with the Cubs a lot faster. I also really like the idea above about reaching out more to Latino communities, I think it is a market largely untapped by sox PR. COuld be a gold mine if you would get that huge population more involved in supporting the organization.

SSN721
02-27-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
Have Bartman throw out the first pitch at the home opener.

I also think this would be a bad move on a national scale, only making the Sox look like bullies, vindictive and jealous of the more popular team. I think it would be a move only enjoyed by Sox fans but just look bad to anyone else who isnt a Sox fan.

Jerko
02-27-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
I also think this would be a bad move on a national scale, only making the Sox look like bullies, vindictive and jealous of the more popular team. I think it would be a move only enjoyed by Sox fans but just look bad to anyone else who isnt a Sox fan.

Bartman throwing out the first pitch would be as bad as that bullcrap yesterday with the ball.

SSN721
02-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
Bartman throwing out the first pitch would be as bad as that bullcrap yesterday with the ball.

Completely agree, much more direct and to the point. I beleive I was too eloquent in my post. Just think it is an absolutely horrible idea. :D:

Uncle_Patrick
02-27-2004, 11:00 AM
Anything to do with Steve Bartman on the White Sox part would be a bad idea, except maybe during the Cubs-Sox series, where it would be funny. Unfortunately, the only Sox-related stories the media wants to cover are negative. Someone has to jump on the field or throw a beer at an outfielder (remember that against Tampa Bay last year? I remember one of the guys on ESPN saying "Remember people, this is US Cellular field" like it should come as no surprise). The media want to see Sox players unhappy and struggling and Sox fans acting like white trash.

The thing the Sox need to do is appeal directly to the people, not the media. Something like the South Side Irish parade is good idea because I think the response to the Sox there would be overwhelmingly positive.

What about playing up tailgating in the parking lot? The Sox have the space to do it. Why not promote the idea of coming to a Saturday game and having things go on before hand in the parking lot. They do a little of that now, but I don't think they promote it very well.

KingXerxes
02-27-2004, 11:15 AM
How about this?

Come to the conclusion that sometimes "less is more". Start removing all the frenetic bells and whistles that accompany going to a White Sox game. Start removing advertising instead of looking for more room to put it. Get rid of those damned color boards that run along the facade of the upper deck - they look like an MTV commercial on acid. Quit with the piped in whistle noises, the faux flashbulbs, and the ever annoying sound drop-ins. Make it clear to the rest of America that you are going to return your franchise to the state of being when the baseball being played on the field was all that mattered.

When fans start returning in droves - the media will soon pick up on the fact that the White Sox are the team to be.

Try being ahead of the pack (and moving in the right direction) for a change. Instead, I'm sure will be treated to 1983 season highlights between innings being broadcast on the new LCD outfield walls.

:reinsy

"LCD is the way it's going. I think illuminated outfield walls are great. Our focus group studies show that women and kids love it - especially when we light up the wall in a peach hue......it's just beautiful"

soxnut
02-27-2004, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KingXerxes
[B]How about this?

Come to the conclusion that sometimes "less is more". Start removing all the frenetic bells and whistles that accompany going to a White Sox game. Start removing advertising instead of looking for more room to put it. Get rid of those damned color boards that run along the facade of the upper deck - they look like an MTV commercial on acid.

I don't know where people get the idea that there was this pristine time that professional baseball was pure and didn't have advertising. Wrigley is the only example of there not being ads in a ballpark. ADS HAVE ALWAY BEEN PART OF A BALLPARK!!!!(Look it up)My God, the Green Monseter used to have a huge ad on it tht took over the entire wall....... And for me, someone who really isn't into all things modern, I like the LCD. The LCD covers up alot of that ugly concrete and I just think it's cool. :smile:

The blaring of loud music can go, even though they don't seem to do it as much as they did in the mid to late 90's....

soxnut
02-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KingXerxes
[B]How about this?

Come to the conclusion that sometimes "less is more". Start removing all the frenetic bells and whistles that accompany going to a White Sox game. Start removing advertising instead of looking for more room to put it. Get rid of those damned color boards that run along the facade of the upper deck - they look like an MTV commercial on acid.

I don't know where people get the idea that there was this pristine time that professional baseball was pure and didn't have advertising. Wrigley is the only example of there not being ads in a ballpark. ADS HAVE ALWAY BEEN PART OF A BALLPARK!!!!(Look it up)My God, the Green Monseter used to have a huge ad on it tht took over the entire wall....... And for me, someone who really isn't into all things modern, I like the LCD. The LCD covers up alot of that ugly concrete and I just think it's cool. :smile:

The blaring of loud music can go, even though they don't seem to do it as much as they did in the mid to late 90's....

But really, the solution to get media coverage is....to win. Anyone remember the Bulls in the 80's??? They were less popular than the Sox are now.....hmmmmmm, I wonder what happened to turn that around?(sure MJ was there, but they still had to win)

SoxFan76
02-27-2004, 08:43 PM
I love how nobody watches the Bulls anymore. It just shows how much this isn't a basketball city. I know they suck, but crappy teams still have the hardcore fans.

When I said Bartman should throw out the first pitch, I was pretty much being sarcastic. I say "pretty much" because I really would enjoy that happening, but as many of you pointed out, it would cause more problems for Sox fans than solutions. It's very immature and would just make us seem like the little jealous brother to the Cubs.

I think the Sox need to win. Bottom line. If you win, they will come. The Tribune Co. seems to forget the Sox outdrew the Cubs for 100 years. (it was actually more like 85 years, right?) Deep down this is still a Sox town. This has personally been my most frustrating year as a Sox fan, and I sure hope they can win a few games and make a name for themselves again.

SSN721
02-28-2004, 09:38 AM
I love how nobody watches the Bulls anymore. It just shows how much this isn't a basketball city. I know they suck, but crappy teams still have the hardcore fans.

When I said Bartman should throw out the first pitch, I was pretty much being sarcastic. I say "pretty much" because I really would enjoy that happening, but as many of you pointed out, it would cause more problems for Sox fans than solutions. It's very immature and would just make us seem like the little jealous brother to the Cubs.

I think the Sox need to win. Bottom line. If you win, they will come. The Tribune Co. seems to forget the Sox outdrew the Cubs for 100 years. (it was actually more like 85 years, right?) Deep down this is still a Sox town. This has personally been my most frustrating year as a Sox fan, and I sure hope they can win a few games and make a name for themselves again.

I think a lot of people still watch the Bulls. I watched probably at least a third of the games on TV, and have gone to a couple games and they always seem to average over 15000 a night. Pretty good for a team in the basement. I still think there are a lot of basketball fans in this town and would be suprised if the UC sold out a lot if the Bulls could only go .500 again. It is still great going to games there even when the suck, the crowds are still suprisingly into it.

SoxFan76
02-28-2004, 10:50 AM
I guess you have a point. I give the crowds alot of credit. They are always into the games. But I personally have not met one fan who admits they are a Bulls fan and religiously watch a lot of games on TV.

SSN721
02-28-2004, 11:07 AM
I guess you have a point. I give the crowds alot of credit. They are always into the games. But I personally have not met one fan who admits they are a Bulls fan and religiously watch a lot of games on TV.

That is true, but since they havent quite reached Blackhawk depths of depression and despair yet I can still stomach watching the games on TV and paying for an occasional ticket for a game. Still fun going to the UC for basketball. And I am still amazed at the people that show up.

SoxFan76
02-28-2004, 03:58 PM
I always notice a lot of younger kids show up to the UC. Not like Comiskey with generally older crowds (teens-seniors), and Wrigley where 20 year old frat boys show up.

SSN721
03-01-2004, 06:17 AM
I always notice a lot of younger kids show up to the UC. Not like Comiskey with generally older crowds (teens-seniors), and Wrigley where 20 year old frat boys show up.

Yeah that is true, I do notice more younger people at Bulls games, but there also seems to be a nice core of older fans who like the kind of people that go to everygame and live and die on every possession. Hard to imagine anyone with that much passion left for that team.

Hangar18
03-01-2004, 09:57 AM
Heres an Idea. WEAR SOX STUFF Everywhere you go,
whether its a cap, tshirt, jacket, jersey, a button......Everywhere.
That will slowly get us some attention

Baby Fisk
03-01-2004, 10:11 AM
Here's a thought.

Win.
Any answer besides this one is filler.

sas1974
03-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by MarkPloch

Mullet free.
Intelligent.
Creative.

Your thoughts.

I could be wrong, but I think what Mark had in mind was something the fans could do as opposed to the team itself. Maybe some more random Sox sightings, like that character with his sign on The Today Show. Something to get the word out to people to remind them that there are TWO TEAMS in Chicago.

Frankfan4life
03-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Heres an Idea. WEAR SOX STUFF Everywhere you go,
whether its a cap, tshirt, jacket, jersey, a button......Everywhere.
That will slowly get us some attention

I love the idea. In fact I proposed something similar to this to the WS. The idea is to have several rolling vans that reward people for wearing some kind of Sox apparel. The van would stop one person a day or week wearing Sox gear and give him/her something like a $500 check, an autographed jersey or baseball, premium Sox tickets or they could receive a raffle ticket to be entered into a drawing for a grand prize, like $10,000, to be awarded on fan appreciation day. Also, a picture of the fan could be taken at the time they were stopped and posted inside or outside Sox park.

If the prize is really good, people would be encouraged to wear something with a Sox logo on it. This should take place during the entire baseball season and it should be heavily advertised.

:hurt

SSN721
03-01-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Frankfan4life
I love the idea. In fact I proposed something similar to this to the WS. The idea is to have several rolling vans that reward people for wearing some kind of Sox apparel. The van would stop one person a day or week wearing Sox gear and give him/her something like a $500 check, an autographed jersey or baseball, premium Sox tickets or they could receive a raffle ticket to be entered into a drawing for a grand prize, like $10,000, to be awarded on fan appreciation day. Also, a picture of the fan could be taken at the time they were stopped and posted inside or outside Sox park.

If the prize is really good, people would be encouraged to wear something with a Sox logo on it. This should take place during the entire baseball season and it should be heavily advertised.

:hurt

I really like this idea. Be even better to have them drive around on the north side too to encourage more fans up here to show their colors.

SouthSideHitman
03-01-2004, 12:22 PM
I think that if Sox fans want media coverage and city-wide respect, then we gotta make our voices heard. Everytime cory mcferrin, or whoever makes a crack about empty blue seats, e-mail the station. If it continues, boycott. Everytime the cubune gives cubs to Sox articles in the ratio of 2:1, let 'em hear about it. Tell major cubs sponsors that you don't want their products and that they're alienting a large part of the nation's second largest market. I admit that this is tough and can be a pain, but I think that in the end two things get results - loud, consistent, and noumerous objection and the almighty dollar.

Frankfan4life
03-01-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
I really like this idea. Be even better to have them drive around on the north side too to encourage more fans up here to show their colors.
Thanks, I'm glad you like that idea. We need promotions that will get all of the fans involved.

I've got another idea. A White Sox Song Contest. The Sox would ask the fans to write an original White Sox song. The fans would submit the song and lyrics and a panel would review the songs and pick two or more winners each week. At each home game the fan will perform the song. A panel, made up of former and current players, celebrities, and/or the fans in the stands, will vote for their favorite song. At the end of each month, one or more song(s) will be chosen to compete for a grand prize. It could be promoted by playing samples of the finalists' songs on the radio.

This will generate a lot of creativety, some new White Sox "fight" songs, and a lot of fun for the fans. It could be something like American Idol.

I'm hoping that then maybe we could sing the winning song at the seventh inning stretch instead of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." I'm so sick of that!!

I already offered this idea to the White Sox with no strings attached. So, I'm just putting it out here to see what you all think.