PDA

View Full Version : Dusty quite sensitive on the steroid issue:

ChiSox14305635
02-23-2004, 02:27 PM
I've been listening to Boers & Bernstein on the Score today, and they opened up their show about an interview Dusty Baker had today regarding steroid testing and apparently Baker got quite upset from a question Brad Palmer asked him about this steroid inquiry and the impact it would have on baseball. He got mad when asked about the cheating, and asked him if he ever cheated on his wife. Boers/Bernstein have been all over him all day about it.

I guess I could see why he would get so defensive. When the top 2 names being mentioned for steroids have/are playing under your watch, people would start to look at you.

Frater Perdurabo
02-23-2004, 03:15 PM
Gee, what a surprise...

Frater Perdurabo
02-23-2004, 03:16 PM
We Sox fans need to start writing the local and national media to give more ink to this important issue.

ChiSox14305635
02-23-2004, 03:17 PM
They also brought up Frank and the Sox addressing this issue last year. They said Frank's weight gain was natural weight gain that most people get as they get older.

Frater Perdurabo
02-23-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
They also brought up Frank and the Sox addressing this issue last year. They said Frank's weight gain was natural weight gain that most people get as they get older.

Frank was massive when he was drafted out of college.

Sammy Sosa was downright skinny when he was traded to the Sox from the Rangers. In addition to his weight and muscle mass gain, his head also has grown since his White Sox days. Name me an exercise that makes your head get bigger, and I will lay off Sammy and the steroid issue.

Iwritecode
02-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo

Sammy Sosa was downright skinny when he was traded to the Sox from the Rangers. In addition to his weight and muscle mass gain, his head also has grown since his White Sox days. Name me an exercise that makes your head get bigger, and I will lay off Sammy and the steroid issue.

I've read comments before about people saying that Shammy's head has gotten larger since he left the Sox. Now the growth in muscle mass is obvious but does anyone have any proof that his head has actually grown? Besides from his enormous ego I mean. Is that even physically possible? Is there actually muscle surrounding your skull?

IIRC, I once read that the human head stops growing around age 7 or 8.

ewokpelts
02-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I've read comments before about people saying that Shammy's head has gotten larger since he left the Sox. Now the growth in muscle mass is obvious but does anyone have any proof that his head has actually grown? Besides from his enormous ego I mean. Is that even physically possible? Is there actually muscle surrounding your skull?

if you take certain growth hormones, especially ones that are meant for dwarves/little people.....you stat to get the same side effects...mainly "midget head"...the head is trying to gain mass like the rest of teh body...but sonce it's more or less teh most "normal" part of a little person's body...it gets bigger at a different ratio...if u use it on a "normal" person...they will gain mass...but thier head starts to grow too.... look up sammy hat size over the years...that'll tell ya

Gene

CubKilla
02-23-2004, 03:38 PM
He got mad when asked about the cheating, and asked him if he ever cheated on his wife. Boers/Bernstein have been all over him all day about it.

I guess I could see why he would get so defensive. When the top 2 names being mentioned for steroids have/are playing under your watch, people would start to look at you.

What does Dusty's marriage and possible infidelity have to do with whether or not Barroid and ShamME do steroids? I'd be PO'ed if I was asked this by Brad Palmer. Each have nothing to do with the other.

But you beat me to the punch ChiSox about Baker managing two of baseball's most suspected, notorious juicers.

ChiSox14305635
02-23-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
What does Dusty's marriage and possible infidelity have to do with whether or not Barroid and ShamME do steroids? I'd be PO'ed if I was asked this by Brad Palmer. Each have nothing to do with the other.

But you beat me to the punch ChiSox about Baker managing two of baseball's most suspected, notorious juicers.

LOL, actually the marriage/infidelity question was posed by Dusty towards Brad Palmer. Also, after some more questioning, reporters (including George Ofman, alledgedly) were laughing about it.

ChiSox14305635
02-23-2004, 03:45 PM

Frank played TE at Auburn, so yeah, he's always been around that size. Sammy was a matchstick when he came up with the Rangers, and later, the Sox.

RichFitztightly
02-23-2004, 03:45 PM

There was some annecdotal evidence in Sports Illustrated, I'm pretty sure it was the Riley article where he ambushed Sham-me about taking a steroid test, where the writer said the equipment guy for the Giants had to give Barry progressively bigger caps leading up to his 70 homer season. The evidence was nothing concrete, but he used it as evidence that Barry was taking an HGH. Seeing as a head tends to stop growing after a certain amount of time.

faneidde
02-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by RichFitztightly
There was some annecdotal evidence in Sports Illustrated, I'm pretty sure it was the Riley article where he ambushed Sham-me about taking a steroid test, where the writer said the equipment guy for the Giants had to give Barry progressively bigger caps leading up to his 70 homer season. The evidence was nothing concrete, but he used it as evidence that Barry was taking an HGH. Seeing as a head tends to stop growing after a certain amount of time.
And of course Riley was crucified for asking Sammy to take that test. What a load of crap. Sosa swore up and down that he'd take the test if it were required, but when he had a chance to clear his name, he ran and hid. Its like an innocent man not wanting to take a DNA test, it just doesn't make sense.

santo=dorf
02-23-2004, 04:27 PM
Name me an exercise that makes your head get bigger, and I will lay off Sammy and the steroid issue.

How about comparing yourself to Jesus Christ to the media during a feud with your manager?

cheeses_h_rice
02-23-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by faneidde
And of course Riley was crucified for asking Sammy to take that test. What a load of crap. Sosa swore up and down that he'd take the test if it were required, but when he had a chance to clear his name, he ran and hid. Its like an innocent man not wanting to take a DNA test, it just doesn't make sense.

Sham-ME's defenders point out that, probably rightly, it is against the Players' Union rules to take the test like that.

But his reaction to Riley's offer was *very* telling, IMO. Not the words and bluster of an innocent man, in other words...

:)

RKMeibalane
02-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Sham-ME's defenders point out that, probably rightly, it is against the Players' Union rules to take the test like that.

But his reaction to Riley's offer was *very* telling, IMO. Not the words and bluster of an innocent man, in other words...

:)

I agree. If Sosa had nothing to hide, I don't see why he wouldn't have taken the test. His reaction provides clear proof of his guilt. It's only a matter of time before he gets caught, and the entire planet gets to see what a fraud he really is.

Huisj
02-23-2004, 05:09 PM

I highly doubt that. That would mean my little league hats would still fit me. my hat from my freshman year of high school doesn't even fit me anymore. little kids have small heads

ChiSox14305635
02-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I agree. If Sosa had nothing to hide, I don't see why he wouldn't have taken the test. His reaction provides clear proof of his guilt. It's only a matter of time before he gets caught, and the entire planet gets to see what a fraud he really is.

:nandrolone

A fraud? Ha! Nobody can stop me! I'm a gladiator! Jay, it's time to come kiss my can!

:moron

Yessir, right away sir! You're the absolute best! Did I mention that The Big Skirt sucks?

MarqSox
02-23-2004, 05:50 PM

My hat size has gone from 7 1/4 to 7 3/4 in the last 5 years, and unles someone's been slipping me something, I've not been on steroids. I did put on the Freshman 15 (OK, the Freshman 22) a few years ago, however.

pearso66
02-23-2004, 06:48 PM
I agree about the head size growing when you gain weight, my hat size inceased from a 7 1/4 to 7 1/2 but MarqSox, i have you beat by 2 times the weight my freshman year 4 years ago.

DrCrawdad
02-23-2004, 07:08 PM
If you haven't heard that Philosopher King Dusty press conference, you're really missing out on a perfect example of how much the local media are a bunch of Dusty ass-kissing sycophants. While Palmer was trying to ask a valid, reasonable question The Philosopher King Dusty was being a complete (butt) hole. So the local sycophants were laughing as The Philosopher King Dusty made a nasty turn the tables arguement on Palmer, just as the (butt) kissers were laughing when The Philosopher King pontificated about race last year.

George Offman, this guy is such a complete Cubbie kool-aid drinker. Offman has absolutely no credibility IMHO.

It's funny to me how things that are not even negative get turned spun negatively by the local media when it comes to the Sox. For example, consider how they've reported about Ozzie. None of the Sox players have complained about Ozzie (yet) but each report I've heard had to include reports about Ozzie using the "F" word. Give me a (freakin') break!

Jerko
02-23-2004, 07:11 PM
You think Dusty is bad, what will he be like when little Darrin shows up at ball boy camp at 5 foot 10 and 210 pounds.

Viva Magglio
02-23-2004, 07:20 PM
LOL, actually the marriage/infidelity question was posed by Dusty towards Brad Palmer. Also, after some more questioning, reporters (including George Ofman, alledgedly) were laughing about it.

I heard all of this today, and those reporters were giggling like little girls. Now suppose Ozzie snapped at Brad Palmer the way Dusty did today. You can bet the media would flog Ozzie's arse up and down the streets of Tucson and back again. See, it's all cutsey if Cubbie Dusty does it. But Ozzie doing it is yet another example of how mean-spirited White Sox baseball is.

mantis1212
02-23-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I heard all of this today, and those reporters were giggling like little girls. Now suppose Ozzie snapped at Brad Palmer the way Dusty did today. You can bet the media would flog Ozzie's arse up and down the streets of Tucson and back again. See, it's all cutsey if Cubbie Dusty does it. But Ozzie doing it is yet another example of how mean-spirited White Sox baseball is.

Well yes, but if Ozzie takes us to within 5 outs of the world series this year, he'll probably be able to pull that stuff next year...

Hangar18
02-23-2004, 11:12 PM
I meant to Post something on this subject. KUDOS to boers and berns for doing sometning the Chicago MEdia refuses to do.
FOLLOW A STORY. The Cub Loving Media is so interested in the bartman ball, Fab5 stories, what Maddux likes to use on the 5th hole, and where Prior chooses to live in the Offseason,......THEY FORGET THERES A STORY UNFOLDING. DUSTY KNEW BONDS WAS CHEATING.....AND SAID NOTHING. Nice guy huh?

Jerko
02-23-2004, 11:27 PM
Did you see the Bonds interview on espnnews I think it was? He was asked why nobody hit 50 homers last year, (after avoiding the steroid question) and he said "the balls are softer" and could not keep a straight face to save his life. I know it was all tongue and cheek but I am more convinced now than ever (and I was 99.9999 convinced before) that he and Scammy are the 2 worst roiders. Then they had Giambi on with his "new skinny body" and he said it was from busting his butt in the weight room. I never knew lifting weights made your arms smaller. I just hope they follow through with trying to rid the game of steroids instead of just trying to joke it away. Integrity of baseball my ass. If I was asked if I took steroids and didn't, I would not be joking about it, I would be pissed off that somebody actually accused me of that and I would want to take a test to prove them wrong. I guess we're never gonna know unless we see them doing it in person.

MarqSox
02-23-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
I agree about the head size growing when you gain weight, my hat size inceased from a 7 1/4 to 7 1/2 but MarqSox, i have you beat by 2 times the weight my freshman year 4 years ago.
A freshman 44? Yikes.

TommyJohn
02-24-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
How about comparing yourself to Jesus Christ to the media during a feud with your manager?

Oh, Puh-leeeeeze!!! That isn't half as bad as saying
that you "hardly ever" think of Jackie Robinson! Get your priorities
straight, man!!

TommyJohn
02-24-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by santo=dorf

That's it!! I've got it. There was a proposed movie about Sammy
Sosa a few years ago, in which he suggested that Denzel Wash-
ington play him. If it ever does get made, I have a perfect title:

"The Passion of the Sammy."

DrCrawdad
02-24-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
That's it!! I've got it. There was a proposed movie about Sammy
Sosa a few years ago, in which he suggested that Denzel Wash-
ington play him. If it ever does get made, I have a perfect title:

"The Passion of the Sammy."

Any of that self-flatulation? :)

Rex Hudler
02-24-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I meant to Post something on this subject. KUDOS to boers and berns for doing sometning the Chicago MEdia refuses to do.
FOLLOW A STORY. The Cub Loving Media is so interested in the bartman ball, Fab5 stories, what Maddux likes to use on the 5th hole, and where Prior chooses to live in the Offseason,......THEY FORGET THERES A STORY UNFOLDING. DUSTY KNEW BONDS WAS CHEATING.....AND SAID NOTHING. Nice guy huh?

Umm, the Chicago media did report on this......

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay24.html (Chicago Sun-Times)

Rex Hudler
02-24-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by faneidde

There is no way in hell I take that test if I were in Sammy's situation, steroids or not. When a reporter can challenge a player like that and the player reacts, all hell can break loose. The next time some idiot reporter throws out an accusation and a challenge and the player doesn't respond it makes him automatically guilty. Riley challenging Sammy to take a test was BS reporting.

If he asked a Sox player, this board and Sox fans would be in an uproar.

Kittle
02-24-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
There is no way in hell I take that test if I were in Sammy's situation, steroids or not. When a reporter can challenge a player like that and the player reacts, all hell can break loose. The next time some idiot reporter throws out an accusation and a challenge and the player doesn't respond it makes him automatically guilty. Riley challenging Sammy to take a test was BS reporting.

I disagree. I see your point about protecting the players' interest, but the players shouldn't be asking their union to protect them when they participate in illegal activities.

If it's OK to the media to call out owners like JR for lying to the fans, why shouldn't it be OK for them to call out players for lying to the fans as well?

Rex Hudler
02-24-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Kittle
I disagree. I see your point about protecting the players' interest, but the players shouldn't be asking their union to protect them when they participate in illegal activities.

If it's OK to the media to call out owners like JR for lying to the fans, why shouldn't it be OK for them to call out players for lying to the fans as well?

It would be like some reporter walking up to you on the street and challenging you to take a lie detector test because he thinks you committed a crime. You would tell the guy to piss off, as would I. All the reporter was doing is baiting him so he could get a better story. No one, ball player or you or me, none of us should have to deal with random people challenging us like that without any proof. This country is not built on mere suspicion.

Don't take this as me being against steroid testing, because that is the farthest thing from the truth. I think they should do random tests and they should be more strict than than they are now. But they have to be done in an organized fashion, with structure for everyone, not by some random writer with his own agenda behind it.

Jerko
02-24-2004, 12:02 PM
If I was being accused, for years, of being on steroids and KNEW I was clean, I would have taken the test on the spot; as long as I didn't have to piss in front of everybody. I get nervous that way............

Iwritecode
02-24-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
I highly doubt that. That would mean my little league hats would still fit me. my hat from my freshman year of high school doesn't even fit me anymore. little kids have small heads

Maybe they just meant the skull...

I'm not really sure. It was awhile ago when I read it and I don't remember where I read it either.

steff
02-24-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
DUSTY KNEW BONDS WAS CHEATING.....AND SAID NOTHING.

Not nice to slander/libel people...

Iwritecode
02-24-2004, 01:18 PM
Maybe they just meant the skull...

I'm not really sure. It was awhile ago when I read it and I don't remember where I read it either.

I just looked it up and found that it's around age 15 that the human head stops growing. Guess I was a few years off...

JC456
02-24-2004, 01:44 PM

If he asked a Sox player, this board and Sox fans would be in an uproar.

Sammy actually said he was steriod free and would take a test to prove it. Riley simply challenged his idiotic statement and said, okay then, prove it. Absolutely nothing wrong with someone responding to a challenge like that.

Also, a baseball player in a press conference is unlike me walking down the street. The player is already under a microscope, I would not be on the street. Comparing apples to oranges.

Kittle
02-24-2004, 01:57 PM
It would be like some reporter walking up to you on the street and challenging you to take a lie detector test because he thinks you committed a crime. You would tell the guy to piss off, as would I.

I understand what you're saying and agree to a certain extent, but JC's right. Sammy went on record saying that he was clean and then balked when Reilly gave him the chance to prove it.

If the players union had agreed to steroid testing years ago, their members wouldn't be in this situation. It's their own fault, IMO.

MRKARNO
02-24-2004, 06:01 PM
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/mlb/2003/0907/photo/g_baker_il.jpg
"Who am I? The FBI? I ain't the FBI. I'm not the DEA"

"It's like McCarthyism or something. They're looking to see who looks like a communist."

DrCrawdad
02-24-2004, 06:51 PM
I was wondering what our Cubbie fan friends were saying about this matter with Bonds & Dusty The Philosopher King. Funny thing is how many Cubbie fans are more than willing to say that Bonds is a steroids user, but refuse to point a finger at SamME and if one does say that they think Soso is a steroid user they condemn the poster as making a baseless accusation.

1997 36 HRs
1998 66 HRs

1993-1997 34 HRs avg
1998-2002 58.4 HRs avg
172% increase
In the 1998-2002 years SamME also went from a slim player to a bulked up player.

In SamME's defense, he's been pretty much injury free in his career unlike what you'd expect from a steroid user.

Palehose13
02-24-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
In SamME's defense, he's been pretty much injury free in his career unlike what you'd expect from a steroid user.
Except for the toe. Damn needles!!!