PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 2/26

Lip Man 1
02-25-2004, 01:47 PM
"I've been dealing with patchwork situations with this organization for 12 of the 14 years I've been here. We've always made changes and we have to make the best of it." --Frank Thomas / Chicago Tribune.

My initial thought was that this is very, very sad and probably goes a long way to explain the mediocrity and lack of success by this franchise. You get what you pay for. The good fans on the South Side deserve much, much better then what we have.

Lip

mantis1212
02-25-2004, 01:54 PM
I wonder which 2 years weren't patchwork? 93 and 94 maybe? Would you consider 2000 patchwork?

CubKilla
02-25-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
Would you consider 2000 patchwork?

Yes. In 2000, the White Sox brought in Cal Eldred (ELo of 2000 for the Sox) and Jose Valentin to replace Navarro and Caruso.

The '93 team was picked by many to win the AL West that year. Expectations were even higher for a '94 team that probably would have seriously challenged for a World Series title. But, thanks to JR and the MLB owners and MLBPA, we'll never know what could have been.

soxfan26
02-25-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
"I've been dealing with patchwork situations with this organization for 12 of the 14 years I've been here. We've always made changes and we have to make the best of it." --Frank Thomas / Chicago Tribune.

My initial thought was that this is very, very sad and probably goes a long way to explain the mediocrity and lack of success by this franchise. You get what you pay for. The good fans on the South Side deserve much, much better then what we have.

Lip

I was also unamused by this quote in the article about his talks with KW at the end of the season...

he and Williams had a "long, deep conversation and some of it wasn't pleasant, I'll be honest" regarding Thomas' free-agent opportunities. After that, Tellem decided to do the talking for Thomas.

Way to go KW, this off season you have managed to alienate the two best hitters in your lineup!

Brian26
02-25-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Hahahah.

You know what's funny-
I read that this morning on the train and KNEW that would end up being Lip's quote of the day. As soon as I saw it, I thought, "there you go, Lip."

RichFitztightly
02-25-2004, 03:03 PM
I'd say Frank is pretty close in his assessment. Frank might lack the diplomacy of a PR guy, but he tends to call it like it is. I think a lot of people, especially in the media, give him crap for it. I like when he says it like it is.

Dadawg_77
02-25-2004, 04:31 PM
Woooo. I look at the title and thought I went on a bender or something and missed entire day which I completly forgot about.

Tekijawa
02-25-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
I wonder which 2 years weren't patchwork? 93 and 94 maybe? Would you consider 2000 patchwork?

I would say his Rookie Year was one of them and then this year. You can't do "Patchwork" when you just leave the holes open and give away all your patches!

rdivaldi
02-25-2004, 04:41 PM
You can't say that 1997 was "patchwork", they went out and signed Belle and Navarro that year.

poorme
02-25-2004, 04:44 PM
he's talking about the 2 years they went to the playoffs, dontcha think?

ode to veeck
02-25-2004, 04:54 PM
I would guess he was referring to years was the early in his career where the rebuilding process of the late 80s was really starting to kick in as the early 90s team -- there certainly was elements of a lot of patchwork in the 2000 team, especially on the pitching mound

Dadawg_77
02-25-2004, 05:36 PM
The thing I think is meant by patch work was there seems not to be one over riding philosophy of the organization. To be continuously successful you need to have that.