PDA

View Full Version : Frank at Spring Training Today

Mickster
02-24-2004, 06:04 PM
6:00 p.m. ESPN AM 1000 SportsCenter Update reports that Frank reported in Tuscon and has already had a meeting with Ozzy. They have scheduled a press conference for tomorrow afternoon.

Looks like it was done without all of the media fanfare.

Hopefully all is well.

:)

OEO Magglio
02-24-2004, 06:08 PM
That's good to hear, hopefully they talked and got everything settled.

Palehose13
02-24-2004, 06:11 PM
Sweeeeet. This can't be anything but positive. What are they gonna do, hold a press conference to say that they hate each other?

Take that stupid media people. Not only is Frank on time (as usual) he is early. :gulp:

Mickster
02-24-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Sweeeeet. This can't be anything but positive. What are they gonna do, hold a press conference to say that they hate each other?

Take that stupid media people. Not only is Frank on time (as usual) he is early. :gulp:

Agreed. If Frank wanted to come in and cause a ruckus and whine (like so many on this board excpect him to do), this would not have happened in this manner.

Let's have a ST without any problems and start the season on the right foot. Hopefully they will develop an "us against them" team attitude and just go out and play some baseball!

Palehose13
02-24-2004, 06:17 PM
Let's have a ST without any problems and start the season on the right foot. Hopefully they will develop an "us against them" team attitude and just go out and play some baseball!

When Frank has that attitude, he usually has a MONSTER year. Hopefully, the rest of the team will have the same.

sas1974
02-24-2004, 06:20 PM
That is GREAT NEWS! But ut oh....now what will the papers have to write about? They may actually have to do some real work now and actually start talking about baseball instead of soap opera story lines.

OneDog
02-24-2004, 06:21 PM
When Frank has that attitude, he usually has a MONSTER year. Hopefully, the rest of the team will have the same.

Just like 2000. Let's hope, anyway

Palehose13
02-24-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by OneDog
Just like 2000. Let's hope, anyway
I'm hoping for better. :D:

OneDog
02-24-2004, 06:23 PM

Agreed. If they hated each other, they would not talk about it directly to the media. It would have been kept quiet or reported through other sources. The only reason Frank and Jerry talked about their 2000 spat was because it seemed to have had positive results at the time.

Rex Hudler
02-24-2004, 06:45 PM
This is exactly what needed to happen. If Frank and Ozzie can keep from putting their foot in their mouth, this issue should die fairly quickly.

Foulke You
02-24-2004, 06:57 PM
The Sun-Times is going to be disappointed. They ran a huge story in Sunday's paper about how this is sure to explode when Frank arrives at camp. They listed all of his past "grievances" on the cover of the sports section. Looks like this is going to be a non-story as predicted by Ozzie and many on this board. Poor media. I'm sure they'll find something to be critical about Frank with and then move on to writing about the Steve Bartman ball and Billy Goats.

SEALgep
02-24-2004, 07:00 PM
This is definitely a good sign. They already met and everything. I can't wait to hear the press conference and see what they do. :smile:

sas1974
02-24-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
This is definitely a good sign. They already met and everything. I can't wait to hear the press conference and see what they do. :smile:

I bet they arm wrestle to settle their differences.

Rex Hudler
02-24-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
I bet they arm wrestle to settle their differences.

Rock, paper, scissors, best of 7!

chisoxmike
02-24-2004, 07:16 PM
I haven't seen this reported anywhere. I know this was reported on the radio, but I would think that the Chicago media would be all over this like a 50 cent hooker.

Oh well, hope all is well in White Sox world.

ChiSox14305635
02-24-2004, 07:17 PM
:moron:

Frank can't come to camp quietly? I've already had my column ready for several months bashing him! What am I gonna do? :whiner:

:hawk:

That's a hang-whiff'em on your column, putz.

:moron:

Shut up, Houseman Hawk! :whiner:

chisoxmike
02-24-2004, 07:19 PM
:moron

:clueless

:giangreco

:morrisey

"That's becuase nothing negative has happened yet, and the Cubs signed Maddux, we're still not done saying how great the Cubs are going to be and how world series tickets should be sold now."

Deadguy
02-24-2004, 07:23 PM
That's great. I hate to admit it, but I was a bit nervous about him not showing up tommorow, but I'm glad to see he's there. Now we just all have to sweat out the press conference tommorow afternoon.

Deadguy
02-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by chisoxmike
I haven't seen this reported anywhere. I know this was reported on the radio, but I would think that the Chicago media would be all over this like a 50 cent hooker.

Oh well, hope all is well in White Sox world.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040224&content_id=641004&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp

cheeses_h_rice
02-24-2004, 07:56 PM
This is very welcome news to me, coming on a day when ABC 7 news had nothin' but Sham-ME at 6:00.

ChiSox14305635
02-24-2004, 08:19 PM
Naturally, no mention of Frank being in camp on the Cubune. But they still have Phil (the Shill) Roger's column advising the Sox to trade Frank. And of course, SHAM-ME's ugly mug splashed on their homepage.

mike squires
02-24-2004, 08:29 PM
I don't know, those 50 cent hooker can be kind of homely.

MRKARNO
02-24-2004, 09:10 PM
I was thinking before that the best way that Thomas could quiet his doubters was to arrive in camp early. I'm glad he did.

hose
02-24-2004, 09:46 PM
http://www.670thescore.com/graphics/pic_sm_george_ofman.jpg
"I'll be there to cover the press conference as soon as I get done washing and waxing Dusty's car and dropping off Sammy's dry cleaning."

CubKilla
02-24-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
This is very welcome news to me, coming on a day when ABC 7 news had nothin' but Sham-ME at 6:00.

That's why nobody heard anything about it and why Frank entered with no fanfare..... the Chicago media is still on their knees for ShamME and Maddux in Mesa.

soxnut
02-24-2004, 10:29 PM
That's really good news. Hopefully the press conference goes well. :smile:

ChiSox14305635
02-24-2004, 10:40 PM
Let's see: Mark Schanowski gave about 15 seconds of details of Frank returning, Brad Palmer 5 seconds, and I guess Mike Adamle felt mentioning it would cut too much into his Shammy segment, so he didn't mention it at all.

Gotta love the Chicago media. Like lambs headed for the slaughter.

rcescato
02-24-2004, 11:06 PM
the media, channel 7 did briefly mention after they followed sammy around like a god. They said they will be there tomorrow.
Hopefully that will be only day we see them the rest of the year.
When the flubs lose they can all cry on each others shoulders

GOC
02-24-2004, 11:21 PM
I'm sure the media will find some way to distort this .

"I've been to war so many years with Ozzie that I know what to expect from Ozzie."
I can see the headlines tommorow :
" Frank Declares War on Ozzie "

Saracen
02-24-2004, 11:26 PM
Article on ChicagoSports about Frank's arrival:
The Stars Come Out (http://http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040224sox,1,4509617.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Some quotes:
Thomas said he told his former teammate there wasn't any problem between them. "He knows that," Thomas said. "I played with Ozzie for eight years. I know what to expect from Ozzie. There is already a different rapport with Ozzie and me than with Jerry Manuel because I didn't know where Jerry Manuel was coming from at times. We just didn't know each other. It's different now."
Thomas said he felt he earned the right to disappear during the winter."I dealt with the media all year long, more than anyone in the clubhouse," he said. "When I get away, I like to get away."
At least for now, there doesn't seem to be any issues to deal with as far as Thomas is concerned. Thomas said Guillen's comments about him in November didn't bother him. "What he was trying to do was let people know this is his team now and he's coming in to take over and on the first day to let everyone know, 'I don't care who you are on this team, I'm the manager now,' and that's fine," he said. "I have no problem with that. He wasn't trying to get under my skin."

chisoxmike
02-24-2004, 11:29 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NAS...4news&fext=.jsp

THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

We need to throw a party.

Rex Hudler
02-24-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I was thinking before that the best way that Thomas could quiet his doubters was to arrive in camp early. I'm glad he did.

I posted this Monday on another message board...... I wasn't completely off. :)

On Frank/Ozzie:

I think Frank should throw all the media off by quietly showing up to camp on Tuesday. He and Ozzie can talk, yell, scream, FT can throw punches, Ozzie will run and Frank won't catch him, until Ozzie trips over the bucket of BP balls and then Frank can't hit him because he is laughing so hard. They both realize this whole thing was pretty damned funny, hug, kiss and make up. They seal the deal with a handshake and a promise from Frank to run out every groudball.

The media horde comes in on Wednesday to pick up the scraps of a story that is not there, as Frank and Ozzie walk out onto the field at Tucson Electric Park, arm in arm with big smiles across their faces.

SSN721
02-25-2004, 06:36 AM
Just so happy to hear this. I agree that the press conference will be a clearing of airs between the two. Hopefully this a good omen for the rest of the year. I think Frank understand the situation and maybe understood what Ozzie was saying all the time, not really taking it out of context like a lot of people have. I just like the way this has worked out. :cool: