PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to the Sox fan on the Today Show

rdivaldi
02-26-2004, 11:09 AM
With our fair city facing one of it's more embarrassing days with the absurd ball destruction ceremony, I would like to thank the Sox fan who rightfully held up a sign outside of the Today Show that read, "Get Over It, Go To A Sox Game". It was in plain view for at least the last half hour of the show.

doublem23
02-26-2004, 11:11 AM
Ha ha ha... That's great.

Hangar18
02-26-2004, 11:12 AM
wow. that took guts. Thats about as Compelling a shot
as that 1989 picture of a lone person standing in front of a tank

Rocky Soprano
02-26-2004, 11:16 AM
Did anyone get a pic of this?

Hokiesox
02-26-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
wow. that took guts. Thats about as Compelling a shot
as that 1989 picture of a lone person standing in front of a tank

Hangar, please tell me that should have been in teal.

thecell
02-26-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
With our fair city facing one of it's more embarrassing days with the absurd ball destruction ceremony, I would like to thank the Sox fan who rightfully held up a sign outside of the Today Show that read, "Get Over It, Go To A Sox Game". It was in plain view for at least the last half hour of the show.

Too bad everyone will think it meant the Red Sox.

rdivaldi
02-26-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by thecell
Too bad everyone will think it meant the Red Sox.

Nope, the guy who did it was smart enough to have 2 large White Sox logos on the sign as well.

thecell
02-26-2004, 11:29 AM
Nope, the guy who did it was smart enough to have 2 large White Sox logos on the sign as well.

Beautiful!

CubKilla
02-26-2004, 11:30 AM
LOL! Great sign. Thanks for relaying the story since I'm on Chicago and national sports media blackout today due to this incredibly stupid ball destruction BS.

LuvSox
02-26-2004, 11:41 AM
Awesome!

ChiSox14305635
02-26-2004, 11:52 AM
I saw it too. It was a beautiful thing. Of course, they tried to pan away from him every chance they got.

SSN721
02-26-2004, 12:04 PM
Thats awesome, only wish I had the day off so I could have joined him in his silent protest of injustice. :D:

quade36
02-26-2004, 12:10 PM
we need to get a picture of this

Hangar18
02-26-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by quade36
we need to get a picture of this

One of our Brothers.....acting Defiantly in the face of the Media.
We need to find him, and Thank Him for his Actions, which was
a Slap in the Cub-Loving-Katie-Couric-Bandwagon-Jumping Face.
Excellent

Fungo
02-26-2004, 02:47 PM
here's the link to the Today Show website. You can see the whole video @
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3032633/
look for...Latest Today show video, video 6 (Cubs' cursed ball to be destroyed). Plays in Windows Media player. About halfway thru you can see a good picture of the sign.

What nonsense

There is what looks to be a giant inflatable Steve Dahl in the background as well.

Mighty4
02-26-2004, 03:11 PM
One of our Brothers.....acting Defiantly in the face of the Media.
We need to find him, and Thank Him for his Actions, which was
a Slap in the Cub-Loving-Katie-Couric-Bandwagon-Jumping Face.
Excellent

Katie Couric needs more than just one slap, and not necessarily in the face either.

WSox8404
02-26-2004, 03:16 PM
We should find this guy and send him some stuff. That took a lot of guts. Too bad there couldn't be like 50 people like him out there. That would have been even better.

Irishsox1
02-26-2004, 03:24 PM
NBC and the Tribune Corp must have had a problem with the video, because its been yanked off the website. The Pro-Sox sign was found to be "offensive" and harmful to the dimwitted Cubs fans. On a side note, since the Super Bowl, I'm tired of all these nut balls freaking out about indecent material on TV and Radio. This stupid baseball getting blown up is indecent and offensive to me as a Sox fan.

Hangar18
02-26-2004, 04:10 PM
Isnt it a Mystery that It wont work now? God forbid there
should be someone that DOESNT like the cubs in this town, nor
the stupid coverage a baseball is getting, hijacking the cub name, all done really under the Guise of "Charity". what BS.
And NBC and Today Show Fell for it ....Hook In Mouth

Jerko
02-26-2004, 04:14 PM
More of that integrity baseball likes to pretend it has all the time. Funny what a little $$$$$ can do to integrity when greased across the right palms.

kittle42
02-26-2004, 04:17 PM
I brought up our sign-holding brother to my Cub fan friends. They said it was just another example of Sox fans being more concerned with the Cubs than with their own team.

Jerko
02-26-2004, 04:22 PM
What going on today really has anything to do with the Cubs as a team? The players on the Cub team are even sick of this! This is just Cub "fans" looking for another excuse to force themselves on everybody and to remind us all how pathetic and stupid they are.

rdivaldi
02-26-2004, 04:42 PM
I brought up our sign-holding brother to my Cub fan friends. They said it was just another example of Sox fans being more concerned with the Cubs than with their own team.

Is that the only reply Flubbie fans can come up with? As a Chicagoan I'm embarrassed by this ridiculous ball execution. This kind of stuff makes us the laughing stock of the sports world, are they just too brainwashed to see this?

Flub fans are just too sensitive when we point out their stupidity...

Brian26
02-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Fungo
There is what looks to be a giant inflatable Steve Dahl in the background as well.

Actually that's the real Steve, after another delicious dinner at Dell Rhea's Chicken Basket.

ode to veeck
02-26-2004, 06:00 PM
Is that the only reply Flubbie fans can come up with? As a Chicagoan I'm embarrassed by this ridiculous ball execution. This kind of stuff makes us the laughing stock of the sports world, are they just too brainwashed to see this?

Good thing something stole centerstage from our friggin gay marriages in SF

JGarlandrules20
02-26-2004, 06:13 PM
the Cub-Loving-Katie-Couric-Bandwagon-Jumping.

I caught a little bit of her in the morning..with that cub hat. Gah.

Did anyone see that introduction thing about Chicago and how they were talking about the sports teams. They were like "Da Bears, Da Bulls, Da Cubs, and 'Dat' other team"(referring to the sox..of course). :angry:

I changed the channel after that.

MRKARNO
02-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by JGarlandrules20
I caught a little bit of her in the morning..with that cub hat. Gah.

Did anyone see that introduction thing about Chicago and how they were talking about the sports teams. They were like "Da Bears, Da Bulls, Da Cubs, and 'Dat' other team"(referring to the sox..of course). :angry:

I changed the channel after that.

Are you sure they werent talking about the Blackhawks?

kittle42
02-26-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
Good thing something stole centerstage from our friggin gay marriages in SF

President Bush, you do't need to go under *two* screen names here. (See other post)

Daver
02-26-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
President Bush, you do't need to go under *two* screen names here. (See other post)

Ode has been around these forums since the Rivals days,accusing him of having an alter ego is preposterous.

OneDog
02-26-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
NBC and the Tribune Corp must have had a problem with the video, because its been yanked off the website. The Pro-Sox sign was found to be "offensive" and harmful to the dimwitted Cubs fans. On a side note, since the Super Bowl, I'm tired of all these nut balls freaking out about indecent material on TV and Radio. This stupid baseball getting blown up is indecent and offensive to me as a Sox fan.

This stupid baseball getting blown up is indecent and offensive to me as a human being with at least half a functioning brain.

OneDog
02-26-2004, 09:12 PM
Help me out here. I've been in class and at work all day and I'm already cut out of Chicago media as it is. Did I hear right? Did NBC actually make Katie Couric do a feature story on this sack of dog crap story?

MRKARNO
02-26-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by OneDog
Help me out here. I've been in class and at work all day and I'm already cut out of Chicago media as it is. Did I hear right? Did NBC actually make Katie Couric do a feature story on this sack of dog crap story?

The Today show was in Chicago as it was planned for a while before the bartman ball was auctioned. Uncoincidentally, the "execution" was scheduled for today. Of course Couric had to do a special

ihatethecubs
02-27-2004, 02:32 AM
i too must take the time to post a salute to that man

hsnterprize
02-27-2004, 08:02 AM
With our fair city facing one of it's more embarrassing days with the absurd ball destruction ceremony, I would like to thank the Sox fan who rightfully held up a sign outside of the Today Show that read, "Get Over It, Go To A Sox Game". It was in plain view for at least the last half hour of the show. And I can confirm that because there was a highlight package shown on the NBC 5 morning news show the next morning, and they showed a segue from a segment into the weather, I saw the sign. I appeared on both the national broadcast and Andy Avalos' local weather breaks. And...the "Sox" in that sign was a White Sox logo.

They also showed the Mayor saying he was a White Sox fan, but would support the "ball destruction" because the whole she-bang was raising money for Juvenile Diabates.

steff
02-27-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by WSox8404
We should find this guy and send him some stuff. That took a lot of guts. Too bad there couldn't be like 50 people like him out there. That would have been even better.

Oh yes.. too bad there weren't THOUSANDS of Sox fans out there protesting.

Taking the day off work to stand out in the cold holding a sign bringing attention to the fact that Sox fans have one ounce of interest in this bull****.

BeerHandle
02-27-2004, 08:50 AM
That is so great! We need to get a picture on the web site.

MarkPloch
02-27-2004, 08:51 AM
I watched the whole Today show and that Sox sign was visable quite a bit. They never made any deliberate attempt to shy away from that sign. There were too many signs they could not avoid all of them.

I was disappointed with the Chicago coverage. It was pretty sterotypical. Cubs, Blues, Food, Sears Tower.

We as Sox fans have to come up with some ideas to get TV coverage.

What can we do?

Ideas

Fungo
02-27-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
i too must take the time to post a salute to that man We salute you mister "Get Over It, Go To A Sox Game" sign holder-upper.

Originally posted by steff

Taking the day off work to stand out in the cold holding a sign bringing attention to the fact that Sox fans have one ounce of interest in this bull****. Are you saying you weren't at least curious as to how they would destroy the ball? I hate the cubs as much as the next guy, but I know I tuned in just to see how they would do it.

irish rover
02-27-2004, 09:36 AM
did any on see the guy dressed up in an ivy suit with the harry doll attached to it, MSNBC showed just before going to a commercial

fuzzy_patters
02-27-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by MarkPloch
I watched the whole Today show and that Sox sign was visable quite a bit. They never made any deliberate attempt to shy away from that sign. There were too many signs they could not avoid all of them.

I was disappointed with the Chicago coverage. It was pretty sterotypical. Cubs, Blues, Food, Sears Tower.

What can we do?

Ideas

We could always attack an umpire or something. That seems to be the only way the Sox get any media coverage.

CubKilla
02-27-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by irish rover
did any on see the guy dressed up in an ivy suit with the harry doll attached to it, MSNBC showed just before going to a commercial

Crap like this is why Sox fans need to do everything in our power to destroy all that is CubDumb.

Viva Magglio
02-27-2004, 12:28 PM
During her piece on Chicago, Katie actually mentioned that the White Sox exist. She said something along the lines "Let's not forget about Chicago's other baseball team..." Not only was there the Sox sign talked about in this thread, the "Clear Buck Weaver" signs were front and center during the show as well.

Viva Magglio
02-27-2004, 12:34 PM
We salute you mister "Get Over It, Go To A Sox Game" sign holder-upper.

Bud Light jingle.

steff
02-27-2004, 01:08 PM
Are you saying you weren't at least curious as to how they would destroy the ball? I hate the cubs as much as the next guy, but I know I tuned in just to see how they would do it.

That's what I'm saying. Didn't watch any news yesterday morning. Went after work to buy a new car last night to avoid tv completely, and no tv or newspaper this morning. Listened to Howard until he was off and been listening to some CD's since. Have not read 1 thread but this one about it either. I had no interest at all.

Brian26
02-27-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by steff

Taking the day off work to stand out in the cold holding a sign bringing attention to the fact that Sox fans have one ounce of interest in this bull****.

Haha. And I'm sure Uncle Jerry's going to send that guy a check too. If I had a day off from work, I don't know if I'd get up at 5am and waste my morning down there anyway. Kudos to the guy that did it though.

Lip Man 1
02-27-2004, 01:20 PM
The question was asked, we need to come up with some ideas for national TV coverage. What can we do?

Here's a novel answer.....

TRY WINNING SOMETHING WORTH A DAMN.

Thank you.

Lip

red faber
02-28-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by OneDog
This stupid baseball getting blown up is indecent and offensive to me as a human being with at least half a functioning brain.

why didn't they just blow up alex gonzalez????????

after all that is who costed them the game!!!!!!!!!!!!

red faber
02-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by MarkPloch

What can we do?

Ideas

how about this......

win some championships!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

kittle545feet
02-29-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
We could always attack an umpire or something. That seems to be the only way the Sox get any media coverage. AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH!!!!!!! :lsox

kittle545feet
02-29-2004, 01:37 PM
i have to say, i had not heard one thing about the ball, other than its destruction, because I,too don't give a crap about that ball or that team, so far as to say, i just hope they lose. i completely agree that this sort of crap makes chicago sports fans as a whole look bad and thats why i wanted no part of it. but, for the most part, this sort of action is limited to the north side. it runs parallel to the lovable loser brand the cubs fans have embraced. another reason i wanted nothing to do with it. but when i heard about the sox fan and the sign, i smiled. i smiled because he summed up my feelings toward the whole fiasco and had the gumption to get up early and go tell the truth. its something i felt didn't need to be said but felt glad it was after the fact. i felt we as sox fans should stay as far away as possible from this crap but after hearing about the sign, i thought, if your gonna have a sign representing sox fans, could there be a better one? so i salute the mystery fan for saying to america and cubdom everywhere, GET OVER IT! i just hope the cub fans know we really don't need them at comiskey (i refuse to call it the cell) unless its to watch the sox trounce them in june. otherwise, ignore the part of the sign that says go to a sox game. i don't think we want that kind of fan at comiskey. :thankgod

Konerko05
02-29-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by red faber
why didn't they just blow up alex gonzalez????????

after all that is who costed them the game!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha, that is the same thing I told all my little cubbie fan friends.

ode to veeck
02-29-2004, 02:45 PM
should we have a tag for that pic?

Hangar18
03-01-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The question was asked, we need to come up with some ideas for national TV coverage. What can we do?

Here's a novel answer.....

TRY WINNING SOMETHING WORTH A DAMN.

Thank you.

Lip

Lip, that is the Easiest and Most Obvious answer. The Cubs DIDNT need to win and in fact, did a whole lot of losing and got MORE COVERAGE from the lazy biased media here. There are a few things we can do, and number one, is to begin wearing things, anything, that say WhiteSox. Though noone will say anything to you, Everyone notices it quietly. For everyone ONE person that is wearing the SOX cap, its understood that they represent roughly 1,000 other Fans. Kind of the same principle in which a letter to a TV Station from a viewer, actually represents about a 1,000 viewers also. START TODAY.
Ive been doing it already as an ACT OF DEFIANCE.

Lip Man 1
03-01-2004, 02:09 PM
Hangar:

You asked what has to be done, I gave you an answer. Given the current situation in Chicago and the gulf between the Cubs and Sox (caused for the most part by the Sox own stupidity, vindictiveness, cheapness and arrogance) that's the only thing in my opinion that will do the trick.

It's not the easiest answer but the correct one.

With respect since you know I appreciate your passion, doing BS things like trying to 'boycott' the media, remove Cub stickers from a bar, or wear your Sox T-shirt isn't going to do squat to change the opinion of the 'average' Chicagoan who isn't a die hard fan of either team.

The only thing that gets the Sox back into the city's consciousness is winning big (or making a run deep into the playoffs like the Cubs) or getting a new owner.

In my opinion the former is more likely then the later and even that is a very small chance.

Lip

Hangar18
03-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Hangar:

You asked what has to be done, I gave you an answer. Given the current situation in Chicago and the gulf between the Cubs and Sox (caused for the most part by the Sox own stupidity, vindictiveness, cheapness and arrogance) that's the only thing in my opinion that will do the trick.

It's not the easiest answer but the correct one.

With respect since you know I appreciate your passion, doing BS things like trying to 'boycott' the media, remove Cub stickers from a bar, or wear your Sox T-shirt isn't going to do squat to change the opinion of the 'average' Chicagoan who isn't a die hard fan of either team.

The only thing that gets the Sox back into the city's consciousness is winning big (or making a run deep into the playoffs like the Cubs) or getting a new owner.

In my opinion the former is more likely then the later and even that is a very small chance.

Lip

Ok....this is a good point. Your answer is in regards to the Ownership. They obviously dont try hard enough and we see things the way they are. My answer was in reference to what the Average Sox Fan could do to make things a bit better for us...
A Championship Trumps wearing Sox Stuff, but until then, the need is there for my suggestion

nasox
03-02-2004, 09:54 PM
nice work fungo