PDA

View Full Version : what ever happened to lorenzo barcelo?

yadosoxfan
02-23-2004, 04:03 PM
anyone know if lorenzo barcelo is still playing baseball and where? the name kinda got lost a few years back, but i always liked his stuff. just wondering as i was considering the sox 5th spot in the rotation

ChiSox14305635
02-23-2004, 04:06 PM
Last I heard, he was back in the Giants minor league system. Man, another player that Pawtucket Gammons hyped to no end that didn't pan out. I'm praying for Jeremy Reed and Kris Honel that his jinx doesn't rub off on them either.

thepaulbowski
02-23-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
Last I heard, he was back in the Giants minor league system. Man, another player that Pawtucket Gammons hyped to no end that didn't pan out. I'm praying for Jeremy Reed and Kris Honel that his jinx doesn't rub off on them either.

He's had multiple surgeries on shoulder and/or arm. One of them being Tommy John surgery, I believe.

maurice
02-23-2004, 05:52 PM
Barcelo was with the Giant's AAA affilliate in 2003, before being placed on the disabled list in June. I don't know what happened to him since then.

WinningUgly!
02-23-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Barcelo was with the Giant's AAA affilliate in 2003, before being placed on the disabled list in June. I don't know what happened to him since then.

The Giants released Lorenzo Barcelo from AAA Fresno on Jul. 10, 2003.

ode to veeck
02-23-2004, 08:04 PM
Barcelo was a solid relief guy for us a couple of years back, but he's had way too many surgeries on his shoulder to think he'd be effective again

Brian26
02-24-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
Barcelo was a solid relief guy for us a couple of years back, but he's had way too many surgeries on his shoulder to think he'd be effective again

Didn't we get him in the white flag trade, too? Another reason that trade turned out to be a total wash, if not failure, even from a talent level. The PR was obviously a disaster.

Lip Man 1
02-24-2004, 01:06 PM
According to then GM Ron Schueler Caruso and Barcelo were the 'keys' (direct quote) to the deal.

Caruso was gone in three years, Barcelo only really contributed in 2000. In fact of the six players received (Foulke, Howry, Manning and Vining being the other four) NONE ever made even one All Star team while in a Sox uniform. Two (Manning & Vining) never spent one day in the major leagues with the Sox.

Some deal eh? You are correct Brian. The PR devestated the franchise both locally and nationally. (Who could forget Joe Morgan's comments on Baseball Tonight or the lead story in the following week's Sports Illustrated...)

Lip

hold2dibber
02-24-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
According to then GM Ron Schueler Caruso and Barcelo were the 'keys' (direct quote) to the deal.

Caruso was gone in three years, Barcelo only really contributed in 2000. In fact of the six players received (Foulke, Howry, Manning and Vining being the other four) NONE ever made even one All Star team while in a Sox uniform. Two (Manning & Vining) never spent one day in the major leagues with the Sox.

Vining had a cup of coffee with the Sox.

Some deal eh? You are correct Brian. The PR devestated the franchise both locally and nationally. (Who could forget Joe Morgan's comments on Baseball Tonight or the lead story in the following week's Sports Illustrated...)

I could. Could you refresh my memory?

Also, does anyone know what San Francisco did with the draft choice(s) it received when Alvarez and Hernandez left S.F. after the '97 season, just out of curiosity?

Lip Man 1
02-24-2004, 01:34 PM
You're right about Vining. he appreared in 8 games in 2001 with an ERA of almost 18! I don't know how I missed that...sorry.

As far as the White Flag, Morgan's remarks etc. you might enjoy reading this:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=1528

Lip

poorme
02-24-2004, 01:36 PM
Ken Vining gave up perhaps the longest HR in history (McGwire).

Brian26
02-24-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
You're right about Vining. he appreared in 8 games in 2001 with an ERA of almost 18! I don't know how I missed that...sorry.

As far as the White Flag, Morgan's remarks etc. you might enjoy reading this:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=1528

Lip

Talk about opening a can of worms....

:D: