PDA

View Full Version : Josh Stewart might be the best option at the 5th starter spot


MRKARNO
02-23-2004, 01:31 PM
On a new article posted on www.whitesox.com , it says that Wright and Stewart seem to be the leading contenders for the 5th spot. Wright was a total disaster and stewart appears to be one if you look at his 5.96 ERA. But if you look past that and look at the game log, you will see that he had one awful start which contributed to this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?statsId=7107

In his first four starts, he held his own and pitched well, positng a 3.68 ERA over 21 innings. I think that he was hit with a line drive and got hurt in that 4th start against the O's. In his 5th start, he gave up 8 ER in 3 2/3 innings, dramatically raising his ERA to the 5.96 ERA that he finished the year with.
If he is healthy and can pitch like he did in his first 4 starts, he very well could and should make the rotation as a 5th or even 4th starter.

I really think that he could be the no. 1 candidate for the 5th starter spot and I hope he can pitch like he did before he was set off track by that injury.

fuzzy_patters
02-23-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
On a new article posted on www.whitesox.com , it says that Wright and Stewart seem to be the leading contenders for the 5th spot. Wright was a total disaster and stewart appears to be one if you look at his 5.96 ERA. But if you look past that and look at the game log, you will see that he had one awful start which contributed to this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?statsId=7107

In his first four starts, he held his own and pitched well, positng a 3.68 ERA over 21 innings. I think that he was hit with a line drive and got hurt in that 4th start against the O's. In his 5th start, he gave up 8 ER in 3 2/3 innings, dramatically raising his ERA to the 5.96 ERA that he finished the year with.
If he is healthy and can pitch like he did in his first 4 starts, he very well could and should make the rotation as a 5th or even 4th starter.

I really think that he could be the no. 1 candidate for the 5th starter spot and I hope he can pitch like he did before he was set off track by that injury.

I like Josh Stewart's guts. He reminded me of Mike Sirotka last year. He is not afraid of the bat which is probably the biggest thing that hinders young pitchers.

ChiSox14305635
02-23-2004, 01:35 PM
I'm just glad he's able to pitch again. After that line drive shot he took, I heard some people say he may never pitch again. If he can take that 5th starter's spot, good for him.

CubKilla
02-23-2004, 01:36 PM
It's gonna be a long season if #4 is Schoenweiss and if #5 is Wrong/Stewart.

SEALgep
02-23-2004, 01:43 PM
Stewart's a good guy and pitcher, but it makes sense for him to spend some time back in the minors to log in some more innings, because of his injury. Wright is going to be working out of the pen. On the mlb website, it didn't even have Rauch and Grilli as options, and they are the favorites, along with several other wild cards. Don't take a lot of stock into what other people (media) are saying. Coop and Guillen will decide based on how guys perform. The hungriest guy with the skills to back it up will win the job, and that's just fine by me.

fuzzy_patters
02-23-2004, 01:45 PM
Stewart has the stones and Wright has the stuff. I wish they could perform a lobotomy and swap their brains.

ChiSox14305635
02-23-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Stewart's a good guy and pitcher, but it makes sense for him to spend some time back in the minors to log in some more innings, because of his injury. Wright is going to be working out of the pen. On the mlb website, it didn't even have Rauch and Grilli as options, and they are the favorites, along with several other wild cards. Don't take a lot of stock into what other people (media) are saying. Coop and Guillen will decide based on how guys perform. The hungriest guy with the skills to back it up will win the job, and that's just fine by me.


I agree. By this time last year, MLB didn't even know who Josh Stewart was. Heck, for all we know, Rauch could get the 4th spot, and Diaz could get the 5th. I like the options, and I say, may the best man win........and win........and win........and win.....

lowesox
02-23-2004, 01:52 PM
Let's face it guys, for this team to start moving forward we need the 4 and 5 spots to be taken up by guys with the most potential who are major league ready.

If Rauch and Grilli can win those two spots this team will be in much better shape for 2004 and 2005.

ma_deuce
02-23-2004, 01:58 PM
I like Cotts. He may be young, but he showed a lot of guts last year. If Stewart doesn't hold water by midseason, he would be a good pick.

Deuce

lowesox
02-23-2004, 02:03 PM
I think Cotts got rushed a little bit because Kenny was trying to prove that he didn't get fleeced in the Koch/Foulke trade. I think he could use another half year in the minors.

maurice
02-23-2004, 02:19 PM
I wish Stewart all the best. He started off 2003 very strong, and the difficulty he had recovering from that injury was pretty scary. However, Cotts has much better stuff than Stewart. Cotts will improve his control during spring training and return to the rotation after a short stint at Charlotte. These are the kind of breaks the Sox will need to win 88 games.

Frater Perdurabo
02-23-2004, 02:22 PM
Didn't Wright have a double-digit win total several seasons ago? What happened?

wdelaney72
02-23-2004, 02:39 PM
Frater,

You bring up a great point. Yes he did win 14 games 2 years ago. I've had this argument with FledgedRallyCap many times.

His 14 win season is nothing to get excited about. Most of those wins came late in the season when they were already out of the division race. He was the beneficiary of A LOT of run support for many of those games. He may have won 14 games, but he didn't look very good while doing it.

Danny Wright can't throw strikes. Period. I've seen enough of him. I'd much rather see Stewart or Cotts.

Cotts, by the way, an alum of the Illinois State University Redibirds. Yeah!

Huisj
02-23-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
On a new article posted on www.whitesox.com , it says that Wright and Stewart seem to be the leading contenders for the 5th spot. Wright was a total disaster and stewart appears to be one if you look at his 5.96 ERA. But if you look past that and look at the game log, you will see that he had one awful start which contributed to this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?statsId=7107

In his first four starts, he held his own and pitched well, positng a 3.68 ERA over 21 innings. I think that he was hit with a line drive and got hurt in that 4th start against the O's. In his 5th start, he gave up 8 ER in 3 2/3 innings, dramatically raising his ERA to the 5.96 ERA that he finished the year with.
If he is healthy and can pitch like he did in his first 4 starts, he very well could and should make the rotation as a 5th or even 4th starter.

I really think that he could be the no. 1 candidate for the 5th starter spot and I hope he can pitch like he did before he was set off track by that injury.

that game log chart is weird. along the left where the scores for each game are listed, they have the W's and L's wrong. Every game that the sox won is listed as a loss, and all the losses are listed as wins. Another sure sign that ESPN is evil.

anyways, his first 3 starts were decent, but they were also against detroit, detroit, and cleveland.

MRKARNO
02-23-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Huisj

anyways, his first 3 starts were decent, but they were also against detroit, detroit, and cleveland.

Considering we were 10-9 against Detroit this year, you really cant brush that aside as being nothing

SoxxoS
02-23-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Didn't Wright have a double-digit win total several seasons ago? What happened?

More often than not, he can't find the plate.

SEALgep
02-23-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Didn't Wright have a double-digit win total several seasons ago? What happened? He's been hurt, and that probably played into some control issues as a result.

Daver
02-23-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Didn't Wright have a double-digit win total several seasons ago? What happened?


:nardi


He couldn't grasp my coaching technique.

poorme
02-23-2004, 07:25 PM
Is there any evidence that Stewart is back to his pre-injury self?

batmanZoSo
02-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO


I really think that he could be the no. 1 candidate for the 5th starter spot and I hope he can pitch like he did before he was set off track by that injury.


I really liked him. Don't forget to factor in basic rookie jitters and a year of maturity and guile under his belt. He's a Jamie Moyer type. Guys like him can pitch forever...man I hope he pans out.

Brian26
02-24-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by wdelaney72
Danny Wright can't throw strikes. Period. I've seen enough of him. I'd much rather see Stewart or Cotts.


Although Cotts was wild in his last two starts, he did show signs of excellent command and poise earlier. Stewart did a nice job for us earlier in the year. I can't think of any good outings from Wright last year that left us with a good taste in our mouth.

jeremyb1
02-24-2004, 01:21 PM
The problems with Stewart are that we're talking about an incredibly small sample size, his starts were against weak clubs (even if Detroit beat us often last season they didn't score against us), his numbers in AA in '02 weren't all that impressive, he's coming off a lot of time without pitching.

SoxxoS
02-24-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
The problems with Stewart are that we're talking about an incredibly small sample size, his starts were against weak clubs (even if Detroit beat us often last season they didn't score against us), his numbers in AA in '02 weren't all that impressive, he's coming off a lot of time without pitching.

Agreeed.I personally don't think, even when healthy, Stewart is a major league pitcher.

For me, I either want the fifth spot to go to Rauch or Cotts. I am not a big fan of anyone else.

IlliniSox
02-24-2004, 03:49 PM
This is five months ago, but I got to talk to Stewart in a bar in Boston after the Friday night game. I asked him how the injury was, but he said he was actually battling an illness (I chose not to probe any further), but he just looked sick, nothing like he looked on the mound in his starts. Unless he's put a little meat back on, I wouldn't count on that body taking the abuse of a full season. --FINE girl with him though, kudos Josh...

Rex Hudler
02-24-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by IlliniSox
This is five months ago, but I got to talk to Stewart in a bar in Boston after the Friday night game. I asked him how the injury was, but he said he was actually battling an illness (I chose not to probe any further), but he just looked sick, nothing like he looked on the mound in his starts. Unless he's put a little meat back on, I wouldn't count on that body taking the abuse of a full season. --FINE girl with him though, kudos Josh...

The ball hitting him caused the onset of a circulatory disease. The illness caused circulation problems that kept him from getting proper bloodflow to his fingers, which made them numb. Obviously, not having all of the feeling in your fingers affects his ability to pitch.

They say the condition can correct itself, but there is no guarantee. My guess is the Sox are taking a wait and see approach this spring. If he regains complete feeling in his hands, then it is likely he will be able to pitch again. Then, the question becomes, how well?

MisterB
02-24-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Agreeed.I personally don't think, even when healthy, Stewart is a major league pitcher.

For me, I either want the fifth spot to go to Rauch or Cotts. I am not a big fan of anyone else.

Stewart at least had four ML starts (pre-injury) where he compiled an ERA under 4 (even if they were lower division teams), which is more than Cotts was able to do. Cotts had two good games against the Rangers and two absolute horrorshows where he couldn't find the strike zone with a GPS reciever and a laser sight. If Stewie's healthy, I'd say he's done enough to be given another shot. Cotts needs to get his head and mechanics together before getting into a ML rotation.

Rex Hudler
02-24-2004, 07:43 PM
I believe Stewart has (or had) a condition called Raynaud's Phenomenon. Here is a link to more info......

WebMD - Raynaud's Phenomenon (http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/hw180983.asp?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348})

PaulDrake
02-24-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
It's gonna be a long season if #4 is Schoenweiss and if #5 is Wrong/Stewart. This is so obvious. It is so important for Buehrle and Loiaza to be at the top of their game, and for Garland to finally show he can be counted on. Everybody talks about 2B, CF, C, etc and they are all potential problems. That being said the SP situation scares me the most. This team has to have everything fall into place in order to contend. There are holes all over the place. This was not the offseason to dilly dally around.

IlliniSox
02-25-2004, 10:14 AM
thanks for that, very interesting if he has circulatory problems in his hands.

Mickster
02-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
I believe Stewart has (or had) a condition called Raynaud's Phenomenon. Here is a link to more info......

WebMD - Raynaud's Phenomenon (http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/hw180983.asp?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348})

Rex,

I seriously doubt that Josh's injury has anything to do with him possibly having Raynaud's. They are not one and the same. Being hit by a line-drive certainly would not cause this "disease". My wife suffers from Raynaud's and it's onset is almost exclusively caused by cold temperatures. Not an issue in the summer at all.

Just my .02! :smile: