PDA

View Full Version : Bartman Ball's Execution

Viva Magglio
02-23-2004, 11:23 AM
Once again, our fair city is going to look buffoonish because the baseball that entered the realm of Steve Bartman is going to be executed Thrusday night. Of course, wouldn't Grant DePorter and the folks at Harry Caray's be violating the death penalty morotorium imposed by former Gov. George Ryan and currently upheld by current Gov. Rod Blagojevich? Maybe death penalty opponents (and anti-Cub White Sox fans) should stage a protest outside Harry Caray's Thursday night.

It's good that monies will be raised for juvinille diabetes, certainly. Otherwise, however, I cannot think of something more stupid than the hoopla surrounding the execution of this ball. Of course, the Cubbie-loving media will fall for this spectacle hook, line, and sinker. I am glad that I'll be missing this execution. I'll be wasting my time at the Gentile Center seeing if the Ramblers can hand Cleveland State (0-14 in the Horizon League) their first conference victory.

kittle42
02-23-2004, 11:42 AM
Hangar will be deeply disturbed by all this....

I was listening to Mariotti this morning as he was describing exactly what will be taking place Thursday. They have 13 cameras watching the ball right now. The Today Show will be there. They are getting a friggin' hotel suite for the ball. The ball will be ushered around Chicago in an armored van. I could go on, but my breakfast is coming up...

Northside fan
02-23-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

I am glad that I'll be missing this execution. I'll be wasting my time at the Gentile Center seeing if the Ramblers can hand Cleveland State (0-14 in the Horizon League) their first conference victory. [/B]

Don't worry, you will see plenty of replays on TV and tons of coverage in the newspapers the next day.

CubKilla
02-23-2004, 11:55 AM
Does anybody know how the ball is going to be "executed." Jesus..... this is beyond stupid.

While they're at it, maybe they could destroy AGon's glove at the same time.

Iwritecode
02-23-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla

It's funny that it takes a Sox fan to point that out... :D:

sas1974
02-23-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla

Now THAT is FUNNY! :D:

Baby Fisk
02-23-2004, 12:17 PM
What they don't understand is that the Bartman ball is merely an avatar of the Cubs curse, not the curse itself. Destroying the ball will have no effect. It's like plucking an apple from a tree and claiming you've cut the tree down. I'm descended from Balkan gypsies, so trust me on this.

WSox8404
02-23-2004, 01:06 PM
The Cubs are all about publicity. I bet you any money that the Cubs PR department could actually get away with a public execution of Bartman himself or the slaughter of thousands of innocent goats.

Baby Fisk
02-23-2004, 01:10 PM
They're doing it all wrong. Bartman is not the problem. They have to atone to the goats, not make them part of a spectacle. When I saw those idiots take a live goat to Houston to try and "transfer" the curse, I fell off my chair!

steff
02-23-2004, 01:14 PM
I hope the "curse" blows the fuse out... :D:

Also.. Henry.. if I see a crowd of Sox fans out there protesting.. I will hold YOU personally responsible. :angry:

santo=dorf
02-23-2004, 01:17 PM
They should burn down Wrigley to try and get rid of the losing tradition. They should also destroy the pitching arms of Farnsworth and Prior. Does anyone else here think that Sammy will show up (instead of showing up on time for spring training) and pocket some of the cork to see if it will give his bat some kind of magical power?

:thankgod

MarqSox
02-23-2004, 01:32 PM
In all seriousness, that ball is just as historic as any homerun Sammy Sosa's ever hit, and it belongs on permanent display in a museum.

Baby Fisk
02-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
[B]They should burn down Wrigley to try and get rid of the losing tradition.
You hit the nail on the head, Santo=dorf. (I just realized what your name means, LOL!)

Anyway, yes, the curse is on Wrigley itself. The goat was thrown out of Wrigley, and the curse applies there. Look at what happened in games 1-5 of the NLCS: Cubs on the verge of winning. Look at what happened in games 6-7 at Wrigley: disaster, mayhem and defeat. The goat roared! So long as the Flubs make their home in the friendly confines, they will be cursed.

The same thought applied to the Sox, ie. old Comiskey was home of the Black Sox. I don't believe the Sox are cursed anymore, they are just ****ed, as someone illustrated in a logo seen on WSI a few months back.

DSpivack
02-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
You hit the nail on the head, Santo=dorf. (I just realized what your name means, LOL!)

Anyway, yes, the curse is on Wrigley itself. The goat was thrown out of Wrigley, and the curse applies there. Look at what happened in games 1-5 of the NLCS: Cubs on the verge of winning. Look at what happened in games 6-7 at Wrigley: disaster, mayhem and defeat. The goat roared! So long as the Flubs make their home in the friendly confines, they will be cursed.

I can't decide if this is the Cubs curse, or it is just being on the North Side.

The Cubs last won in 1908... where I believe they played at [West Side Grounds? Unsure of the exact name] on the West Side.

As for the Sox...

Irishsox1
02-23-2004, 02:10 PM
The Bartman ball fits right into the Cubs image of being the loveable losers. They can have that image and thats fine with me. Anytime baseball mentions the biggest losers of all time, the Cubs and Red Sox are always mentioned, yet the White Sox never get mentioned yet are right there with them. We need something that we can blow up to help us get over last years collapse. Since Jerry Manual was fired, can we blow up the Twinkie Dome. That will make me feel better.

ChiSox14305635
02-23-2004, 02:11 PM
Omigod, the way Mariotti was hyping this event made me want to puke. Then, in typical Mariotti fashion, he stuck his foot deeper into his esophagus by saying Red Sox fans go to watch the games and cheer strictly for their team while some Cub fans think of it as a party atmosphere. Uh, Kotex Boy, if you wanted to see fans who go to cheer for their team and aren't there to be seen, you could've traveled 8 miles south and saved yourself the trouble. But where's the fun in that? Better hurry down to Mesa now; Sammy's arrived and he needs his can kissed.

cheeses_h_rice
02-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
Omigod, the way Mariotti was hyping this event made me want to puke. Then, in typical Mariotti fashion, he stuck his foot deeper into his esophagus by saying Red Sox fans go to watch the games and cheer strictly for their team while some Cub fans think of it as a party atmosphere. Uh, Kotex Boy, if you wanted to see fans who go to cheer for their team and aren't there to be seen, you could've traveled 8 miles south and saved yourself the trouble. But where's the fun in that? Better hurry down to Mesa now; Sammy's arrived and he needs his can kissed.

:moron

Thanks for the reminder, chisox!

RichFitztightly
02-23-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
We need something that we can blow up to help us get over last years collapse. Since Jerry Manual was fired, can we blow up the Twinkie Dome. That will make me feel better.

How about all of the West Coast. I'm sick of waiting for that earthquake to push 'em into the sea.

santo=dorf
02-23-2004, 04:02 PM
The Cubs were supposedly cursed in 1945, so what is the reason (excuse) for them not winning a championship between 1909-1945?

kittle42
02-23-2004, 04:03 PM
The Cubs were supposedly cursed in 1945, so what is the reason (excuse) for them not winning a championship between 1909-1945?

They sucked.

ChiSox14305635
02-23-2004, 04:05 PM

Babe Ruth's called shot, Hack Wilson being too drinky, they'll find a reason.

Baby Fisk
02-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
They sucked.
Sort of. They did go to the WS quite a few times in that era (1910, 1918, 1929, 1932, 1935, 1938, 1945), but they just weren't able to bring it home. So in a way you could indeed say they sucked. :cool:

MarqSox
02-23-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Sort of. They did go to the WS quite a few times in that era (1910, 1918, 1929, 1932, 1935, 1938, 1945), but they just weren't able to bring it home. So in a way you could indeed say they sucked. :cool:
If 6 pennants in 35 years equals sucking, I would LOVE to suck.

SoxFan76
02-23-2004, 09:02 PM
It's obviously a big publicity stunt. I mean only an idiot (or a Cub fan) thinks Bartman ruined the game. Alex Gonzalez is probably loving the fact that he didn't get run out of town. Instead some fan who wanted a foul ball can't show his face in public anymore.

Brian26
02-24-2004, 01:42 PM
I'm seeing more publicity for this in the papers than I did for the Madduz signing. The friggin' Today show is going to be there.

bartmanisgod
02-24-2004, 01:54 PM
That ball should never be destroyed! Steve Bartman is the second coming of Christ! That ball is a sacred artifact to all sox fans. Mel Gibbson should make a movie about him!
The passion of the Bartman!

Baby Fisk
02-24-2004, 04:23 PM
http://www.knup.net/Graphics/Images/Cubs_BartmanGoat.jpg

"baaaaa!"

Kuzman
02-24-2004, 06:07 PM
i honestly feel sorry for that guy.. but i would love to see that ball stick around and be in the cubs face for the next 100 years, just like the goat :)

http://www.knup.net/Graphics/Images/Cubs_Scapegoating.jpg