PDA

View Full Version : Very Important Key to the Season

WSox8404
02-23-2004, 01:14 PM
I think the most important key to this season is if Garland can finally pitch to his potential. We know that Mark will be good, and that Esteban should get at least 15-17 wins. Garland was so highly touted in the past. There must be something there that just hasn't come out yet. He has had moments in the past where he looked brilliant, but they quickly faded away. If he can deliver 15-17 wins, I think that we can win the division.

Mark 16-18 wins
Esteban 15-17 wins
Garland 15-17 wins

Total these and you get anywhere from 46-52 wins. Add in hopefully a combined 18 wins from 4 and 5 and you get close to 70. The bullpen will have about 10 to 15 so the total is close to 85. I think 85 wins will be enough to win the division this year.

hold2dibber
02-23-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by WSox8404
I think the most important key to this season is if Garland can finally pitch to his potential. We know that Mark will be good, and that Esteban should get at least 15-17 wins. Garland was so highly touted in the past. There must be something there that just hasn't come out yet. He has had moments in the past where he looked brilliant, but they quickly faded away. If he can deliver 15-17 wins, I think that we can win the division.

I agree Garland is a key, but I'm also worried about Buehrle (who has regressed each of the last two years) and I am not as confident as you about Esteban - I think he'll be good, but I wouldn't be shocked if he re-verted to pre-'03 form.

The starting pitching is extremely thin. If they don't get really strong performances out of all 3 of the top 3, they're sunk.