PDA

View Full Version : Sammy looks as big, if not bigger.

Northside fan
02-24-2004, 09:42 PM
Certainly not indicative of a guy who "cut back" on the juice. I know this will not be very popular over here but could it be that Sammy is huge because he actually(GASP) DOES LIFT WEIGHTS? I'm not defending him for the cork fiasco, nor will I ever. He f-up and that is all there is to it. That said, saying without a shadow of a doubt that he is on juice is at best, negligent. It was PROVED he corked his bat, case closed. He got busted and paid the price. It has not been PROVED he is using juice.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-24-2004, 09:47 PM
Of course! He's so excited for the season he started lifting weights back in December! That's unheard of.

munchman33
02-24-2004, 09:52 PM
Steroids are a tool to help build muscle faster. Once you have those muscles, you need only work out to keep them. It will take more working out, but the hard part is getting the muscles in the first place.

Anyone who believes Sosa could get as big as he did as quick as he did without the use of steroids is a complete moron. Building muscle mass of his size from where he started would take non-stop working out every day, and Sammy has already admitted that this is not the case with him.

Northside fan
02-24-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
Steroids are a tool to help build muscle faster. Once you have those muscles, you need only work out to keep them. It will take more working out, but the hard part is getting the muscles in the first place.

Anyone who believes Sosa could get as big as he did as quick as he did without the use of steroids is a complete moron. Building muscle mass of his size from where he started would take non-stop working out every day, and Sammy has already admitted that this is not the case with him.

Munch, I'm not saying he is on the juice and I'm not saying that he is not on the juice. What I'm saying is there is no concrete proof that he is. Furthermore, players who use roids get injured far more than players who do not. Just my .02....

cheeses_h_rice
02-24-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Northside fan
Certainly not indicative of a guy who "cut back" on the juice. I know this will not be very popular over here but could it be that Sammy is huge because he actually(GASP) DOES LIFT WEIGHTS? I'm not defending him for the cork fiasco, nor will I ever. He f-up and that is all there is to it. That said, saying without a shadow of a doubt that he is on juice is at best, negligent. It was PROVED he corked his bat, case closed. He got busted and paid the price. It has not been PROVED he is using juice.

Anyone who saw Sham-ME* at the HR Derby in '01 or '02 (the one at Miller Park) should have absolutely no doubts about whether or not he's used 'roids.

End of discussion.

munchman33
02-24-2004, 10:07 PM
Munch, I'm not saying he is on the juice and I'm not saying that he is not on the juice. What I'm saying is there is no concrete proof that he is. Furthermore, players who use roids get injured far more than players who do not. Just my .02....

Well in that case, I pose this to you. I remember clearly back in 1993. This was the year Sosa reported to spring training EXHORBITANTLY larger than he had ever been. He also topped thirty homers for the first time in his career. The next three years, 1994, 95, and 96, Sammy did not play an entire year due to nagging injuries, which included various hamstring, wrist, and and elbow injuries, all very common in people who have used steroids.

In 1998, Sammy once again showed up to spring training larger than he had ever been and put up monster numbers. Last year, nagging injuries (no, I'm not counting the bean incident) got to him again.

I'm not saying this proves anything. But the people who believe Sammy's not taking steroids are the same people that believe O.J. Simpson was innocent.

CWSGuy406
02-24-2004, 10:51 PM

If Sammy's not taking the juice, all he should do is pee in the cup, or take the test. That's all. Looks pretty bad when he says he's not on 'roids, and then when asked to take the test, hides in a corner.

CubKilla
02-24-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
Looks pretty bad when he says he's not on 'roids, and then when asked to take the test, hides in a corner.

And drops more "F" bombs in 30 seconds than heard all throughout "Scarface".

DrCrawdad
02-24-2004, 10:58 PM

So what have we learned from the corked bat incident? Sammy is a cheat. Has Sammy cheated by using steroids? Circumstantial evidence is there that Sammy may have used steroids. And the fact that Sammy has been caught cheating shows that he certainly is not above using steroids.

Circumstantial evidence that points to steroids use:

1997 36 HRs
1998 66 HRs
In one year Sammy's HR total went up by 30 HRs!

1993-1997 34 HRs avg
1998-2002 58.4 HRs avg
Sammy averaged 24 more HRs in the 98-02 period, a 172% increase in average number of HRs.

In the 1998-2002 years Sammy also went from a slim player to a bulked up player.

Consider too that in the first year of steroid testing Sammy's HR total dropped to 40 and his slugging perc. dropped to a .553 - the lowest in 8 years.

When Sammy was given a chance to prove his innocence when asked to take a steroid test, Sammy's response was that of a guilty man who was called on the carpet. Gone was the cute Flintstone's vitamin answer.

In Sammy's defense, he's been pretty much injury free in his career unlike what you'd expect from a steroid user.

Am I saying that it's without a doubt that Sosa has used steroids? No. Sosa may not have used steroids but IMHO the circumstantial evidence indicates to me that Sosa probably has used steroids. Also, Sosa can not fall on his claims of innocence since he's a proven cheat. Cheat using a corked bat, who knows he may have cheated by using steroids.

ChiSox14305635
02-24-2004, 11:47 PM
Maybe this is my biased opinion talking here, but when I saw Sosa on the news tonight, he looked a alot smaller than last year. Giambi small? No, but smaller nevertheless.

Rocklive99
02-24-2004, 11:55 PM
I thought all of their heads looked smaller, Corky seemed the closest to last year though.

Rex Hudler
02-25-2004, 12:59 AM
If Sammy's not taking the juice, all he should do is pee in the cup, or take the test. That's all. Looks pretty bad when he says he's not on 'roids, and then when asked to take the test, hides in a corner.

I'm sure he did take the test last year and will again this year.

SSN721
02-25-2004, 07:23 AM

The absolute last thing I want to do here is defend the Antichrist, but I have to say that statement is a little unfair. Sammy is in the players union, I think most players would never take the test on the spot like the situation Rick Riley put Shammy in. The players union wants to keep that as a bargaining chip against the League, I think as long as they can use testing as a bargaining chip players wont take independent tests because it compromises the position of their Union. It will create a chain effect where every reporter now would just ask anyone they suspect of it, and if they say no they can be like, "well this guy took the test and was innocent but you wont, so you must be guilty" I just think if one player does it and get the ball rolling it will put all the other marquee players in a very bad position with the union, which is their bread and butter. That being said I am strongly suspicious of Shammy but I cant entirely condemn him without solid proof. I also hope that the League bullies the union into a strict testing agreement so we can clean up the sport for good and remove all the question marks and the possibility of this getting out of hand and really tarnishing the game. my .02

StepsInSC
02-25-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by munchman33

Wrong.

Working out non-stop every day would get you nowhere, rest is key. Anyone can get pretty big in a surprisingly short amount of time with the proper training and diet, and of course having lots of money to throw at professional trainers and dieticians only speeds up the process.

Look what this guy did in only 14 weeks. (http://t-mag.com/nation_articles/256beast.jsp) And w/o roids.

I'm not saying Sosa never did roids, but I think firmly believing 100% that he is, is more moronic then leaving the possibility that he did it all legitimately is completely out.

Iguana775
02-25-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Wrong.

Working out non-stop every day would get you nowhere, rest is key. Anyone can get pretty big in a surprisingly short amount of time with the proper training and diet, and of course having lots of money to throw at professional trainers and dieticians only speeds up the process.

Look what this guy did in only 14 weeks. (http://t-mag.com/nation_articles/256beast.jsp) And w/o roids.

I'm not saying Sosa never did roids, but I think firmly believing 100% that he is, is more moronic then leaving the possibility that he did it all legitimately is completely out.

damn, that's pretty impressive.

Frater Perdurabo
02-25-2004, 09:23 AM
I believe that a large percentage of pro athletes use chemicals and/or hormones to give them an edge. I believe Sammy is part of that. Perhaps he doesn't use steroids, or doesn't anymore. I do think it is likely that he has used, and continues to use, human growth hormone.

A player that has the lack of character to use a corked bat in a game has the same character to cheat in other ways.

Hullett_Fan
02-25-2004, 09:34 AM

My body type is very similar to that guy's (230 lbs., flabby).

I may try his program!!! Thanks for the link! :D:

:gulp: Protein Shake...not beer.

Kittle
02-25-2004, 09:51 AM
There's a ton of indirect evidence that suggests that Sammy juiced for at least part of his career, but nothing damning enough to convict him in a court of law.

His refusal to take "The Rick Reilly Challenge" pretty much says it all. Unless the MLBPA is allowed to tell its members what they can and can't do after they leave the clubhouse, Sammy had every right to take that test. If I were Sammy, I'd would've been more concerned about protecting my reputation than "setting a bad precedent."

DrCrawdad
02-25-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
I believe that a large percentage of pro athletes use chemicals and/or hormones to give them an edge. I believe Sammy is part of that. Perhaps he doesn't use steroids, or doesn't anymore. I do think it is likely that he has used, and continues to use, human growth hormone.

A player that has the lack of character to use a corked bat in a game has the same character to cheat in other ways.

Good points!

Jerko
02-25-2004, 09:53 AM
I just like all the "suspects" being very glib, or even testy, when confronted with the steroid question. If they are SO innocent, take the damn test. Players union or no. I would want to clear my name if I knew I was innocent. The fact that nobody is doing this is proof enough for me that they are not innocent.

DrCrawdad
02-25-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Kittle
There's a ton of indirect evidence that suggests that Sammy juiced for at least part of his career, but nothing damning enough to convict him in a court of law.

His refusal to take "The Rick Reilly Challenge" pretty much says it all. Unless the MLBPA is allowed to tell its members what they can and can't do after they leave the clubhouse, Sammy had every right to take that test. If I were Sammy, I'd would've been more concerned about protecting my reputation than "setting a bad precedent."

Sammy had made all those glib Flintstones comments and claimed his innocence yet when given a challenge ("The Rick Reilly Challenge") Sammy rand and hid behind the union. Yeah, that's Sammy always concerned about other players, it's never about himself.

bobj4400
02-25-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
Maybe this is my biased opinion talking here, but when I saw Sosa on the news tonight, he looked a alot smaller than last year. Giambi small? No, but smaller nevertheless.

I agree. The difference between '03 Sosa and '04 Sosa is not as shocking as that of Giambi, but there is definitely noticeable difference in his head size. Also, although he still looks muscular, he is not He Man like muscular as he was circa '98-'02. It is a much leaner, healthier look. I wouldnt be surprised to see that he has lost about 10 lbs.

One thing we can count on if he did get off the juice this past off season (which I believe he did) is that he will be swinging for the fences harder than ever. With his swing, that is a recipe for disaster.

DrCrawdad
02-25-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
I agree. The difference between '03 Sosa and '04 Sosa is not as shocking as that of Giambi, but there is definitely noticeable difference in his head size. Also, although he still looks muscular, he is not He Man like muscular as he was circa '98-'02. It is a much leaner, healthier look. I wouldnt be surprised to see that he has lost about 10 lbs.

One thing we can count on if he did get off the juice this past off season (which I believe he did) is that he will be swinging for the fences harder than ever. With his swing, that is a recipe for disaster.

I don't believe that Sammy used the cork bat much, if at all, before last season. But with Sammy's HR numbers dropping, with Wrigley fans booing him and steroid testing Sammy turned to the corked bat.

It will be interesting to see how Sammy responds if his offensive numbers sag as they did last year once steroid testing began.

Iwritecode
02-25-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan

That doesn't even look like the same guy in those two sets of pictures. The faces are different...

doublem23
02-25-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo

Nooooo... the batboy just handed him the wrong bat. He just wants to put on a show for the fans during BP.

Sammy Sosa... 100% fluff (with some steroids mixed in)

StepsInSC
02-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan

Its grueling, thats for sure. I did the first part of it once (the cutting part to lose fat), basically it consists of 5-6 protein shakes a day mixed with flaxseed oil, and thats all. Worked pretty good, if I could of stayed on it longer than 3 weeks before I crashed one night thanks to Huddle House's hashbrowns, haha.

Originally posted by Iwritecode

That doesn't even look like the same guy in those two sets of pictures. The faces are different...

Its definitely the same guy, the pictures are kind of small. I was just trying to show that massive changes are possible, but the key is diet. We as Americans believe that if you just exercise or lift or whatever you'll lose fat or gain muscle, but diet is like 80% of it. And pro ballplayers have more reason to be disciplined and more money to hire dieticians then normal Joes.

longshot7
02-25-2004, 11:32 AM
I think someone just forgot to tell Sammy that they're illegal now. For my money, he's still on something. There's a lot of new designer drugs & roids that are not being tested for. We didn't know about THG until a few months ago.

CubKilla
02-25-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
It will be interesting to see how Sammy responds if his offensive numbers sag as they did last year once steroid testing began.

He'll paint an aluminum bat brown

surfdudes
02-25-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
He'll paint an aluminum bat brown

Funny. Just plain funny.

With Louisville Slugger written in with a black El Marko.

surfdudes
02-25-2004, 12:10 PM
Oh ya, I forgot. Sosa's a cheater, a liar, and a steroid user.
I am happy to see with the advent of the testing, and the Cork incident, he will regain his mediocre form once again.

ChiSoxBobette
02-25-2004, 01:13 PM

If you scrub fans really think that guy is'nt juiced up then why does he put up such a fight about getting tested. Bonds ,Giambi & Corky are all full of it , Bonds wants everyone to believe he would go and get tested today if they asked Giambi said basically the same in thier espn interviews , but whos going to ask...Bud Selig I don't think so because if any or all three of those guys tested positive baseball would be done. As for Corky he's already had his tantrum about being tested and that only tells you one thing JUICED BABY!

maurice
02-25-2004, 01:16 PM
It's one thing to reduce body fat and tone flab. It's quite another thing for a lanky fellow to add 30+ pounds of muscle in one offseason. The former can be done with proper nutrition and exercise. That latter requires steroids (or a heck of a lot more time than one offseason).

Iwritecode
02-25-2004, 01:25 PM
Its definitely the same guy, the pictures are kind of small. I was just trying to show that massive changes are possible, but the key is diet. We as Americans believe that if you just exercise or lift or whatever you'll lose fat or gain muscle, but diet is like 80% of it. And pro ballplayers have more reason to be disciplined and more money to hire dieticians then normal Joes.

Actually, everyone I know does the dieting part and forgets about the exercise/working out. Then they can't figure out why they aren't losing weight faster...

DrCrawdad
02-26-2004, 08:14 AM
:moron
For the record, Sosa looks leaner than usual. Last year, he told me in Arizona that he would take a steroid test any time, any place -- if the union allowed. Bonds and Sheffield have said the same thing this year, but isn't this an easy proposal to make when all three know the union won't let them near a bottle? It was clear Sosa was coached on how to respond to steroid questions Tuesday. He wouldn't touch any of them, blocking shots like a hockey goalie. - February 26, 2004

For the record, I haven't noticed much of a difference in Soso but I'm only going on what I've seen on the sports.

cornball
02-26-2004, 09:05 AM
I dont know about anyone else, but with all due respect Northside, this is a White Sox board not a Cub board.

I have seen a few of your threads and all are disclaimers of what a Cub fan thinks of Frank or this one regarding Sosa.

We know how Cub fans think, most of us lived in Chicago for a lifetime. Baffles me why you won't hang with your own.

StepsInSC
02-26-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by cornball
I dont know about anyone else, but with all due respect Northside, this is a White Sox board not a Cub board.

I have seen a few of your threads and all are disclaimers of what a Cub fan thinks of Frank or this one regarding Sosa.

We know how Cub fans think, most of us lived in Chicago for a lifetime. Baffles me why you won't hang with your own.

Its not like he's been trolling, in fact sometimes he gets bashed for making decent points (the Frank thread comes to mind). As long as he's not flaming anyone or screaming "Cubs rule, Sox suck" I hope he sticks around. One more mind at WSI is a good thing, IMHO.