PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle to start season opener

Patrick134
02-24-2004, 12:10 AM
Esteban Loaiza passed on the change to start the season opener for the Chicago White Sox to repay a favor to Mark Buehrle, who gave up his final start last season for Loaiza.

I think it was real class and real unselfish," new White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said Monday. "They treat each other like professionals. They treat each other with respect. Having that in the third day, the fourth day of spring training, it shows me the character of these kids. It shows me that we have something nice going right now here and, hopefully, it will keep up all year."

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1742555)

Jjav edit: Please don't post full articles. A link to the article along with select excerpts will do. Thanks.

ChiSox14305635
02-24-2004, 12:36 AM
A couple of teams have already chosen their Opening Day pitchers right away. I know the Astros and Indians have as well.

Anyway, great gesture by Estaban to let Mark take the ball for Opening Day.

Fisk Fan
02-24-2004, 08:28 AM
I have to agree. We need more team players like this............

Brian26
02-24-2004, 12:33 PM
I saw that in the paper today as well. It's a super move by Loaiza. Hopefully Buehrle will finally get to start a game at Yankee Stadium too.

Foulke You
02-24-2004, 12:34 PM
Nice to hear stuff like that. Isn't Buehrle also itching to pitch at Yankee Stadium? Being the Opening Day starter would put him on track to pitch the finale of the NYY series I think.

Fungo
02-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Nice to hear stuff like that. Isn't Buehrle also itching to pitch at Yankee Stadium? Being the Opening Day starter would put him on track to pitch the finale of the NYY series I think.
Don't you mean pitch for the sweep of the NYY series?

34 Inch Stick
02-24-2004, 01:04 PM

Please do not bring up Buhrle not pitching in Yankee stadium. It brings up many bad memories.

Why do I not hear word of the Sox negotiating an extension with Loiza. Now that the offseason is over this should be a priority for KW.

ChiSox65
02-24-2004, 01:11 PM

I think we should save him for the first game of the next series.
I'm sure he would bring his "A" game.

"Say ello to my li'il friend.............">>>>> :D: