PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts 2/22/04

Hangar18
02-23-2004, 01:35 AM
File this story under:
"To further prove what MEDIA COVERAGE can do for your team"

Went to a local watering hole this evening, to have a couple of beers and play a couple games of pool. There is a bar that I like, in the downtown area, that is friendly, fun and more importantly .....Considered A WHITESOX BAR. Ive gone in there a couple of times after a nitegame, and there are quite a few Sox Fans from the game there, as well as other guys ive met and talked a little Sox baseball with. Tonite however, I witnessed something Very Disturbing. As i ordered my first beer, I couldnt help, but be Aghast, at the GIANT CUB FLAG now hanging from the Ceiling of the place. I looked around and also noted the little fuzzy blue cubby decals on the walls of the place now too. Incredibly, this bar has Overnite, become a cub bar now. Im a regular enough to have Voiced my Displeasure at this disturbing turn of events.
"Why is the stupid flag up there" I said to the barkeep pointing upwards at that eyesore logo.
"Oh....they just signed Maddux"
"What?!" I said incredulously.
"yeah, its exciting. they signed Maddux now. the owner saw all the news reports and decided to put up the flag"
"Wait a second" I responded "you mean to tell me hes not a cub fan, but saw all the Pee-Your-Pants Maddux Hysteria and he basically bought the Hype?"
"well, when you put it that way........I guess he did"
at this point, another fan chimed in "They signed Maddux, that was a Huge signing man....you got to be excited hes back home"
"The Cubs signed him because NOONE ELSE WANTED HIM. If he wanted to "come home", he wouldve come in November. Did you stop and think about that?" I quickly retorted to the anonymous cub fan
I gave them 48 Hours to REMOVE the Flag or that I would Impose Sanctions on the Place otherwise. the people at the bar laughed and a woman and a guy yelled "F*** the Cubs" to the cub fan who was shocked immediately, mostly realizing not everyone was sharing in the cubfluff. This then Prompted some heated discussion between the people on why the cubs suck etc
...........while I Quietly and Discreetly Removed ALL of the cubby decals and threw them in the Garbage. where they belonged.

DSpivack
02-23-2004, 01:38 AM
Thank you for spreading the word...

the truth must be known.

Many are continually brainwashed year in and year out...

I do honestly feel sorry for Cub fans...

Much like I feel sorry for anyone else in a cult.

chisoxmike
02-23-2004, 01:47 AM
Preach it on Hangar!!!!! I do the same wherever I go.

I work at Starbucks and last summer the company sold Cubs bears in Chicago and Yankees bears in New York...etc etc.

I was like "Where are the White Sox bears" I was told that there arn't any.

I became pissed!!! I made fun of everyone buying them... (at that time the White Sox had royaly kick the Cubs ass in the crosstown rivialy, and Sosa's corked bat was all out)

A friend of mine wanted to burn all the boxes that came EVERY WEDNESDAY. Since I didn't want to be fired...we didn't.

Hangar18
02-23-2004, 01:54 AM
By the way, I wont name the Place just yet .......
Im Giving them a few days to GET IN COMPLIANCE.
Otherwise, I will OUT them and take my drinking elswhere
heh heh. They know me enough, that they may take me seriously and actually remove the flag. we'll see

WSox8404
02-23-2004, 01:25 PM
That is nothing. Last year I attended the Univerisity of Illinois. Throughout the year I only saw a handfull of Cubs hats on campus. However when they won the division last fall (I no longer attended the University at the time but I was down there with some friends to see a football game) it came in the middle of the Illini football game. Everyone went nuts. Some H MO was walking around the stands with a Cubs flag, and drunk, giggly girls were screaming "Go Cubbies." Then all the Cubs apparel came out. Hats and jerseys everywhere. That made me so sick. I have a friend at ISU, and he said the same exact thing happened there. People jump on the bandwagon so fast nowadays that sometimes I wonder if they even know who they are cheering for at any given moment.

ewokpelts
02-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
By the way, I wont name the Place just yet .......
Im Giving them a few days to GET IN COMPLIANCE.
Otherwise, I will OUT them and take my drinking elswhere
heh heh. They know me enough, that they may take me seriously and actually remove the flag. we'll see

I think I know what place ur talking about Henry.
Gene

Brian26
02-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Hangar,

I'm trying to guess what place it is. I don't think Rock Bottom has pool tables...

Is it possible one of those bars on Hubbard or Kinzie? It has to be something right off the redline.

steff
02-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
while I Quietly and Discreetly Removed ALL of the cubby decals and threw them in the Garbage. where they belonged.

Unreal...

ewokpelts
02-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by steff
Unreal...

i dont think it's unreal...it's par for the course with Henry.

Gene

ewokpelts
02-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Hangar,

I'm trying to guess what place it is. I don't think Rock Bottom has pool tables...

Is it possible one of those bars on Hubbard or Kinzie? It has to be something right off the redline.

think halsted

Brian26
02-23-2004, 02:13 PM
It's not Puffers, is it? I don't really consider that downtown, but I know Hangar likes it.

Brian26
02-23-2004, 02:14 PM
Unreal...

LOL. You don't want Hangar on your bad side.

maurice
02-23-2004, 03:10 PM
It's not Puffers, is it?

Dugan's, more likely.

Frater Perdurabo
02-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Hangar18: An Army of One.

kittle42
02-23-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Hangar18: An Army of One.

And kudos to him. I don't find anything he did in bad taste. A quality Sox fan.

steff
02-23-2004, 05:43 PM
LOL. You don't want Hangar on your bad side.

Ohh paaalleeaaasseee...

I've never been afraid of Henry and I'm not about to start. Some of the things he does, I feel, are just plain stupid and luckily we have the kind of friendship that I can tell him so. He's a pain in the rear end occasionally.. and his obsession with the media drives me nuts. But he's ok.. most of the time.

Hangar18
02-23-2004, 10:43 PM
Ohh paaalleeaaasseee...

I've never been afraid of Henry and I'm not about to start. Some of the things he does, I feel, are just plain stupid and luckily we have the kind of friendship that I can tell him so. He's a pain in the rear end occasionally.. and his obsession with the media drives me nuts. But he's ok.. most of the time.

yes, steff your lucky your a sox fan, cute, and my pal...otherwise heh heh :smile: I appreciate everyones opinions, even if their wrong :smile: Steff, werent YOU
the one who was so worried about what I was going to do
at SoxFest (to get news coverage) and YOU were one of the people that stole the show heh heh. ahhh, gotta love soxfans

whitesoxwilkes
02-23-2004, 10:47 PM
Hangar,

My guess is Mother Hubbard's.

Hangar18
02-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Frader, Kittle42, thanks for the support. I left my sunglasses
in the place last nite, and went in to get them. I saw a guy who was there last nite, and he whispered to me that he saw me removing the little cubby decals, and he said someone from the bar wondered what happened to them and put a few back up.
He said "in the name of good taste, I also took them right back down". AMEN to him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-23-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by WSox8404
That is nothing. Last year I attended the Univerisity of Illinois. Throughout the year I only saw a handfull of Cubs hats on campus. However when they won the division last fall (I no longer attended the University at the time but I was down there with some friends to see a football game) it came in the middle of the Illini football game. Everyone went nuts. Some H MO was walking around the stands with a Cubs flag, and drunk, giggly girls were screaming "Go Cubbies." Then all the Cubs apparel came out. Hats and jerseys everywhere. That made me so sick. I have a friend at ISU, and he said the same exact thing happened there. People jump on the bandwagon so fast nowadays that sometimes I wonder if they even know who they are cheering for at any given moment.
I know what you mean. MLB doesn't have the appeal for the teens my age unlike the NBA and NFL. No one ever talked about baseball, but then the cubbies started to beat the AA-Reds and AA-Pirates and got into the playoffs. Never have I saw so many new cub hats in my entire life.

Brian26
02-24-2004, 12:43 PM
Did we ever get the official location from Hangar on this one? Was Dugan's the place?