PDA

View Full Version : Skip Bayless hints at Sosa's steroid use

depy48
02-23-2004, 05:15 PM
On tonight's episode of sportscenter, Bayless pointed out only three current major league baseball players that definatly need to be questioned as a result of their accomplishments. I'm sure Bayless believes that other players are using steroids. But he pointed out Bonds, Sosa, and Mark McGuire. I dont think anyone on these boards doubts Sosa's steroid use.

ChiSox14305635
02-23-2004, 05:38 PM
They might as well add Giambi to that list.

pearso66
02-23-2004, 05:40 PM
I was confused, how is McGuire a current player? did someone pick him up?

depy48
02-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
I was confused, how is McGuire a current player? did someone pick him up?

McGuire's acheivements as a player...
i'm sorry

ode to veeck
02-23-2004, 07:07 PM
I thought it was well documented that Mark McG used precursors that were legal at the time (later part of his career)

cheeses_h_rice
02-23-2004, 07:16 PM
Can I add the following to the list?

Jason Giambi
Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio
Gabe Kapler
Brady Anderson
Bret Boone

Kittle
02-23-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Can I add the following to the list?
Bret Boone

Yeah, didn't Boone suddenly double his career high in HRs a few years ago? I'll bet that he claims it's all due to weightlifting...

poorme
02-23-2004, 07:30 PM
Boone was the most obvious ever. He gained about 100 pounds.

santo=dorf
02-23-2004, 07:33 PM
Luis Gonzalez. That guy on the D-Backs is not the same guy who was once on the Astros and Tigers. Anyone else wondering how Jay Bell had a 38 HR year in 1999?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/stats_historical/cws_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=110826

poorme
02-23-2004, 07:41 PM
The DH on the Angels from last year who's name escapes me at the moment....

Jjav829
02-23-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
Luis Gonzalez. That guy on the D-Backs is not the same guy who was once on the Astros and Tigers. Anyone else wondering how Jay Bell had a 38 HR year in 1999?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/stats_historical/cws_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=110826

If Luis Gonzalez is on steroids, then every player in baseball is. Have you ever even seen him? He's a toothpick.

Add to the questionable list:
Eric Hinske
Larry Walker

They both showed up "in better shape" after taking the offseason to try a new "conditioning regimen."

ChiSox65
02-23-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
If Luis Gonzalez is on steroids, then every player in baseball is. Have you ever even seen him? He's a toothpick.

Add to the questionable list:
Eric Hinske
Larry Walker

They both showed up "in better shape" after taking the offseason to try a new "conditioning regimen."

I'm not buying Larry Walker.........he plays in Colorado and never set any crazy home run record.............compare his home/road stats, big difference.

santo=dorf
02-23-2004, 08:08 PM
http://www.hotlistrookies.com/images/gonzalez567bgs9.5.jpg

Can't copy this pic (http://www.luisgonzalez.net/Images/WorldSeries2001/images.php?command=display&template=1&image=http://www.luisgonzalez.net/Images/WorldSeries2001//NY6171218202.JPG&descpath=/home/sites/www.luisgonzalez.net/web/Images/WorldSeries2001//NY6171218202.txt&directory=/home/sites/www.luisgonzalez.net/web/Images/WorldSeries2001/)

A. Cavatica
02-23-2004, 08:18 PM
Gabe Kapler? Why Gabe Kapler?

santo=dorf
02-23-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica

Sox fans only know him because he KILLS the White Sox.

poorme
02-23-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica

you ever seen him without his shirt on?

duke of dorwood
02-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Kapler bulked up out of nowhere. What about Mike Cameron?

Jjav829
02-23-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox65
I'm not buying Larry Walker.........he plays in Colorado and never set any crazy home run record.............compare his home/road stats, big difference.

Well, with his constant injuries it does warrant some suspicion. Basically though, anyone who shows up smaller (Walker is 30 pounds lighter) is going to get some attention. I can't wait to start seeing some pictures of some of these guys like Giambi, Sosa, Boone, etc. We're about to get hit with a ton of crap from guys talking about how they've recommitted themselves this offseason and decided to slim down. Luckily for some of these guys, they have a built in excuse. They suffer injuries from the steroids, so the convenient excuse is there that they decided to lose some weight in hopes of staying healthy. Giambi has started talking about how he took weight off because of his knee. Larry Walker said something similar. Keyword "Increased flexibility". Walker is throwing that around as the reason for losing weight and I imagine many will follow. Suddenly he now wants to get back to stealing bases. The signs are there. I don't know whether he took steroids or not, but all the signs would seem to point to it.

santo=dorf
02-23-2004, 09:18 PM
jjav829, what do you think of the pics I posted of Gonzalez? That pic I see of him holding his arms up reminds me of Stone Cold Steve Austin (yes, I'm watching RAW right now.)

http://bossc351.stangnet.com/ausblood.gif

Jjav829
02-23-2004, 09:28 PM
jjav829, what do you think of the pics I posted of Gonzalez? That pic I see of him holding his arms up reminds me of Stone Cold Steve Austin (yes, I'm watching RAW right now.)

http://bossc351.stangnet.com/ausblood.gif

Yeah I see the pics. In the main one you were posting on that page, he looks pretty pumped up, but in the upper left picture he doesn't seem as big. It might be a little exaggerated since he has his arms up. I still can't say I believe he is on roids. I see where you are coming from. Here's another picture from the 2001 season (http://www.thediamondangle.com/archive/oct01/arz/gonzo.jpg) . You can't see his upper arms, but his lower arms don't seem to match with the picture you posted. Here (http://www.tristarproductions.com/PhotoGallery/PrivateSignings/July_01/Gonzalez4.jpg) is a picture from earlier in 2001 at an autograph. It's hard to find a picture of his upper arms but he doesn't looked like he is on roids from this picture. In fact, from looking through a bunch of pictures I couldn't really find one that matches the one you posted. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place, but it would seem that maybe that picture is just exaggerated by the angle of his arms.

beckett21
02-23-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by poorme
The DH on the Angels from last year who's name escapes me at the moment....

You are thinking of Brad Fullmer. With his short fuse it sure could be a 'roid rage.

As far as some of the names that have been mentioned, I could see Boone and Giambi FOR SURE. Kapler I don't know. He has always been ripped as far as I can remember, and to my knowledge he is a weightlifting freak. Actually the muscle probably stunted his growth as a player; there is such a thing as being too muscular--limits his flexibility on his swing. I doubt Walker, Hinske, Biggio or Luis Gonzalez, my guess would be they are clean. Bagwell I don't know. He did hang out with Caminiti.

The guy I always thought was juiced was Nick Johnson, he of the Herman Munster forehead. Just look at his head. Kevin Mench is another one. It's a fun debate, but not really fair to the players. It is fun to speculate though.

Hangar18
02-23-2004, 09:39 PM
.......And the winner of the Captain Obvious Award goes to.....
(tears open Envelope) SKIP BAYLESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

santo=dorf
02-23-2004, 09:47 PM
:clueless
"Thank you, Thank you. Be sure to check out more of my mind-numbing ranting on 'Rome Is Burning.'"

sas1974
02-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Brad Fulmer. Not that the results were there...

What about Willie Harris?

RichFitztightly
02-23-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by beckett21

Kapler I don't know. He has always been ripped as far as I can remember, and to my knowledge he is a weightlifting freak. Actually the muscle probably stunted his growth as a player; there is such a thing as being too muscular--limits his flexibility on his swing.

I'm pretty sure Kapler did a segment on This Week in Baseball where he took a pop steroid test to show that he was clean. There was another guy there too, I want to say Shawn Green but I can't remember for sure. Kapler, though, I'm about 90% sure was featured.

beckett21
02-23-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by RichFitztightly
I'm pretty sure Kapler did a segment on This Week in Baseball where he took a pop steroid test to show that he was clean. There was another guy there too, I want to say Shawn Green but I can't remember for sure. Kapler, though, I'm about 90% sure was featured.

Thanks, I seem to remember that now that you mention it. He was with the Tigers at the time IIRC.

Fungo
02-23-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
The guy I always thought was juiced was Nick Johnson, he of the Herman Munster forehead. Just look at his head. Kevin Mench is another one. It's a fun debate, but not really fair to the players. It is fun to speculate though.
Supposedly, Kevin Mench has one of the biggest heads in the Majors. It's in the 8's!! That's a huge melon. I wear an even 7. Back in college I tried on a guy's 7 5/8 and was swimming in it. An 8 is just unbelievable. Back to the steroids, Sofa and Bonds without a doubt. Probables...Kapler, Bagwell, Giambi and how about our very own Valentin?

santo=dorf
02-23-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Fungo
Supposedly, Kevin Mench has one of the biggest heads in the Majors. It's in the 8's!! That's a huge melon. I wear an even 7. Back in college I tried on a guy's 7 5/8 and was swimming in it. An 8 is just unbelievable. Back to the steroids, Sofa and Bonds without a doubt. Probables...Kapler, Bagwell, Giambi and how about our very own Valentin?

I have a size eight head. Are you trying to imply I do steroids? That Roney or Rodney pitcher on the Tigers has a 8 and 1/4 size. According to Jayson Stark, that's the largest in the majors.

Fungo
02-23-2004, 10:47 PM
I have a size eight head. Are you trying to imply I do steroids? That Roney or Rodney pitcher on the Tigers has a 8 and 1/4 size. According to Jayson Stark, that's the largest in the majors.
Not at all. I've played alot of baseball as I'm sure most of us here have and I've never seen a guy with an 8 before. 7 5/8 is the largest I've seen.

santo=dorf
02-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Fungo
Not at all. I've played alot of baseball as I'm sure most of us here have and I've never seen a guy with an 8 before. 7 5/8 is the largest I've seen.

No, no, no. I used teal for sarcasm. Like this; I think JR is a great owner, and Cub fans know their baseball.

Fungo
02-23-2004, 10:57 PM
No, no, no. I used teal for sarcasm. Like this; I think JR is a great owner, and Cub fans know their baseball.
I gotcha. I had "Not at all" in teal, but changed it. I already felt bad cause I implied you had a big head. More room for the rocks to rattle around in right?

ChiSox14305635
02-23-2004, 10:57 PM
Jeff Bagwell

I don't know about Bagwell. He looks to be about the same size now as when he first joined the 'Stros.

Brian26
02-24-2004, 12:41 PM
I saw Barry Bonds on television this morning, and he looks to be as big as he was last year. Supposedly Giambi has slimmed down though. Things should be quite interesting very soon.

sas1974
02-24-2004, 04:47 PM
I saw Giambi in Vegas in November and he looked slimmer in person than I would have imagined. Of course the camera does add 10lbs.

steff
02-24-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by poorme
you ever seen him without his shirt on?

Ewwwuuu.. no.

steff
02-24-2004, 04:54 PM
I don't think Cameron ever used 'roids. He's too much of a health nut - borderline vegetarian.

daveeym
02-24-2004, 04:55 PM
Anyone ever see Frank in public or out at the clubs? He looks 30 lbs lighter with probably a 36 inch waist. Looks half the size that he does on tv or in a uniform.

steff
02-24-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by daveeym
Anyone ever see Frank in public or out at the clubs? He looks 30 lbs lighter with probably a 36 inch waist. Looks half the size that he does on tv or in a uniform.

Did you mean 36" legs?? :D: He's easily 44 in the waist.

joecrede
02-24-2004, 05:03 PM
Rowand, Lee, Valentin, and Koch I'd imagine might draw some suspicion due to their physiques.