PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Merchandising

rcescato
02-24-2004, 05:09 PM
I was at the new Sportmart today, that opened in Mokena.
It is sad to report that no White Sox Merchandising was
present. I went over the area 3 times figuring I must have missed it some how. Flub stuff at the front door and a whole section inside. I was looking and I found the Blackhawks, Bulls,
and Bears. Illinois and Notre Dame also was seen. So I asked the clerk. Do you have any White Sox Merchandising in the store.
They all looked at me like I was crazy. I was wearing a Sox jacket and I pointed to The sox on the jacket. I said, you know the White Sox? Oh one said, no we don't. Are you going to get any? They said maybe. I just walked away and said it is sad.
The one clerk behind the counter must have been a Sox fan because she said some of the cub stuff was still left from last year. I can't believe we have fell to this point in this town. Even way down South has been affected.

Rich

Foulke You
02-24-2004, 05:14 PM
I hear ya, I was in a Hat Store in a local mall the other day and they had racks and racks of different Cubs hats. The Sox hats were all the way on the bottom and they only had 3 different kinds compared to like the 30 different kinds of Cubs hats. Remember in the early '90s when Sox merchandise was selling better than Cubs stuff? Seems like ancient history now.

steff
02-24-2004, 05:17 PM
Grandstand has plenty of Sox merchandise.. :D:

hillbilly
02-24-2004, 05:26 PM
thats because it wont sell

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-24-2004, 05:27 PM
I've noticed that too. The only Sox stuff I see is the trendy retro stuff. Some of it is cool but a lot of it is disgusting. When did the sox have pink, green, and sand brown as their colors?

doctor30th
02-24-2004, 05:40 PM
I live in Bloomington and there is alot of White sox stuff. You still will find your stores with the majority of Cubs things, but I went to a Nike outlet store the other day and they didn't even have any cubs gear, just some sox Shirts and some Blackhawks shirts.

Brian26
02-24-2004, 07:05 PM
Maybe it's just a Sportmart thing. The store downtown at Ohio and LaSalle doesn't have any Sox merchandise right now at all, but is still loaded with tons of Cubs shirts, jerseys, and hats. It's almost like they made a conscious effort to get rid of all the Sox merchandise.

Lip Man 1
02-24-2004, 07:14 PM
Oh for the days of 1991 when the new Sox logo / colors of black/ silver & white were the #1 selling team in all of MLB.

But I guess this like everything else is our (fans) fault.

I can hear Uncle Jerry now demanding to know why every fan hasn't bought ten different jersey/ hat/ batting practice jersey items.

Lip

beckett21
02-24-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Maybe it's just a Sportmart thing. The store downtown at Ohio and LaSalle doesn't have any Sox merchandise right now at all, but is still loaded with tons of Cubs shirts, jerseys, and hats. It's almost like they made a conscious effort to get rid of all the Sox merchandise.

Sounds like a boycott is in order. :angry:

Hangar, ready to impose sanctions?

Brian26
02-24-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by beckett21

It's bizarre because I purchased the Sox batting practice hat their last summer (which, by the way, is the most comfortable hat I've ever had in my life....the mesh breathes very nicely in the summer time).

ewokpelts
02-24-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
It's bizarre because I purchased the Sox batting practice hat their last summer (which, by the way, is the most comfortable hat I've ever had in my life....the mesh breathes very nicely in the summer time).

what's wierder is that sportmart was a fanfest sponsor....I was at the lasalle locationa few months ago, and i was hard pressed to find more than a few hats there...it's sickening how much cub stuff is being sold now...go figure...that happens when you're five outs from the world series
Gene

Rocklive99
02-24-2004, 10:49 PM
Same with the Sportmart by me in the suburbs. Sports Authority has some stuff, but it is on one rack in the middle of all of the Cubs stuff. At another store, the only Sox shirts I found were a couple in the "College Teams" rack :/

thepaulbowski
02-25-2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Oh for the days of 1991 when the new Sox logo / colors of black/ silver & white were the #1 selling team in all of MLB.

I have family back in South Carolina and one of them asked me what had happened to the White Sox. At first I didn't understand what he meant, but then he went on saying how about ten years ago everybody had Frank jersey's, hat's, jackets, etc. I never realized that the Sox once had that great of merchandising.

Fisk Fan
02-25-2004, 07:29 AM
I went into a Galyan's last week and there was a series of six racks and two shelves filled with Cubs jerseys, hats and shirts. I had to go to the back of the store to find anything Sox related. I did find a Bartolo Colon jersey on the discount rack, though. Makes you wonder when they are going to dye the river Cubbie Blue?

steff
02-25-2004, 07:40 AM
FYI.. Kohl's has a TON of Sox stuff.. and half the price :D:

SSN721
02-25-2004, 07:54 AM
Yeah, I cant understand why there is only 2 Sox jerseys and a few hats down the street from me at Wrigleyville Sports. Intolerable. :D:

Kittle
02-25-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Remember in the early '90s when Sox merchandise was selling better than Cubs stuff? Seems like ancient history now.

Maybe JR can get Dre and Snoop to start sporting Sox gear again.

It must be a Sportmart thing, because I can still go out and buy a Sox hat from Hatworld in Indianapolis.

With the exception of some of the throwback stuff, Cubs gear is wretched. It looks like freakin' baby clothes.

Baby Fisk
02-25-2004, 09:51 AM
A great site for retro Sox gear online is Dugout-Memories.com (http://www.dugout-memories.com/). They've got a huge selection of stuff.

Kittle
02-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
A great site for retro Sox gear online is Dugout-Memories.com (http://www.dugout-memories.com/). They've got a huge selection of stuff.

I was disappointed that the Cooperstown Classic retro hoodies are no longer available. The Sox one was pretty sweet (navy with retro "Chicago" across the chest and the 1917 "Sox" logo on the sleeve).

CubKilla
02-25-2004, 12:05 PM

LMAO!!!!! :D: :D: :D: :D: :D:

I hope those "sanctions" extended to JR by Hangar not buying season tix this year.

Baby Fisk
02-25-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
When did the sox have pink, green, and sand brown as their colors?

Veeck rolled those out in 1961 to draw people to the park. :D:

Hangar18
02-25-2004, 12:17 PM

I was at the some sporting goods place (Mc sports?)
thats on Fullerton, just west of Clybourn recently.
Yes....there were Racks and racks and bins full of cub junk.
I purposely put sox Jerseys in front of the cub junk heh heh

Hangar18
02-25-2004, 12:23 PM
Which reminds me..... On my way to SanDiego over the holidays,
I went into the giftshop in Midway Airport to buy a newspaper for the flight. Walking by, I noticed all the CubJunk displayed prominently by the front door. I asked the girl there where the SOX stuff was and that chicago has 2 teams.....and she pointed to the back. the shirts they had actually looked way better anyway than the cubjunk. I told her I would bet the Store would SELL MORE SOX STUFF, if they DISPLAYED IN FRONT LIKE THE CUBJUNK. she said the boss made her put the cubjunk in front. I Again, Quietly and with great Stealth, grabbed
about 10 of the SOX shirts and put them in the hangers in front
She Never Noticed lol. By the way...this is something I subconsciously do ALL THE TIME. I'll remove cub shirts, Replace cub hats etc etc and display either equally or not, the SOX stuff first. Tired of the Cubpoganda in this town.

AS FOR SANCTIONS. Yeah I dont eat RedBaron Frozen Pizza
and Will NOT FLY ATA airlines. Please make sure all of you
not patronize these products

Frater Perdurabo
Originally posted by rcescato
I was at the new Sportmart today, that opened in Mokena.
It is sad to report that no White Sox Merchandising was
present. I went over the area 3 times figuring I must have missed it some how. Flub stuff at the front door and a whole section inside. I was looking and I found the Blackhawks, Bulls,
and Bears. Illinois and Notre Dame also was seen. So I asked the clerk. Do you have any White Sox Merchandising in the store.
They all looked at me like I was crazy. I was wearing a Sox jacket and I pointed to The sox on the jacket. I said, you know the White Sox? Oh one said, no we don't. Are you going to get any? They said maybe. I just walked away and said it is sad.
The one clerk behind the counter must have been a Sox fan because she said some of the cub stuff was still left from last year. I can't believe we have fell to this point in this town. Even way down South has been affected.

Hey, I grew up in Mokena! There was a time when Mokena was solid Sox territory, when it was the place south siders moved after living in Oak Lawn/Evergreen Park and then Orland Park/Tinley Park.

I guess when I visit my family there this summer the new Sportmart will be among the places I AVOID, unless this situation is rectified.

Frater Perdurabo
Originally posted by Hangar18

Very nice! Civil disobedience at its finest!

ewokpelts
02-25-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by steff
FYI.. Kohl's has a TON of Sox stuff.. and half the price :D:

which locations?

ewokpelts
02-25-2004, 12:33 PM

AS FOR SANCTIONS. Yeah I dont eat RedBaron Frozen Pizza
and Will NOT FLY ATA airlines. Please make sure all of you
not patronize these products

why not?

Gene

steff
02-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
which locations?

North Riverside, several in Plainfield/Naperville (on route 59 there are 3 of them), Crestwood, and Chicago Ridge mall.

Hangar18
02-25-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
why not?

Gene

RedBaron Pizza for jumping on the Wrigley-is-a-shrine bandwagon, giving away a trip "to the ultimate paradise", the urinal. ATA for lumping all Chicagoans together and Calling for Maddux to resign here, saying its what "chicago" wants.
I "want" nothing to do with either product now

ewokpelts
02-25-2004, 01:59 PM
RedBaron Pizza for jumping on the Wrigley-is-a-shrine bandwagon, giving away a trip "to the ultimate paradise", the urinal. ATA for lumping all Chicagoans together and Calling for Maddux to resign here, saying its what "chicago" wants.
I "want" nothing to do with either product now

i see.....well...i like ata...and they sponsor the sox.......ata and sox charities gave a couple trips to make-a-wish last year, so i dont care what thier ads say....
Gene

Fisk Fan
02-25-2004, 02:06 PM

Not that it matters, but it's a Sports Authority........and a crappy one at that!

hsnterprize
02-25-2004, 04:58 PM
I went to the Sports Authority in Burbank and the Sportmart on LaSalle Boulevard and noticed the same thing...a lot of Cubs stuff and very little Sox stuff. Even though it was the dead of winter, the Sportmart appeared to have Cub-a-plenty on display. I asked a salesperson about that, and he just looked at me like I was crazy. The Sportmart did have a bunch of Sox caps, but not as many as the Cubs. I even remember talking with other associated about the Sox/Cubs rivalry...some folks got it, and others didn't.

As far as the Sports Authority was concerned, I and another customer were looking at the disparity, and told a salesperson about it. The salesperson was also a Sox fan, and she didn't know what to say. Hopefully, there will be a better selection of Sox stuff at these stores once the season gets underway.