PDA

View Full Version : Magglio's extra coin

34rancher
02-26-2004, 11:32 PM
Has anyone else noticed that he has started to become more involved with endorsements? From the Pepsi ads last year to the new Galyans advertisement for Nike Pro and Dry-Fit gear that I received in the mail today. I think that his agent would be a fool to move him from a market like Chicago that is lacking a true superstar in the marketing field. I wonder if by taking a little less salary from baseball, he could own this town with marketing and endorsements.

By the way, the Galyans ad is pretty cool.

sas1974
02-26-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by 34rancher
Has anyone else noticed that he has started to become more involved with endorsements? From the Pepsi ads last year to the new Galyans advertisement for Nike Pro and Dry-Fit gear that I received in the mail today. I think that his agent would be a fool to move him from a market like Chicago that is lacking a true superstar in the marketing field. I wonder if by taking a little less salary from baseball, he could own this town with marketing and endorsements.

By the way, the Galyans ad is pretty cool.

That's unless the evil empire grabbed him. NY's not a bad market either. Let's keep out fingers crossed though.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-26-2004, 11:45 PM
Just as long as he doesn't do any deoderant commercials like Giambi. "One thing about a woman is that they don't smell like a man." That was so corny.

34rancher
02-26-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
That's unless the evil empire grabbed him. NY's not a bad market either. Let's keep out fingers crossed though.

Not sure there will be enough advertising dollars for Roidambi, AROD, Jeter, etc. Speaking of the Yankees, how bad is Boone hurt for them to release him?

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-26-2004, 11:50 PM
I'm pretty sure it's just a cost cutting move. The Yankees save around five million because he broke a clause in his contract by playing basketball which allowed the yankees to void his contract. He tore his ACL so he won't be playing until 2005. Somehow I picture the Yankees signing him to play 2b in 2005.

sas1974
02-27-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
I'm pretty sure it's just a cost cutting move. The Yankees save around five million because he broke a clause in his contract by playing basketball which allowed the yankees to void his contract. He tore his ACL so he won't be playing until 2005. Somehow I picture the Yankees signing him to play 2b in 2005.

Yea, I think they only owe him $900K, which is still crazy. It would be so nice if I was unable to do my job and they paid $900K for my trouble.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-27-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
Yea, I think they only owe him $900K, which is still crazy. It would be so nice if I was unable to do my job and they paid $900K for my trouble.
Or he could have just lied and said that he tripped over his dog. He'd be getting all the of the contract $$$. Good to see an honest guy for once.

sas1974
02-27-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
Or he could have just lied and said that he tripped over his dog. He'd be getting all the of the contract $$$. Good to see an honest guy for once.

Or he could have said that he fell off of his truck while he was washing it.

Lip Man 1
02-27-2004, 12:47 AM
Stat of the week:

2.4 million

Amount by which the Yankees payroll increased after they shed the salaries of Drew Henson and Aaron Boone (via buy outs) and traded Alfonso Soriano for Alex Rodriguez.

4.4 million

Value of tickets sold by the Yankees in the four days after they traded for Rodriguez.

As Steve Rosenbloom would say 'you have to spend money to make money...connect the dots Sox management.'

Lip

StillMissOzzie
02-27-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Stat of the week:

2.4 million

Amount by which the Yankees payroll increased after they shed the salaries of Drew Henson and Aaron Boone (via buy outs) and traded Alfonso Soriano for Alex Rodriguez.

4.4 million

Value of tickets sold by the Yankees in the four days after they traded for Rodriguez.

As Steve Rosenbloom would say 'you have to spend money to make money...connect the dots Sox management.'

Lip

You can't stop here, Lip.

$179 million

Added salary by taking on A-Rod's gigantic contract.

While I'm certainly no JR apologist, if you're gonna tell the story, tell the WHOLE story.

SMO

Mickster
02-27-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
You can't stop here, Lip.

$179 million

Added salary by taking on A-Rod's gigantic contract.

While I'm certainly no JR apologist, if you're gonna tell the story, tell the WHOLE story.

SMO

SMO,

That is correct. Tell the whole store. You left off that the Rangers are picking up approx. $70mil of AROD's salary. True cost to the yanks: Approx. $10-12mil per year. A bargain when you think about it!

SEALgep
02-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Mickster
SMO,

That is correct. Tell the whole store. You left off that the Rangers are picking up approx. $70mil of AROD's salary. True cost to the yanks: Approx. $10-12mil per year. A bargain when you think about it! They are paying $16 million per season on average.

Mickster
02-27-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
They are paying $16 million per season on average.

Sorry, should have been more specific. It is costing the the yanks $11.6M per season, considering Soriano's salary of $5.4Miil is gone.

SEALgep
02-27-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Mickster
Sorry, should have been more specific. It is costing the the yanks $11.6M per season, considering Soriano's salary of $5.4Miil is gone. Right on, I should have picked up on that. It was a bargain, but Soriano is a hell of a player too. Not A-Rod, but not chump change either. However, you have to figure that Soriano will be making probably closer to $8 million next year.

ewokpelts
02-27-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Right on, I should have picked up on that. It was a bargain, but Soriano is a hell of a player too. Not A-Rod, but not chump change either. However, you have to figure that Soriano will be making probably closer to $8 million next year.

he's under contrat until next season...so he'll still bemaking about 5...and he's under rangers control until 2007
Gene

SEALgep
02-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
he's under contrat until next season...so he'll still bemaking about 5...and he's under rangers control until 2007
Gene Ya, but he'll still be getting an increase in salary. I believe that $8 million prediction was made by someone on ESPN, when the trade actually went down.