PDA

View Full Version : If Baines had good knees...

A. Cavatica
02-23-2004, 09:12 PM
...would he be on his way to the Hall of Fame? I'm assuming that he won't make it now, since his case primarily rests on longevity.

If he'd never had the knee injury, I think he'd be a lock. He'd have showcased that cannon for many more seasons in right, he'd have a higher career batting average, and more extra-base hits as well.

Even with the injury, if he'd been the DH for some championship Yankee teams, I think he'd make it.

I'm too lazy to look up the exact quote, but when Baines was a kid, Bill Veeck said something like "He's on his way to Cooperstown...he just stopped by Comiskey to play right field for 20 years." Veeck wasn't far off. It's a tribute to the man (and the DH rule) that he had the type of career that he did.

Daver
02-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Baines will probably be the one of the few players with over 1500 RBI to not make the hall.

Don't even get me started on the low opinion I have of the HOF and the way that it is voted for.

duke of dorwood
02-23-2004, 09:41 PM
The fact that he played here most of the time would have hurt. He would have been good enuf to get in sans injuries. AND no steroids

WinningUgly!
02-23-2004, 09:45 PM
If he had not lost almost one full season due to players' strikes during his productive years, he easily would have reached the 3,000-hit and 400-home run marks. That alone might have been enough to get him in the HOF.

ode to veeck
02-23-2004, 09:53 PM
being a 100 shy of 3000 hits could make the difference, unfortunately for Harold

idseer
02-23-2004, 11:07 PM
i remember the quote by veeck. i also remember watching a yankee game some years back when baines had only been up 4 ot 5 years (we got all the yankee games back then here in pa).
i also remember phil rizzuto who announced the games at the time laughing and making a comment, when his partner (i forget who) mentioned the quote, about that not being likely in a very flippant way. i've hated that jerk ever since. it really bugs me that this underserving average shortstop who IS in the hall for some ridiculous reason would make a comment like that about someone he had no clue about and whose jockstrap he couldn't have carried!
if baines ever does make it (and i sincerely hope he does) i will find rizzuto's grave and do a little jig on it in the name of one harold baines!

sas1974
02-23-2004, 11:13 PM
It seems he put up those numbers in relative obscurity. He is so soft spoken. He just went out there and did his job. Maybe if he was more of an arrogant, loud mouthed jerk he would have a better shot.

PS-Is that picture of Jon Rauch creeping anyone else out? I feel like he's staring into my soul. Maybe I've just had too many :gulp:

WinningUgly!
02-23-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
It seems he put up those numbers in relative obscurity. He is so soft spoken. He just went out there and did his job. Maybe if he was more of an arrogant, loud mouthed jerk he would have a better shot.

PS-Is that picture of Jon Rauch creeping anyone else out? I feel like he's staring into my soul. Maybe I've just had too many :gulp:

That's the same intimidating look that will help him dominate hitters all through out the league this year! :gulp:

sas1974
02-23-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
That's the same intimidating look that will help him dominate hitters all through out the league this year! :gulp:

Let's hope so, my man!

Brian26
02-24-2004, 12:37 PM
On the Sons of Sam Horn board, Schilling had a great story about how, when he first came up, he thought he could beat Baines on the outside corner since Baines seemed to be standing twelve feet off the plate. Baines promptly deposited the next outside fastball into the centerfield bleachers in Baltimore.

Lip Man 1
02-24-2004, 01:20 PM
Winning says: " That will help him dominate hitters all through out the league this year! "

Which league? major, or (more then likely) minor

Lip

mike squires
02-24-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
On the Sons of Sam Horn board, Schilling had a great story about how, when he first came up, he thought he could beat Baines on the outside corner since Baines seemed to be standing twelve feet off the plate. Baines promptly deposited the next outside fastball into the centerfield bleachers in Baltimore.

Good story Brian, but I don't know how many times I saw Harold K while reacing for that outside pitch pulling his head or watching it as it crossed the black stripe of the plate. I always thought he stood too far away.

WinningUgly!
02-24-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Winning says: " That will help him dominate hitters all through out the league this year! "

Which league? major, or (more the (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/t/then-than.html)n likely) minor

Lip
Maybe both. :D:
I know you're just bitter about the Sox not landing Rick Helling. :)

Lip Man 1
02-24-2004, 08:24 PM
If Helling does for the Twins this year what Rogers and Suppan did for their team's last season ALL Sox fans will be regretting it.

Lip

Brian26
02-24-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Good story Brian, but I don't know how many times I saw Harold K while reacing for that outside pitch pulling his head or watching it as it crossed the black stripe of the plate. I always thought he stood too far away.

But it was such a beautiful thing when Baines would hit that low, outside pitch the opposite way and crank it into the leftfield bleachers at old Comiskey.

mike squires
02-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
But it was such a beautiful thing when Baines would hit that low, outside pitch the opposite way and crank it into the leftfield bleachers at old Comiskey.

This is true...

Man, if we would just had some pitching in those crappy 80 years. With guys like Baines, Kittle (although injury prone) walker, Fisk...We could have had some much better years.

Brian26
02-25-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
This is true...

Man, if we would just had some pitching in those crappy 80 years. With guys like Baines, Kittle (although injury prone) walker, Fisk...We could have had some much better years.

I think we had good pitching. The bats seemed to go into hibernation at the worst times though. Kittle was pretty much done after the '84 season.