PDA

View Full Version : A Breakdown of the Fifth Spot's Contenders

SEALgep
02-22-2004, 04:39 PM
http://www.futuresox.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=75

lowesox
02-22-2004, 05:32 PM
Best case scenario is Grilli wins the no. 4 spot and Rauch wins no. 5. And both of these guys live up to past expectations.

It's interesting to me that nobody talks about Danny Wright anymore for starting spots. Hopefully he'll play an important role this year in the pen.

SEALgep
02-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Best case scenario is Grilli wins the no. 4 spot and Rauch wins no. 5. And both of these guys live up to past expectations.

It's interesting to me that nobody talks about Danny Wright anymore for starting spots. Hopefully he'll play an important role this year in the pen. I like Wright throwing hard short innings out of the pen. I believe he will make a better reliever than starter, and eventually may even be good enough to close. We'll see, but I see him having an effective year as a reliever- not long reliever, although he could probably do that too.

Chisoxfn
02-22-2004, 07:32 PM
I think Scho is going to be handed the #4 spot in the rotation, which in my mind means that Cotts will be in AAA to start the season, unless he has a great spring.

Personally I'm picking Grilli. I think Wright would be a solid #5, but it seems as if the Sox have him ticketed for the pen.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-22-2004, 07:38 PM
Good article. I've also been hoping that Rauch or Grilli will finally live up to all their hype and perform better than last year's super 5th spot combination of Wright, Porzio, and Cotts. It's a shame Stewart got nailed last year and couldn't pitch for the rest of the year because he probably could've won enough games to change the sox from a 2nd place team at the end of the year to a 1st place team heading to the playoffs.

gosox41
02-23-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
I think Scho is going to be handed the #4 spot in the rotation, which in my mind means that Cotts will be in AAA to start the season, unless he has a great spring.

Personally I'm picking Grilli. I think Wright would be a solid #5, but it seems as if the Sox have him ticketed for the pen.

Schoenweis is going to be a lousy starting pitcher. Righthies hit .325 off him last season.

Since I don't expect the Sox to do too much this year I say let Rauch and another kid have the #5 spot. Put Schoeneweis in the BP and trade him mid-season if the Sox are out of it.

Bob

wsgdf
02-23-2004, 07:26 AM
Schoenweis is going to be a lousy starting pitcher. Righthies hit .325 off him last season.

Did you just make that number up? According to ESPN's splits, in 2003 righties hit .275 off of him with a .329 OBP and only a .374 SLG - that's not bad at all.

Coupled with the outstanding .227, .293, .277 numbers he held lefties to, he may actually be more effective then we think.

In about 65 innings he only gave up 3 homers, he struck out 56 and only walked 19.

Call me crazy, but these are the kind of numbers that suggest KW may have found his Loaiza II.

SEALgep
02-23-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by wsgdf
Did you just make that number up? According to ESPN's splits, in 2003 righties hit .275 off of him with a .329 OBP and only a .374 SLG - that's not bad at all.

Coupled with the outstanding .227, .293, .277 numbers he held lefties to, he may actually be more effective then we think.

In about 65 innings he only gave up 3 homers, he struck out 56 and only walked 19.

Call me crazy, but these are the kind of numbers that suggest KW may have found his Loaiza II. Ya, he really isn't that bad. In fact he could be real good. The organization remember have been trying to get him for three years before we actually got him. That says something in and of itself. They see something in him. They made it clear he has to work hard at ST, like everyone else, but his main job besides being generally ready, is to perfect his change up. They believe once he can do that, he will be far more effective against the righties. I think as of now it's a delivery issue, because I think he tellegraphs it. Coop will work with him, and I'm willing to give him a shot.

hold2dibber
02-23-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by wsgdf

Call me crazy, but these are the kind of numbers that suggest KW may have found his Loaiza II.

You're crazy. :D:

Schoenweiss, throughout his career, has posted pretty good numbers out of the bullpen (like last year), but pretty horrible numbers as a starter. That's why I think it's unlikely that the Sox will be lucky to get 160 IP and a sub-5.00 ERA out of him as a full-time starter. He should be in the pen.

Chisoxfn
02-23-2004, 02:25 PM
I've watched Scho a lot over the years and if I recall his bad season in Anaheim came after posting career numbers in innings and such. While his numbers as a starter weren't great, there were times in Anaheim where he looked more promising then Washburn.

If the Sox can get Scho to have good enough secondary pitches, I think he could be a very effective starter, especially for a 4th/5th starter.

I'm glad the Sox picked him up and I'm glad he'll get his chance here.