PDA

View Full Version : Bright spot in 2004: cubs vs sox

inta
02-26-2004, 11:36 AM
I was just looking at the schedules for the cubs and sox this summer since my buddy and i are doing our annual bet on who will win the crosstown series.

both cubs/sox series are within a week or two of each other.
the cubs are facing the cards, astros and A's around the same time. the sox are facing more mediocre teams like montreal and cleveland.

not too shabby.

CubKilla
02-26-2004, 11:45 AM
I fail to see a connection

Jerko
02-26-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by inta
I was just looking at the schedules for the cubs and sox this summer since my buddy and i are doing our annual bet on who will win the crosstown series.

both cubs/sox series are within a week or two of each other.
the cubs are facing the cards, astros and A's around the same time. the sox are facing more mediocre teams like montreal and cleveland.

not too shabby.

I'm more worried about playing KC and New York for the first 2 weeks of the season while the Twins play Cleveland and Detroit. Maybe inta meant that Dusty can't "frontload" his rotation against us since they have the Cards, Astros and A's to deal with as well?

CubKilla
02-26-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
Maybe inta meant that Dusty can't "frontload" his rotation against us since they have the Cards, Astros and A's to deal with as well?

Maybe. But come June, you usually gotta go with your rotation as it falls at that time. Working a Wood or Loaiza, for example, on 3 days rest just because it's the Cubs/Sox series isn't beneficial to either team considering there's still 3+ months left to the baseball season.

Jerko
02-26-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Maybe. But come June, you usually gotta go with your rotation as it falls at that time. Working a Wood or Loaiza, for example, on 3 days rest just because it's the Cubs/Sox series isn't beneficial to either team considering there's still 3+ months left to the baseball season.

I actually think JM switched the rotation last season right before the Cub series. I'm not sure though but I think I remember reading about it.

CubKilla
02-26-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
I actually think JM switched the rotation last season right before the Cub series. I'm not sure though but I think I remember reading about it.

I doubt it since they played the Red Sox and Minnesota before the Cubs. They had the Monday off between the Cubs/Twins series so maybe the 5th starter was skipped?

inta
02-26-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I fail to see a connection

cubs play the astros 9 times in june and the cards 7 times. those are going to be intense must win games for the cubs. games were they can cruise to the top of the NL central and hold a wide margin possibly.

they face the cards 3 times before going to the cell, then host the astros for 3 games fore hosting the sox.

i'm pretty sure dusty cares much more about making as much distance in the NL central as possible. therefore reducing the possibility we'll see maddux, wood, prior many times if at all.

if all aligns right, sure it aint the prettiest way to win a series. but i'm sure i'll be eating so much cubbie dirt this summer, it'd be nice if the sox won both series as they usually do.