PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf at Score Offices Today

Viva Magglio
02-26-2004, 11:45 PM
On the way to the Loyola game, I heard Mike North mention that Jerry Reinsdorf visited the Score's offices at NBC Tower today. On the way home, I heard George Ofman mention it during his "Sox Report" with J. Hood.

Gee, now what do you suppose Reinsdorf was doing at the Score offices today? Interesting, especially after news of Reinsdorf's displeasure with ESPN Radio 1000, eh?

Lip Man 1
02-27-2004, 12:56 AM
From what I read posted on that subject on another thread, the folks at ESPN Radio 1000 are probably saying 'go Jerry go! and take your lousy teams with you...

Lip

ChiSox14305635
02-27-2004, 01:50 AM
If the Sox want to bring their games back to 670 AM, fine by me. Then I don't have to listen to ESPN 1000 where they promote the one man who goes out of his way to slander the Sox.

Kittle
02-27-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
If the Sox want to bring their games back to 670 AM, fine by me. Then I don't have to listen to ESPN 1000 where they promote the one man who goes out of his way to slander the Sox.

Agreed. What's even more idiotic is that they black out the far superior Tony Kornheiser in Chicago in favor of this jackass (although you can circumvent that by listening on the web).

ESPN's been going downhill big time for the past year and a half or so. All the stupid reality TV programming is pretty bad, but it doesn't get much worse than hiring Moronotti to do a radio show. I'd be glad to see the Sox leave this sinking ship.

SSN721
02-27-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Kittle
Agreed. What's even more idiotic is that they black out the far superior Tony Kornheiser in Chicago in favor of this jackass (although you can circumvent that by listening on the web).

Now that I completely agree with. I am just so glad that I can listen to the internet radio at work so I can still hear TK in the morning, but he will be leaving at the end of march to concentrate fully on PTI anyway. So I cant wait to see how his replacement is, cant possibly compare. If the Sox went to The Score, fine by me, then will probably get full shows of Mac, Jerko and Harry isnce they dont have to get cutoff for pregame and postgame shows. But will John Rooney and Ed Farmer still do the broadcast, if not then I hate the move.

Sad
02-27-2004, 08:21 AM
oh man would I love the SOX broadcasts to switch from AM1000

takes a real effort to listen to that station here in MI when the sun goes down... the Score comes in much better.

Kittle
02-27-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
Now that I completely agree with. I am just so glad that I can listen to the internet radio at work so I can still hear TK in the morning, but he will be leaving at the end of march to concentrate fully on PTI anyway.

Really? I didn't know about that (haven't really been listening to his show every day for the past couple months... been too busy at work).

That sucks. I like PTI, but his radio show is also great.

And I agree that whoever they replace him with won't be in the same ballpark.

soxnut
02-27-2004, 09:42 AM
I think it would be a great move for them to go to the Score, a much stronger signal. Even though I don't like the Score as much as I used to, at least when the Sox are on, it would preempt some of their lousy on-air talent. On that note, the bad thing is, the Sox don't play any games between 10a-2p :(:

Viva Magglio
02-27-2004, 12:21 PM
I am sure Rooney & Farmer would move to the Score with the Sox should that happen. They are really there at the pleasure of the team and not the radio station. They were the broadcast team when the Sox were previously on the 670 AM frequency (under WMAQ). The question is if people like Dave Wills will move to the Score.

If the Sox were to move back to 670 AM, it would be for the 2006 season. 2004 and 2005 are on the ESPN 1000 contract. I suppose the Sox could move to the Score as early as 2005 if WMVP and JR mutually agree to terminate the contract early.

Over By There
02-27-2004, 12:41 PM
I would think Rooney & Farmer (who are so much fun to listen to) would go wherever the broadcast goes. I would think it's similar to Hawk & DJ who are selected by the team, not the station, right?

If this was to happen, I hope Dave Wills goes with. He seems to get on some people's nerves (particularly non-Sox fans), but I like him.

KingXerxes
02-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Over By There
If this was to happen, I hope Dave Wills goes with. He seems to get on some people's nerves (particularly non-Sox fans), but I like him.

:wills

"It's a bunch of drillrods at WSCR.........just drillrods that's all. I would never want to work with the pack of drillrods that they've assembled, because then I'd be surrounded by drillrods who would be making drillrod comments about how many times I use the word "drillrod" in a given post-game show................nothing but drillrods I tell ya."

KingXerxes
02-27-2004, 12:46 PM
:farmer

"Wouldn't want to go to WSCR that's for sure........can't say why exactly other than to say that I'm not thrilled working with radio stations who use their call letters to try and spell out a word, and then use this word as their monicker.......for examply, WGN is called WGN because the Tribune ownership obtained the call letters to mean World's Greatest Newspaper - therefor WGN, and WBBM was owned by a battery company who's name escapes me right now, but their call letters stood for World's Best Battery Maker. Sears owned WLS (World's Largest Store) and so on - see those stations are all okay with me because they use their call letters as initials and not as some sort of vowel-less word. That all being said I can't figure out what WSCR could stand for unless it's Washington's Six Cylinder Roadster - but then we'd have to start up an entire car company for that to make any sense......"

:hawk

"I used to love runnin' about the country in my Washington Six. Mercy..................wish I still had it DJ...................I'll bet it still out there runnin' somewhere....."

Tekijawa
02-27-2004, 12:59 PM
Maybe North and Jiggets are making a bid for the team?

pudge
02-27-2004, 01:10 PM
Now that I completely agree with. I am just so glad that I can listen to the internet radio at work so I can still hear TK in the morning, but he will be leaving at the end of march to concentrate fully on PTI anyway. So I cant wait to see how his replacement is, cant possibly compare. If the Sox went to The Score, fine by me, then will probably get full shows of Mac, Jerko and Harry isnce they dont have to get cutoff for pregame and postgame shows. But will John Rooney and Ed Farmer still do the broadcast, if not then I hate the move.

TK is leaving because he's getting cut in local markets (just like in Chicago) and the reason he's getting cut in local markets is because his show is lame and is hurting in the ratings. But you're entitled to your opinion on TK. (Granted, I imagine Mariotti is much worse.)

ESPN wants the Sox out because they signed a stupid deal... Also, you gotta have the programming around the live sports events to really help your ratings. Without that, live sports will never make you money. ESPN is dumb, the Sox are better off elsewhere.

Randar68
02-27-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by pudge
TK is leaving because he's getting cut in local markets (just like in Chicago) and the reason he's getting cut in local markets is because his show is lame and is hurting in the ratings. But you're entitled to your opinion on TK. (Granted, I imagine Mariotti is much worse.)

ESPN wants the Sox out because they signed a stupid deal... Also, you gotta have the programming around the live sports events to really help your ratings. Without that, live sports will never make you money. ESPN is dumb, the Sox are better off elsewhere.

TK is the only actual Intelligent Sports Radio I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. I no longer listen to anything on ESPN other than live sports broadcasts. Rome??? 80% of that show is dead air.

Patrick and TK were the only things worth listening to. Is Chicago so stupid that they can't understand listening to nation-wide radio? Instead, they get replaced with moronic bigots and blowhards???

UGH....

Brian26
02-27-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
TK is the only actual Intelligent Sports Radio I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. I no longer listen to anything on ESPN other than live sports broadcasts. Rome??? 80% of that show is dead air.

Patrick and TK were the only things worth listening to. Is Chicago so stupid that they can't understand listening to nation-wide radio? Instead, they get replaced with moronic bigots and blowhards???

UGH....

Although Golic isn't great, I really do enjoy listening to Mike & Mike in the morning. Although it has a national flair, topics are discussed very intelligently, and the guests are outstanding.

Randar68
02-27-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Although Golic isn't great, I really do enjoy listening to Mike & Mike in the morning. Although it has a national flair, topics are discussed very intelligently, and the guests are outstanding.

The thing I really liked about TK, other than his self-depricating humor, was the fact that he rarely would spout off definitively about somthing he wasn't real familiar with. He'd get local sportswriters or people in-the-know on to talk about it...

The radio in this town his absolute crap. How many ignorant knee-jerk a-holes are on in Chicago? Almost every prime-time sports-talk show falls into that category...

Kittle
02-27-2004, 01:40 PM

UGH....

Agreed. Mike and Mike are OK. I like Dibble, but DP's a wanker IMO. Rome's funny every once in a while when he rips people. But that's about it.

TK is knowledgeable, entertaining (tells great stories), and doesn't come off like a know-it-all (Moronotti). I'll definitely miss his show.

Dub25
02-27-2004, 01:55 PM
Sox on the score would be great. I'll never have to turn to am 1000. Maybe J Hood could do the pre and post game instead of that butt kissing job protecting moron Dave Wills.

Mammoo
02-27-2004, 02:50 PM
Owner Jerry will go where he can get the most cash. That's really all he cares about. If ESPN1000 outbids everyone else they'll stay there.

Viva Magglio
02-27-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
:farmer

"Wouldn't want to go to WSCR that's for sure........can't say why exactly other than to say that I'm not thrilled working with radio stations who use their call letters to try and spell out a word, and then use this word as their monicker.......for examply, WGN is called WGN because the Tribune ownership obtained the call letters to mean World's Greatest Newspaper - therefor WGN, and WBBM was owned by a battery company who's name escapes me right now, but their call letters stood for World's Best Battery Maker. Sears owned WLS (World's Largest Store) and so on - see those stations are all okay with me because they use their call letters as initials and not as some sort of vowel-less word. That all being said I can't figure out what WSCR could stand for unless it's Washington's Six Cylinder Roadster - but then we'd have to start up an entire car company for that to make any sense......"

Actually, "Ed," WBBM owes its call letters to "We Broadcast Better Music."

KingXerxes
02-27-2004, 03:20 PM
I think Ed was referring to WBBM-AM, which predates the FM station by several years.

SSN721
02-27-2004, 04:01 PM
The thing I really liked about TK, other than his self-depricating humor, was the fact that he rarely would spout off definitively about somthing he wasn't real familiar with. He'd get local sportswriters or people in-the-know on to talk about it...

The radio in this town his absolute crap. How many ignorant knee-jerk a-holes are on in Chicago? Almost every prime-time sports-talk show falls into that category...

Entirely agree. I like TKs refusal to have athletes on, I get my fill of that from DP and Dibble, which I like because they usually get entertaining athletes on. But it is nice hearing the perspective from all the media people that TK gets on, and I like the fact he doesnt care going off sports topics occasionally and talking about things other then sports to keep the show fresh and interesting. ANd now I will really miss "old guy radio" his newest segment which I cant beleive any radio station would ever allow another host to do, ever. Sorry didnt meant to turn this into a ESPN talent debate, just sorry to see him go. I would much rather Golic got dumped instead of thing, there has to be someone more intelligent to pair with Greenberg in the morning.

Kittle
02-27-2004, 04:07 PM
But it is nice hearing the perspective from all the media people that TK gets on, and I like the fact he doesnt care going off sports topics occasionally and talking about things other then sports to keep the show fresh and interesting.

The story about the limo driver was great. TK's a great story teller and I'll miss that.

I'll miss his theme music as well. "Awwwww.... Tony, Tony!"

SSN721
02-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Kittle
The story about the limo driver was great. TK's a great story teller and I'll miss that.

I'll miss his theme music as well. "Awwwww.... Tony, Tony!"

Definitely, I am only mad that I just found him a little over a year ago, wish I had heard him longer now that he will be off the radio. Damn this is turning into a lovefest. :D: I also forgot to add that I would hope Dave Wills would move with the rest of the crew if they change stations, would definitely miss his heavily biased pro-Sox reporting and shows.

pudge
02-27-2004, 04:21 PM

Maybe TK is better than most of what's out there, but I had a real hard time with his show... he doesn't know much of ANYTHING, he's always relying on his lackey's to look stuff up for him, he never comes prepared for his shows (he always needs to "google" information on air - how about "googling" before your show, buddy?), he just spouts off about random stuff like his personal life, his movie opinions, his "old guy radio", etc. I could care less about those things.

I guess it's just a matter of opinion, but his show never worked for me. I guess he had somewhat of a cult following, but I'm not surprised he's getting the boot.

Randar68
02-27-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Maybe TK is better than most of what's out there, but I had a real hard time with his show... he doesn't know much of ANYTHING, he's always relying on his lackey's to look stuff up for him, he never comes prepared for his shows (he always needs to "google" information on air - how about "googling" before your show, buddy?), he just spouts off about random stuff like his personal life, his movie opinions, his "old guy radio", etc. I could care less about those things.

I guess it's just a matter of opinion, but his show never worked for me. I guess he had somewhat of a cult following, but I'm not surprised he's getting the boot.

I agree he goes off on a lot of things perhaps not directly related to sports, but I appreciate the story-telling element, and hsi was some of the last bit of real, old-time radio. Today's sports hosts explain things as if you can see what they're talking about, and few, if any, have literary skills or enough intelligence to discuss a topic without trying to tear-down any critic to their idea...

Thankfully, I'm soon moving to Baltimore, so I'll be able to listen once again...

Viva Magglio
02-27-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
I think Ed was referring to WBBM-AM, which predates the FM station by several years.

WBBM-AM did broadcast music before it became all news in 1968. Many of the great AM stations got their start broadcasting music and variety programs. WMAQ, WGN, WLS, and WBBM all fit into this category.

doctor30th
02-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Sad

takes a real effort to listen to that station here in MI when the sun goes down... the Score comes in much better.

I agree I only live in bloomington and have a heck of a time listening to ESPN 1000. They must turn off a signal booster at 8pm because every time I would listen to the game at 8 pm the signal would go from mostly clear to absolute static.

I don't think it was a coincedence that it happened every night at the same exact time. I wrote ESPN 1000 about it but never got a response.

whitesoxwilkes
02-27-2004, 10:18 PM
I have a REALLY dumb question I am almost embarassed to ask: When is Les Grobstein on?

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-27-2004, 10:50 PM
Yeah, ESPN 1000 sucks at night unlike the Score. I could get the Score in Minnesota and while driving home at night in Wisconsin I tried to listen to the Sox-Tribe on ESPN and couldn't get it, but I got the game from the station in Cleveland.

duke of dorwood
02-28-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Sad

Crap travels

TornLabrum
02-28-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by doctor30th
I agree I only live in bloomington and have a heck of a time listening to ESPN 1000. They must turn off a signal booster at 8pm because every time I would listen to the game at 8 pm the signal would go from mostly clear to absolute static.

I don't think it was a coincedence that it happened every night at the same exact time. I wrote ESPN 1000 about it but never got a response.

WMVP broadcasts with a power of 50 kW, but at night they have a directional signal. Until I tried to listen to the Sox in Michigan while making a road trip to Detroit and completely losing the signal less than half way across the state, I assumed that the signal was directed to the east. Apparently it's more to the south.

WSCR (the former WMAQ) has the same power but was previously a clear channel. Therefore, the only stations occupying that frequency after dark are local stations. There is no directionality to its signal, so after dark it is heard in 38 states and several Canadian provinces.

soxnut
02-28-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

WSCR (the former WMAQ) has the same power but was previously a clear channel. Therefore, the only stations occupying that frequency after dark are local stations. There is no directionality to its signal, so after dark it is heard in 38 states and several Canadian provinces.

That is enough reason for me for the Sox to switch to 670.... :smile: