PDA

View Full Version : Gammons previews the central

MRKARNO
02-22-2004, 12:17 PM
:boston

Justifiably, the White Sox think they can win with a lineup that has Ordonez, Carlos Lee, Frank Thomas and company. Colon and Tom Gordon are big losses, and Ken Williams didn't have the cash to hit the market, so they face two big questions. The first is whether Miguel Olivo, Willie Harris and Aaron Rowand can produce up the middle (although Jeremy Reed could come vaulting out of the farm system). The second is finding starting depth after Mark Buehrle, Esteban Loaiza and Jon Garland, as well as the bullpen around Damaso Marte, Billy Koch and Japanese import Shingo Takatsu. This is a team that should have won based on the numbers and didn't. Ozzie Guillen's energy will be a fascinating component.

Chicago led the division in run differential, fewest runs allowed, most homers, fewest strikeouts and most walks by their hitters, best starters' ERA and most pitchers' strikeouts and did not finish first

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1741440

This article is more about the indians than anything, but still a not terrible preview of the division.

Brian26
02-22-2004, 12:20 PM
You mean Peter Gammons didn't pick the Red Sox to win the AL Central too? THAT'S how good they really are!

WinningUgly!
02-22-2004, 01:10 PM
Chicago led the division in run differential, fewest runs allowed, most homers, fewest strikeouts and most walks by their hitters, best starters' ERA and most pitchers' strikeouts

I am amazed by these numbers. It is almost impossible to lead the division in all of these categories & not end up with the best record.

doctor30th
02-22-2004, 01:13 PM
Well last year it felt like the sox were an all or nothing type team. When they won everything went right, when they lost everyting went wrong.

I know it's not actually the case, but it seemed like it.

MRKARNO
02-22-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I am amazed by these numbers. It is almost impossible to lead the division in all of these categories & not end up with the best record.

:jerry

"Well, when you tinker as much as I like to, nothing's impossible"

duke of dorwood
02-22-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

:jerry

Factor me in