PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Williams article on MLB.com (Not a bad read)

ChiSox14305635
02-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Kenny Williams article (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040224&content_id=634998&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

I didn't know KW was the only African American GM in baseball. Despite some boneheaded deals (Ritchie for Wells/Fogg, Koch for Foulke), I don't think he's done a bad job and he seems hellbent on winning. Of course, saying that, I know others may disagree.

SEALgep
02-24-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
Kenny Williams article (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040224&content_id=634998&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

I didn't know KW was the only African American GM in baseball. Despite some boneheaded deals (Ritchie for Wells/Fogg, Koch for Foulke), I don't think he's done a bad job and he seems hellbent on winning. Of course, saying that, I know others may disagree. Not me, I agree he's done a pretty good job. With the payroll as such, you need to be aggressive to stand apart from the other teams with similar payrolls. He's done that. I would include it was pretty cool to be the first ball club with an African American GM and manager at the same time, followed by hiring the first Venezuelan manager- who I am very excited and grateful to have.

Baby Fisk
02-24-2004, 03:52 PM
Someone here will probably fly off the handle about some bonehead trade or signing KW has made, but I place the blame for his lack of results on the shoulders of someone else...

:reinsy

"...What?...Why is everybody looking at me that way?..."

Iwritecode
02-24-2004, 04:26 PM
I didn't know KW was the only African American GM in baseball.

IIRC, back in 2000 when Charles Johnson and Jerry Manual went to talk to James Baldwin it was the first time there had ever been an African American pitcher, catcher and manager on the mound at the same time.

soxtalker
02-24-2004, 04:48 PM

I didn't know KW was the only African American GM in baseball. Despite some boneheaded deals (Ritchie for Wells/Fogg, Koch for Foulke), I don't think he's done a bad job and he seems hellbent on winning. Of course, saying that, I know others may disagree.

I'm probably in the middle at this time. That's a step forward, as I was very unhappy with KW in the past. So, I think/hope that he has learned from his mistakes.

I don't, however, agree with the sentiment that many fans have that KW is unusual in really wanting to win. He does have a very agressive style, which has resulted in a number of exciting trades. Unfortunately, several of those were just plain bad -- and you've named two of them. But he's also had his very good trades.

One other issue that I have with him currently is that our minor league system doesn't seem to be very well stocked.

chisoxt
02-24-2004, 08:02 PM
I lean pretty heavily on the side that KW has done a poor job.

When you consider that he inherited a division winning team, and a farm system rated as one of the tops in baseball, he has come up snake-eyes each year. Yes, there are difficult financial constraints that he has to work with and he has a cheapskate for a boss, but if you look around baseball, there are other GMs that have done better with worst constraints (See Oakland, Minnesota, Montreal). Additionally, he has traded away our better young players for older, higher priced and not necessarily better talent. If you have a organization with limited means, this MO will usually result in disaster.

What is surprising about the trades that he has made is that being in the Sox organization for years prior to his promotion, one would think that he would have a leg up in the talent evaluation department.

I'll save the PR gaffes for another time.

Lip Man 1
02-24-2004, 08:18 PM
I'm caught in the middle on this one...yes Williams does have a football players mentality towards winning...and yes it's his boss good ole' Uncle Jerry that has tied kenny's hands on a number of things....

However that has to be balanced with the fact that Williams knew what he was getting into when he took the job. He can't say Reinsdorf is a surprise so his record has to speak for itself even WITH Uncle jerry's issues hamstringing him.

Could he have wanted (needed) this job that badly?

Lip

gosox41
02-24-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I'm caught in the middle on this one...yes Williams does have a football players mentality towards winning...and yes it's his boss good ole' Uncle Jerry that has tied kenny's hands on a number of things....

However that has to be balanced with the fact that Williams knew what he was getting into when he took the job. He can't say Reinsdorf is a surprise so his record has to speak for itself even WITH Uncle jerry's issues hamstringing him.

Lip

I'm sure he would. If a major league team offered me a job I'd take it in a heart beat.

Bob

munchman33
02-24-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

Lip, can you honestly tell me that if Uncle Jerry offered you a chance to be GM, you'd turn it down?

soxfan2425
02-24-2004, 10:38 PM
wasnt that bonehead deal sirotka for wells

StepsInSC
02-24-2004, 11:12 PM
I'm sure its been mentioned in earlier threads, but that picture of him whitesox.com always uses is classic. It reminds me of the episode of friends where Joey teaches a class how to act "like you've just heard bad news" in soap operas by trying to divide 433,343,234,632 by 18 in his head.

CubKilla
02-24-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by soxfan2425
wasnt that bonehead deal sirotka for wells

That trade actually benefitted the White Sox more than the Blue Jays. But when dealing w/KW's boneheaded deals, one specific bad deal is just the tip of the iceberg.

SoxFanSince67
02-24-2004, 11:24 PM
I have been on the side of Williams. Yes, some of his trades have been disasters, but still, I liked his aggressive approach. However, I was disappointed to hear of his confrontation attitude displayed at Soxfest and this is making me re-evaluate my overall opinion of him.