PDA

View Full Version : Frank or Magglio

lowesox
02-25-2004, 03:36 PM
From all of the reports I've read this offseason, it doesn't look like the White Sox future includes both frank thomas and Magglio Ordonez. So, the question I ask is, if we are lucky enough to keep one of these guys, who would you rather it be??

SEALgep
02-25-2004, 03:40 PM
I think we will manage to keep both, but if we don't keep Maggs, I don't believe it will be because of Frank's contract. So I say keep Frank, try to sign Maggs. If he walks, then use that money for another premeire player, but only after the effort has been exhausted.

Deadguy
02-25-2004, 03:41 PM
I don't think it should have to be an either/or situation, but if I had to choose one, it'd be Magglio.

However, I don't see why the Sox can't pay both Frank and Magglio what they deserve. Frank at 8-10 mil. a year, and Mallgio at 12-14 is fair, and a smart way to build a ball club, as both have proven to be MVP calibre performers. Wasting 8 million of a reject like Konerko is our biggest problem, and something we can't afford to do with the self-imposed budget constraints.

steff
02-25-2004, 03:58 PM
Maggs appears to be talking out of both sides of his mouth...

"I want to stay, but I'm going to test the FA market... and oh.. I want Vlad $$"

I dunno if his ego will fit.

poorme
02-25-2004, 04:00 PM
Thomas

TheRockinMT
02-25-2004, 04:54 PM
If Jerry Reinsdorf really wants to put a competitive ball club on the field and go for the gold then he will keep both the Big Hurt and Magglio. That's the $1M question-does he really want to win- or is he just a Selig disciple ready to take on the player's union again like '94?

lowesox
02-25-2004, 05:10 PM
Ok, so maybe the question here should be - how many of you actually think JR keeps both of these guys around. Personally, I believe Maggs is gone after this year and Frank the year after.

It always comes down to $s with Reinsdorf and these guys aren't cheap.

MRKARNO
02-25-2004, 05:45 PM
Frank Thomas is my favorite player, no doubt about it, but it we could only keep one I'd keep Maggs solely on the fact that he's about 6 years younger.

Hangar18
02-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Why Not KEEP BOTH PLAYERS?? Its what the Good Teams
do. That is, they dont help other teams get better by Letting
their All-Stars go....THEY KEEP THEM. AND THEN THEY ADD
EVEN BETTER PLAYERS to help out. Have to say, were not like the Cubs, having players given to us, Stealing from the weak sisters, and having players "coming home" because noone else wants them (Alou, Maddux)

steff
02-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
EVEN BETTER PLAYERS to help out. Have to say, were not like the Cubs, having players given to us, Stealing from the weak sisters, and having players "coming home" because noone else wants them (Alou, Maddux)

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

akingamongstmen
02-25-2004, 06:44 PM
Frank...I love Maggs as much as anybody, but I think he's a bit overrated. His production isn't that spectacular for a RF...especially for $14 million per year. That said, I'd love it if they both could stay on the South Side.

Viva Magglio
02-25-2004, 06:46 PM
No brainer: Mágglio. Frank is older. Frank is not as hitty as Mágglio. Frank is moody. Magglio is sunshiny. Need I say more?

Huisj
02-26-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
No brainer: Mágglio. Frank is older. Frank is not as hitty as Mágglio. Frank is moody. Magglio is sunshiny. Need I say more?

yes, please explain "hitty" and "sunshiny". i don't get it

Viva Magglio
02-26-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Huisj
yes, please explain "hitty" and "sunshiny". i don't get it

"hitty" and "sunshiny": Boers & Bernstein references

SSN721
02-26-2004, 07:24 AM
Definately have to keep Maggs if there has to be a decision on either. I love Frank but he is getting older and is not as consistent as Maggs has been. I truly hope we manage to keep both, hate to part with either. :whiner:

Iwritecode
02-26-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Originally posted by steff

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Yes, it is sad... But true.

At least the first 4 sentences...

steff
02-26-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Yes, it is sad... But true.

At least the first 4 sentences...

I know.. but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to note Henry's whining.. :D:

CubKilla
02-26-2004, 01:26 PM

And there's been alot of that lately. Misplaced sanctions too.

Iwritecode
02-26-2004, 01:58 PM

I see. That is always fun isn’t it? :D:

Although maybe he’s got the right idea? “The squeaky wheel gets the grease” and all that…

:reinsy

Man, I’ve been hearing this squeaking noise for almost ten years now. If I ever get enough money to afford some grease, I’d take care of it.

Maybe I just need to get a cat…