PDA

View Full Version : New PR department?

WSox8404
02-25-2004, 11:35 PM
Okay, okay. Before everyone says we do not want to be just like the Cubs, hear me out. I think a major problem with the Sox is their PR department. I know the Sox give away things here and there, but not too many of these things are popular. Give away things that kids will really like, such as beanie babies instead of really cheap gloves. We all know that what the Cubs are doing now, the Bartman ball, is stupid as hell. But it is doing just what they wanted it to do. Create more talk about them. More people are going to be drawn to the Cubs because of this. I mean for God's sake, JR keeps talking about low attendance. Well if you are not going to put a winner on the field, at least try to draw the fans in another way. And that way is not raising ticket prices either.

voodoochile
02-25-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by WSox8404
Okay, okay. Before everyone says we do not want to be just like the Cubs, hear me out. I think a major problem with the Sox is their PR department. I know the Sox give away things here and there, but not too many of these things are popular. Give away things that kids will really like, such as beanie babies instead of really cheap gloves. We all know that what the Cubs are doing now, the Bartman ball, is stupid as hell. But it is doing just what they wanted it to do. Create more talk about them. More people are going to be drawn to the Cubs because of this. I mean for God's sake, JR keeps talking about low attendance. Well if you are not going to put a winner on the field, at least try to draw the fans in another way. And that way is not raising ticket prices either.

:gallas
"you don't like Dog Day? What about Flying Elvis Night? Where's the love?"

:reinsy
"I love your work, Rob. I almost never have to pay rent with this guy on my side."

:hawk
"I luuuuuvvvv The Flying Elvii."

:DJ
"What did you just say?"

:gallas
"I am still trying to get this Cat Day off the ground. I just think that would rock!"

:hawk
"I luuuuvvvv Kitttens."

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-25-2004, 11:52 PM
I saw an article on mlb.com about the cubs giving away like 10 different jerseys this year. The first 20,000 to enter the gates get a scatch off card with a chance to win one of 100 jerseys. They have jerseys like a mitchell and ness maddux jersey, ernie banks jersey, 2004 authentic prior jersey etc etc. I'd love to see the White Sox do something like this. Who doesn't want to win a free $300 Mitchell and Ness Carlton Fisk jersey or a Nellie Fox jersey? Then again the white sox are the same team who hosted the all star game last year and took down all of the retired numbers so they'd never do anything like giving away the jerseys of white sox greats. Atleast they're remembered in bobblehead form. :)

maristsox
02-26-2004, 12:29 AM
heres a great Pr stunt.......Have good ol' Steve Bartman throw the first speech at all the sox-scrubs game this year.

Jerko
02-26-2004, 09:45 AM
I think the White Sox PR Department rests too much on its "laurels" for one-day events. They are SOOOOOOOOOOO proud of themselves for crap like "dog days" and "Elvis Night", and "Sleepover night" (which at least the first year they did that included 2 SOX games, last year's the Sox were in LA I think). It seems they are happy with those 3 events being successful that they don't even try anything new anymore.

StepsInSC
02-26-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by maristsox
heres a great Pr stunt.......Have good ol' Steve Bartman throw the first speech at all the sox-scrubs game this year.

Haha. If its possible for him to be hated anymore, that's what would happen.

KingXerxes
02-26-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by WSox8404

If anyone saw the news last night about the lines around Wrigley Field for people waiting for "a chance to buy tickets" - they would have to agree with the above. There had to have been a constant line of 2,000 waiting to get wrist bands for 12 hours. There is a huge pent up demand for tickets to their games, and it's sure not due to them winning year after year. Their marketing department crushes ours.

ewokpelts
02-26-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
If anyone saw the news last night about the lines around Wrigley Field for people waiting for "a chance to buy tickets" - they would have to agree with the above. There had to have been a constant line of 2,000 waiting to get wrist bands for 12 hours. There is a huge pent up demand for tickets to their games, and it's sure not due to them winning year after year. Their marketing department crushes ours.

being fivce outs away from a world series does that to ya...thier marketing dept, while good, dosent have to give stuff away this year....what the sox need to do is , aside from lowering prices, creat LOTS of family promos.....kids day every sunday, kids club cheeper, contests, and other stuff that brings excess value to your ticket.
gene

Jerko
02-26-2004, 11:49 AM
Difference between winners and losers:

Winners (Yankees): We were like, actually IN the World Series last year but we lost. Man that sucks.

Losers (Cubs) Wheeee!!!!! We were 5 outs away from the World Series last year! We're the bestest team ever!!!!

CubKilla
02-26-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
being fivce outs away from a world series does that to ya...thier marketing dept, while good, dosent have to give stuff away this year....what the sox need to do is , aside from lowering prices, creat LOTS of family promos.....kids day every sunday, kids club cheeper, contests, and other stuff that brings excess value to your ticket.
gene

I think the marketing would take care of itself in '05 if the White Sox were to win the AL Central, advance to the ACLS, and make a WS appearance.

24thStFan
02-26-2004, 01:19 PM
I agree that Sox marketing has missed some great opportunities. I was checking out MLB Gameday Audio last week and was shocked to find out that the Sox do not have a Spanish language radio station available through this package. But there must be some Spanish language station in Chicago broadcasting Sox games--right?

We have Loaiza who is definitely the most popular MLB ballplayer in Mexico right now, Magglio, Ozzie, and other Hispanic players. The Sox should rule the Spanish speaking audience in Chicago.

And then there's the Japanese connection with Shingo. Our marketing guys really need to make some hay with these international players. I think it could be a significant source of revenue for the team.

WSox8404
02-26-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by 24thStFan
I agree that Sox marketing has missed some great opportunities. I was checking out MLB Gameday Audio last week and was shocked to find out that the Sox do not have a Spanish language radio station available through this package. But there must be some Spanish language station in Chicago broadcasting Sox games--right?

We have Loaiza who is definitely the most popular MLB ballplayer in Mexico right now, Magglio, Ozzie, and other Hispanic players. The Sox should rule the Spanish speaking audience in Chicago.

And then there's the Japanese connection with Shingo. Our marketing guys really need to make some hay with these international players. I think it could be a significant source of revenue for the team.

Great point. If we try to make more fans come to the ballpark, we should start with trying to get more hispanics and asians there. There are plenty of each group in the city, and if we try to get them to attend more games, we could hit a goldmine. Look at how Asians adore other players such as Matsui, Nomo, and Kaz. If we can do that I think that would be a start But again, it all comes down to our PR department. And that sux.

24thStFan
02-26-2004, 03:23 PM
You're right. The marketing of our international players is an area were we could get an upper hand on that other team in Chicago. This seems so obvious--why don't the Sox PR people get it? :?:

ode to veeck
02-26-2004, 05:31 PM
24th St Fan,

Welcome to WSI!

Great idea on a spanish radio broadcast of Sox games. Thats an obvious opportunity, surprized its not done already.

SoxEd
02-26-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by 24thStFan
You're right. The marketing of our international players is an area were we could get an upper hand on that other team in Chicago. This seems so obvious--why don't the Sox PR people get it? :?:

Call me a nasty old cynic if you will, but wouldn't it cost the owners a few $$ to do that?

24thStFan
02-26-2004, 05:40 PM
You gotta spend money to make money. Of course, the Sox don't get that either. :)

Lip Man 1
02-26-2004, 05:42 PM
In the 80's Sox games were broadcast by Jamie Diaz and Chico Carrasquel.

I don't know why they stopped doing it.

Probably cost the organization to much money!

Lip

sas1974
02-26-2004, 05:54 PM
create LOTS of family promos.....kids day every sunday, kids club cheeper, contests, and other stuff that brings excess value to your ticket.
gene

I hate to say it, but I would guess that the families are not where the Cubbies are making the majority of their money. It's the college kids, corporate guys and people looking for a way to start their nights out. They are making tons off of the beer-guzzling crowd. Instead of a family of four where mom and dad get a beer or two and the kids get a soda and some food. They would rather four guys there knocking down 8 beers a piece along w/ some dogs and nachos.

ewokpelts
02-27-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
I hate to say it, but I would guess that the families are not where the Cubbies are making the majority of their money. It's the college kids, corporate guys and people looking for a way to start their nights out. They are making tons off of the beer-guzzling crowd. Instead of a family of four where mom and dad get a beer or two and the kids get a soda and some food. They would rather four guys there knocking down 8 beers a piece along w/ some dogs and nachos.

i was talking about the sox......and...fyi...you'd be suprised how many kids are at wrigley per game......
Gene

sas1974
02-27-2004, 12:23 AM
i was talking about the sox......and...fyi...you'd be suprised how many kids are at wrigley per game......
Gene

Someone has to drive mom and dad home! :D:

But seriously, I know there's a fair share of little guys at the Cubs game, but I would imagine that beer sales are their bread and butter. I would imagine the same would hold true for most stadiums.

AMestan
02-27-2004, 12:50 AM
Everyone knows the PR department is terrible. Forbes ranked the Sox PR & Marketing Dept. the worst in MLB. However, if they give away Beenie Babies and have purple dinosaur's and other losers sing take me out to the ball game I'll give up my season tickets. By the way, the gloves they give the kids are good gloves. The last thing that the majority of Sox fans don't want is anything that resembles what they do in the Lakeview. What's next bringing that loser Stephan back to lead us in top 40 songs, or the stupid tug of war? We already have enough corny sound effects going on. The dumbing down of America belongs only at one place and thats Wrigley Field. The Marketing Dept and PR still don't know who there core fans are and why they lost them over the last ten years. Well, correct that, they know why they lost a lot of their fan base they'll just never admit it. The biggest thing they could have done was keep either, Colon, Alomar or Everett and get a A or A- free agent. That alone would have grew last years base which had increased due to the All Star game. I respect all opinions on this board, however, the bull**** we just went through (including Chicagoans who could careless about baseball) with the stupid bartman baseball should make everyone realize that by doing anything they do on the other side of town (except spend money or put a couple of bars across the street) is stupid and laughable.

ewokpelts
02-27-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
Someone has to drive mom and dad home! :D:

But seriously, I know there's a fair share of little guys at the Cubs game, but I would imagine that beer sales are their bread and butter. I would imagine the same would hold true for most stadiums.

in the words of Yogurt, the Schwartz master: "Merchandising! Merchandising!"

red faber
02-28-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by AMestan
Everyone knows the PR department is terrible. Forbes ranked the Sox PR & Marketing Dept. the worst in MLB. However, if they give away Beenie Babies and have purple dinosaur's and other losers sing take me out to the ball game I'll give up my season tickets. By the way, the gloves they give the kids are good gloves. The last thing that the majority of Sox fans don't want is anything that resembles what they do in the Lakeview. What's next bringing that loser Stephan back to lead us in top 40 songs, or the stupid tug of war? We already have enough corny sound effects going on. The dumbing down of America belongs only at one place and thats Wrigley Field. The Marketing Dept and PR still don't know who there core fans are and why they lost them over the last ten years. Well, correct that, they know why they lost a lot of their fan base they'll just never admit it. The biggest thing they could have done was keep either, Colon, Alomar or Everett and get a A or A- free agent. That alone would have grew last years base which had increased due to the All Star game. I respect all opinions on this board, however, the bull**** we just went through (including Chicagoans who could careless about baseball) with the stupid bartman baseball should make everyone realize that by doing anything they do on the other side of town (except spend money or put a couple of bars across the street) is stupid and laughable.

that's exactly right!!!!

when we have to resort to emulating the bandwagonish things that those morons on the other side of town do,we are in big trouble.

and what ever hapened to that novel concept of winning,to get people to come out to the ballpark more often???????

Lip Man 1
02-29-2004, 03:12 AM
Here's one thing they can do. I don't know how long it's been since they did this...have a White Sox Old Timer's Game.

I remember in the 60's and 70's they used to have these before a regularly scheduled game. They were like two or three innings but it gave fans a chance to see players like Nellie Fox back in a Sox uniform.

It would be a way to link with the Sox history. (I don't count the made for TV softball game they had last year as part of the All Star contest because the teams weren't solely composed of former Sox players against a team of say ex- Yankees and the 'celebrities' were folks the majority of people in my age group (40's) never heard of.

I'm talking about bringing back the Dick Allen's, Ed Herrmann's, Bucky Dent's, Louie Aparicio's etc... even if they just make an appearence on the field.

Just a thought.

Lip