PDA

View Full Version : New Sox Beat Writer

Lip Man 1
02-22-2004, 10:08 PM
Some of you may have noticed the name Bob Foltman on the Sox spring stories for the Tribune the past few days.

Get used to it because he is the new Sox beat writer. Bob Vanderberg was kind enough to confirm that for me tonight.

Obviously the Teddy Greenstein experiment didn't last long.

I don't know why he was reassigned. According to Bob, the Tribune wanted to bring in someone new from elsewhere to do the job but that didn't work out.

Bob is going to be tossing ideas to Bob Foltman on the Sox throughout the season so he'll, in a way, have a hand in the coverage this season.

Bob Foltman has been the Hawks beat writer the past few years. He's from Harvey, has been a Sox fan a long time and according to Bob Vanderberg, knows the history of the team very well.

Bob said he'll do a good job.

Just FYI.

Lip

ChiSox14305635
02-22-2004, 10:19 PM
I was wondering what happened to Teddy Greenstein. Maybe he was being too optimistic about the Sox. You know the Cubune can't have that.

DrCrawdad
02-23-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
I was wondering what happened to Teddy Greenstein. Maybe he was being too optimistic about the Sox. You know the Cubune can't have that.

I don't ever remember Teddy being too optimistic about the Sox. Teddy only realized he had nuts once after he stopped covering the Cubbies and he moved over to covering the Sox.

I'll never forgive Teddy for that bull (feces) article where he slandered Sox fans for killing a patch of ivy at The Shrine.

Brian26
02-23-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
II'll never forgive Teddy for that bull (feces) article where he slandered Sox fans for killing a patch of ivy at The Shrine.

We really do have great memories, don't we? :D:

DrCrawdad
02-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
We really do have great memories, don't we? :D:

No evidence. No proof. No witnesses. They just blamed Sox fans on the front page of the Cubune. Then every local tv and radio station ran with the story saying it definitely was Sox fans. That smear job should not be forgotten.

Brian26
02-23-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
No evidence. No proof. No witnesses. They just blamed Sox fans on the front page of the Cubune. Then every local tv and radio station ran with the story saying it definitely was Sox fans. That smear job should not be forgotten.

And when it was discovered that one of their own was responsible for the blunder, it was hardly even reported.

pudge
02-23-2004, 12:16 AM
My biggest problem with Teddy was his blind support for Manuel, just because he was the beat writer and obviously getting somewhat close to him. Beat writers should try not to interject opinions, especially butt-kissing opinions.

Hope the new guy does well.

RichFitztightly
02-23-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
And when it was discovered that one of their own was responsible for the blunder, it was hardly even reported.

What was the circumstance behind this? It was so under-reported that I didn't even hear that it got settled. The last I remember is everybody saying it was a Sox fan. Then most Sox fans didn't care enough about Wrigley to be offended in being cast in such light. Then a columnist in the Southtown suggested that a front row seat in the bleachers was too good of a seat for a Sox fan to get, seeing as he would need connections and all. Needless to say, I just figured it got dropped and nobody really had any evidence to say for sure. So what's the final story?