PDA

View Full Version : Thursday, Feb. 26 Quote Of The Day

Lip Man 1
02-26-2004, 12:57 PM
"I'm paying them $60 million a year (luxury tax / revenue sharing), and God knows what they're doing with it. I only know they take it gladly and then bellyache about the guy who pays it to them.'' --George Steinbrenner to the N.Y. Daily News.

Interesting owner scam of the day.....

Here's a startling statistic about the Brewers from HBO's "Real Sports'': The team receives about $20 million in revenue sharing and has a $30 million payroll.

By the way... did you know it's against the law in the CBA to take revenue sharing money and NOT spend it on improving the team. Guess the commissioner has granted a special dispensation to teams like the Brewers and Reds.

Lip

faneidde
02-26-2004, 01:00 PM
Are you trying to say that Bud Selig is letting owners cheat? Say it ain't so, Bud.

IlliniSox
02-26-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
"I'm paying them $60 million a year (luxury tax / revenue sharing), and God knows what they're doing with it. I only know they take it gladly and then bellyache about the guy who pays it to them.'' --George Steinbrenner to the N.Y. Daily News.

Interesting owner scam of the day.....

Here's a startling statistic about the Brewers from HBO's "Real Sports'': The team receives about $20 million in revenue sharing and has a $30 million payroll.

By the way... did you know it's against the law in the CBA to take revenue sharing money and NOT spend it on improving the team. Guess the commissioner has granted a special dispensation to teams like the Brewers and Reds.

Lip

I'm clueless on this subject, What exactly is the threshold for teams paying/recieving the luxury tax?

Lip Man 1
02-26-2004, 04:48 PM
I think (and daver would know for sure) that teams with a payroll abouve 120 million have to pay a luxury tax. I don't know what the terms are for getting welfare er...I mean revenue sharing money.

Lip

SoxEd
02-26-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

C'mon Lip, that $20mil really is improving the team - how badly would they suck if the payroll was only $10mil? :smile:

MarkEdward
02-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by IlliniSox
I'm clueless on this subject, What exactly is the threshold for teams paying/recieving the luxury tax?

Here's a quick and dirty summary of the latest CBA that answers some of your question, I think:
http://roadsidephotos.com/baseball/laborstatus.htm