PDA

View Full Version : Morrissey: BoSox, Cubs fans most tortured

MarqSox
02-22-2004, 10:20 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040222morrissey,1,6931085.column?coll=cs-home-utility

This is the text of the e-mail I sent Rick Morrissey in response:

Rick,

As a diehard Sox fan (White, not Red), I'm really, really disappointed that you bought into the Red Sox/Cubs BS. Considering that you are a Chicago-based writer whom I generally have a high regard for, I figured you would recognize that the Red Sox should never be listed ahead of the White Sox in a conversation about whose fans have suffered more (1917! No pennant since 1959!). But, then again, the fact that you gave us no respect in that column (nary a mention?? c'mon!) proves the point -- we're so tortured that we're essentially forgotten in our own city.

Are there fewer of us than Red Sox and Cubs fans? Yeah. But rather than that being a knock against us in terms of Baseball Torture, I would argue that it's a chip in our favor -- anybody can be a Red Sox or Cubs fan because it's fashionable, dare I say even trendy. Being a White Sox fan takes truer devotion, as there is pretty much no upside.

Look, in a way, I'm happy people forget about the Pale Hose when they talk about baseball's most pathetic teams, because it's really not something anyone should be proud of. But as a fan, I do resent not getting the credit for supporting my team that so many Johnny Come Latelys in Boston and on the North Side do.

TommyJohn
02-22-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040222morrissey,1,6931085.column?coll=cs-home-utility

This is the text of the e-mail I sent Rick Morrissey in response:

Rick,

As a diehard Sox fan (White, not Red), I'm really, really disappointed that you bought into the Red Sox/Cubs BS. Considering that you are a Chicago-based writer whom I generally have a high regard for, I figured you would recognize that the Red Sox should never be listed ahead of the White Sox in a conversation about whose fans have suffered more (1917! No pennant since 1959!). But, then again, the fact that you gave us no respect in that column (nary a mention?? c'mon!) proves the point -- we're so tortured that we're essentially forgotten in our own city.

Are there fewer of us than Red Sox and Cubs fans? Yeah. But rather than that being a knock against us in terms of Baseball Torture, I would argue that it's a chip in our favor -- anybody can be a Red Sox or Cubs fan because it's fashionable, dare I say even trendy. Being a White Sox fan takes truer devotion, as there is pretty much no upside.

Look, in a way, I'm happy people forget about the Pale Hose when they talk about baseball's most pathetic teams, because it's really not something anyone should be proud of. But as a fan, I do resent not getting the credit for supporting my team that so many Johnny Come Latelys in Boston and on the North Side do.

Great e-mail. Morrissey looks at Sox fans as "pathetic" (his word)
rather than suffering. So if you get a response from him, expect
it to be sneering and sarcastic in tone, with references to the
Black Sox thrown in for good measure.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-22-2004, 10:29 PM
I can't stand these types of articles. Stop beating a dead horse!I've actually talked to a few Red Sox fans before and brought up the fact that the white sox have gone longer than the red sox and that the White Sox are really the "Sox" because they've always had "SOX" on their jerseys unlike how boston has had the words "Red Sox" on their jerseys. The response from the Red Sox fans was that the Red Sox are the Sox because no one cares about the White Sox and no one mentions the White Sox's lack of a WS because once again, no one cares about them. That comment really made me peeved. Red Sox fans are definately second only to scrub fans in my column of sporting fans that I can't stand.

ChiSox14305635
02-23-2004, 12:01 AM
I almost hate Red Sox fans as much as I hate Cub fans. Some of them act like they're entitled to everyone's sympathy. Then, after Lucchino made his "Evil Empire" comment, what does he do the following off-season: Mimic what King George does in the FA market. I have no sympathy if the Yankees kill them in the season. I'd rather see the Twinkies win it before the Red Sox.

Hangar18
02-23-2004, 12:07 AM
this is why Rick Morrissey is a JackAss also. If he wouldve done his homework, he would realize that SOX FANS are the most tortured, despite having some of the best players come thru their farm system, Mr Reinsdorf continually tries to run his team into the ground, by lack of support and many PR/Business Gaffes. Fact is, it Just Looked better on paper to just go ahead and say that the Cubs and RedSox are the most tortured.
Hmmmm, the Red Sox were in the World Series in 1986 and 1975 I remember. Last time the White Sox were in the series was 1959. So whats your reasoning Mr Morrissey you JackAss. Reasoning is you were L-A-Z-Y. What...did you go to the Mike Kiley School of Journalism?
Never let the FACTS get in the way of a Good Story right?

DSpivack
02-23-2004, 12:35 AM
The Cubs and Red Sox are adored the nation over, because they are lovable losers and underdogs?

Let them keep that title.

I don't want to be known as a loser [despite the fact that we are].

I almost want to be forgotten, that way when we win the WS [in my lifetime or not] it'll be all the more shocking...

Hey, they haven't won a Series in a long time, either! Wow! Their fans really have suffered!

Let the Red Sox and Cub fans love their losing ways. Let Aaron Boone and Steve Bartman [though really Alex Gonzalez] have all their glory. Let them fail, year after year in continually stupid and dramatic ways.

When the Cubs and Red Sox go, it's on national tv in the playoffs. They don't simply collapse, they implode. The White Sox merely go out with a whimper. Somehow, some way, for whatever strange reason, I like that.

Let us be forgotten, for then people will truly be startled when we shine back.

kittle545feet
02-23-2004, 01:32 AM
i have to disagree with a few of the above comments. i think some are jealous of the red sox fans because they have an owner willing to spend money to compete with the best in baseball. i don't hope they lose, i hope they kick the crap out of the yankees. screw steinbrenner and his yankees! we share a lot with the red sox fans except that they actually make it to the series and then proceed to blow it. we still have the pain of not winning it all, just like them. plus, i don't think the red sox pull the lovable loser crap like the cubs do. the cubs have had about 5 winning seasons in the past 40 years and tons of fan and media support, so they truly are losers. the red sox cannot say that and even our own white sox cannot make a claim that horendous. boston gets more press time and coverage because they make efforts to compete, come very close to winning, then blow it. i think if the same could be said about the white sox, we would get the same respect the red sox do. remeber, they hate the yankees like we hate the cubs. thats something i can respect. and if the white sox can't do it, then i hope the red ones do.

SSN721
02-23-2004, 06:29 AM
I am just so sick of Red Sox fans. I cant imagine how you can have an owner that still spends so much money and then whine about not getting marquee players. I think their team is still stronger than the Yankees and they shouldnt be whining about who they didnt get but happy about how strong their current team is. I do agree with the above point made that I would rather the White Sox lurk in the shadows and are not made famous for being mediocre, it would be grand for the Sox to come out of nowhere and win it all and then the national media would be so suprised because they forgot there were even two teams in Chicago.

hsnterprize
02-23-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
I am just so sick of Red Sox fans. I cant imagine how you can have an owner that still spends so much money and then whine about not getting marquee players. I think their team is still stronger than the Yankees and they shouldnt be whining about who they didnt get but happy about how strong their current team is. I do agree with the above point made that I would rather the White Sox lurk in the shadows and are not made famous for being mediocre, it would be grand for the Sox to come out of nowhere and win it all and then the national media would be so suprised because they forgot there were even two teams in Chicago. I second that setiment. It seems like as long as there is an east coast slant on national sports news, there will always be the "Yankees vs. Red Sox" duel. Let's face it...unless the White Sox do what you've said, and slip under the radar to win big, no one outside of die-hard White Sox fans will either know or care about our team's lack of WS success. In spite of the "Curse of the Billy Goat" or the "Curse of the Bambino", we know the Sox haven't won a WS since 1917. The trouble is we don't have a cute-named curse to blame our team's futility on...just bad play on the field either during the regular season or in the playoffs.

I'd personally would LOVE to see the Sox pull the unthinkable, and at least win their division...let alone the WS this year. As much as I'm upset the Sox appeared not to do anything to improve their club during the off season compared to the Cubs, Red Sox, and Yankees, it would really be nice if our team could do what the 2002 Angels and last year's Marlins did. Say what you will, but I really believe that, along with a Cubbie choke sometime during the season, will finally place the Sox on the map as a legitimate team from the "Second City" instead of "Chicago's other team."

Baby Fisk
02-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
I am just so sick of Red Sox fans. I cant imagine how you can have an owner that still spends so much money and then whine about not getting marquee players. I think their team is still stronger than the Yankees and they shouldnt be whining about who they didnt get but happy about how strong their current team is. I do agree with the above point made that I would rather the White Sox lurk in the shadows and are not made famous for being mediocre, it would be grand for the Sox to come out of nowhere and win it all and then the national media would be so suprised because they forgot there were even two teams in Chicago.

I'm with you. The only people who glorify losing are LOSERS! If the Carmines ever did win a WS, their fans wouldn't know what to do with themselves.

kittle545feet
02-24-2004, 02:01 AM
i hate to say it but i have heard of a south side curse and has to do with the black sox scandal. the curse is supposedly payback for what they did to baseball and that we will be forever cursed. i personally think its a bunch of crap and guess who told me about it.......................a cub jerk-bag. so what does that tell ya? boy, they say misery loves company. :angry:

doublem23
02-24-2004, 02:30 AM
We're not cursed by the Black Sox... We're cursed by JR.

Anyways, perhaps in the big scheme of things, Cub and Red Sox fans have had more sorrow than White Sox fans... I'm no baseball historian, so I'm not even going to bother with getting into a big discussion about it, but there's no way anyone's suffered more than us in the last decade.

No way.

MarqSox
02-24-2004, 07:29 AM
FWIW, I didn't get so much as a form letter in response from Mr. Morrissey. Too bad, I liked him too.