PDA

View Full Version : Bartman Ball

Jjav829
02-25-2004, 09:20 PM
Seriously, is this not the most ridiculous, insane, completely useless thing you have ever seen? I mean, I'm using all my might to keep from slamming my head into the computer. Fox just had a piece with all this stupid crap including asking some dumbass if destroying the ball would change the Cubs luck. Her stupid ass response "No, but it might help." Well make up your damn mind! Either you are a stupid piece of crap whole believes that a freaking ball is going to reverse your pathetic losing tradition, or you are a stupid piece of crap who doesn't believe destroying the ball will do anything. Either way, use your incompetent brain to make a decision on how you feel.

I swear, this might be the most absurd thing I have ever seen. They "fed" the ball a steak and lobster dinner. They had some dumbass talking to the baseball and welcoming it to the hotel. They have the damn thing sitting on a pillow and all these morons talking about how they feel about the ball being destroyed. Someone help me here! I don't know that I'm gonna be able to go through tomorrow listening to this crap without hitting myself with something.

Jerko
02-25-2004, 09:23 PM
It was the LEAD story on WGN news of course. I feel like pulling my eyeballs out one at a time and shoving them about 39 feet into each ear canal so I don't have to see or hear anymore about this thing. (even though I just typed about it!) Good grief.

Jerry_Manuel
02-25-2004, 09:27 PM
I think it just makes the city look like trash.

JC456
02-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
I think it just makes the city look like trash.

I don't even understand what they're trying to prove with this. If they feel the ball is cursed and destroying it removes the curse, then they should destroy a goat and what ever other supersticious item they feel threatens their success.

Damn-it be consistent.

WSox8404
02-25-2004, 10:17 PM
And people from other states wonder why Sox fans don't cheer for the Cubs and vice-versa. It's crap like this that makes me wanna puke. How many Sox fans would go to something like this if the Sox had a ball like this. My guess would be about 10. I am such a die hard Sox fan but I would never go to something like this. Being a Cub fan is like being in a cult. Once you are in you are stuck on stupid.

hellenicsoxfan
02-25-2004, 10:40 PM
The Scum-Times had 3 full pages about the ball in today's edition. I think I heard that they will have a special pullout section about the ball tomorrow. If they do I will be destroying my newspaper tomorrow. Not sure yet if I will be burning, shredding or flushing.

It's not just Chicago that has been infected by the disease. Katie Couric and the Today show will be in Chicago tomorrow and will announce on the air how the ball will be destroyed. MSNBC and ESPN will be airing the destruction live. You can be sure that Sportscenter will lead off with the destruction. The local and national media are being run be idiots and the lunacy can not be stopped. They're pitiful.

kittle42
02-25-2004, 10:48 PM
Outsiders' view: "Oh, those cute, loveable, cursed Cubbies. Look at them them with that ball. How funny! No wonder all of Chicago loves the Cubs!"

SoxxoS
02-25-2004, 11:19 PM
I hate the Cubs.

doublem23
02-26-2004, 03:07 AM
They are damaged people.

SSN721
02-26-2004, 05:51 AM
And a really bad thing about this too is all the positive national media attention this is garnering. It was talked about on all the national ESPN shows yesterday and now on Mike and Mike they are doing whole sections of the show deciding what they would personally like to blow up, things they hated in their lives. ANd the worst thing at all, I have a feeling it isnt gonna help traffic getting home tonight with all the schmucks that are gonna want to go witness it two blocks from my apartment. I'm sure my road rage will be palpable when I get to my street, hope I dont commit any hit and runs on stupid cubs fans. :angry:

Fisk Fan
02-26-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I hate the Cubs.

Amen!

Fisk Fan
02-26-2004, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
I swear, this might be the most absurd thing I have ever seen. They "fed" the ball a steak and lobster dinner.

What a complete circus....I can't remember the last time I ate steak and lobster!

BeerHandle
02-26-2004, 07:27 AM
Don't forget about the "Today Show" this morning and the event will be aired on MSNBC.

Iguana775
02-26-2004, 07:45 AM
yes, it's ghey.

cubhater
02-26-2004, 07:47 AM
I suggest Sox fans hold a candle light vigil across from Caray's, holding 'cruel and unsual punishment' and 'save the ball' signs.

After the so-called execution, I'd love to see a holy goat figure appear over the restaurant and exclaim, 'You can't kill the curse! The goat lives! Baaaaaaaaaaaa!" And then takes a big dump on the place and Cub fans.

Fisk Fan
02-26-2004, 07:59 AM
Maybe someone can rent a goat costume and walk around in front of the place......... Any volunteers?

Fungo
02-26-2004, 08:29 AM
I hope something seriously goes wrong and the ball somehow survives whatever tourture they thrust upon it, sending all the idiots into a mass hysteria and begin to think their season is doomed. I have friends who are cub fans and they are all talking about playoff tickets. I can't help but laugh to myself.

Of course, if the ball does somehow survive, White Sox fans are sure to be blamed.

Hangar18
02-26-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by JC456
I don't even understand what they're trying to prove with this. If they feel the ball is cursed and destroying it removes the curse, ...........

Thats the funny thing. These people are So Stupid,
to think that it was this ONE BALL. IT WASNT. I waited to
see if the ball would order drinks too.....but it didnt.
What a Load of BS and yes, makes Chicago Look so damn stupid

cheeses_h_rice
02-26-2004, 09:15 AM
My 2 cents: **** the Cubs and **** their stupid fans.

Jerko
02-26-2004, 09:16 AM
I wonder what happened to the ball that Gonzalez misplayed after the Bartman fiasco? Don't tell any Cub fans that that ball is still "alive" or we may have to go through this crap all over again!

kraut83
02-26-2004, 09:31 AM
I was even subjected to this crap listening to the national news on the way to work today. The ball sleeping overnight on a pillow, eating lobster, getting a massage, being read its last rights. Don't these tea bags have anything better to do??? And of course: "All of Chicago is anxiously awaiting the ball's destruction." Is there nowhere to escape from cubbiedom?

Jerko
02-26-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
What a complete circus....I can't remember the last time I ate steak and lobster!

There's probably 15 bums in the alley behind Harry Carays that would kill for steak and lobster.

SoxxoS
02-26-2004, 09:42 AM
Can we all get some money together and see if we can buy this ball? I mean, everything has a price. Would Harry Carey's say no for a nice little check of 1 jillion dollars?

alohafri
02-26-2004, 09:47 AM
These idiots will all be saying, "I don't understand why we didn't make the playoffs. We destroyed the ball," come October.

Maybe Gonzalez should be sacrificed as well. What about Mark Prior? Didn't he let it get to him and give up a bunch of runs? Burn him at the stake too.

This is why my father says...

Rocky Soprano
02-26-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
My 2 cents: **** the Cubs and **** their stupid fans.

Amen to that!

soxrme
02-26-2004, 09:55 AM
Mr. cub fan Barry Rozner had one word for it: STUPID!

Dick Allen
02-26-2004, 11:31 AM
It's absolutely amazing how such a large group of people can be collectively so stupid.

Iwritecode
02-26-2004, 12:10 PM
A couple of the guys at the Cubune almost get it. A few good quotes came out of the articles too.

Yet there is a real curse by a White Sox fan that mysteriously compelled Bartman to reach for that foul ball. It is the Kassian Curse, and I'll consider removing this evil hex only if the Cubs trade Mark Prior to the Sox for some Harry Chappas memorabilia.

Several fans forgot the game situation (they're Cubs fans) and reached for the ball. Bartman was the unlucky fellow who actually touched it, deflecting it away from the waiting, outstretched glove of Cubs outfielder Moises Alou.

Since they're the Cubs, the inevitable happened. The pitcher threw fat pitches, the fielders couldn't field, the manager couldn't manage and the Cubs choked in Game 6 and then again in Game 7.

Bartman was blamed, since blaming the actual Cubs was more difficult than believing in a curse.

John Kass, white Sox fan, says give the ball back to Bartman. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-0402260152feb26,1,4155128.column?coll=cs-cubs-headlines)

To have it destroyed, for nothing more than the public's amusement? How barbaric.

I cannot condone this senseless act of violence and destruction.

Look at yourselves. Shame on you. This ball is absolutely, 100 percent not guilty. Set it free.

Mike Downey says set the ball free (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-040225downeycolumn,1,2909212.column?coll=cs-cubs-utility)

chisoxmike
02-26-2004, 12:32 PM
People need to find lives!!!!!!! This is just another excuse for Cubs fans to gather and get blasted and bitch how much bad luck they have.

If they want to blow a ball up, they should blow up the one Alex Gongeldsghlkjasdgh (whatever) bobbled at SS. THAT LOST THE GAME! Or how about the ball the Prior pitched ball 4 on.

If this happend to the Sox, people would be looking down on this.

Its good to see CNN, and MSNBC have their pirorites straight too.

DrCrawdad
02-26-2004, 12:47 PM
I haven't been following today's Bartman Ball Bull (Feces), but I've been listening to THE SCORE Boers & Bernstein show. Today Brian Hanley (sp?) is sitting in for Boers. Anyway, a caller tried to turn it on the Sox with a, 'Can you imagine what would have happened had a Bartman guy did this to the Sox...' then the caller stated that Sox fans would have killed Bartman. Grobber has made similar accusations.

This much is a fact, Bartman was harassed and he narrowly avoided getting beat-up while with Cub security. Bartman received several death threats.

Cubbie fans and defenders can speculate and try to shift the argument to the Sox all they want. The fact of the matter is that this happened at The Shrine, it is pure speculation about how Sox fans might respond.

I found Brian Hanley's response to the caller very fantastic. Hanley said that if this happened at The Cell it would just be more fodder for those who pile on all things Sox.

CubKilla
02-26-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I found Brian Hanley's response to the caller very fantastic. Hanley said that if this happened at The Cell it would just be more fodder for those who pile on all things Sox.

Way to go Hanley

DrCrawdad
02-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Way to go Hanley

You're right.

The fodder Hanley referred to? All Sox fans are thugs...That's just the way they are on the SouthSide...

CubKilla
02-26-2004, 01:04 PM
I haven't been following today's Bartman Ball Bull (Feces), but I've been listening to THE SCORE Boers & Bernstein show. Today Brian Hanley (sp?) is sitting in for Boers. Anyway, a caller tried to turn it on the Sox with a, 'Can you imagine what would have happened had a Bartman guy did this to the Sox...' then the caller stated that Sox fans would have killed Bartman. Grobber has made similar accusations.

This much is a fact, Bartman was harassed and he narrowly avoided getting beat-up while with Cub security. Bartman received several death threats.

Cubbie fans and defenders can speculate and try to shift the argument to the Sox all they want. The fact of the matter is that this happened at The Shrine, it is pure speculation about how Sox fans might respond.

I still remember the last season the Yankees won the WS. It occurred in NY..... a pop-foul to the 3rd baseline..... Jeter running balls-out towards the 3rd base fan foul wall, and the NY fans parted like the Red Sea so that Jeter could make the catch, a row and a half into the stands, where he flipped into the seating area holding onto the ball.

Fact of the matter is, Grobstein and every other Sox fan basher alive has no idea how a Sox fan would react in the same situation..... before or after. Cub Nation could only hope Sox fans act like uncivilized, drunk savages if a "Bartman" revealed himself at a HUGE Sox game. I can only speak for myself, but if I was in the 1st row, during a Sox playoff game, and Crede or Valentin had a chance to make the play if I moved, I'm moving and pushing everyone else in my way with me. If it's vice versa, I'm standing my ground and will attempt a Bartman-esque tip or flat out will try to catch the ball.

DrCrawdad
02-26-2004, 01:59 PM

OOPS! MY MISTAKE.

The guest host on with Bernstein is Mike Mulligan, not Hanley.

Tekijawa
02-26-2004, 03:27 PM
ANyone want to help me collect the pieces and glue the @#&$^%@ thing back together again? I'd be willing to miss up to three weeks of work....

Of all the Slow news days why today?

cubhater
02-26-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
ANyone want to help me collect the pieces and glue the @#&$^%@ thing back together again? I'd be willing to miss up to three weeks of work....

Of all the Slow news days why today?

I volunteer!

emaholic
02-26-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by hellenicsoxfan
The Scum-Times had 3 full pages about the ball in today's edition. I think I heard that they will have a special pullout section about the ball tomorrow. If they do I will be destroying my newspaper tomorrow. Not sure yet if I will be burning, shredding or flushing.

Blow it up. :D:

SoxFan76
02-26-2004, 07:34 PM
It just happened. It's a sad day in Chicago sports history.

SoxFan78
02-26-2004, 07:42 PM
I watched on CLTV, and you would believe there was truly a hex on the Cubs. What happened to common sense? This is a sad day in Chicago history. And I love when all the media says CHICAGO has been waiting for this. Maybe half of Chicago, the other half doesn't give a crap. Too bad they had to ruin a great event that is the Toast to Harry Carry.

greenpeach
02-26-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by JC456
I don't even understand what they're trying to prove with this. If they feel the ball is cursed and destroying it removes the curse, then they should destroy a goat and what ever other supersticious item they feel threatens their success.

Damn-it be consistent.

Maybe they should've started lifting the curse by blowing up that concrete urinal on the northside which they inhabit. But then again, where would all of those "Children of WGN" go on those sunny Summer days to get stinking drunk ?? :smile:

Blueprint1
02-26-2004, 07:47 PM
I hope i dont have to read about anything this stupid for a long time after this.

cubhater
02-26-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76

Too bad the explosion didn't shatter the glass case and injure dozens of knuckleheaded Flub fans who showed up. Then they could sue Carays for millions to counter all the profits and free publicity they got.

Let's not forget....the Curse of the Goat still lives. Destruction of the ball will NOT remove the curse. The Goat has something else up his sleeve!

hsnterprize
02-26-2004, 07:50 PM

Yes Sox fans...let's tale a moment and reflect on what was a great baseball. At 7:32 Central Standard Time, explosives set inside and outside this baseball were activated, and what once was a part of Chicagoan folklore is now no more than a bundle of burnt string, leather, and rubber. I'll give MSNBC's Keith Olberman credit for making this a funny presentation...his buddy, Jim Warren of the Tribune said in the "post-destruction show" that (and I'm paraphrasing here) now there are no more excuses...however, because of the reputation of the Cubs' fascination with curses and such...if the Tribune-ladened Cubs don't at least make it to the World Series after spending all the money did to get the pitching they now have, people might start blaming him for the loss. Olberman said in reply..."I used to work for the Tribune Company...live with it."

So we'll be subject to a bunch of multi-angle shots of what really was an uneventful explosion. After the operator pulled the switch, a few sparks flew outside a clear, bullet-proof case. The ball jumped once or twice, and then...ZAP...something out of a old Buck Rogers TV episode. Once the lights inside the case went out, there was nothing more than a pile of string sitting inside this case.

And to think...this cost someone $113K+. Talk about money being blown away. With his cash, he probably would've been able to bring Pudge Rodriguez to the Cubs.

hsnterprize
02-26-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
I hope i dont have to read about anything this stupid for a long time after this. Don't buy tomorrow's paper. You've been warned.

SoxFan76
02-26-2004, 07:55 PM
We get the Trib everyday, and I will remember your warning. But you and I know most of us won't be able to resist no matter how sickening it is.

MRKARNO
02-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Don't forget about the "Today Show" this morning and the event will be aired on MSNBC.

Just a note, the Today show wasn't here because of the Bartman ball. It was going to be here because of the studio 5 opening in December. I'm sure that it was no coincidence that the Harry Carry people scheduled the ball's destruction on a day in which a big national media show was making a special stop here

TommyJohn
02-26-2004, 10:49 PM

Nice to know I'm about a month and a half ahead of a member
of the media.

www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=28034&s=&perpage=15&pagenumber=1&display=show

sas1974
02-26-2004, 11:15 PM
I almost hate to bring this up, but I pray that the Flubs DO NOT make it to the series or we will NEVER hear the end of this stupid story. If they blow it again this year or fail to make it closer than last year, we can all have another good laugh at these losers. No "cursed ball" and STILL no WS ring!!

Lip Man 1
02-26-2004, 11:52 PM
The Bartman Ball is one of the most stupid, inane and imbecilic things I have ever seen.

That being said you have to give the Cubs marketing / PR dept. and the owner of Harry Caray kudos for turning the object of one of the most complete choke jobs in MLB history into something that generated scores of name recognition and publicity for that franchise (and bar)

Now that's a marketing department!

Of course it would only work with the goofball Cub fans. If the Yankees, Red Sox, White Sox or Cardinals tried something like that, to make 'fun' in a sense out of a huge collapse, their fans would go out and string those responsible up from the nearest tree.

Lip

ihatethecubs
02-27-2004, 01:39 AM
Paying money to give a baseball a night's stay in a hotel, a lobster dinner, and a massage (cub fans do love to massage balls) shows just how out of touch these people are. I felt like it was last october again this past week, with inescapable cubs coverage everywhere i turn. I couldn't even listen to the loop, they were doing a remote at harry carays! this is getting more out of hand than ever.

Mo308oM
02-27-2004, 03:33 AM
this was the most ridiculous event ever. i thought that cubs fans were as terrible as they can get and then they come up with this crap. they sunk to a new low.

my brother a die hard cubs fan is ashamed of this..... he threw on an old 83 sox throwback.. put on the matching cap and told me that if he had money....me and him would go to wrigleyvill in our sox gear and mock the cubbie fans......

welcome my dear brother to south side. he wore the sox gear proudly out to dinner last night, as all 6 of us sat down for the 1st time as a full sox family.

Bobby Thigpen
02-27-2004, 07:48 AM
The thing that pissed me off the most was Harold Ramis leading their idiot fans in a rendition of NANANA... HEY HEY GOODBYE after they blew up the ball. My guess is that this will become another of the Cubs' time honored traditions that they originated. Kind of like Harry singing take me out to the ball game. We all know he invented that idea at Wrigley. :smile:

SoxFan76
02-27-2004, 08:40 AM
In response to what Sox fans would do in the same situation:

If C Lee had a ball stolen away from Steve Bartman, and Jose Valentin dropped a routine DP ball shortly after that, I can guarantee Valentin would be run out of Chicago and recieving death threats, not Mr. Bartman. And the ball would not be blown up. It would be sold on EBay and never be heard from again.

DrCrawdad
02-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
The thing that pissed me off the most was Harold Ramis leading their idiot fans in a rendition of NANANA... HEY HEY GOODBYE after they blew up the ball. My guess is that this will become another of the Cubs' time honored traditions that they originated. Kind of like Harry singing take me out to the ball game. We all know he invented that idea at Wrigley. :smile:

No doubt Harry Reemis and most of the other Cubbie fans there have absolutely no clue that that song is associated with the Sox and has been for 28 years!

irish rover
02-27-2004, 09:03 AM
you guys may have post something similar before,(sorry have been around lately work and all) but to add to ingnorance and embarrassment to the situation

The BoSox also have an alleged curse right? did they do anything this insane with the "Buckner Ball"

Fungo
02-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Face it folks, God himself dropped what he was doing last night to see the "curse" come to an end. Afterall, it is the cubs.

Lip Man 1
02-27-2004, 12:28 PM
John Kass has a very funny column in the Tribune today mocking the whole Bartman Ball and warning Cub fans that singing the Sox song has just tripled their "curse..."

Also Steve Rosenbloom in his column today takes on the folks that he says is 'turning Chicago into Hootersville.'

Both are well worth reading.

Lip

maurice
02-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Cub-Times ball-related headline: "Our long national nightmare."

***?!?

StillMissOzzie
02-28-2004, 12:55 AM
I'm just gonna bide my time, wondering who or what the Scrub fans will blame next WHEN they don't win the WS.

"What - we blew up the ball! It's as good as ours" - MORONS!!!

SMO
:gulp:

DrCrawdad
02-28-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
John Kass has a very funny column in the Tribune today mocking the whole Bartman Ball and warning Cub fans that singing the Sox song has just tripled their "curse..."

Also Steve Rosenbloom in his column today takes on the folks that he says is 'turning Chicago into Hootersville.'

Both are well worth reading.

Lip

Last night WGN's David Kaplan was talking about the Bartman Ball (stuff). Kaplan said that he couldn't believe that they sang, "Kiss It Goodbye..." since that is a Sox song. Kaplan, who sounded very embarassed by the Bartman Ball (stuff), said that Sox fans should make fun of Cubbie fans for using a Sox song in the Bartman (stuff).