PDA

View Full Version : Frank To Remain In The Three Hole

SEALgep
02-22-2004, 08:50 PM
I'm not sure if that was ever in question, but it was confirmed by Guillen. He seemed to be speaking well of Frank which makes me feel more confident than I already was that the two will be just fine.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7110666

fquaye149
02-22-2004, 09:00 PM
assuming he stays on the squad till then

SEALgep
02-22-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
assuming he stays on the squad till then That's certainly true, but I believe he will come in ready to play and a desire to want to stay.

anewman35
02-22-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
assuming he stays on the squad till then

:farmer

"Thomas has to have a good spring to make this team."

Deadguy
02-22-2004, 09:47 PM
"I expect him to be on time," Guillen said. "I know he's ready to play this season. I think he's a free agent next year, and I hope he has a great year for us and hopefully makes good money for the future."

oldcomiskey
02-22-2004, 09:54 PM
I was sure I read somewhere that Ozie had already said Magglio was gonna hit 3rd--unless Maggs aint gonna be here

JRIG
02-22-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
:farmer

"Thomas has to have a good spring to make this team."

I love a post that makes me laugh out loud. Alone. In my bedroom.

Funny stuff.

A. Cavatica
02-22-2004, 10:26 PM
Yes, where should Frank be batting? Third? Fifth? Los Angeles?

It's going to be really hard for Guillen to assemble a functional batting order with this roster.

An interesting attempt to study the ideal attributes for each batting order position can be found here: http://www.pankin.com/markov/btn1191.pdf.

Pankin's conclusions for 1 through 9 were:
1) Getting on base is everything. To much lesser extent, home run hitters should not lead off. Stolen base ability is irrelevant.
2) Similar to the leadoff hitter, but not quite as crucial to get on base; some power is also desirable.
3) Should have fair power, be able to draw walks, and not strike out much.
4) Highest slugging average; also has a good on base percentage and is not necessarily the best home run hitter.
5) Good power; secondarily puts ball in play (i.e. does not walk or strike out a lot).
6) Hardest spot to characterize and probably least critical. Probably want to use player who doesn’t fit well in other positions. Base stealing ability is a small plus.
7-9) Decreasing overall abilities as hitters as characterized by on base percentage and measures of power hitting.
One clear result from this and prior studies is the importance of having the right batters at the top of the order. This follows from the finding that most of the difference in expected runs between high and low scoring lineups using the same players occurs in the first inning. In particular, the leadoff batter must have a high on base percentage. Also, the second hitter must be good. The practice of leading off a fast runner who can steal bases, but doesn’t get on base much, and putting a weak hitter “with good bat control who can bunt or hit behind the runner” second is a perfect prescription for a lower scoring batting order.

The Sox are in big trouble at the #1 spot, because they have nobody with a high OBP except for Frank and Magglio, and they have too much power to bat leadoff. Harris simply must approach his 2002-2003 numbers from Charlotte (approximately .370 OBP in 460 AB) or scoring runs will be a problem all year long.

The Sox are also in trouble at the #2 spot. I'm hoping Rowand can get his OBP up to .350, or Reed takes his spot and does the same.

It sounds like Frank should be batting cleanup now, because he has the highest slugging average and the most strikeouts. Magglio should bat third, Lee fifth, and Valentin, Crede, Konerko, Olivo 6-7-8-9.

Clearly, we need more production from our last four hitters (2003 OBPs: Valentin .313, Crede .308, Konerko .305, and Olivo .287), and we're still too slow and too righthanded.

MRKARNO
02-22-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica

The Sox are also in trouble at the #2 spot. I'm hoping Rowand can get his OBP up to .350, or Reed takes his spot and does the same.

I see reed as more of a leadoff hitter myself

Brian26
02-22-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
I love a post that makes me laugh out loud. Alone. In my bedroom.

Funny stuff.

Agreed. EXCELLENT post!!!

anewman35
02-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Agreed. EXCELLENT post!!!

Anybody know if they are broadcasting any spring games on radio this year? I can't wait to hear what great things Farmer has to say...

mike squires
02-22-2004, 11:46 PM
Anybody know if they are broadcasting any spring games on radio this year? I can't wait to hear what great things Farmer has to say...

Can you imagine doing a game up in a booth with the sockless Farmio? Peee Yuuuuuuu...

Brian26
02-22-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Can you imagine doing a game up in a booth with the sockless Farmio? Peee Yuuuuuuu...

Farmer was walking around Soxfest without socks on. I think it was 20 below on the Friday night he did the pitching seminar with E-Lo, Hoyt and Black Jack.

CubKilla
02-23-2004, 12:37 AM

I believe the first ST game to be broadcast on AM1000 will be 03/04.

CubKilla
02-23-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Yes, where should Frank be batting? Third? Fifth? Los Angeles?

It's going to be really hard for Guillen to assemble a functional batting order with this roster.

An interesting attempt to study the ideal attributes for each batting order position can be found here: http://www.pankin.com/markov/btn1191.pdf.

Pankin's conclusions for 1 through 9 were:

The Sox are in big trouble at the #1 spot, because they have nobody with a high OBP except for Frank and Magglio, and they have too much power to bat leadoff. Harris simply must approach his 2002-2003 numbers from Charlotte (approximately .370 OBP in 460 AB) or scoring runs will be a problem all year long.

It sounds like Frank should be batting cleanup now, because he has the highest slugging average and the most strikeouts. Magglio should bat third, Lee fifth, and Valentin, Crede, Konerko, Olivo 6-7-8-9.

Clearly, we need more production from our last four hitters (2003 OBPs: Valentin .313, Crede .308, Konerko .305, and Olivo .287), and we're still too slow and too righthanded.

The SCORE broadcast this prospective line-up for Opening Day during a broadcast on 02/22:

1. Rowand
2. Lee
3. Thomas
4. Ordonez
5. Konerko
6. Valentin
7. Crede
8. Harris
9. Olivo

I'd probably be inclined to swap Rowand and Harris.