PDA

View Full Version : Funny Column by Patrick Dahl

TornLabrum
02-22-2004, 09:17 PM
Patrick Dahl has written a very funny column on ways to improve Sox attendance. Check it out.

Also check out Guy Bacci's column. I couldn't have expressed my feelings about what Ozzie is going to do for this club any better.

SaltyPretzel
02-22-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Patrick Dahl has written a very funny column on ways to improve Sox attendance. Check it out.

Also check out Guy Bacci's column. I couldn't have expressed my feelings about what Ozzie is going to do for this club any better.

Where?

MRKARNO
02-22-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by SaltyPretzel
Where?

On the main page of this site

SaltyPretzel
02-22-2004, 09:46 PM
Thanks. :smile:

alohafri
02-22-2004, 10:07 PM
Great column! I see that growing up under the tutelage of Steve Dahl has worked!

Brian26
02-22-2004, 10:32 PM
"WSI's Patrick Dahl"? Ugh. Give me a break. What's his screenname and how many posts has he made?

Someone inform Patrick to do his homework, too. The shower in leftfield is being removed this year. DJ's needs to shut up? Has Patrick ever watched a broadcast? The running joke is that DJ doesn't talk ENOUGH. Did he mean he wanted Hawk to shut up? And columns will actually be added in the upperdeck this year to create some obstructed views, as has been discussed here countless time.

And for the love of god, please stop using "The Joan" reference. It's lame. It's really, really lame. Whether it's Peggy Kuzinski on Channel 5 or having his kid on WSI, Steve needs to realize that the name a.) wasn't created by him (I saw it here on WSI before Steve ever claimed he invented it) and b.) it's lame.

Nice to see some name recognition on the site, but let's keep the homepage writers as actual Sox fans. Steve is about as gay as any guy I've ever heard when he talks about sports, and Patrick seems to be following in the same mold.

TornLabrum
02-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
"WSI's Patrick Dahl"? Ugh. Give me a break. What's his screenname and how many posts has he made?

Someone inform Patrick to do his homework, too. The shower in leftfield is being removed this year. DJ's needs to shut up? Has Patrick ever watched a broadcast? The running joke is that DJ doesn't talk ENOUGH. Did he mean he wanted Hawk to shut up? And columns will actually be added in the upperdeck this year to create some obstructed views, as has been discussed here countless time.

And for the love of god, please stop using "The Joan" reference. It's lame. It's really, really lame. Whether it's Peggy Kuzinski on Channel 5 or having his kid on WSI, Steve needs to realize that the name a.) wasn't created by him (I saw it here on WSI before Steve ever claimed he invented it) and b.) it's lame.

Nice to see some name recognition on the site, but let's keep the homepage writers as actual Sox fans. Steve is about as gay as any guy I've ever heard when he talks about sports, and Patrick seems to be following in the same mold.

Unbelievable....

patbooyah
02-22-2004, 10:57 PM

well thank you for the kind words. i'm glad to see that your dislike of my "gay" dad doesn't make you dislike me. this is my screenname. i dont have many posts- and that obviously means you are a bigger sox fan than i am. excuse me for even liking the team without your permission.

a couple things about what you mentioned- the news about the shower in leftfield being removed came AFTER i submitted this column- i also don't think its being removed- they only lost the sponsorship.

I think DJ is a terrible broadcaster and should have his job taken from him- thats why i want him to speak even less.

The columns in the upper deck will block the view of the upper five rows in the stadium- much different than at wrigley.

i can't argue with you about "the joan" being a lame reference, even though i think its funny. you pick a better tag for it and i'll use it:

a. u.s. cellular field
b. "the cell" (even though its a marriotti favorite)
c. "the ballmall" (another marriotti favorite)

and i think i speak for everyone at whitesoxinteractive.com when i say: "thanks for another positive posting!"

your friend in white socks,
pat dahl

DrCrawdad
02-22-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by patbooyah
well thank you for the kind words. i'm glad to see that your dislike of my "gay" dad doesn't make you dislike me. this is my screenname. i dont have many posts- and that obviously means you are a bigger sox fan than i am. excuse me for even liking the team without your permission.

a couple things about what you mentioned- the news about the shower in leftfield being removed came AFTER i submitted this column- i also don't think its being removed- they only lost the sponsorship.

I think DJ is a terrible broadcaster and should have his job taken from him- thats why i want him to speak even less.

The columns in the upper deck will block the view of the upper five rows in the stadium- much different than at wrigley.

i can't argue with you about "the joan" being a lame reference, even though i think its funny. you pick a better tag for it and i'll use it:

a. u.s. cellular field
b. "the cell" (even though its a marriotti favorite)
c. "the ballmall" (another marriotti favorite)

and i think i speak for everyone at whitesoxinteractive.com when i say: "thanks for another positive posting!"

pat dahl

Pat,

I enjoyed the column. Glad to have you aboard.

patbooyah
02-22-2004, 11:08 PM
why, thank you. i appreciate all the positive feedback. a lot.

Brian26
02-22-2004, 11:11 PM

Wow, that's awfully nice, Pat.

What if I said your old man is a terrible broadcaster, and I want someone to take his job from him so he can't feed his wife and kids or send them to college?

DJ's doing a nice job and has improved leaps and bounds from his debut in 2000. I may have agreed with you 4 years ago, but I can't agree with you now. When's the last time you watched a game?

The Cell. Everyone calls it that, and it actually sounds cool. Why do you keep using "The Joan"?

pat dahl

That's beautiful. Ask you dad to pull out "Boys of Zimmer" someday (he played constantly in '89) to prove how much of a Sox fan he is.

TornLabrum
02-22-2004, 11:26 PM
Brian,

Nice to see you showing so much class.

patbooyah
02-22-2004, 11:33 PM

What if I said your old man is a terrible broadcaster, and I want someone to take his job from him so he can't feed his wife and kids or send them to college?

DJ's doing a nice job and has improved leaps and bounds from his debut in 2000. I may have agreed with you 4 years ago, but I can't agree with you now. When's the last time you watched a game?

actually- you called my dad "gay," which is more of a personal attack. DJ has gotten better, i'll give you that, but my joke was a lighthearted ribbing. "terrible broadcaster" was probably taking it too far and i'd like to take it back.

The Cell. Everyone calls it that, and it actually sounds cool. Why do you keep using "The Joan"?

Because one of the fundamental reasons people like "The Cell" is that they think its a good shot at sox fans in general- that we behave and act like inmates.

That's beautiful. Ask you dad to pull out "Boys of Zimmer" someday (he played constantly in '89) to prove how much of a Sox fan he is.

this is about me- not my dad- and since i've had a choice i've been a sox fan. i'll admit- my dad is not the most loyal sox fan.

okay- im going to do my best to ignore this now. can't we all just get along?

pat :)

Brian26
02-22-2004, 11:36 PM
Brian,

Nice to see you showing so much class.

Torn,

Let's not dilute the quality of this website by kissing ass to pseudo local celebrities. To be quite honest, that column wasn't witty or clever at all, and nobody deserves preferencial treatment based on their name.

Brian26
02-22-2004, 11:42 PM
okay- im going to do my best to ignore this now. can't we all just get along?

Ok, Pat.

You basically admitted at various times that I was correct, so I'm cool with you. It's not your fault that your name is Dahl, so I won't hold that against you. And I won't hold it against you that somebody on the site is such a mark for your dad that they'll post your column up immediately and call you "WSI's PATRICK DAHL" even though you've only posted here 15 times.

Stay true to the Sox and hang out here on the board for awhile, and things will be cool. Watch out for old man Labrum though. He's old school Coho.

MRKARNO
02-22-2004, 11:50 PM
Ok, Pat.

You basically admitted at various times that I was correct, so I'm cool with you. It's not your fault that your name is Dahl, so I won't hold that against you. And I won't hold it against you that somebody on the site is such a mark for your dad that they'll post your column up immediately and call you "WSI's PATRICK DAHL" even though you've only posted here 15 times.

Stay true to the Sox and hang out here on the board for awhile, and things will be cool. Watch out for old man Labrum though. He's old school Coho.

I'm glad that we settled this one, unlike the 300+ post Frank Thomas "Sealgep vs. steff" thread.

Here's to not alienating sox fans!

DrCrawdad
02-22-2004, 11:50 PM
There are few celebrities who are Sox fans. Then we get one identifying with us and we feel the need to rush up and punch him in the nose, so to speak.

I love my fellow Sox fans, but we can sure be a surly sort sometimes.

Brian26
02-22-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
There are few celebrities who are Sox fans. Then we get one identifying with us and we feel the need to rush up and punch him in the nose, so to speak.

Well, Craw, if you think Patrick Dahl is a "celebrity" that needs to be embraced with special treatment, you're going down the same road with me that Labrum did. I'm cool with Pat posting on the board and throwing out his stories/viewpoints/jokes. I'm not cool with Pat being pasted over the front page of the website like he's a celebrity. That's really the point I was trying to make.

MRKARNO
02-23-2004, 12:03 AM
Well, Craw, if you think Patrick Dahl is a "celebrity" that needs to be embraced with special treatment, you're going down the same road with me that Labrum did. I'm cool with Pat posting on the board and throwing out his stories/viewpoints/jokes. I'm not cool with Pat being pasted over the front page of the website like he's a celebrity. That's really the point I was trying to make.

You gotta admit that the "Sigma Omega Chi" thing was funny and original

pudge
02-23-2004, 12:09 AM
Hal has a good article this week too, I always feel like I get suckered in, and then start cursing myself when the Sox struggle in April!

Daver
02-23-2004, 12:11 AM

He is treated the same as any other columnist that donates their time to this website,nothing more and nothing less.Are you trying to say that anyone that writes for this site is given special treatment?

Jjav829
02-23-2004, 12:12 AM

First off, try doing your homework next time. Perhaps it was too tough to scroll down a little and notice that every column preview refers to the columnist as "WSI's (insert name here)". That's the format. If you don't like it, o well.

What in the hell does that have to do with anything? So you expect him not to criticize DJ because he feels he's doing a bad job? Forget how good or bad DJ is, you don't think he has the right to say DJ should go? I suppose you've never once said that any player should be benched or cut, right? I mean that would mean you are saying that that player should have his job taken away and not be able to support his wife and kids! *gasp* The horror of someone criticizing someone who they feel is doing a bad job. We can't have that in this world!

I guess I should just ignore this since it is fairly obvious that you have another motive here, but I can't.

Brian26
02-23-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Daver
He is treated the same as any other columnist that donates their time to this website,nothing more and nothing less.Are you trying to say that anyone that writes for this site is given special treatment?

He only had 14 or 15 posts on the message board before that column was posted. I had never even heard on his screenname before. Are you saying anyone can write for the site, whether or not they have any affiliation with this message board or have only visited the site for 2 weeks? Can anyone send an article in and get it printed that quickly on the front page of the site if their name isn't recognizable? Answer that honestly.

CubKilla
02-23-2004, 12:22 AM
:reinsy :KW

"Thanks for taking the heat off of us Pat. "

Brian26
02-23-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
What in the hell does that have to do with anything? So you expect him not to criticize DJ because he feels he's doing a bad job? Forget how good or bad DJ is, you don't think he has the right to say DJ should go? I suppose you've never once said that any player should be benched or cut, right? I mean that would mean you are saying that that player should have his job taken away and not be able to support his wife and kids! *gasp* The horror of someone criticizing someone who they feel is doing a bad job. We can't have that in this world!

I think he ABSOLUTELY has the right to say that DJ sucks if he can back it up with some credible evidence. (He also has the right to say DJ sucks if he doesn't give evidence, but that just makes him look uninformed). I backed up my claim that DJ's doing a nice job and has improved leaps and bounds since his debut in 2000. Do your homework and read Patrick's reply, in which he clearly admits that he was too harsh with DJ, and he agrees that DJ has improved tremendously. MY entire point is that saying "DJ sucks - he should be fired now" is a pretty ignorant sounding comment without any substance or explanation- none of which was given.

Brian26
02-23-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
You gotta admit that the "Sigma Omega Chi" thing was funny and original

I'd probably rank it a notch below the line "I saw a 'GN sticker on a Ford hatchback" on the Dahl wittiness scale.

Jjav829
02-23-2004, 12:27 AM
I think he ABSOLUTELY has the right to say that DJ sucks if he can back it up with some credible evidence. (He also has the right to say DJ sucks if he doesn't give evidence, but that just makes him look uninformed). I backed up my claim that DJ's doing a nice job and has improved leaps and bounds since his debut in 2000. Do your homework and read Patrick's reply, in which he clearly admits that he was too harsh with DJ, and he agrees that DJ has improved tremendously. MY entire point is that saying "DJ sucks - he should be fired now" is a pretty ignorant sounding comment without any substance or explanation- none of which was given.

You completely missed the point of my post. I'm not arguing whether DJ sucks or not or what anyone thinks about how good he is. I'm asking you why you made this reply.

You're not arguing whether he is good or not. You're saying that someone shouldn't be criticized on how they do their job, or whether they should keep their job because they have to make money. That's ridiculous. So I'm not allowed to say Willie Harris doesn't belong in baseball (regardless of how good or bad he is) because Willie has a family to feed so I should respect that and not criticize him? That's what I take from your reply.

Brian26
02-23-2004, 12:38 AM
You're not arguing whether he is good or not. You're saying that someone shouldn't be criticized on how they do their job, or whether they should keep their job because they have to make money. That's ridiculous. So I'm not allowed to say Willie Harris doesn't belong in baseball (regardless of how good or bad he is) because Willie has a family to feed so I should respect that and not criticize him? That's what I take from your reply.

You have the right to criticize Willie Harris all you want. If you can sustantiate your argument with examples, stats, exhibits, etc, that makes you all the more credible.

I have the right to criticize Steve Dahl radio show all I want. I can talk about how missed Garry Meier is, or I could simply play 3 seconds of Wendy Snyder's annoying laugh at a lame joke from Steve. There are countless ways to substantiate my argument with examples.

Pat has every right to criticize DJ and tell everyone here at WSI that "DJ should be fired because he sucks".

However, since Pat has already agreed with me that he was way too harsh in his initial statement, and that DJ really has improved tremendously since his debut in 2000, basically admitting that I was correct and his critiquing of DJ's baseball broadcasting skills wasn't very fair. This proves that Patrick has every right to say what he wants, but his opinion isn't very thought-out or credible. Which, in turn, really backs up my original statement that Pat shouldn't be on the front page of the website with a column based soley on his name.

Jjav829
02-23-2004, 12:47 AM
You have the right to criticize Willie Harris all you want. If you can sustantiate your argument with examples, stats, exhibits, etc, that makes you all the more credible.

I have the right to criticize Steve Dahl radio show all I want. I can talk about how missed Garry Meier is, or I could simply play 3 seconds of Wendy Snyder's annoying laugh at a lame joke from Steve. There are countless ways to substantiate my argument with examples.

Pat has every right to criticize DJ and tell everyone here at WSI that "DJ should be fired because he sucks".

However, since Pat has already agreed with me that he was way too harsh in his initial statement, and that DJ really has improved tremendously since his debut in 2000, basically admitting that I was correct and his critiquing of DJ's baseball broadcasting skills wasn't very fair. This proves that Patrick has every right to say what he wants, but his opinion isn't very thought-out or credible. Which, in turn, really backs up my original statement that Pat shouldn't be on the front page of the website with a column based soley on his name.

Ok, since we are on the topic of agreement, I take it that you agree that you were off base making an argument about whether DJ is good or not into a personal argument about whether a person should be criticized because they have a family to feed.

In response to your previous comments about anyone getting a column published, yes anyone can get a column published. PHG has said many times that anyone wishing to write a column for the site can submit one for review. If it is good enough (ie it is well written, interesting, displays an actual opinion) it may pass. I can't speak for PHG as I don't deal with columns so I don't know exactly what criteria he uses to determine whether a column gets published or not. How come you didn't demand to know who Guy Bacci was when he first started? If I am not mistaken, Guy Bacci has never made his WSI name known. That is his preference if he wishes to keep his column separate from his WSI posts. If he has made it known, then ignore this but I don't remember him ever revealing his WSI name and I don't remember you ever making a big deal demanding to know. Just curious.

Brian26
02-23-2004, 12:50 AM
In response to your previous comments about anyone getting a column published, yes anyone can get a column published. PHG has said many times that anyone wishing to write a column for the site can submit one for review. If it is good enough (ie it is well written, interesting, displays an actual opinion) it may pass. I can't speak for PHG as I don't deal with columns so I don't know exactly what criteria he uses to determine whether a column gets published or not. How come you didn't demand to know who Guy Bacci was when he first started? If I am not mistaken, Guy Bacci has never made his WSI name known. That is his preference if he wishes to keep his column separate from his WSI posts. If he has made it known, then ignore this but I don't remember him ever revealing his WSI name and I don't remember you ever making a big deal demanding to know. Just curious.

I don't know, but I hear a rumor that Howard Stern's daughter is emailing PHG at this very moment with a quite witty column about the Sox, so I expect to see it up by Tuesday. "WSI's OWN Emily Stern"
:)

Jjav829
02-23-2004, 12:51 AM
I don't know, but I hear a rumor that Howard Stern's daughter is emailing PHG at this very moment with a quite witty column about the Sox, so I expect to see it up by Tuesday. "WSI's OWN Emily Stern"

Thanks, that's all I needed to know. I rest my case. :D:

Brian26
02-23-2004, 12:54 AM
Thanks, that's all I needed to know. I rest my case. :D:

Same here, I need sleep :)

Jjav829
02-23-2004, 12:55 AM
Same here, I need sleep :)

Who doesn't? White Sox baseball tends to tire fans out. :smile:

RichFitztightly
02-23-2004, 12:57 AM
Well for what it's worth (and it's probably not worth too much) I enjoyed the article. That was the first time I heard US Comiskular Field referred to as "The Joan." It took me a little bit to catch that reference and when I did I gave it a chuckle.

CubKilla
02-23-2004, 12:58 AM
I really don't see what all of the fuss is about. I just got done reading the article and I thought it was good AND funny.

longshot7
02-23-2004, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I really don't see what all of the fuss is about. I just got done reading the article and I thought it was good AND funny.

I agree. Brian, I think you need to chill out. Let's see you write a column that's half as funny.

Hangar18
02-23-2004, 01:15 AM
I read the Article and I liked it. In fact, I think that pic of his on his signature with his old man is pretty darn cool. Patrick, your a Sox Fan, and that makes all of us brothers, dont sweat it.
Post more ........

Patrick134
02-23-2004, 01:18 AM
You liked the article, Brian didn't. Is his opinion less valid than yours ? Opinions aren't right or wrong. I didn't think the article was very funny, but it was just 1 article. I'd like to see Pat write some more though, I'm sure he can do better, it was his first try.

Hangar18
02-23-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Patrick134
You liked the article, Brian didn't. Is his opinion less valid than yours ? Opinions aren't right or wrong. I didn't think the article was very funny, but it was just 1 article. I'd like to see Pat write some more though, I'm sure he can do better, it was his first try.

I didnt know it was supposed to be a Comedy Piece. :smile:

DSpivack
02-23-2004, 01:49 AM
Never heard the nickname "The Joan" before. Who came up with that? 'Cause that sounds pretty lame and obscure.

Article was pretty good. What's wrong with any member of this site submitting an article? Who cares who they are?

Rocklive99
02-23-2004, 02:30 AM

I don't want to start anything, but the way I see it is that evidence is needed to back up a fact. I viewed him thinking DJ should talk less as an opinion. Just like it was your opinion that you didn't like the article/the article being posted.

Hullett_Fan
02-23-2004, 10:15 AM
Brian26 is your real name Gary Meier???? Get a grip!

Pat- Welcome Aboard! Great Article. Big fan (225lbs) of your dad's show. :D:

Mickster
02-23-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan

LOL!!! :D:

Fungo
02-23-2004, 10:45 AM
For the record, I'll put my vote in that "The Joan" reference is very lame. The Cell does have a negeative overtone, but it's the best I've heard so far.

:reinsy
At The Cell we're taking prisoners.....and anyone else willing to pay our new ticket prices.

KingXerxes
02-23-2004, 10:51 AM
Pat Dahl,

Maybe you could shed some light on an issue that we discussed on this board last year - but to no avail.

Early in the season last year, your dad was in the broadcast booth and the reception he got from Harrelson was chilly to say the least. Is there some sort of history between the two?

To be honest, DJ and your father were going on and on , and it became rather obvious that Harrelson wanted nothing whatsoever to do with the conversation. What gives?

Brian26
02-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I didnt know it was supposed to be a Comedy Piece. :smile:

Check the title of this thread :D:

Brian26
02-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Rocklive99
I don't want to start anything, but the way I see it is that evidence is needed to back up a fact. I viewed him thinking DJ should talk less as an opinion. Just like it was your opinion that you didn't like the article/the article being posted.

That's cool.

I think Patrick, basically being involved with his father's show and therefore in the same medium as DJ, shouldn't be calling for DJ to be fired.

Brian26
02-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan

No, I'm not. However, I'm anxiously awaiting the column from "WSI's Own Cindy Meier" to be posted very soon!

:D:

bennyw41
02-23-2004, 11:45 AM
Brian, what is your problem? Seems like the Stever did something to you and you can't seem to get over it. You're unbridled attacks at someone's father, is just as immature as a momma joke. Whats the deal bro? Can't someone just write a Sox column without being berated for a stupid reason? CHILLLAXX

cheeses_h_rice
02-23-2004, 12:18 PM
At least this thread answered my question about this guy "patbooyah" posing with the Stever...I was wondering how that photo came to be.

KingXerxes
02-23-2004, 12:20 PM
I still want to know about the Dahl/Harrelson thing.

(I will post this periodically in the hopes that Pat Dahl reads it).

Hullett_Fan
02-23-2004, 12:58 PM
No, I'm not. However, I'm anxiously awaiting the column from "WSI's Own Cindy Meier" to be posted very soon!

LMAO! :D:

steff
02-23-2004, 01:23 PM
I hate DJ and think he should be fired.. :D:

bouldersox
02-23-2004, 04:47 PM
Dahl's comments are right on. The Cub's cater to 20-Something Chi-town transplants that won't know what to do with themselves if the Cubs actually take it all this year. They truthfully think "lovable losers" is a catchy phrase.

Now, I'm the first one to tell you that my attendance at Sox games has taken a dive in the last 18 years. Mostly due to my move from Chicago to Boulder in '85. (that's right, I move out of town, and the Bears win the Super Bowl and the Bulls star starts rising).

A place like McCuddy's right outside the park, where you can hear the national anthem, kill your beer and walk in before the first pitch would be a nice thing. I understand that there are "beer tents" outside of the Cell now. I haven't seen them so I can't really comment, but I think I'd have an issue with it, if only because it would mean putting more money in skin-flint Reindorf's pants.

Nonetheless, there are cool things that ball clubs/parks are doing outside of Chicago. One is, that the places are kid friendly. I don't think even the most objective of you would suggest that Wrigley Field is kid friendly, unless you want to see your kid get thrown up on by a 20-something.

At Coors Field they have a playground for the kids. Baseball purism aside, I've spent many an inning in that play area in exchange for double those innings in my seats teaching the next generation about the most beautiful game in existence.

And say what you will about promotions -- except that they don't work. I have a friend who never misses a group outing on Elvis Night. H*ll, "Dog Night" might actually increase attendance, has anyone looked at the numbers?

As Charlie Finley told Bill Veeck in '77, "No one comes out to see a funeral." I know nothing puts people in the seats as much as a contender, but listen, this is the AL Central. The reality is that the Sox will contend for that. What I'd like to see is a plan that puts people in the seats so that players will want to play on South Side.

Randar68
02-23-2004, 05:02 PM
That's cool.

I think Patrick, basically being involved with his father's show and therefore in the same medium as DJ, shouldn't be calling for DJ to be fired.

it says: "A few tongue-in-cheek ideas from a Sox Fan"

Stupid AND Classless is no way to go through life.

hose
02-23-2004, 05:23 PM
I enjoyed the article .

Welcome aboard Patrick.

WinningUgly!
02-23-2004, 05:53 PM
Pat,
Welcome aboard & nice job on the column!

Brian,
Grow the hell up.

Daver
02-23-2004, 05:56 PM
He only had 14 or 15 posts on the message board before that column was posted. I had never even heard on his screenname before. Are you saying anyone can write for the site, whether or not they have any affiliation with this message board or have only visited the site for 2 weeks? Can anyone send an article in and get it printed that quickly on the front page of the site if their name isn't recognizable? Answer that honestly.

We have run articles from people that aren't registered for the message board at all.All of the work done here is on a volunteer basis,it doesn't matter who you are related to,if you submit something to us for publication,and we find it good enough to publish,it is going to go on the main page.

Submit something for publication,and you will find yourself treated the same way.

Hell we even put up the drivel that I write,and I don't like it most of the time.

hold2dibber
02-23-2004, 06:03 PM

What are you talking about? What does the number of posts on the message board have to do with writing an article for the main page? They're totally distinct. Sounds to me like you don't like Steve Dahl for some reason, so you're ripping the article by Pat.

TornLabrum
02-23-2004, 06:57 PM
Torn,

Let's not dilute the quality of this website by kissing ass to pseudo local celebrities. To be quite honest, that column wasn't witty or clever at all, and nobody deserves preferencial treatment based on their name.

IN YOUR NOT-SO-HUMBLE OPINION. Speak for yourself, and believe me, I'm not one to kiss anybody's ass (unless they happen to employ me--I like my paycheck).

TornLabrum
02-23-2004, 06:59 PM
Ok, Pat.

Pat Dahl had nothing to do with the use of the phrase "WSI's Patrick Dahl." If you want to bitch about that, talk to PHG. It's his freakin' web site.

TornLabrum
02-23-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Hal has a good article this week too, I always feel like I get suckered in, and then start cursing myself when the Sox struggle in April!

Pudge, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person that happens to!

TornLabrum
02-23-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla

So did I, which is why I pointed it out in to start this thread. I also gave Guy Bacci's article a plug. So far Brian hasn't accused me of kissing Guy Bacci's ass, and for that I'm most grateful.

TornLabrum
02-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
Never heard the nickname "The Joan" before. Who came up with that? 'Cause that sounds pretty lame and obscure.

Article was pretty good. What's wrong with any member of this site submitting an article? Who cares who they are?

Brian does. Or at least I guess we have to find out if he approves of our parents if we write anything.

Brian26
02-23-2004, 08:49 PM
Brian does. Or at least I guess we have to find out if he approves of our parents if we write anything.

Well, if our parents are famous enough, maybe Coho Labrum will make it a point to start a new thread with our name in it telling everyone how funny and witty it is.

That "Joan" reference just killed it for me, I'm sorry.

Brian26
02-23-2004, 08:57 PM
So did I, which is why I pointed it out in to start this thread. I also gave Guy Bacci's article a plug. So far Brian hasn't accused me of kissing Guy Bacci's ass, and for that I'm most grateful.

Interesting enough, Guy Bacci's name didn't make it to the title of this thread did it? Hmmm.

It says "FUNNY ARTICLE BY PATRICK DAHL". I guess Guy isn't witty enough to get top billing, eh?

Brian26
02-23-2004, 09:02 PM
IN YOUR NOT-SO-HUMBLE OPINION. Speak for yourself, and believe me, I'm not one to kiss anybody's ass (unless they happen to employ me--I like my paycheck).

I love watching people get aroused over Grade Z local celebrities like this.

TornLabrum
02-23-2004, 09:05 PM

Seems like you were the most aroused of anyone here.

Daver
02-23-2004, 09:09 PM

And I find it hysterical that you can read so much into a volunteer's work on a fan website.If you have that big a problem with the editorial policy here you could always choose not to read what is on the main page.

Unless you want the attention,in which case I would reccomend submitting something for publication,it might get you the attention your'e seeking.

Brian26
02-23-2004, 09:24 PM
Ok, I just went back and re-read Patrick's column. I don't know what I was thinking before! IT'S FRIGGIN BRILLIANT! I especially love "The Joan" reference. It's gold.

Great job, Patrick! WELCOME ABOARD!

Patrick134
02-23-2004, 09:30 PM
That's cool Brian, it takes a big man to admit he was wrong about something. Now maybe we can get back to a truly important subject. White Sox baseball!!!!!!

TornLabrum
02-23-2004, 09:54 PM
The thing that bugs me about this whole thread is that this is far from the first time I've started a thread "Nice Article by Joe Blow" or some such title. Now somehow I'm supposed to be kissing someone's ass for doing it.

Yes, I knew who Patrick Dahl is. No, that did not influence my putting something up here about the article. I've done the same thing for Lip and others when I've liked something they've written, and others have started threads complimenting me.

I read Brian's review of "Veeck as in Wreck," and it is quite good. Brian, you might want to consider writing something for the home page.

Now I suppose, someone will accuse me of kissing Brian's ass.

WinningUgly!
02-23-2004, 10:08 PM
I read Brian's review of "Veeck as in Wreck," and it is quite good. Brian, you might want to consider writing something for the home page.

Now I suppose, someone will accuse me of kissing Brian's ass.
Ass kisser! :)

KingXerxes
02-23-2004, 10:27 PM
I still want to know what's up with Steve Dahl and Ken Harrelson. It was fairly obvious that Harrelson wanted nothing to do with Dahl when he was up in the booth last year.

C'mon Patrick - let us in on it.

patbooyah
02-24-2004, 01:07 AM
as far as i know- the hawk and my dad are pals. i asked, and i guess it was hawk's inning off so he was being quiet- i have a tape of it that i'll go back and watch.

anyways- regardless of how hawk feels, everyone in my family really respects him as a broadcaster. we are still mourning the loss of wimpy.

my personal favorite, though? ed farmer.

StillMissOzzie
02-24-2004, 03:06 AM

Pat,
You had me and then you lost me!

SMO

hold2dibber
02-24-2004, 08:40 AM

It is fairly obvious to me that you slammed the article for the very reason that the author is related to a local celebrity. Your "review" of the article took more pot shots at the author's father and reeked of bias. It seems to me that you (and only you) got aroused by the identity of the author, and you had a negative, knee jerk reaction to it.

KingXerxes
02-24-2004, 10:19 AM
as far as i know- the hawk and my dad are pals. i asked, and i guess it was hawk's inning off so he was being quiet- i have a tape of it that i'll go back and watch.

anyways- regardless of how hawk feels, everyone in my family really respects him as a broadcaster. we are still mourning the loss of wimpy.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Watch the tape - it's kind of strange how Harrelson almost goes out of his way to not respond to inquiry after inquiry that your dad was making. Maybe it was just an off day (or inning), but it was really awkward.

bennyw41
02-24-2004, 10:20 AM
Brian, you lost a lot of credibility here on this thread. Its obvious you used to be a big Dahl fan, and then something happened. Because your insulting Dahl with Dahl-isms. NO-ONE IS BRINGING UP THE FACT THAT HE'S A Z-LIST CELEBRITY OTHER THAN YOU. HE'S JUST A SOX FAN.

PREACH ON PAT.

TornLabrum
02-24-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
Pat,
You had me and then you lost me!

SMO

You have to admit, once Farmer gets going, you never really know where he's going to end up. It's like listening to another person's stream of consciousness.

What I really like about Farmer is when he talks pitching.

alohafri
02-24-2004, 09:53 PM

She's too busy negotiating Garry's contract. How is that going by the way?
:whiner:

alohafri
02-24-2004, 09:54 PM
You have to admit, once Farmer gets going, you never really know where he's going to end up. It's like listening to another person's stream of consciousness.

That's what I love about Farmio!

34 Inch Stick
02-25-2004, 12:52 PM
Brian, what is your problem. I doubt you would have such a hard on for any other member who gave of their time by submitting an article then apologized for an offense in his post. It leads me (along with a few other people here) to wonder what is fueling your antagonism. Since you haven't met Pat and he has only posted a few times it cannot be a past slight. There really is only one logical reason for your level of response.

You want to be pissed off at favoritism? Go kick Francis Ford Coppola in the balls for ruining the Godfather in order to forward his daughter's career. I'll applaud you for that.

This however is a small website focused on a narrow topic which is probably viewed by 500 regularly in the off season. Keep it in your pants, graciously welcome the kid and encourage him to post more often.

Time is a tyrant and Garry Meier sucks!

TornLabrum
02-25-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Brian, what is your problem. I doubt you would have such a hard on for any other member who gave of their time by submitting an article then apologized for an offense in his post. It leads me (along with a few other people here) to wonder what is fueling your antagonism. Since you haven't met Pat and he has only posted a few times it cannot be a past slight. There really is only one logical reason for your level of response.

You want to be pissed off at favoritism? Go kick Francis Ford Coppola in the balls for ruining the Godfather in order to forward his daughter's career. I'll applaud you for that.

This however is a small website focused on a narrow topic which is probably viewed by 500 regularly in the off season. Keep it in your pants, graciously welcome the kid and encourage him to post more often.

Time is a tyrant and Garry Meier sucks!

Can I hear an amen?

PaleHoseGeorge
02-25-2004, 09:24 PM
I truly enjoyed Pat's column, and I told him so. I'm glad nearly everyone else enjoyed it, too.

BTW, I have a well-deserved reputation for sticking up for the folks who volunteer their work on behalf of the site. I'm glad so many of you saw fit to stick up for Pat.

RedPinStripes
02-25-2004, 10:07 PM
Good article Pat.

And Brian..............You dont have to be a prick all the time ya know?

CLR01
02-26-2004, 08:24 AM
...and Garry Meier sucks!

Maybe but he is still 10x better than Dahl.

Good article.

34 Inch Stick
02-26-2004, 01:05 PM
Yet Dahl will be remembered as an innovator in his industry with one of the largest and longest sustaining fan bases in the history of radio. Garry (with two rs) will only be remembered in relation to Steve.

Brian26
02-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Yet Dahl will be remembered as an innovator in his industry with one of the largest and longest sustaining fan bases in the history of radio.

There's a line of **** if I've ever heard one. Howard Stern has become everything Steve dreamed to be- Movie deal, national television, media figure. Steve will be remembered as a footnote in history.

And anyone who can't recognize Garry's contribution to the show over the decade that he was there is completely brainwashed.

34 Inch Stick
02-26-2004, 02:11 PM
Being a Stern fan and a Dahl fan are not mutually exclusive. I like both shows and consider both of them top radio. Your boy Garry is the odd man out in that grouping.

I'll agree with you that the Dave and Joy years were horrible as was AM1000. Since Buzz has been on the show it has returned to greatness.

voodoochile
02-26-2004, 02:20 PM
There's a line of **** if I've ever heard one. Howard Stern has become everything Steve dreamed to be- Movie deal, national television, media figure. Steve will be remembered as a footnote in history.

And anyone who can't recognize Garry's contribution to the show over the decade that he was there is completely brainwashed.

Steve invented the concept of Shock Jock. Without him, there would be no Howard Stern.

Hangar18
02-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Steve invented the concept of Shock Jock. Without him, there would be no Howard Stern.

Yep. and the bottom line is.....Pats old man was a Big Sox Fan,
and didnt mind anyone knowing in a past age of Athletically Correctness (which has now all gone out the window with the arrival of the The Messiah, The Bigot & The Media). He gets kudos for being a Sox Fan even though its not "cool" in the Medias eyes. And apparently, did something right because Pats a big fan too. And that makes them brothers in our Nation

Brian26
02-26-2004, 02:42 PM
Being a Stern fan and a Dahl fan are not mutually exclusive. I like both shows and consider both of them top radio. Your boy Garry is the odd man out in that grouping.

I'll agree with you that the Dave and Joy years were horrible as was AM1000. Since Buzz has been on the show it has returned to greatness.

I was a huge Steve and Garry fan. Steve hasn't done a whole lot to impress me since September of '93. For that matter, I much prefer Garry with Steve as opposed to on his own or with Roe.

Wendy is a waste of space, but I've always liked Buzz in the Paul Schaeffer role.

Brian26
02-26-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Yep. and the bottom line is.....Pats old man was a Big Sox Fan,
and didnt mind anyone knowing in a past age of Athletically Correctness

Hangar, I love you brother, but Dahl is/was a bigger hop-on-the-bandwagon guy than Mariotti. Dahl was DRIVING the Cubs bandwagon in '89. And as soon as the Sox started doing poorly, all Steve would talk about was getting rid of his season tix and cup-holder in the club section.

steff
02-26-2004, 05:45 PM
And as soon as the Sox started doing poorly, all Steve would talk about was getting rid of his season tix and cup-holder in the club section.

He already started doing it this year...

34 Inch Stick
02-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Pat Dahl can also be heard with his Spring Training report daily on the Steve Dahl Show on 105.9.

Pat, call yourself WSI's Pat Dahl at the beginning of your report just to piss off the stalking contigent.

RedPinStripes
02-26-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by steff
He already started doing it this year...

Half the Sox fans i know say they're not buying season tickets next year or say they're never going to another game till JR sells. What makes Steve Dahl so different then the average fan?

Brian26
02-26-2004, 08:15 PM
Pat, call yourself WSI's Pat Dahl at the beginning of your report just to piss off the stalking contigent.

I only stalk hot chicks like Steff :D:

Brian26
02-26-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
What makes Steve Dahl so different then the average fan?

The average fan can tell you Frank Thomas' uniform number :D:

RedPinStripes
02-26-2004, 11:04 PM
Steve is always a legend in my book just because of Disco Demolition! I wish i was of age to be there. Steve and Gary were the best. I tune in to WCKG every once in a while, but not much .

ScottyTheSoxFan
02-26-2004, 11:22 PM
:tomatoaward

TornLabrum
02-26-2004, 11:48 PM
Yet Dahl will be remembered as an innovator in his industry with one of the largest and longest sustaining fan bases in the history of radio. Garry (with two rs) will only be remembered in relation to Steve.

How could anyone possible overlick his amazing work with Roe Conn?

Just listen to both, and you can see who the pretender is: the one who is currently out of work.

TornLabrum
02-26-2004, 11:49 PM

Yes, he and Roe did such wonderful work. And on his own before he took on his most recent partner Garry was so successful!

TornLabrum
02-26-2004, 11:52 PM
I much prefer Garry with Steve as opposed to on his own or with Roe.

Which should tell you something about who actually had the talent.

TornLabrum
02-26-2004, 11:54 PM
Hangar, I love you brother, but Dahl is/was a bigger hop-on-the-bandwagon guy than Mariotti. Dahl was DRIVING the Cubs bandwagon in '89. And as soon as the Sox started doing poorly, all Steve would talk about was getting rid of his season tix and cup-holder in the club section.

Seems to me there are a lot of people here who would ask those of us who continue to go to Sox games why we continue to support Jerry Reinsdorf. Steve Dahl would seem to be in the group that wouldn't.

Patrick134
02-26-2004, 11:57 PM
I'm not the biggest garry fan, but you have to admit he has a great track record as a 2nd banana. I mean that in a good way. he's at his best adding little comments in to the conversation, and he has a quick wit. His solo show was horrible and awkward, that's just not for him. As a fan who thinks that steve and roe are both good at what they do, both their shows have proven to be better with garry than without. but solo, garry is horrendous.

CLR01
02-27-2004, 08:39 AM
Yes, he and Roe did such wonderful work. And on his own before he took on his most recent partner Garry was so successful!

One of the top rated radio programs in the nations third largest market. Yeah those guys stuck the place up.

Brian26
02-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Which should tell you something about who actually had the talent.

There's a coke-snorting joke in there somewhere, but I'll let it pass.

steff
02-27-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Half the Sox fans i know say they're not buying season tickets next year or say they're never going to another game till JR sells. What makes Steve Dahl so different then the average fan?

As you know.. I'm not part of that half, so I have no idea. :?:

KingXerxes
02-27-2004, 01:11 PM
I thought Steve Dahl was somewhat humorous until his ego started manifesting itself in his shows. Since that time (and it has been quite some time) he is intolerable.

soxwon
02-27-2004, 06:09 PM
is this steve dahls son?
nice article on the wsi sight by the way.

pudge
02-27-2004, 06:11 PM
gosh dude, you really need to read other threads before you post.

soxwon
02-27-2004, 06:13 PM
ok ok sorry- chill out
just saw it, sorry dude
now go eater supper.

RedPinStripes
02-28-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by steff
As you know.. I'm not part of that half, so I have no idea. :?:

Just remember, The Sox ****ty roster this year is partially due to my Sox fest Boycott and because i only go to about 15 games a year and still get it thrown in my face that the fans never show and it's my fault that the Sox cant put a team on the field. I dont spend enough money, you dont , and none of the members here do. "White Sox baseball............IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT! "

Damn bitchy Sox fans.