PDA

View Full Version : my sox faith

nasox
02-25-2004, 05:51 PM
I just can't fathom how much press this ball has received, or rather, the destroying of the ball. The fact that they are going to broadcast the destruction of the ball nationwide on NATIONAL TV, that MSN and ESPN are going to pick it up, that The Today Show is going to broadcast from NBC studios in town because of the event, and that Gov. Blagojevich is going to be their. At least they are using the publicity for a good cause, to raise money for juvenile diabetes. The extravagance and the size of the event is mind-boggling, and I can't help but think that the MLB is just pushing the publicity, silently riding a hope that if the Cubs go far again into the post-season, their will be record ratings for TV.
And Hangar's count of the Chicago News Media just makes a personally sad day even sadder. I know the Cubs are owned by media moguls of the town, but we haven't won in almost as many years as them. It just makes me question my very existence as a Sox fan.
As a 15-year-old teenage boy, it makes my understanding of why some people or things get the support of everyone while there is everybody else who appears to have nobody rooting for him, the ages old underdog status. I guess asking a question like, "Why is there an underdog and a favorite? What causes that," is akin to asking "What was first? Chicken or Egg?" Maybe it can be written off as an unwritten law of life and society. I certainly lack an understanding of this. All I can say about myself is that I am confused.
Maybe it is just pure coincidence that the favorite Cubs are seen as the Yuppie, White-Collar, rich team, while the underdog Sox are seen as the Blue-Collar, forgotten so-called "poor" team. However, in my mind, I see it as pure irony at its best, a deep sad irony.
Perhaps this is why so many of us hate the Cubs, because we are jealous of their popularity, of their status, and of the perceived richness of their fans. Outwardly we may deny this, but to me at least, it seems that at least a few of us feel this way, consciously or subconsciously.
I know the response I'll get from a few of you guys, that the nature of our existence is because of morons like the Reinsdorf ownership, and the biased nature of the Chicago media, with guys like Mariotti. But in my mind, I can't let myself believe that just a few people have screwed us and our team over. Or maybe you will say they have Wrigley, they have the North Side, they have the love, but where did that love emerge from? Everything has a source.
Write me off as an immature 15 year old teenage, but my feelings are still true.
I wonder, if we were in the exact same position as the Cubs were with the Bartman fiasco, what would we do? If we replaced the Cubs with us but kept the scenario exactly the same, how would our team, our fans, management, the media local and nationwide, the city and ultimately the country react?
I myself am not very sure how we would react. I'm sure the biggest cynics out their, which is a pretty large number of Sox fans, would say nobody would care if it happened to us. I think we would get a little less (20%?) publicity but I guess the impact would stay.
Who knows? For now I remain a very sad White Sox fan.

Palehose13
02-25-2004, 06:04 PM
Wow. That post was definitely not the ramblings of an immature 15 year old. Very impressive.

Keep your head up and odn't let the cubs bother you. There was a itme, not so long ago, that Chicago was a Sox town. IMHO, in order for us to take the town back we have to win the world series before them and they need to continue their historic losing ways. It may also help to put some nightlife around the the Cell*.

*not sure if that should be in teal or pink.

pudge
02-25-2004, 06:06 PM
I don't really get your sadness. If you want a history lesson on why the Cubs soared in popularity in the '80s, mostly due to WGN, Harry Carey, etc., then you can probably find plenty of threads, articles, etc. on this very website. Or I'm sure there are some books on the subject.

I don't understand why it matters. If the "Bartman" thing happened with the Sox, it would have been a minor local story and it would have died off in a matter of days. But that's because we're not the Cubs, and thank goodness for that. The attitude toward the Sox is just "normal" - we're a team with a decent local fanbase, just like any other normal team besides the Yanks, Red Sox, or Cubs.

If you're wondering why the roles aren't reversed, the emergence of the Northside as an affluent area guarantees the Sox never would have reached this kind of popularity, even if Reinsdorf ran the team perfectly. That's not to excuse JR's mistakes, he's certainly hurt the Sox standing within the city.

HansMoleman
02-25-2004, 09:53 PM
kudos on that remark. exactly the point. it doesn't matter.

that doesn't mean you can't hate the cubs...god know i do.