PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Sports Writers Are the Worst, Thomas has class!

BeerHandle
02-25-2004, 02:05 PM
All off-season all we read about was how unhappy Frank Thomas was with Ozzie's comments and how he wanted to get traded. The Chcago Sports Writers were trying to create drama and a soap opera to help sell papers. These guys need to come forward and admit they suck!

Do they get paid to report the news or to speculate?

Frank Thomas shows up early to camp and carried himself with so much class. We are lucky to have kept him all these years!

Frank will be in the Hall of Fame!

hold2dibber
02-25-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
All off-season all we read about was how unhappy Frank Thomas was with Ozzie's comments and how he wanted to get traded. The Chcago Sports Writers were trying to create drama and a soap opera to help sell papers.

Not exactly the first time this has happened. It blows my mind how the media can get whipped into a frenzy, which in turns whips fans into a frenzy, over nothing but rumor and speculation. What a joke.

BeerHandle
02-25-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Not exactly the first time this has happened. It blows my mind how the media can get whipped into a frenzy, which in turns whips fans into a frenzy, over nothing but rumor and speculation. What a joke.

I concur!

Deadguy
02-25-2004, 02:28 PM
And what's the deal with those two clowns on the radio stating that Thomas "wanted out", and was demanding a trade to L.A., basing it on something that was written in Baseball Weekly/USA Today.

That was obviously a lie. Can Thomas sue these idiots for slander, or does freedom of speech protect the media in incidents like this?

maurice
02-25-2004, 02:34 PM
Typical lazy coverage. Most of the Chicago media loves to report the same crap 100 times and copy somebody else's idea without a second thought. Kudos to Frank for showing more class than KW and to Ozzie for (hopefully) getting his head on straight.

BeerHandle
02-25-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
And what's the deal with those two clowns on the radio stating that Thomas "wanted out", and was demanding a trade to L.A., basing it on something that was written in Baseball Weekly/USA Today.

That was obviously a lie. Can Thomas sue these idiots for slander, or does freedom of speech protect the media in incidents like this?

You are right! I forgot to mention the radio/tv reporters. It is about time that the Chicago Media start showing respect to Frank!

RichFitztightly
02-25-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy

Based on my limited knowledge from my broadcast law class, Thomas could indeed sue if 1) He can prove it was untrue and intentionally reported with that knowledge and 2) He can prove the lie caused him monetary damage.

For instance, if Thomas missed out on an endorsment deal because the company didn't want Frank Thomas and this company based their decision on these false reports, then Thomas has a case.

I don't think he'll waste his time going after these newspaper reporters though. It would be a huge headache.

Hangar18
02-25-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
The Chcago Sports Writers were trying to create drama and a soap opera to help sell papers.

Do they get paid to report the news or to speculate?

So far, Mariotti, Boers and Berns, Brad Palmer (kudos to Jim Rose for ripping on Dustys actions also) and Patbooyah have contributed something worthwhile and REPORTED THE NEWS

Speculators this week include everyone at the Cub-Times for all the Bartman Fluff and unwittingly giving that local restaurant WELL PAST $200,000 worth of Free Coverage. Mike Kileys
"Even the Messiah needs to find an Apartment" piece qualifies
as pure Flufff. He even "bought" Dustys claim that there may be some "McCarthyism" in baseball right now. Kiley this week took a quote by Todd Walker ("I was signed to be the backup, so thats what Im going to be") and Twisted it into the Following Headline/Storyline "Walker not about Backstabbing" and generally saying this cub team is great, look, walker wont stab him in the back. PURE SPECULATION and a Shiney Example of a KILEY-ISM. this guys brutal

BeerHandle
02-25-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
So far, Mariotti, Boers and Berns, Brad Palmer (kudos to Jim Rose for ripping on Dustys actions also) and Patbooyah have contributed something worthwhile and REPORTED THE NEWS

Speculators this week include everyone at the Cub-Times for all the Bartman Fluff and unwittingly giving that local restaurant WELL PAST $200,000 worth of Free Coverage. Mike Kileys
"Even the Messiah needs to find an Apartment" piece qualifies
as pure Flufff. He even "bought" Dustys claim that there may be some "McCarthyism" in baseball right now. Kiley this week took a quote by Todd Walker ("I was signed to be the backup, so thats what Im going to be") and Twisted it into the Following Headline/Storyline "Walker not about Backstabbing" and generally saying this cub team is great, look, walker wont stab him in the back. PURE SPECULATION and a Shiney Example of a KILEY-ISM. this guys brutal

Hangar:

Nicely put! Hope to see you at some games!

BeerHandle