PDA

View Full Version : Couple thoughts...

czalgosz
09-08-2001, 01:05 AM
First, I will chime in on the Royce vs. Valentin argument...

Royce OPS - .718
Manos OPS - .866

(I apologize if this has been posted, I have fallen far behind on this board and did not have time to read all of the 100+ posts on the subject).

Despite how close their BAs are, Valentin is clearly, far and away the better hitter. He is also a better baserunner. However, Clayton is more steady at short.

Clayton is finishing up the season with very similar numbers to what he had last year. Despite his gaudy .264 average (very good considering the start that he had) he is still not a good hitter. He does not hit with enough power to justify his .312 OBP. However, the Sox did not pick him up for his bat, and I remind everyone that Aaron Myette was not a huge loss for the Sox.

If the question is if we have to make a choice between Clayton and Manos, I pick Manos, errors and all. I do like Clayton, however, and seeing as how we have no viable options in the minors at short, I'm all for keeping them both for next season.

Secondly, with Boston and Minnesota both losing, the Sox are now in a virtual 4-way tie for second in the Wild Card race. Not that that means anything (they're 11 games back, after all) but it's quite an accomplishment after being 14-29.

That said, I'm only upgrading my prediction for the Sox's final record by a couple games - to 83-79 to finish the season. A couple weeks ago, I looked at the schedule, and saw who they have left to play. So far the Sox have won one game that I expected them to to lose (against Cleveland last week) and lost one game that I expected them to win (when they got swept by Oakland). The Sox have 21 games left - 6 against New York, 6 against Minnesota, 6 against K.C., and the remaining 3 against Cleveland.

My prediction -

1-2 the remainder of this series
2-4 against New York
3-3 against Minnesota
4-2 against K.C.

That may seem pessimistic, but I'm going off the Sox track record against good teams, which is not good at all. 83-79 will be something of an accomplishment, given the horrible start and the string of injuries, but it won't be anything to write home about.

But on a happier note, The Sox won with Rocky Biddle on the mound tonight, so anything's possible, right?

doublem23
09-08-2001, 01:22 AM
I'd say for the rest of the season:

Cleveland: 2-1
Yankees: 3-3
Minnesota: 4-2 (they suck now)
Kansas City: 5-1
TOTAL: 14-7

Perhaps I'm an optomist, but this leaves the Sox with a final record of 87-75. Not bad, considering our start, but we will finish in 2nd by 5 games:

Cleveland > 92-70
WHITE SOX > 87-75, -5
Minnesota> 81-81, -11
Detroit > 65-97, -27
Kansas City > 63-99*, -29

*I can't bring it to myself to predict them 100 losses

What could have been... What could have been....

FarWestChicago
09-08-2001, 01:24 AM
What could have been... What could have been....

:hitless

If I would have been played more we would be in front of Seattle!

czalgosz
09-08-2001, 01:33 AM
:hurt

Does anyone remember me? where would we be if I was playing?

CLR01
09-08-2001, 01:34 AM
"Protecting me in the line-up, Skirt."

czalgosz
09-08-2001, 01:41 AM
That's it, our 2002 Opening Day lineup -

1. SS Clayton
2. 2B Clayton
3. DH Thomas
4. 1B Clayton
5. RF Clayton
6. 3B Clayton
7. LF Clayton
8. C Charles Johnson (A bone to all you Johnson piners out there)
9. CF Clayton

Hey, it would be a waste to DH me with my glove...

CLR01
09-08-2001, 01:43 AM
Can he pitch??? If he can we can trade all of our pitchers to Seattle for a couple thousand of Ichiro's bats. Those things come from an enchanted forest you know, Imagine what Royce could do with one of those babies.

FarWestChicago
09-08-2001, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz
That's it, our 2002 Opening Day lineup -

1. SS Clayton
2. 2B Clayton
3. DH Thomas
4. 1B Clayton
5. RF Clayton
6. 3B Clayton
7. LF Clayton
8. C Charles Johnson (A bone to all you Johnson piners out there)
9. CF Clayton

Hey, it would be a waste to DH me with my glove...

Czal, Royce has a point. Why would you waste an AB on the Skirt?

czalgosz
09-08-2001, 01:44 AM

Hey man, it doesn't matter if I can pitch with this "D" behind me...

czalgosz
09-08-2001, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

Czal, Royce has a point. Why would you waste an AB on the Skirt?

It's a PA, not an AB... I figure Thomas will walk, and then Royce'll jack one! Guaranteed two runs!

Hey man, I'm not walking and ruining a chance to increase my awesome BA!!!

CLR01
09-08-2001, 01:47 AM
Well by pitching i mean can get get it through the strike zone? Even for a man of Royces abilities it would be pretty difficult to get out of an inning and win if he is walking everyone.

czalgosz
09-08-2001, 01:51 AM
Even for a man of Royces abilities it would be pretty difficult to get out of an inning and win if he is walking everyone

Man, everyone gets on my case!! I'm playing 7 defensive positions, I'm pitching, and you want me to throw strikes, too? You Sox fans are impossible to please...

CLR01
09-08-2001, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Even for a man of Royces abilities it would be pretty difficult to get out of an inning and win if he is walking everyone

Man, everyone gets on my case!! I'm playing 7 defensive positions, I'm pitching, and you want me to throw strikes, too? You Sox fans are impossible to please...

I am so sorry Royce. I was not thinking, we can just let the other team hit off of a tee. You would still have to stand on the mound to field the pitchers spot, and that would mean playing 8 defensive positions. But i know you can do it.

czalgosz
09-08-2001, 02:03 AM

8 defensive positions? No prob. Besides, I gotta protect my labrum...

Jerry_Manuel
09-08-2001, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by CLR01
I am so sorry Royce. I was not thinking, we can just let the other team hit off of a tee. You would still have to stand on the mound to field the pitchers spot, and that would mean playing 8 defensive positions. But i know you can do it.

Couldn't you just play pitchers hand? Where the fielder (Royce) has to field the ball and throw it back to the pitcher (Royce) before the runner gets to the base.

CLR01
09-08-2001, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Couldn't you just play pitchers hand? Where the fielder (Royce) has to field the ball and throw it back to the pitcher (Royce) before the runner gets to the base.

You know Jer, that might not be such a bad idea. And when Royce is batting, MLB will have to set up special rules saying any intentional walk to Royce will result in a one year suspension and forfeiture of all future earnings to The Choice Foundation. Also any pitcher that throws a ball that comes within 6 inches of Royce (even if he is standing on home plate) will result in the player getting kicked out of baseball for good, any stats on file being erased so there is no prove of him ever playing (family members that played pro ball will also get stats/records wiped out), loss of all past earnings, and immediate jail time.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-08-2001, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

This wouldn't be even remotely fair to the other team. Besides Royce's superior hitting, baserunning, and durability, it would be simply impossible for the other team to get a hit if all nine position players were Royce Clayton and pitcher's hand out rules with silky Royce acting as pitcher.

It would be beyond the limits of the physical universe for even the '27 Yankees to beat such a team!