PDA

View Full Version : Aww, crap! Julie Swieca resigned from the Score:


ChiSox14305635
02-23-2004, 10:46 PM
Just saw it on J-Hood's website.


There goes another Sox ally on the airwaves. I hope she resurfaces on another station.

Jerko
02-23-2004, 10:47 PM
I hope she resurfaces on a space station.

DrCrawdad
02-23-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
Just saw it on J-Hood's website.


There goes another Sox ally on the airwaves. I hope she resurfaces on another station.

Any word why? I enjoyed her show. Maybe she'll land on ESPN AM1000 and they'll ditch some of that lame network stuff or dump Moronetti.

Jjav829
02-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Mariotti's new co-host? You never know...

Jerko
02-23-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Mariotti's new co-host? You never know...

Great, he can diss the Sox all day and she could hang up on their fans. The one time I listened to her near the end of last season, she was defending JM, so her credibility is shot in my eyes. That may have been the worst radio I've heard in a long time. Anybody who uses the "logic" that JM was a wonderful manager because there are " 3 million people in the city who don't have his job" is a joke. Her 'fans' were even worse. They would agree with anything she said because they thought she was "hot". Maybe one of them finally swept her off her feet and "took her away" from all this.

pudge
02-23-2004, 11:04 PM
I don't know where the hot thing even started, I guess people have different standards of hot... I could care less about that, I just didn't think she brought anything to the table. Much like the recently departed Teddy G of the Trib Sox Beat, Julie spent a lot of time in the clubhouse as a reporter and probably felt "sorry" for poor ol' Jerry Manuel... that kind of "journalism" is downright pathetic. JM deserved no defense, and he was fired as a result. She'll probably resurface somewhere - it's amazing how much shelf-life the lousy talent in Chicago tv/radio has.

Rocklive99
02-23-2004, 11:11 PM
I thought something was up after she said Score management would only let her talk about the Maddux signing after it happened that night. I remember a Cub fan calling in trying to compliment the Sox by saying they can win their division, and Julie said something like "I can't answer that tonight, Score Management says I can't talk about that. I'll have to talk about it tomorow." I remember someone jagging Score management the next day for making Julie talk about Maddux

RichFitztightly
02-23-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
I hope she resurfaces on a space station.

Dude, you owe me for a new key-board as I just spit a mouthful of Pilsner all over it.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-23-2004, 11:20 PM
That sort of blows. She sounded pretty ticked off though when the people at the score said maddux talk only. I used to listen to JHood and Tommy williams when they were on at late night since I turn on my radio when I'm in bed but I don't do that anymore since it's all cubs tlak anyway. Is JHood a cubs fan now? I was listening to him during the weekend and he was praising how it was the cubs year this year.

ChiSox14305635
02-23-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
That sort of blows. She sounded pretty ticked off though when the people at the score said maddux talk only. I used to listen to JHood and Tommy williams when they were on at late night since I turn on my radio when I'm in bed but I don't do that anymore since it's all cubs tlak anyway. Is JHood a cubs fan now? I was listening to him during the weekend and he was praising how it was the cubs year this year.



Listening to them, it sounds like all of them have swallowed the Cubbie kool-aid (maybe with the exception of Swieca, Boers/Bernstein).

MetalliSox
02-23-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Any word why? I enjoyed her show. Maybe she'll land on ESPN AM1000 and they'll ditch some of that lame network stuff or dump Moronetti.

I used to work with a friend of hers. He said when they moved her to late nights, she was pissed. She hates working til 1am then having to go right back a few hours later on some days and doesn't get paid that well for it.
If this is the reason she left, who knows?

pudge
02-24-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by MetalliSox
I used to work with a friend of hers. He said when they moved her to late nights, she was pissed. She hates working til 1am then having to go right back a few hours later on some days and doesn't get paid that well for it.
If this is the reason she left, who knows?

That would be a pretty darn good reason... I'm sure she got paid peanuts. Sounds like this one is on the Score, what a bunch of losers.

ChiSox14305635
02-24-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by pudge
That would be a pretty darn good reason... I'm sure she got paid peanuts. Sounds like this one is on the Score, what a bunch of losers.


With what they pay North, I'm surprised they can afford any of them.

petekat
02-24-2004, 12:54 AM
too bad she left. She was always fair to callers, well reasoned, and supported the Sox to boot! She had some great insights on the Twins too= about what a-holes Pierzynski and Mientkiewicz were. Let's hope she ends up on ESPN, or maybe one of the news stations (720 with Waddle and Kaplan?)

crector
02-24-2004, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
Just saw it on J-Hood's website.


There goes another Sox ally on the airwaves. I hope she resurfaces on another station.


On what basis do you call her a Sox fan? I've heard other folks say that, and I'm puzzled by that. Now, I only started listening to her last September, but I haven't heard anything much from her that made me think that she was a Sox fan. For instance, she was against any of the Sox winning either the MVP or Cy Young on the grounds that since the team did not make the playoffs, then nobody on the team deserved those honors. Fair enough. However, she soon came to strongly support Halladay for the Cy and A-Rod for the MVP even though their teams did not make the playoffs either. What the Hell kind of reasoning is that? On Loaiza, she also said that since he blew some of his starts, he did not deserve the Cy. Halladay blew some of his starts too. It just seemed like she was groping for a reason, any reason, to oppose a Sox player getting honored. She even criticized Loaiza receiving the AL Comeback Player award.

Likewise, when Cubs GM Hendry ever did anything, she always hailed it as being "putting the pieces together" which was the phrase that Offman used too. She praised Hendry as being the single best Chicago sports GM even though he hasn't upgraded his team anywhere near as much as Houston GM Hunnsicker has done on a smaller payroll than the Cubs. For what its worth, she came across as a raging Cubs fan.

Having said all that, it could be that I had discovered here earlier, then I would have heard her support the Sox. It could also be she was forced by station mgmt to take this pro-Cubs approach too. If so, that could be the reason why she resigned and also why Hood has all of a sudden taken on this Cubbie tack as well.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Mammoo
02-24-2004, 02:47 AM
Good riddance!

frontrunner3
02-24-2004, 03:06 AM
I for one will miss Julie. Not simply for the fact that she was definitely more biased towards the sox rather than towards the cubs but also simply because she devoted much of her air time to baseball in general. Her sunday morning shows for instance were usually 80-90 percent baseball talk. It was refreshing to have a true diehard baseball fan as a talk show host rather than a blow-hole like alot of the other hosts are. Anyways I hope she goes on to bigger and better things.

dpbyron
02-24-2004, 03:25 AM
Score Management strikes again! They are morons!

First Grobber, then Tommy and now Julie!

DrCrawdad
02-24-2004, 05:36 AM
...Julie Swieca resigned Monday after 10 years at WSCR-AM (670), capping a dispute with her bosses over editorial control of her show...It could be quite a while before Swieca resurfaces on the air here. Despite her sudden departure, she remains under contract to the Infinity Broadcasting station for some time.

LINK (http://www.suntimes.com/output/feder/cst-fin-feder24.html)


From what I understand, the "editorial control" dispute centered on SCORE management wanting Julie to be all Cubbie/Maddux love all the time. If that is true, which I believe it is, I guess it's admirable for her taking a principled stand. Too bad it cost her her job.

hose
02-24-2004, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by frontrunner3
I for one will miss Julie. Not simply for the fact that she was definitely more biased towards the sox rather than towards the cubs but also simply because she devoted much of her air time to baseball in general. Her sunday morning shows for instance were usually 80-90 percent baseball talk. It was refreshing to have a true diehard baseball fan as a talk show host rather than a blow-hole like alot of the other hosts are. Anyways I hope she goes on to bigger and better things.


That's why I liked Julie's show , lots of baseball talk.

I hope she catches on with AM 1000.

jabrch
02-24-2004, 06:23 AM
Grobber? Any thoughts?

Sad
02-24-2004, 07:16 AM
Julie was most definitely a SOX fan but also like myself did not buy into the crosstown urination contests between fans and wouldn't have it on the air...

I will sorely miss her Sunday morning show :(:

wdelaney72
02-24-2004, 07:49 AM
Although she used to get a little to giggly on her NFL show, I liked Julie. She made no bones about being a Sox fan, yet I thought gave Cubdom plenty of credit and respect.

She was one of the better personalities on that station, even though I know that doesn't say a whole lot.

When are those talentless hacks Murph and Fred gonna get let go? Their show is unlistenable.

Dick Allen
02-24-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by crector
On what basis do you call her a Sox fan? I've heard other folks say that, and I'm puzzled by that. Now, I only started listening to her last September, but I haven't heard anything much from her that made me think that she was a Sox fan. For instance, she was against any of the Sox winning either the MVP or Cy Young on the grounds that since the team did not make the playoffs, then nobody on the team deserved those honors. Fair enough. However, she soon came to strongly support Halladay for the Cy and A-Rod for the MVP even though their teams did not make the playoffs either. What the Hell kind of reasoning is that? On Loaiza, she also said that since he blew some of his starts, he did not deserve the Cy. Halladay blew some of his starts too. It just seemed like she was groping for a reason, any reason, to oppose a Sox player getting honored. She even criticized Loaiza receiving the AL Comeback Player award.

Likewise, when Cubs GM Hendry ever did anything, she always hailed it as being "putting the pieces together" which was the phrase that Offman used too. She praised Hendry as being the single best Chicago sports GM even though he hasn't upgraded his team anywhere near as much as Houston GM Hunnsicker has done on a smaller payroll than the Cubs. For what its worth, she came across as a raging Cubs fan.

Having said all that, it could be that I had discovered here earlier, then I would have heard her support the Sox. It could also be she was forced by station mgmt to take this pro-Cubs approach too. If so, that could be the reason why she resigned and also why Hood has all of a sudden taken on this Cubbie tack as well.

Just my 2 cents worth. From the information on the bio page on the Score website, she is definitely a Sox fan.

poorme
02-24-2004, 08:46 AM
I admire her for quitting, but I couldn't stand listening to her. She couldn't handle it when someone disagreed with her.

Jerko
02-24-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by poorme
I admire her for quitting, but I couldn't stand listening to her. She couldn't handle it when someone disagreed with her.

And if someone DID disagree with her, all the callers on hold for the next half hour would diss that person and just tell her how wonderful she was and she'd be sittin there giggling away like a moron. Real compelling "sports" talk. She may be a nice person and a Sox fan, but maybe I can tune back into the score at night now since I vowed never to listen to her again after the one and only time I DID have the "pleasure" of catching her show. It's BS that she was told what to say on the air, but I'm glad "SHE GONE!"

poorme
02-24-2004, 08:59 AM
One Sunday morning last fall, some caller disagreed with her and she started CRYING....seriously her voice was cracking and she was sniffling and the update guy broke in and tried to make her feel better.

Viva Magglio
02-24-2004, 09:34 AM
I heard Julie rant last week over the Maddux thing. I generally did not have a problem listening to her show, but there were times she got very preachy when things didn't go her way. I think the biggest Julie moment came when she was covering the Sox game in 2001 when Jerry Manuel left Keith Foulke in too long and the Yankees came back from three runs down to win the game. At her 10:00 update, she said "P*** poor managing by Jerry Manuel...!!!!!!"

Jerko
02-24-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I heard Julie rant last week over the Maddux thing. I generally did not have a problem listening to her show, but there were times she got very preachy when things didn't go her way. I think the biggest Julie moment came when she was covering the Sox game in 2001 when Jerry Manuel left Keith Foulke in too long and the Yankees came back from three runs down to win the game. At her 10:00 update, she said "P*** poor managing by Jerry Manuel...!!!!!!"

And then when CALLERS complained about JM, after 2 extra years of making the SAME type of mistakes, she stuck up for him, basically calling any Sox fan who disagreed with him "unintelligent" because we didn't have his job. Well, Bill Gates doesn't have my job; that doesn't mean he can't do it better than I can. She'll wind up on CLTV where we'll get stuck seeing her as well as listening to her.

Kilroy
02-24-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
Just saw it on J-Hood's website.


There goes another Sox ally on the airwaves. I hope she resurfaces on another station.

What's the url for J-Hood's web site?

Northside fan
02-24-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Jerko

She'll wind up on CLTV where we'll get stuck seeing her as well as listening to her. [/B]

LMAO! Not exactly two good choices.

my5thbench
02-24-2004, 11:38 AM
Julie was absolutely a Sox fan... I have listened to her for
years & she was very well reasoned....as far as praising
Hendry for the job he has done for the Cub, guess what,
she was right he has done one helluva' job assembling
their roster for this season.

I don't like praising that team any better than any other
Sox fan does but I must give them their due, they are
among the favorites to win the national league due to
the moves that Hendry has made.

all of that aside go go SOXXXXXXXXXXXX
& long live Julie Sweicka, she is terrific

Mammoo
02-24-2004, 11:47 AM
That's why I liked Julie's show , lots of baseball talk.

I hope she catches on with AM 1000.

That's all she knew. When she strayed from baseball, it was laughable.

pudge
02-24-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by my5thbench
Julie was absolutely a Sox fan... I have listened to her for
years & she was very well reasoned....

I think a few people around this site know her personally, and I knew her briefly too.... She's definitly a Sox fan. Unfortunately, that didn't make her good at sports radio... But still, I have a lot of respect for her standing up for her beliefs.

ChiSox65
02-24-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
I hope she resurfaces on a space station.

I hope she resurfaces on my lap!!

duke of dorwood
02-24-2004, 12:21 PM
She actually talked sports on her show, that alone alienated her from the other crap 670 puts on the air. She was the only show I listened to there. My break is now clean.

ChiSox14305635
02-24-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
What's the url for J-Hood's web site?


J-Hood's website (http://www.jhoodonthescore.com)


Though I'm not sure if it's still there.

Grobber33
02-24-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Grobber? Any thoughts?

I ALWAYS have thoughts, as for this,,I will keep most of my thoughts to myself for now other than to say.....I will NEVER celebrate anyone losing their job and I wont in this case,even tho one Person was jumping for joy when I lost mine in July 2001.

crector
02-24-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Grobber33
I ALWAYS have thoughts, as for this,,I will keep most of my thoughts to myself for now other than to say.....I will NEVER celebrate anyone losing their job and I wont in this case,even tho one Person was jumping for joy when I lost mine in July 2001.


Take it that Julie Swieca was that "one Person jumping for joy"?

poorme
02-24-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by crector
Take it that Julie Swieca was that "one Person jumping for joy"?

That was the intended inference.

34 Inch Stick
02-24-2004, 02:36 PM
Was she happy that you lost your job or that she finally got a full time on air gig? I don't remember her having a bad word for you Les. Since you were there I'll take your word for it. It's hard to believe Julie Swieca has a dark and hidden side.

Palehose13
02-24-2004, 02:48 PM
I liked her mostly because as stated before she stuck to sports talk unlike many other hosts on that station. Yes, she was very baseball biased, but that is my favorite sport so I had no problem wiht that at all. As far as her getting pissy when people disagreed with her...don't they all do that? Boers and Bernstein are horrible at handling that and belittle the callers. North just hangs up. I can't explain her defending JM. Maybe she was trying to stir something up like North was doing with the "Save Jauron" mission.

harwar
02-24-2004, 02:50 PM
Julie grew up (and still is)a die-hard White Sox fan.She is extremely passionate about baseball and thats comes across during her broadcasts.She will be sorely missed and we will especially miss her sunday morning baseball shows.

jabrch
02-24-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Grobber33
I ALWAYS have thoughts, as for this,,I will keep most of my thoughts to myself for now other than to say.....I will NEVER celebrate anyone losing their job and I wont in this case,even tho one Person was jumping for joy when I lost mine in July 2001.

That's classless behavior on anyone's part - cool that you take the high road Les.

btw - congrats - your boys in blue have a fairly complete team assembled. As much as it pains me to say this, 100 wins and a playoff spot are reasonable - meanwhile the Sox will struggle to win 81 games.

poorme
02-24-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
That's classless behavior on anyone's part - cool that you take the high road Les.

Wouldn't the high road have been to leave out the information intended to make Sweica look bad?

kittle545feet
02-24-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by crector
Take it that Julie Swieca was that "one Person jumping for joy"? i thought julie didn't like working nights 'cause she had to be back early on some days. i'll take les word on it though.

Lip Man 1
02-24-2004, 07:29 PM
I spoke with a trusted source on this issue since I've never heard her. (None of the Chicago sports station are available on the Internet.)

Here is the reply:

"Plenty of people at the Score are singing 'Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead!" today. For those that think she's gonna land at ESPN AM 1000, that will happen when Pigs Fly or the enitre staff turns-over. One person there already told management (back before she renewed her contract at WSCR) that if they even THINK of hiring her,they would make just about the entire staff unhappy.

She has many enemies."

Just for what it's worth.

Lip

Viva Magglio
02-24-2004, 07:46 PM
Now that both Harvey Wells and Julie Swieca are gone, would the Score be open to re-hiring Les? Or are there still people there making that concept unrealistic?

Jerko
02-24-2004, 08:24 PM
I don't think Les would WANT to go back. I don't want to go back to MY old office and I left there because I got promoted, not fired. I can't imagine Les wanting to go back unless it was under completley new management.

Sad
02-25-2004, 07:55 AM
Palehose you nailed it re: Boers & "Better than Thou" Bernstein

I have reached the point I can no longer listen to them condescending jackasses without it souring my mood :angry: ...

people that disagree with them are generally responded to by no response (dead air or the HUH? soundbyte) or them citing "imaginary radio" or the banjo music routine... etc.

I anxiously await the day they are canned and will rejoice :gulp:
I was hoping J-Hood might be considered for a daytime slot...

soxtalker
02-25-2004, 10:21 AM
I'll miss her. I really liked having her in that late night slot, and, although I usually only caught the end of her Sunday show, I kept wishing that I'd tuned in earlier.

I like baseball talk FAR more than that about any other sport, and, as others have pointed out, Julie had that bias. The never-ending discussions of terrible Bears, Bulls, and Blackhawks teams seemed pointless. We had some debating of trades, but I would have welcomed more analysis of our minor league system and discussins of ther teams' issues. Baseball is information-rich, yet we tend to get too much of the sound-bite versions. Witness the latest frenzies around Frank and Sammy.

It's too bad if the reports of her many enemies on the stations are true, but that doesn't really change how much I enjoy listening to her or other shows.

As for her defense of JM, well, let's just say that I viewed it as an interesting perspective; there were plenty of people giving the other side.

Hangar18
02-25-2004, 11:48 AM
I will DEARLY Miss Julie. I liked what she had to say,
and she Often times went on a limb. Which is MORE than I can
say about the rest of the Lazy Chicago Media (bradpalmer can remove himself from this list now)
Hope Julie winds up at AM1000

TommyJohn
02-25-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Wouldn't the high road have been to leave out the information intended to make Sweica look bad?

Good point.

kittle42
02-25-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Sad
Palehose you nailed it re: Boers & "Better than Thou" Bernstein

I have reached the point I can no longer listen to them condescending jackasses without it souring my mood :angry: ...


Too jackassey?

Brian26
02-25-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Too jackassey?

Boers makes Rob Goldman look normal.

batmanZoSo
02-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Great, he can diss the Sox all day and she could hang up on their fans. The one time I listened to her near the end of last season, she was defending JM, so her credibility is shot in my eyes. That may have been the worst radio I've heard in a long time. Anybody who uses the "logic" that JM was a wonderful manager because there are " 3 million people in the city who don't have his job" is a joke. Her 'fans' were even worse. They would agree with anything she said because they thought she was "hot". Maybe one of them finally swept her off her feet and "took her away" from all this.


You're right. But the funny thing is, she's not really that hot. For a chick on sports radio, maybe.

Jerko
02-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
You're right. But the funny thing is, she's not really that hot. For a chick on sports radio, maybe.


I don't think she's hot either, that's why I put it in quotes. I guess I can't blame her for the fact that 90 percent of her audience probably only had one hand on the phone when they called her if you get my drift.

kittle42
02-25-2004, 10:53 PM
Why can't a woman do anything without a discussion of whether the woman is hot? (I am guilty of this, too, so maybe I am a hypocrite)

Stupid America.

Jerko
02-26-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
Why can't a woman do anything without a discussion of whether the woman is hot? (I am guilty of this, too, so maybe I am a hypocrite)

Stupid America.

Let me say that I only heard her show once and it was after JM blew another game and I admit, I was in a bad mood to start with. I tuned her in because the game had just ended and I was in such a bad mood I wanted to hear what other Sox fans thought about how the game was blown. Well, the first caller ripped JM with some valid points, she ripped the first caller with some stupid argument , and EVERY other guy that was on hold at the time or called in after that did nothing but rip the first caller, basically repeating everything she said. She spent the rest of the show being "ogled" by these guys; giggling like a schoolgirl when they all told her how great she was and telling everyone how they could all get a picture of her. NOBODY TALKED ABOUT THE GAME!!!!! If she's gonna use her "looks" to get followers, then I am gonna question her "followers" for liking her because of her "looks". Now like I said, that may not be all her fault, but she didn't do anything to stop it either and I just don't think she knows what she's talking about half the time for being as close to the team as her job allowed her to be. If I want to listen to 1000 guys who know nothing about baseball drool over some chick I'd go to a Cub game.

34 Inch Stick
02-26-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Why can't a woman do anything without a discussion of whether the woman is hot? (I am guilty of this, too, so maybe I am a hypocrite)

Stupid America.

Hot trumps everything else! If they aren't hot there is an equally qualified guy without a job who could fill the position.

It's like when Homer used the analogy of the ice cream sundae to describe gambling on football. You like ice cream but you like it even more with chocolate sauce on it.