PDA

View Full Version : Life after BALCO

npdempse
02-24-2004, 11:40 AM
As expected, the radically smaller players have started reporting to camp--

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-giambipg,0,2848311.photogallery?coll=ny-sports-big-pix

Pics 9 & 10 are of the new, Bruce Banner-sized Giambi-hulk.

Can't wait to see Sammy.

Rex Hudler
02-24-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by npdempse

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-giambipg,0,2848311.photogallery?coll=ny-sports-big-pix

Can't wait to see Sammy.

The thing I don't get is people seem to be lost on the fact that players can and do bulk up without steroids. Not everyone who is musclebound is juicing. Steroids help you get there faster by allowing your muscles to recover faster, therefore taking less time to build mass. But a guy still has to work in the gym and work hard. It's not like steriods are a magic solution that will make a guy turn into Lou Ferrigno while sitting on the couch.

Even if a guy stopped using steroids, as long as he continues to work hard, he is not going to lose major muscle mass. If he stops working out or changes his workouts, then he could lose lean muscle tissue whether he was juicing before or not.

SEALgep
02-24-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
The thing I don't get is people seem to be lost on the fact that players can and do bulk up without steroids. Not everyone who is musclebound is juicing. Steroids help you get there faster by allowing your muscles to recover faster, therefore taking less time to build mass. But a guy still has to work in the gym and work hard. It's not like steriods are a magic solution that will make a guy turn into Lou Ferrigno while sitting on the couch.

Even if a guy stopped using steroids, as long as he continues to work hard, he is not going to lose major muscle mass. If he stops working out or changes his workouts, then he could lose lean muscle tissue whether he was juicing before or not. But be sure to recognize the muscle mass and physical performances in general are helped by steroids. Your natural ceiling as far as those characteristics are concerned are raised with the use of steroids. This won't end the use of steroids as all you have to do is cycle off within a certain time frame before the once a year testing so it isn't detected. In some cases that won't even be necessary because of the numerous cleansers out there. This isn't the end of people juicing. I'm not even necessarily opposed to it, but to assume it isn't going on is wishful thinking. It is here and has been so for decades, and every scientific advancement in the testing for it, will be countered with a scientific advancement of how to hide it.

Kittle
02-24-2004, 12:04 PM

Can't wait to see Sammy.

Heard on Mike & Mike this morning that Giambi claims to have only lost about 4 lbs. and he attributes that to "working out." Yeah, and maybe he stopped taking his "vitamins" as well.

What a bunch of B.S...

npdempse
02-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Kittle
Heard on Mike & Mike this morning that Giambi claims to have only lost about 4 lbs. and he attributes that to "working out." Yeah, and maybe he stopped taking his "vitamins" as well.

What a bunch of B.S...

There's a good column in Newsday about this as well. Folks around the clubhouse are figuring more like 20-25 pounds.

As to losing weight naturally, sure, nobody denies that's possible , but it's quite the coincidence he's lost all this weight right when all the scrutiny is focused on BALCo affiliated players like Giambi.

rahulsekhar
02-24-2004, 01:07 PM

Can't wait to see Sammy.

Holy crap! And here I drafted him over Richie Sexson in my fantasy league thinking he was a lock for 45HR & 120RBI in that lineup. He looks like Judge Reinhold for crissake!

SEALgep
02-24-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
Holy crap! And here I drafted him over Richie Sexson in my fantasy league thinking he was a lock for 45HR & 120RBI in that lineup. He looks like Judge Reinhold for crissake! Don't worry, after the testing, he'll blow up again. There is no way that the Yankees or himself will allow him to become just an average player. Just another thing to point out. This isn't a rule or anything, but a side affect to steroids are injuries. Something maybe Griffey could be linked with, along with Giambi.

Kittle
02-24-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Just another thing to point out. This isn't a rule or anything, but a side affect to steroids are injuries. Something maybe Griffey could be linked with, along with Giambi.

Hmmm... and how much time did Sammy miss with injuries last year?

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-24-2004, 04:32 PM
Man. His arms are huge in all of the pics except for the 2 new ones.

steff
02-24-2004, 05:00 PM
He looks "sick" in the ones from yesterday...

Foulke You
02-24-2004, 05:12 PM
I can't believe how dramatic the difference is. If you check out pic 6 in that link, he looks like Brock Lesnar from the WWE next to that BoSox player, and then you scroll over to pic 9 which is how he looks now...the difference is astounding. It certainly is suspicious. Only 4lbs Jason?? C'mon. More like 24 lbs.

MisterB
02-24-2004, 05:23 PM
Took two pix from that series and matched them up scale-wise and put them side by side for easier comparison. No way he only lost 4 lbs.

Jason Giambi '04 vs. '02

steff
02-24-2004, 05:29 PM
He looks yellow. Like he has jaundice or something... :?:

StepsInSC
02-24-2004, 05:47 PM
He went from fat to not fat. Looks like something that could be done easily with a normal cutting diet.

ozzman
02-24-2004, 06:15 PM
as my coworker said after seeing the side by side picture "it's either steroids or aids"

Irishsox1
02-24-2004, 06:34 PM
I don't think he looks that much thinner. Yes he has lost weight and yes his fat head thinned out, which is always weird. However, Giambi and his brother are big guys. To me, the two worst and obvious transformations were Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa. Both were skinny, fast and had bursts of power. They transform into massive body builders that cant run well but have loads of power. Both of those guys were the worst I've ever seen.

soxwon
02-24-2004, 06:46 PM
wait till some moron cubs fan says- what about that Big Skirt Frank Thomas- hes gotta be on roids!!!
its gonna happen

da reverand
LOW EXPECTATIONS YIELD HIGH VALUE
(da revs quote on 2004 white sox)

StepsInSC
02-24-2004, 07:08 PM
It just looks like he's lost a lot of fat, he's still a big dude. I don't think thats 100% indicative of roids.

With discipline, the right diet, and help from trainers (which obviously they can afford) its very possible to put on large amounts of lean mass and take off fat quickly. I'm not trying to say he for sure never did the stuff, but this is hardly conclusive evidence.

beckett21
02-24-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
Holy crap! And here I drafted him over Richie Sexson in my fantasy league thinking he was a lock for 45HR & 120RBI in that lineup. He looks like Judge Reinhold for crissake!

Oops!!! :D:

Jerko
02-24-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
Took two pix from that series and matched them up scale-wise and put them side by side for easier comparison. No way he only lost 4 lbs.

Jason Giambi '04 vs. '02

It's the blonde hair. It's very slimming.