PDA

View Full Version : Sportscenter a bunch of pansies

MarqSox
02-24-2004, 06:21 PM
An upcoming Sportscenter segment: "With the city's other sports teams blowing in the wind, can the Cubs win one for all of Chicago?"

I hope this is a rhetorical and they'll say "No, half the city hates the Cubs and hopes they suck ass." Of course, I'm sure it'll be the opposite. :angry:

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-24-2004, 06:22 PM
I was going to make a thread on this. I think I'm going to turn off the TV. I can't handle this. Oh yay! Sosa is on now..

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-24-2004, 06:25 PM
Grrrr...I really like how this idiot Peter Gomez acts like the Sox haven't had back to back .500 seasons in over 30 years. Did the White Sox lose 120 games last year or something?

sas1974
02-24-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
Grrrr...I really like how this idiot Peter Gomez acts like the Sox haven't had back to back .500 seasons in over 30 years. Did the White Sox lose 120 games last year or something?

He is a putz. He's probably still bitter that he got booed at the All-Star game.

OneDog
02-24-2004, 07:39 PM
Dear Media:

As hard as it may be to believe, just as not everyone in New York roots for the Yankees, not everyone in Chicago roots for the Cubs. So (insert extremely offensive expletives that would make a Marines Corps DI blush, here).

Sincerely,
White Sox Nation

Lip Man 1
02-24-2004, 08:21 PM
When the Sox do something noteworthy besides underachieving, Disco Demolition and having the most hated owner in sports they'll get some recognition.

At least the Cubs have a payroll worthy of national attention, unlike us.

Lip

sas1974
02-24-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
When the Sox do something noteworthy besides underachieving, Disco Demolition and having the most hated owner in sports they'll get some recognition.

Lip

Wait! People hate our owner? When did this start? Why wasn't I told about this?

It could be worse though....we could be the Mets. Twice the payroll, half the results.

ChiSox14305635
02-24-2004, 08:28 PM

Lip

Lip, have there been any moves the Sox have made in the last 5 years that you have liked?

Just an honest question, that's all.

MarqSox
02-24-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
Lip, have there been any moves the Sox have made in the last 5 years that you have liked?

Just an honest question, that's all.
I imagine he was furious in 2000 ... that whole Best Record in Baseball thing blew a hole in his "You have to spend to win" argument.

Lip Man 1
02-24-2004, 10:00 PM
Marq:

Yea they sure did REAL well in the playoffs!

What they needed was to get pitching that August although to answer the previous poster I liked the addition of Charles Johnson who did very well the last two months.

But of course the Sox wouldn't SPEND to get that pitching either by picking up salary or trading the 'can't miss kids,' (who did squat). Then when everybody blew out their arms trying to make up for the loss of Eldred and Baldwin down the stretch we were screwed in 2001.

Marq you sound like somebody who was thrilled that the Sox fluked up into a divisional crown in 2000 and are still living off it. I for one have higher baseball goals, ones that can't be achieved by 'luck' or payrolls that are six million bucks less then the median MLB payroll for 2003.

Lip

CubKilla
02-24-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I imagine he was furious in 2000 ... that whole Best Record in Baseball thing blew a hole in his "You have to spend to win" argument.

If just getting to the ALDS is your goal than yeah..... mission accomplished.

MarqSox
02-24-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Cup's half-full, boys.

MarqSox
02-25-2004, 12:01 AM
Says Stuart Scott on the 10 p.m. SportsCenter:

"Sammy Sosa is carrying the torch for all of C-H-I."

No, Stuart, he's not. He's despised by half the city, but you wouldn't know that.

sas1974
02-25-2004, 02:17 AM
Marq you sound like somebody who was thrilled that the Sox fluked up into a divisional crown in 2000 and are still living off it. I for one have higher baseball goals, ones that can't be achieved by 'luck' or payrolls that are six million bucks less then the median MLB payroll for 2003.

Lip

With all due respect Lip, do you think that the Marlins and Angels "fluked" their way to a World Series crown? That is the wonderful thing about baseball...Ya never know. Anyone out there NOT picking the Yanks to win the series?

Iwritecode
02-25-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
With all due respect Lip, do you think that the Marlins and Angels "fluked" their way to a World Series crown? That is the wonderful thing about baseball...Ya never know. Anyone out there NOT picking the Yanks to win the series?

Well considering the past couple of years they've just barely made it to the WS and when they did, they haven't won it...

I think their pitching staff, while better than most, is still probably the weakest they've had in a long time.

Hokiesox
02-25-2004, 01:11 PM

No, Stuart, he's not. He's despised by half the city, but you wouldn't know that.

Stuart Scott is an embarrassment of his own.

Frater Perdurabo
02-25-2004, 01:14 PM
What they needed was to get pitching that August although to answer the previous poster I liked the addition of Charles Johnson who did very well the last two months.

I thought the Charles Johnson pickup was a good one, too, but that seemed to mess with the chemistry that season, and I wish they would have signed Johnson long-term. :(:

Lip Man 1
02-25-2004, 01:38 PM
Folks:

A few points....

1. Don't worry... the Yanks will get WHATEVER they need come July.

2. Here's something that should chill your blood. Pedro Martinez (who can be a free agent after this season) was quoted as saying how 'nice' of a man George Steinbrenner is and that all he wants to do is win. (Now I realize that he's jerking the Red Sox chain in regards to his contract but can you imagine HIM on the same Yankee staff in 2005?)

3. Personally I thought the best Sox deal in the past five years was for Colon but typically the Sox didn't re-sign him and if you look at the Sox history, they'd rather trade for potential impact players then sign impact free agents. The problem with that philosophy? Simple you create more holes trying to fill other ones. Any wonder this organization has a record of 83-79 averaged over the past six seasons?

4. The Angels were a 'fluke' because they didn't having the staying power to even get back to the playoffs the following season (just like the 2000 Sox). When this season is over and the Marlins at best, finish in 2nd place in their division, we'll be saying the same thing about them. They've lost one of the top catchers in the game, an outfielder who drove in 94 RBI's, a pitcher who won 14 games and a Gold Glove winning, 30 homer hitting first baseman....yea they'll be fine.

Lip

doublem23
02-25-2004, 01:42 PM
Marq:

Yea they sure did REAL well in the playoffs!

But of course the Sox wouldn't SPEND to get that pitching either by picking up salary or trading the 'can't miss kids,' (who did squat). Then when everybody blew out their arms trying to make up for the loss of Eldred and Baldwin down the stretch we were screwed in 2001.

Lip

Originally posted by CubKilla

Jeez... Do you guys go around kicking puppies on the weekend? I'd gladly take a 95-win season and AL Central crown this year.

Iwritecode
02-25-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Jeez... Do you guys go around kicking puppies on the weekend? I'd gladly take a 95-win season and AL Central crown this year.

Considering the expectations of this team, I sure wouldn't turn it down.

However I think it would be nice to see what it's like to win a playoff series at least once in my lifetime...

doublem23
02-25-2004, 01:47 PM

Of course not... The fact that a shmo like Stuart Scott has a job should tell you how credible ESPN, if not all of the sports media is. He hasn't said anything worth listening to in years, yet people eat his **** up because he throws in a "Boo ya!" every now and then.

Pfft.

Hangar18
02-25-2004, 02:29 PM
When the Sox do something noteworthy besides underachieving .........

Lip

Lets see, the Cubs have been underachieving and somehow,
Inexplicably STILL got more headlines when the SOX were
Winning. I dont buy the Medias "excuses"

Cubs lose/sox win = More Cub Stories
Cubs lose/sox lose = More Cub Stories
Cubs win/Sox Win = More Cub Stories
Cubs win/sox lose = Even More Cub Stories than normal

Lip Man 1
02-25-2004, 06:05 PM
Hangar:

20 years of mismanagement, underachieving, disasterous PR moves and calling out that same media have come home to roost wouldn't you say?

Who gave the Cubs both of the biggest drawing cards to reenergize that franchise and operation way back in 1982 and 1992?

Lip

kittle42
02-25-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Wait! People hate our owner? When did this start? Why wasn't I told about this?

It could be worse though....we could be the Mets. Twice the payroll, half the results.

And Met fans have to live with their hated cross-city rivals winning all the damn time.

chitown sox
02-25-2004, 07:46 PM
Sports media is pure crap. ESPN, with the people they hire, and the shows they produce (Around the Horn... be the wackiest, stupidly opiniated, loudest **** in the room and win) is just a sick joke.

The only national sports media I can stand anymore is NBA on TNT. Those guys are just themselves, laid back, laughing jovially (unlike ESPN's smug humor), no flash.

batmanZoSo
02-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337

There's a lot of snide crap coming out of the media's mouth about us. We will show them what is up. We'll be just as good as last year if not better.
No one remembers the cubs won 2 more games than we did. Were they in any other division, they would have been watching the playoffs with us. I know, ifs and buts...but hey, we were basically a series away from winning the division ourselves. Colon, Alomar, and Everett did little to help us last year. They won't be missed. I say we're better off without them and with a new coach and a new firey attitude.