PDA

View Full Version : The **** is flying: Turk Wendell says Bonds "obviously" used steroids

cheeses_h_rice
02-25-2004, 04:17 PM
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4373993/

This could get interesting, if non-roid users start to call out the 'roidheads...

:nandrolone

who you loo'in' a'?

Kittle
02-25-2004, 04:22 PM
Wendell may be proven right in the end, but that's an incredibly stupid thing to say to the media.

Do these two have a nasty history or something?

pearso66
02-25-2004, 05:41 PM
I wonder if something happened back when they were both on the Cubs. or maybe Wendell really does know, which would stem back to when he was on the Cubs of course.

Jjav829
02-25-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
I wonder if something happened back when they were both on the Cubs. or maybe Wendell really does know, which would stem back to when he was on the Cubs of course.

I think you missed what the article was about when you saw the Sosa picture. He called out Bonds, not Sosa.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/nandrolone.jpg
"Yeah that's right. Barry Bone is on the roids. I only take Flinstones vitamins."

pearso66
02-25-2004, 05:58 PM
You are right, I actually just noticed the topic. The sammy picture did throw me off. Once again, I pay attention very well

santo=dorf
02-25-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Kittle
Wendell may be proven right in the end, but that's an incredibly stupid thing to say to the media.

Do these two have a nasty history or something?

I believe Barry once sat on Turk's tube of toothpaste in the dugout.

SSN721
02-26-2004, 08:01 AM
Although I dont rule out the possibility he is right, I felt it was a highly irresponsible thing to say to the media. From his quote you would have though he had test results on Bonds he was so definate. I think his "proof" was quite questionable and I just think it was an all around stupid thing to say.

Fungo
02-26-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
Although I dont rule out the possibility he is right, I felt it was a highly irresponsible thing to say to the media. From his quote you would have though he had test results on Bonds he was so definate. I think his "proof" was quite questionable and I just think it was an all around stupid thing to say.
Agreed, Wendell should have never said it. Have your thoughts, but keep them to yourself, especially since you are in the same union. Bonds reaction did however, seem like a case of 'roid rage.

soxfan26
02-26-2004, 08:27 AM
Wendell should be worrying about playing baseball. MLB needs to resolve the steroid issue ASAP. I for one am tired of hearing all the speculation about who looks lighter this spring and who is juiced, etc. I would hate to see the 2004 season overshadowed by this nonsense.

KingXerxes
02-26-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Fungo
Bonds reaction did however, seem like a case of 'roid rage.

Has anybody else noticed that all the reactions that players are giving have nothing to do with the questions they are being asked? It's early in spring training, and it's already getting sickening.

Wendell says something about Bonds, and how does Bonds respond? He doesn't deny taking steroids, he simply starts yelling about Wendell saying something to the media.

Sheffield keeps claiming that he's clean, but his hands are tied relative to any test taking due to his union.

Giambi clearly comes in less bulked up - but keeps talking about his weight only going down four pounds, all the while (I imagine) hiding every scale in the locker room lest somebody make him prove it.

Just admit the obvious and let's move on. This quasi-nondenial cover up is sickening. It's up to the players on this one, and I don't like the way we're starting off.

mantis1212
02-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Agreed, Wendell should have never said it. Have your thoughts, but keep them to yourself, especially since you are in the same union. Bonds reaction did however, seem like a case of 'roid rage.

I think Bonds' reaction was completely justified. I'd be thinking "Who is this f*****' guy??" Especially if I was clean...

faneidde
02-26-2004, 10:15 AM
This was a gutless move by Wendel. It's like someone accusing you of cheating because you did well on a test. Its one thing for a guy to say that Bonds looks like he's been taking or to challenge him to take a test. Its a totally different animal to say that its obvious he's taking roids. I'd watch out the first time Wendel faces Bonds.

Jerko
02-26-2004, 10:30 AM
I have no proof of who is doing what, but as KingXerxes mentioned, I AM getting sick of these "hard guys" that are "volunteering" to take steroid tests when they know damn well the union will NOT LET THEM! I'm sure some people are looking at Sheffield as a stand-up guy now for being bold and saying he would take a test, but until I see it happen and it comes back clean, without masking it and without cycling or whatever they do to beat these tests, I will look at them as guilty until proven innocent. I'm sorry but NONE of these players that are being accused are acting like innocent men. Aren't steroids ILLEGAL! Since when does the CBA supercede the LAWS OF THE COUNTRY??? If I were in the player's union I would ask for a murder clause, an adultery clause, and a no-alimony clause in the next CBA. This way I can screw around on my wife, have 39 kids out of wedlock, and kill all the witnesses to it, and if I missed somebody I would not have to pay anything and nothing would happen to me because the CBA of major league baseball is the most powerful document in the history of the world. What a joke. Take the damn tests like a man, Bonds. Don't be what you called Wendell and shy away from it.

Frater Perdurabo
02-26-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
I have no proof of who is doing what, but as KingXerxes mentioned, I AM getting sick of these "hard guys" that are "volunteering" to take steroid tests when they know damn well the union will NOT LET THEM!

Wait a minute.

So what would happen if a player, of his own free will, actually pissed in a cup and submitted it for a steroid test.

Would they kick him out the union? Would he be suspended from baseball? Would he be sent to jail?

*****. I wish I played pro baseball just so I could take a friggin' steroid test and stick it to the MLBPA. :angry:

Jerko
02-26-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Wait a minute.

So what would happen if a player, of his own free will, actually pissed in a cup and submitted it for a steroid test.

Would they kick him out the union? Would he be suspended from baseball? Would he be sent to jail?

*****. I wish I played pro baseball just so I could take a friggin' steroid test and stick it to the MLBPA. :angry:

ESPN actually asked Sheffield that and he backtracked and said "oh, if I take a test for THIS reporter, what's gonna stop other reporters from demanding tests from other players; I don't want to be the one who starts that". So, even if he gets "cleared" to take the test, he still feels he is betraying his union brothers and won't do it until it is mandated by the CBA, which will never happen. Pisses me off too with all this "integrity of baseball" crap and "nobody is bigger than the game" garbage I hear all the time when Pete Rose's name is mentioned. At least he never cheated ON the field.

Fungo
02-26-2004, 11:58 AM
I have no proof of who is doing what, but as KingXerxes mentioned, I AM getting sick of these "hard guys" that are "volunteering" to take steroid tests when they know damn well the union will NOT LET THEM! I'm sure some people are looking at Sheffield as a stand-up guy now for being bold and saying he would take a test, but until I see it happen and it comes back clean, without masking it and without cycling or whatever they do to beat these tests, I will look at them as guilty until proven innocent. I'm sorry but NONE of these players that are being accused are acting like innocent men. Aren't steroids ILLEGAL! Since when does the CBA supercede the LAWS OF THE COUNTRY??? If I were in the player's union I would ask for a murder clause, an adultery clause, and a no-alimony clause in the next CBA. This way I can screw around on my wife, have 39 kids out of wedlock, and kill all the witnesses to it, and if I missed somebody I would not have to pay anything and nothing would happen to me because the CBA of major league baseball is the most powerful document in the history of the world. What a joke. Take the damn tests like a man, Bonds. Don't be what you called Wendell and shy away from it.
I've always thought that. How can something be against the law, but since it is not mentioned in the CBA, it is okay for baseball players to get away with it.

Maximo
02-26-2004, 12:01 PM
ESPN actually asked Sheffield that and he backtracked and said "oh, if I take a test for THIS reporter, what's gonna stop other reporters from demanding tests from other players; I don't want to be the one who starts that". So, even if he gets "cleared" to take the test, he still feels he is betraying his union brothers and won't do it until it is mandated by the CBA, which will never happen. Pisses me off too with all this "integrity of baseball" crap and "nobody is bigger than the game" garbage I hear all the time when Pete Rose's name is mentioned. At least he never cheated ON the field.

It's that old......"I could beat the hell out of ya, if I wanted to, but my dad told me I'd get into trouble"......line of defense. Sammy says the same thing........only harder to decipher.

KingXerxes
02-26-2004, 12:19 PM
Man am I glad I'm not the only one who thinks this whole thing stinks.

IN FLORIDA:

REPORTER - Have you ever taken steroids?

PLAYER - I'll take a test now!

REPORTER - But, in the past..........

PLAYER - Look, I'm here to play baseball not talk about this, you go get a cup and I'll....................

REPORTER - Okay, here's a cup, a doctor and a..............

PLAYER - No way man, I told you I don't need this!

REPORTER - But you just said..................

PLAYER - I want to in order to clear my name, but the union......."

MEANWHILE IN ARIZONA:

REPORTER - Have you ever taken steroids?

PLAYER - I've got nothing to hide, if you had a cup right now I'd.....

REPORTER - Here! I do have a cup and the doctor is right over there.

PLAYER - Why can't you be a man? I'm not going to fight with you all season on this. I came here to play ball.

REPORTER - So you're saying now that you won't take a test?

PLAYER - I'm saying I came here to play baseball.

Sigh.

KingXerxes
02-26-2004, 12:23 PM
I've always thought that. How can something be against the law, but since it is not mentioned in the CBA, it is okay for baseball players to get away with it.

It's not okay for baseball players to get away with it, but Major League Baseball - I suspect - doesn't have the legal authority to try and enforce state and federal laws. I also strongly suspect that MLB wishes this would just go away. And it will go away, the minute somebody starts telling the truth from the player's side.

We'll get the truth eventually, but only after it appears to the MLBPA that they've exhausted every avenue of lying/stalling and diverting.

Jerko
02-26-2004, 11:36 PM
Baseball's answer to combatting steroids. Less people in the locker rooms. I guess you can't take steroids unless you're at the ball park.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7121567[/URL]