PDA

View Full Version : Turn to the Score: Frank's press conference is being played:

ChiSox14305635
02-25-2004, 03:56 PM
George Offman said it was about 12-13 minutes. FSN didn't air it, neither did CLTV or ESPNews, though ESPNews is airing more Bartman coverage. Brilliant.

ChiSox14305635
02-25-2004, 04:00 PM
Frank said he had already talked with Joey Cora before and sees no problem getting along with Ozzie.

ChiSox14305635
02-25-2004, 04:02 PM
Frank said the chemistry has been there, and he feels with Ozzie, the team will have more fun.

ChiSox14305635
02-25-2004, 04:04 PM
When asked about Sammy's quote that the Cubs were "his team", Frank said it takes the entire team to win.

He is saying all the right things! :)

Kilroy
02-25-2004, 04:09 PM
The more I hear from Tuscon, the more excited I get about this year. I've been thinking it all along, but now I feel like I can say that the Sox will surprise a few people this year. And I may just have to eat my words when I said that Ozzie is a great choice for manager, but not for this Sox team now. He may turn out to be exactly what the doctor ordered...

Mickster
02-25-2004, 04:09 PM
"I can't complain about the money I'm making"

I love the way he sounded. Sems like he still has someting to prove. If that's the case, he will have a MONSTER year. He mentioned that his average is the only thing that was down last year. Also that when he would hear the "He's washed up" comments the last 2 years, he was laughing inside knowing that he can still do it.

I'm soooo excited!

ChiSox14305635
02-25-2004, 04:11 PM
North was actually praising Frank! I still dislike him with a passion, but nice to see he gave The Big Hurt some props.

:moron

I'll never do that! Sammy, is it okay if I glorify you some more? This Big Blurt praise is making me sad. :(:

:nandrolone

Of course you can! Remember, I'm a gladiator! No one can stop me! And it's my team!

poorme
02-25-2004, 04:16 PM
thanks for the update 14305635

Tekijawa
02-25-2004, 04:16 PM
Franks obviously been away at PR School this entire off season... now if the SOX could only send their entire PR staff and hell the rest of the team, maybe we could have a pretty good organization on our hands....

Maybe it's a body double?

Or maybe he's classing it up to be more marketable to another team... I'm scared, I'm Very VERY scared!

ChiSox14305635
02-25-2004, 04:17 PM
I'm amazed that not even FSN Chicago could step up and carry the press conference. They're making it more and more evident that the media is in the Cubune's back pocket.

That's okay, though. Maybe not airing it means the Sox didn't feel it was that big of a deal, where the Cubs had to trot out Shammy like a pony and say "See: He's here. He's on board and ready to go!" Maybe the Sox knew Frank was too mature for that kind of crap.

SEALgep
02-25-2004, 04:19 PM
Who couldn't be excited about this. This is great, and Frank sounds like he is taken on the leadership role, just like I knew he would. :)

SoxFan76
02-25-2004, 04:27 PM
Oh man, I am pumped. I love it. The stupid media doesn't have a story now. I LOVE IT!!! Maybe less media coverage is a good thing. According to the papers, the Cubs have already beaten the Yankees for the World Series. The Sox will surprise everyone this year. I cannot wait for the season. Frank sounds like he is going to have a great year, and raise that average of his. The career average is getting closer and closer to below 300. I saw on ESPN Sosa only has a .278 career average.....

Tekijawa
02-25-2004, 04:28 PM
The Cubs are ODDS on favorites to make the WORLD SERIES, Frank Thomas has become a PR DREAM anyone else find this ODD? I'm worried that the end of the world may be upon us?!?!?!

Rocky Soprano
02-25-2004, 04:29 PM
This is so awesome to hear!

GO FRANK!
GO SOX!

Chisox_cali
02-25-2004, 04:41 PM
Nope the reports are all wrong!!! Frank is gonna hit him!!! There is dissention in the clubhouse!!!

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040225/capt.cra10202252059.white_sox_spring_cra102.jpg

Baby Fisk
02-25-2004, 04:55 PM
Actually, Ozzie is gnawing on his arm.

thepaulbowski
02-25-2004, 05:03 PM
Was that a first baseman's glove in his hand? :o:

Mickster
02-25-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Was that a first baseman's glove in his hand? :o:

Why not, get's the BA up when playing 1st!

daveeym
02-25-2004, 05:12 PM
Not to start the pessimissm train here but wow what a bunch of flip flops. I'm excited and think good things can happen this year and it's nice to hear frank say "all the right things" but he makes an effort every spring training to say that and then says something stupid which the media then blows out of proportion. Not trying to say Frank's faking it just saying it's amazing how the tone of the board can just flip flop so easily. Although seeing them on the field, knowing opening day is around the corner, having sun and 50 degrees plus weather rolling into town and sunlight past 5:30 is getting me psyched for the season.

Foulke You
02-25-2004, 05:17 PM
I knew this was going to be a non-story. The media now has to throw out all of the pre-written anti-Frank Thomas 2 page spreads they were planning. Expect this to get very little coverage and Frank to get very little credit for handling this well.

Deadguy
02-25-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by daveeym
Not to start the pessimissm train here but wow what a bunch of flip flops. I'm excited and think good things can happen this year and it's nice to hear frank say "all the right things" but he makes an effort every spring training to say that and then says something stupid which the media then blows out of proportion. Not trying to say Frank's faking it just saying it's amazing how the tone of the board can just flip flop so easily. Although seeing them on the field, knowing opening day is around the corner, having sun and 50 degrees plus weather rolling into town and sunlight past 5:30 is getting me psyched for the season.

Cosidering all the scenarios that could have played out, I think most people are just relieved, rather that just flip flopping. We don't need negative PR, and Thomas handled this situation well. I don't think anyone even cares at this point whether he's sincere or not, they just want him to say the right things.

Tekijawa
02-25-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I knew this was going to be a non-story. The media now has to throw out all of the pre-written anti-Frank Thomas 2 page spreads they were planning. Expect this to get very little coverage and Frank to get very little credit for handling this well.

That's great!!! I haven't gotten my fill of stories about the Cubs Rotation, Sammy breathing, or Dusty Bakers annual History lesson... Last year about how well African Americans hold up in the hot weather and this year about McCarthyisim... Maybe they should give him a time slot on the History Channel!

Mickster
02-25-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Cosidering all the scenarios that could have played out, I think most people are just relieved, rather that just flip flopping. We don't need negative PR, and Thomas handled this situation well. I don't think anyone even cares at this point whether he's sincere or not, they just want him to say the right things.

No. There really is a lot of flip-flopping! :D:

steff
02-25-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
There really is a lot of flip-flopping! :D:

Oh yes.. there sure is.. :D:

ChiSox65
02-25-2004, 05:37 PM
You have to remember that every year is a free agent year for Frank under this new contract. He has the option to leave or renew himself, so this could work out very well or we could lose him. So far so good.

34 Inch Stick
02-25-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by steff
Oh yes.. there sure is.. :D:

And that is what spring is all about. Put me down for 95 wins and a division championship! Scott Schowenwiess will win 15.

Hangar18
02-25-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
George Offman said it was about 12-13 minutes. FSN didn't air it, neither did CLTV or ESPNews, though ESPNews is airing more Bartman coverage. Brilliant.

Hmmm. If I was Chicago Media...would I pack the truck and head to Sox press conference.......or stay where I am, and just go ahead and give more Coverage to the baseball ??
ummm Im Going to be LAZY and go with More Coverage
of the bartman baseball

hsnterprize
02-25-2004, 06:11 PM
"Hmmm. If I was Chicago Media...would I pack the truck and head to Sox press conference.......or stay where I am, and just go ahead and give more Coverage to the baseball ??
ummm Im Going to be LAZY and go with More Coverage
of the bartman baseball"

It seems like the late-afternoon news shops are talking so much about that "damn ball." In fact, Ben Bradley from ABC 7 just did a story about the ball spending the day before it's "execution" in a hotel suite. Man...death row inmantes don't get this kind of treatment before they're either fried or injected. This is ridiculous.

As far as Frank is concerned, I missed the press conference, but from all accounts, it looks like this could be a season I'll love to remember from the south side. Let's face it...the Sox have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to lose here...all the hype and expectation is focused on the Cubs. The Sox can easily slip into contention under the radar as long as they play like they're on a mission to prove the world wrong in underestimating their heart and desire. They have the talent...Frank, Maggs, C-Lee, Buehrle, E-Lo, etc. Granted...our team didn't spend the big bucks like our competition did, but big payrolls don't guarantee a World Series championship.

The Sox will turn heads, and make the Cubbie-loving press look so stupid. I can't wait to rub it in their faces.

southsidegirl
02-25-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
That's great!!! I haven't gotten my fill of stories about the Cubs Rotation, Sammy breathing, or Dusty Bakers annual History lesson... Last year about how well African Americans hold up in the hot weather and this year about McCarthyisim... Maybe they should give him a time slot on the History Channel!

That post deserves a Laughing Smith.

http://www.reno.blogger.com.br/matrix_revolution_agentesmith_rindo_.jpg

Jjav829
02-25-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
It seems like the late-afternoon news shops are talking so much about that "damn ball." In fact, Ben Bradley from ABC 7 just did a story about the ball spending the day before it's "execution" in a hotel suite. Man...death row inmantes don't get this kind of treatment before they're either fried or injected. This is ridiculous.

As far as Frank is concerned, I missed the press conference, but from all accounts, it looks like this could be a season I'll love to remember from the south side. Let's face it...the Sox have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to lose here...all the hype and expectation is focused on the Cubs. The Sox can easily slip into contention under the radar as long as they play like they're on a mission to prove the world wrong in underestimating their heart and desire. They have the talent...Frank, Maggs, C-Lee, Buehrle, E-Lo, etc. Granted...our team didn't spend the big bucks like our competition did, but big payrolls don't guarantee a World Series championship.

The Sox will turn heads, and make the Cubbie-loving press look so stupid. I can't wait to rub it in their faces.

There has to be a Sox fan working somewhere in that hotel. That person needs to steal the damn ball. The Flubs fans would go nuts. It would be fun to watch. :smile:

As for Frank, everything sounds great. Seeing as how Tekijawa stole most of my lines, I don't have much else to say. Thief. :D:

I remain in support of the Ozzie hiring. How long that will last, who knows. But for now it all sounds good. BTW, maybe this was posted somewhere else, but did anyone see the Sports on Fox last night? They had a clip with Joe Crede doing an interview about the Sox chances and Koch spills water on his head. Joe responded saying something like "Let the games begin." I hope that type of stuff continues. IMO every team needs at least one guy like Koch to help keep the clubhouse loose. Let's just hope he has a better year on the mound to back it up.