PDA

View Full Version : Sidney Ponson

soxwon
02-22-2004, 08:33 PM
White sox wannabe- Sidney Ponson was selected to pitch the Opener for the baltimore Orioles.
if we had him he would have been 3 or 4th starter, so we must have a hell of a pitching staff right?

MRKARNO
02-22-2004, 08:34 PM
No, it's just that we dont have a crappy one like they do.

munchman33
02-22-2004, 09:22 PM
Well, it has been the sentiment around here by many individuals that the White Sox would significantly worse than everyone except Texas, Cleveland, and Detroit. This certainly gives some creedance to the opposing arguement.

MRKARNO
02-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Rotations better than ours:

Yankees
Red Sox
Athletics
Mariners
Angels
Blue Jays

Rotations worse than ours:
Rangers
Tigers
Twins
Royals
Devil Rays
Orioles
Indians

WinningUgly!
02-22-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

Yankees
Red Sox
Athletics
Mariners
Angels
Blue Jays

Rangers
Tigers
Twins
Royals
Devil Rays
Orioles
Indians

I'm not so sure about the Blue Jays having a better rotation than us.

lostinlife28
02-22-2004, 09:47 PM
Let's see who's rotations are better in August. You'll be surprised by the results. I'm in Baltimore. I was in Chi-town the past 4 years. While I hope E.L. keeps the same form he had last year, but even if he does the sox only have him and Mark. What is there after that?

Tragg
02-22-2004, 10:03 PM

Yankees
Red Sox
Athletics
Mariners
Angels
Blue Jays

Rangers
Tigers
Twins
Royals
Devil Rays
Orioles
Indians
Probably the same list as teams better than us, with the possible switch of twins/jays

depy48
02-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

blue jays definatly have a better rotation
halladay, hentgen, lilly, batista

notice how there's no AL Central rotations on that list...i think all thigns considered the sox will win the Central

MRKARNO
02-22-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Halladay vs Buehrle Edge: Jays
Batista vs Loaiza Edge: Sox
Lily vs Garland Edge: Jays
Hentgen vs Schoenweis Edge: jays
Towers vs White Sox 5th Edge: Jays

And that Loazia over Batista is iffy because Batista has proven his success was not a fluke

mike squires
02-22-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by lostinlife28
Let's see who's rotations are better in August. You'll be surprised by the results. I'm in Baltimore. I was in Chi-town the past 4 years. While I hope E.L. keeps the same form he had last year, but even if he does the sox only have him and Mark. What is there after that?

Garland has posted 2 12 win seasons in a row. Not to shappy. Comparable to Wood with not as many K's. Garland has huge potential if he could only survive the mental lapses.

DrCrawdad
02-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Garland has posted 2 12 win seasons in a row. Not to shappy. Comparable to Wood with not as many K's. Garland has huge potential if he could only survive the mental lapses.

The Cubbie fans that moniter WSI just crapped their pants on the Garland - Carrie Would comparison.

(Cubbie fans, I know you're there. Just look the number of people who viewed my thread on Maddux compared to the number who posted.)

depy48
02-23-2004, 01:16 AM
Halladay vs Buehrle Edge: Jays
Batista vs Loaiza Edge: Sox
Lily vs Garland Edge: Jays
Hentgen vs Schoenweis Edge: jays
Towers vs White Sox 5th Edge: Jays

And that Loazia over Batista is iffy because Batista has proven his success was not a fluke

i'll give the edge to garland over lilly. lilly is an injury threat and i think that garland can win more games than lilly. garland has the potential to be a #2 pitcher, lilly will never be more that a 3 or 4 man.

HITMEN OF 77
02-23-2004, 01:22 AM
I'm glad we didn't sign Ponson, I think he could be a problem health wise. I think White Sox have a pretty good staff and a lot better than 75% of the AL. If Garland can win 15 games this year, which I think he will, we win the central.

SSN721
02-23-2004, 07:09 AM
I agree with the above posts that Lilly and Ponson are both injury threats, glad that we didnt sign ponson, at least for the money he finally got. I also agree with the statement that him being the number on on Baltimore just goes to show how bad their staff is. But I also think that we do have the best rotation in the Central. Which is why I am still confident in a division championship this year. :cool:

Kittle
02-23-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
I'm glad we didn't sign Ponson, I think he could be a problem health wise. I think White Sox have a pretty good staff and a lot better than 75% of the AL. If Garland can win 15 games this year, which I think he will, we win the central.

I would've rather had Ponson in the #3 slot than Garland. We very well may win the Central, but only because our competition is weak. Having Garland as our #3 might kill us in the playoffs.

Oh, and not having a closer won't help either. Come back, Keith Foulke! :whiner:

sas1974
02-23-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by lostinlife28

Yes, let's see how that Baltimore rotation looks after feeding on a steady diet of Red Sox and Yankees. Yikes! Thank god we're in the Central.